Magic Cold Remedies

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colby2000. Show Colby2000's posts

Magic Cold Remedies

So, my shower is this coming Saturday.  I know the date and time, but all other details are a secret.  My bridesmaids and my mom have done so much planning for this shower and are so excited, and I of course cannot wait.  Of course, I have managed to come down with a horrible cold.  Who gets a cold when it is 90 degrees out?!  I called in sick today and am in bed.  I know that I will likely feel much better by Saturday, but am wondering if any of you have any magic cold remedies.  I know, lots of rest, fluids, etc....but anyone else have any tips?!

I know that I have been out straight lately with work, grad school, and the wedding.  I always manage to get sick when I get little sleep and am stressed.  It makes me worried about right before the wedding, or even right after as I usually get sick after stressful periods (grad school classes ended Thurs and voila, I'm sick now!)  I do have impeccable timing!  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Magic Cold Remedies

Yes, but only if you have congestion/tightness in your chest. 

This sounds gross, but it really is pretty tasty.  Ask Pingo - she tried it for bronchitis and had fabulous results.

Onion syrup:

Finely dice a large onion, place in jar, add equal volume of sugar, shake and let sit overnight at room temperature.  The sugar will draw out the juice of the onion.  Take 3 tablespoons 3 times a day.

If you are diabetic take as much as you think you can handle.  Also as Pingo about this; she is, and I don't know how much she took, but it did work.

Do NOT speed up the process by cooking the mixture.  Heat destroys the essential oils and enzymes that make the remedy work.

Feel better!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Sleep, orange juice, and vegetable soup always work for me. Take a day or two off work and just sleep all day. It's amazing what it can do for you.

Hope you start feeling better soon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

You need to sleep.  If Benadryl makes you sleepy take the maximum amount recommended, get into bed and sleep.  I won't even tell you how much benadryl I take, its the maximum amount recommended for allergic reactions (more than is on the box).  If you want, I'll tell you how much it is, but don't take that as a recommendation!

Take a day off from work if you have to.  But you have to sleep.  Also, chicken soup.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal1124. Show mezzogal1124's posts

Sleep is the best.  For temporary (but effective) relief of sore throats and stuffed sinuses, try this:

--boil water and pour into a mug
    --add 1 tsp horseradish
    --add 1 tsp honey

The taste will take a while to get used to, but this concoction truly does make me feel more comfortable when I have a painful throat.  The horseradish opens up your sinuses and the honey soothes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colby2000. Show Colby2000's posts

Thanks ladies so much!  Back to bed!  :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Colby - it sounds like you are really run down from all the stress you have been going though lately. And yes, sleep is one of the best remedies.
    I swear by home made chicken soup for a massive cold. I buy whole chickens (old foul even better) when they are on sale and make a huge pot of it adding other goodies. Carrots, celery, onions, leeks. Then I strain it and freeze in small portions for when a cold hits.
    Listen to Kar, she has plenty of great advice as far as alternative meds. I tried her remedy of the onion syrup. It works so well for when you have chest congestion. I put a cut up onion and sugar (I measure by eye) in my mini chopper and give it a whirl. No need for time consuming grating. Especially if onions make you cry.
    Hope you feel better soon, so you can enjoy your shower. - Pingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Pingo, Dear.  I agree, no need for grating.  I suggested that only to you so you could use less sugar to draw out the juices given your diabetes.  I just dice them, but if I had a food processor I'd do that instead and would recommend it for anyone who can handle the sugar better.

And, absolutely, the advice to take a day off and truly sleep as much as possible (watching TV is not sleeping!) is the best.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colby2000. Show Colby2000's posts

Ladies, thanks so much!  I am home again for day #2 but am hoping that another day of sleep will kick this to the curb.  If only I had the strength to go out to the grocery store and buy all the stuff to make these wonderful remedies!  Seriously though, in the winter I usually keep homemade chicken soup in the freezer.  But by August, a cold was the last thing I was thinking about!  Oh well, so far the fluids and sleep have been doing me well.  It is scary how much I slept yesterday!  (Although, I'll admit to watching a few episodes of Say Yes to the Dress - I never have time to watch it but finally did!)  But, I am determined to be well for Saturday!

