new to board - wedding guest dilemma

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Re: new to board - wedding guest dilemma

My wedding date is on my FSIL's birthday.  Oh well.  And, it's a week away from mine.  I'll have my anniversary and birthday within a week of each other.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

My wedding was two days after my cousin's birthday and a day after my sister's birthday so we had the RD on her birthday. I did ask my sister since she was my MOH if she minded that we would have the RD on her birthday, she didn't.  In fact she said it would make it easier to remember my anniversary. :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I never even thought that it might be weird to some people.  Great, another thing to worry about!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I don't know why DH and I thought people would be upset if our wedding was on their birthday, but we erred on the side of caution. IMO it's a silly thing to get upset over, but you never know...That's why we couldn't have an early spring or fall wedding. Most of my families' b-days are in the early spring, his are all in the early fall.
    Oh well!

In Response to Re: new to board - wedding guest dilemma:
    [QUOTE]My wedding date is on my FSIL's birthday.  Oh well.  And, it's a week away from mine.  I'll have my anniversary and birthday within a week of each other.
    Posted by Goodness1[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Since we got engaged, we had always dreamed of getting married in the Fall time.  That meant, sometime between September - November.  We searched all the possible weekends in September, and they were all taken.  I didn't want to get married on my birthday, but never thought it would be weird to get married on my FSIL's birthday.  We didn't even ask, actually!!  EEK.  I hope she isn't upset.  It's too late to ask now being that we've been engaged and planning our wedding for over a year and a half now.  Now, we're 6 weeks out.  Too late to change anything now. 

I just didn't think that it was a big deal.  It was MORE important that we stayed away from our own birthdays (his is in the Winter time).  That's as far as our minds went. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]My wedding was two days after my cousin's birthday and a day after my sister's birthday so we had the RD on her birthday. I did ask my sister since she was my MOH if she minded that we would have the RD on her birthday, she didn't.  In fact she said it would make it easier to remember my anniversary. :)
    Posted by wendy98[/QUOTE]

It's true.  My sister's anniversary is my half-birthday, and I always know when it is.  Sure, we don't really celebrate half-birthdays as adults, but I was 14 when she got married, so it stuck with me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

There were actually 4 people whose birthday was the same as our wedding day.  We had a cake for them, sang Happy Birthday. 

They were so pleased we remembered it was "their" day, too.

And we solved the dilemma of what kind of wedding cake to get!!  Chocolate for the birthday cake, strawberry/grand marnier for the wedding cake. 

Everyone wins.

I would definitely get a small cake if you know it's anyone's birthday at your wedding or RD.  After all, it IS their day, too.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

My nieces bday is on Dec 7th, and I don't think anyone has ever said anything about Pearl Harbor Day....

Trex, that is funny about the 13th, because I would NEVER get married on a 13th! LOL. Get married on the 18th, then we can have the same anniversary! :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: new to board - wedding guest dilemma : It's true.  My sister's anniversary is my half-birthday, and I always know when it is.  Sure, we don't really celebrate half-birthdays as adults, but I was 14 when she got married, so it stuck with me.
    Posted by lucy7368[/QUOTE]
    I celebrate my half birthday...granted it is something I do for myself I celebrate with a donut and I don't make a big deal of it. I think it is a fun thing to do on my own.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

[QUOTE]There were actually 4 people whose birthday was the same as our wedding day.  We had a cake for them, sang Happy Birthday.  They were so pleased we remembered it was "their" day, too. And we solved the dilemma of what kind of wedding cake to get!!  Chocolate for the birthday cake, strawberry/grand marnier for the wedding cake.  Everyone wins. I would definitely get a small cake if you know it's anyone's birthday at your wedding or RD.  After all, it IS their day, too.  
    Posted by cosmogirl[/QUOTE]

Although, that's a sweet idea of having cake for someone's birthday, since it falls ON our wedding day, we won't have a separate birthday cake for her.  Might sound awful, but that's just how we feel.  We might mention that it's her birthday coming up at our RD (which is 2 days prior), otherwise, no. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Wait a minute? Are people actually implying that the b&g need to ASK permission of ALL their guests if it is OK to have their wedding when they want it to be? My birthday is October 14th, my friend got married October 12th last year. Did I care? No. The only thing that kind of s*cked is that I was a little too hungover at her wedding and couldn't act like my awesome crazy dancing self. Geez. If anyone is upset that their birthday falls on or near my wedding, TOO BAD.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

[QUOTE]Wait a minute? Are people actually implying that the b&g need to ASK permission of ALL their guests if it is OK to have their wedding when they want it to be? My birthday is October 14th, my friend got married October 12th last year. Did I care? No. The only thing that kind of s*cked is that I was a little too hungover at her wedding and couldn't act like my awesome crazy dancing self. Geez. If anyone is upset that their birthday falls on or near my wedding, TOO BAD.
    Posted by Sept2010Bride[/QUOTE]

Perfectly put!!  What are we?  A bunch of 8 year olds?  Oh no!  Give me a break.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: new to board - wedding guest dilemma : Perfectly put!!  What are we?  A bunch of 8 year olds?  Oh no!  Give me a break.

