missing thank-yous

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

missing thank-yous

this isn't really a question or seeking of advice - i just wondered if any of you have encountered this problem... MIL mentioned to DH that DH's aunt had asked if we ever received her shower gift (she mailed).  i was a bit horrified, because i sent all of my thank-yous out mid-to-late May!  i definitely sent one to her.  so i asked DH to verify aunt's address, but it put this idea in my head about thank-yous going missing and people thinking either we never received their gift or are ungrateful louses!!  I hope this did not happen with anyone else's note! 

have any of you had this happen and, if so, what have you done?  I'm planning to send another thank-you, but, of course, don't know if it happened with anyone else's!

p.s. I should mention... I happily dropped all of my shower thank-yous in the mailbox and was so proud of myself for getting them all done... then realized I had forgotten to put return-addresses on all of them!!  not so smart!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: missing thank-yous

I'm not sure if it happened to me; no one contacted anyone about it afterwards, but statistically things DO get lost in the mail.  They also get misplaced after they arrive at the house by the DH...at least that happens here! LOL

I know you said you weren't looking for advice, but I think writing another note is a great idea.  And, I'd include in it this story (in a lighthearted way) and laugh about maybe their getting two notes but you wanted to be sure they know you got it and love it.

~kar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

The post office stinks.  I didn't realize how terrible they are until we started sending out invitations and thank-you notes.  One woman received her shower invite and thank-you note, but her wedding invitation was returned to us as undeliverable.  Same thing with another woman -- she got the shower invite and wedding invite, but her thank-you note was returned to us as undeliverable.  So frustrating!

I think with the thank-you note, I'm going to send it back to her still in the envelope, so she can see that it was returned to us (I don't know her well, she's on FI's side, so not sure if she'd believe me).  I'm going to put it in a larger envelope along with a note explaining what happened and that I'm sorry it didn't make it to her sooner.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Yes!  We've had the same thing happen.  2 shower ty's came back after a few weeks.   Oddly, 2 were sent to the same address, on the same day - 1 was delivered & 1 was returned to us. 

So far, only 1 wedding ty has come back, but it's someone I don't know well.  I was thinking the same as KMT - putting it in a larger envelope so she knows she wasn't forgotten.  Is that ok to do?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's OK to do, of course, but I didn't.  I had two invitations returned to me in messed up envelopes, and I re-enveloped them so they'd be pretty.  I went to the big trouble of doing wax seals so I wasn't about to send messed up envelopes.  Although, I should mention that those people knew they got returned to me because I had to ask my FMIL for their post office boxes (I had sent them to their street addresses) so she told them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

In Response to Re: missing thank-yous:
    [QUOTE]The post office stinks.  I didn't realize how terrible they are until we started sending out invitations and thank-you notes.  One woman received her shower invite and thank-you note, but her wedding invitation was returned to us as undeliverable.  Same thing with another woman -- she got the shower invite and wedding invite, but her thank-you note was returned to us as undeliverable.  So frustrating! I think with the thank-you note, I'm going to send it back to her still in the envelope, so she can see that it was returned to us (I don't know her well, she's on FI's side, so not sure if she'd believe me).  I'm going to put it in a larger envelope along with a note explaining what happened and that I'm sorry it didn't make it to her sooner.
    Posted by kmt09[/QUOTE]
    When we lived in Moultonborough NH we first had a Center Harbor postal box, then Moultonborough.  Every month 5 to 10 letters addressed to people with different PO Box numbers ended up in our box, sloppy sorting.  We also had lots of stuff returned as undeliverable, when people who got our mail by mistake wrote a note on it " not at this address" as though it were to someone who used to have the box, instead of noting or telling the PO staff, put in the wrong box, sort and deliver again (stuff we did get, days to a week late.  Frustrating as heck.  And it does make you wonder, when you send out something important, will it ever get there?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I didn't have any issues (at least that I know of), but my friend sent me a wedding invitation in June that I never received and never went back to the return address.  Weird!!  She had misspelled my street, left out one letter, but I receive mail addressed to that incorrect spelling ALL the time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It seems the post office takes joy in messing up wedding stuff.  I never seem to have our bills get returned!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

[QUOTE]It seems the post office takes joy in messing up wedding stuff.  I never seem to have our bills get returned!!
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

So true!  I wonder if my credit card company would believe that the post office must have just lost my payment?  :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Heather, I get at least three pieces of mail a week for people who don't live in my apartment.  Usually, it's much, much more.  I tend to pile it on the kitchen table so I can return it all at once, but my roommate has a habit of just throwing it all away.  So, better safe than sorry.  A lot of mail goes undelivered.

Did anyone hear about that mailman that stored junk mail in his backyard instead of delivering it?  He was prosecuted, but I think everyone on his route loved him. Cool

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]So true!  I wonder if my credit card company would believe that the post office must have just lost my payment?  :)
    Posted by kmt09[/QUOTE]

They'd probably believe you, but you would still have to pay them.  :)  And they might charge you a late fee because it wasn't their fault.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]It's OK to do, of course, but I didn't.  I had two invitations returned to me in messed up envelopes, and I re-enveloped them so they'd be pretty.  I went to the big trouble of doing wax seals so I wasn't about to send messed up envelopes.  Although, I should mention that those people knew they got returned to me because I had to ask my FMIL for their post office boxes (I had sent them to their street addresses) so she told them.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

I would probably use the messed up envelopes so people would know that I really had sent it the first time, and I hadn't forgotten them.  I know too many people who would look at the postmark and say, "Lost in the mail, my foot!"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cherrywebb. Show cherrywebb's posts

I was a little offended when I didn't get an invite to a good friend's baby shower until her sister had to track me down to see why I never RSVP'd. Turns out my mail person likes to shove small envelopes into junk magazines that I get. I didn't even find it until after the shower when I was throwing away a stack of old mail that I had never gone through. Since then we've also found bills and such hidden in the weekly junk flyers.
    So yes, things like that do happen often. Gotta love the USPS!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Thanks everyone!