Now, of course my mom keeps asking me if I need to call the doctor...what if it is swine flu?!  Ah, gotta love moms!  :)

Thank you all for your help and well wishes!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I understand you were thinking of me. But I only use about half the amount of sugar, you recommend. And I get plenty of onion juice.
    And oh, it makes a wonderful salad dressing. Yummy!

In Response to Re: Magic Cold Remedies:
    [QUOTE]Thanks, Pingo, Dear.  I agree, no need for grating.  I suggested that only to you so you could use less sugar to draw out the juices given your diabetes.  I just dice them, but if I had a food processor I'd do that instead and would recommend it for anyone who can handle the sugar better. And, absolutely, the advice to take a day off and truly sleep as much as possible (watching TV is not sleeping!) is the best.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

hot & sour soup, on the spicier side, from a chinese restaurant does the trick for me every time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

If you are having a sore throat and/or post nasal drip, I highly recommend gargling with warm salt water.  I usually just take like 0.5 cup water and dump in a teaspoon or 2 of salt (it should taste pretty salty), microwave for like 20 seconds (you want it hot, but not too hot!).  Take a sip, gargle and spit.  It totally breaks up all the phlegm and clears out your throat and the back of your nose.  It always makes me feel a lot better and I get better faster.  I do it morning and night until the cold is gone.

The other remedy:  zinc lozenges.  I really believe they shorten the length of a cold. 

I hope you feel better!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Use a neti pot! They're relatively cheap at CVS. It really helps with sinus congestion, if that's a problem. Seriously, try it, it seems gross at first but it really helps!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Magic Cold Remedies:
    [QUOTE]Kar, I understand you were thinking of me. But I only use about half the amount of sugar, you recommend. And I get plenty of onion juice. And oh, it makes a wonderful salad dressing. Yummy! In Response to Re: Magic Cold Remedies :
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

That's great, Pingo.  Maybe I'll try it with 1/2 the sugar myself next time.  No need for me to have it, either.  And, yeah, try it in marinades, too - it does wonders for chicken and pork. :)

OP, are you feeling better?  Sorry, can't remember your name right now....  Hope you are over the cold hump and will enjoy your shower.  Oh, whatever you do, do NOT take a nasal spray.  I did that to attend a shower, actually, when I had a terrible cold.  And, it did exactly what it said it would, relieved my congestion.  What it doesn't say is how it does it.  It does NOT dry up your nose, it makes it drip like a water faucet open all the way for 12 hours.  No kidding, I walked around with a tissue under my nose the whole time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colby2000. Show Colby2000's posts

Hi Kar,

I am feeling much better, thanks for asking!  I was feeling pretty lousy through Wednesday night but woke up Thurs morning feeling like a new woman!  Thanks to you all for your great suggestions.  I am so looking forward to my shower tomorrow morning!  I can't wait!  :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

YAY!!  Have a great time; so happy to hear you turned the corner on that nasty cold and can really enjoy yourself.  Great weather, too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colby2000. Show Colby2000's posts

Kar, thanks!  I will say, I am pretty excited!  My BMs and Mom really wanted it to be a surprise, but I am not a surprise person.  I like to plan (and wear the perfect outfit!)  So as a compromise, the location is a surprise.  I am so excited!  Right now my FI is dropping his mom off at a undisclosed location.  She came up from NY this afternoon on the train and we had dinner with just her tonight as her b-day was yesterday.  She is staying overnight near where the shower is, or so I have been told.  I have a feeling he may be driving around in circles just to throw me off!

And the weather is perfect....I keep thinking of all the brides this weekend who must be so happy! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Colby, I totally relate and had to laugh at your surprise compromise.  Love it.  I could totally deal with the location being a surprise. ;)  Exciting times - drink it all in, Hon, and try to calm down and get a good night's beauty sleep.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colby2000. Show Colby2000's posts

Thanks!  I'm thinking I may have to go back to the Nyquil tonight just to get to sleep!  :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colby2000. Show Colby2000's posts

Thank you all for your great suggestions.  My shower was on Saturday and was more than I could have ever dreamed of!  My mom and bridesmaids planned a wonderful shower at the Hawthorn Hotel in Salem and it was amazing!