I'm so glad somebody else said this.  You know how people find brides that always say "it's MY day" to be totally obnoxious?  That's what I think of people who say this about their birthdays.  Drives me nuts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I am so SICK of people complaining about other peoples weddings. Whether it be dates, times, days of the week. Listen, you got your chance to get married, so give us our chance.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Haha!  My mom is superstitious too, so she probably wouldn't like it if we got married on a 13.  She flew to India one year on a Friday the 13th.  When I got home, I found she had left all the kids strange presents in the closet that just said "Love you! Mom".  They were "in case the plane crashed" presents!  Isn't that nuts?

But 13 is lucky for me:  our first date was on 13, my work extension is 13 (I love my job), our house is #13, and if we get married next year, we will have been together for 13 years.  Crazy, huh?  Nov 13 is a Sat, so I'm vaguely thinking about that, although I prefer early fall.  :)

And yes, it is nuts to worry about other people's birthdays at your wedding.  It is a nice gesture to mention it, but I don't even think you need a separate cake unless you want to. 

[QUOTE]My nieces bday is on Dec 7th, and I don't think anyone has ever said anything about Pearl Harbor Day.... Trex, that is funny about the 13th, because I would NEVER get married on a 13th! LOL. Get married on the 18th, then we can have the same anniversary! :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

not at all, you don't need to ask permission, but you do need to be considerate of it. I think having a cake or cupcake or even a card for them and acknowledging their birthday is what you'd do on any other day, so why not take a moment during your wedding to recognize it?
    I've been to weddings where birthdays or anniversaries of guests were recognized. It's just the courteous thing to do, unless the person is like me and hates having "Happy Birthday" sung to them.

[QUOTE]Wait a minute? Are people actually implying that the b&g need to ASK permission of ALL their guests if it is OK to have their wedding when they want it to be? My birthday is October 14th, my friend got married October 12th last year. Did I care? No. The only thing that kind of s*cked is that I was a little too hungover at her wedding and couldn't act like my awesome crazy dancing self. Geez. If anyone is upset that their birthday falls on or near my wedding, TOO BAD.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

If it were a family member, then yes. But my friend didn't do squat for me.

I would much rather do something at a RD than a wedding.  I am not going to give a cake to my dad's 65 year old co-worker whom I barely know.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

no, but even in an office where people have more important things to do, you still take tiem to acknowledge someone's birthday. Not because they're 8 yrs old but because it's the nice thing to do.
    Since when did we all decide we should ignore people's birthdays?

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: new to board - wedding guest dilemma : Perfectly put!!  What are we?  A bunch of 8 year olds?  Oh no!  Give me a break.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Because Pink, you have to understand....birthdays come every year. Your wedding comes once. And, I undertand that if it is my brothers birthday, or my mother, or my BEST friend in the whole wide world, fine. But if it is my FI's mom's friend from her book club, then sorry, no I am not going to acknowledge it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

well, how would you even know it was his/her birthday?
    If you don't know and aren't close to them and wouldn't normally recognize their birthday, then I guess you don't need to do it during your wedding.

[QUOTE]If it were a family member, then yes. But my friend didn't do squat for me. I would much rather do something at a RD than a wedding.  I am not going to give a cake to my dad's 65 year old co-worker whom I barely know.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

who said anything about these far-flung people? Who said anything about that?
    How would you even know it was their wedding?
    We're talking about people who you know it's their birthday.
    You'd call them or send them a card. If you're going to see them in person at your wedding, then give them a card or a cupcake. Or do it the day before.

If it's your sibling or best friend or your mother, I would hope you'd want to take a moment to have everyone wish them a happy birthday. It's just the nice thing to do.
    It doesn't cost any money to take a moment and just say "I'd like to raise a glass to my sister/brother/cousin/aunt/best friend/grandmother, etc. and with them a happy birthday!"

[QUOTE]Because Pink, you have to understand....birthdays come every year. Your wedding comes once a year. And, I undertand that if it is my brothers birthday, or my mother, or my BEST friend in the whole wide world, fine. But if it is my FI's mom's friend from her book club, then sorry, no I am not going to acknowledge it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Well, then we can agree to disagree. Everyone can do whatever they feel like. But I don't feel like Goodness should feel obligated to do something for her SIL at her wedding.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

To be totally honest, I feel completely fine not mentioning that it's anyone's birthday on our wedding day.  I don't even want it mentioned that it's mine a mere 6 days later.  My family and close friends know, but our wedding isn't to acknowledge the day of my birth.  That's a totally different occasion. 

I will be on my honeymoon celebrating my birthday with my husband.  That's intimate and special to me.  That's the only way I'd want it.

We will get my FSIL a card and a small gift.  That's plenty.  As far as mentioning it on our wedding day, I'm sorry, but no. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Not her, but I would hope her FI would at least give her a card or good wishes.

[QUOTE]Well, then we can agree to disagree. Everyone can do whatever they feel like. But I don't feel like Goodness should feel obligated to do something for her SIL at her wedding.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

LOL!  Remember how important half-birthdays used to be?  and how mad you'd get when you'd passed that halfway mark and people didn't remember to add the "and a half" when telling your age?

Now if someone mentioned my age at ALL to another person, I would not be a happy campler, let alone if they added the "and a half"!! 

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: new to board - wedding guest dilemma : It's true.  My sister's anniversary is my half-birthday, and I always know when it is.  Sure, we don't really celebrate half-birthdays as adults, but I was 14 when she got married, so it stuck with me.
    Posted by lucy7368[/QUOTE]