new to board - wedding guest dilemma

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Re: new to board - wedding guest dilemma

In Response to Re: new to board - wedding guest dilemma:
    [QUOTE]Goodness, I can totally understand how acknowledging the groom's sister's birthday WOULD absolutely diminish your day.   Good for you for sticking to your principles!  (BTW, I meant to say that we had the DJ play "Birthday" by the Beatles, not have everyone actually sing!  I agree that it's the 2nd-most-badly-sung song in history, next to the SSB, of course!)
    Posted by cosmogirl[/QUOTE]

I will mention something at our RD.  It's my fiance's sister-in-law (his brother's wife), actually. 

After we set the date, got our venue and church secured, and realized how wonderful it was that it landed the day before a holiday, we were SO excited.  Then, it hit us that it fell on her birthday.  It wasn't intentional.  No ill will.  We will get her a card and a gift.  And, this shouldn't be that big of a deal.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

[QUOTE]And, yes Goodness. That is the ONE day when the focus is allowed to be ALL on you....OK I'm done now...promise. Our beloved Senator died last night, and we are arguing over the dumbest sh*t on earth.
    Posted by Sept2010Bride[/QUOTE]

You mean our Senator the murderer?  The one who was too much of a coward to face up to what he did?  The one that's family got their $ bootlegging whiskey?  That Senator?  Not so tragic, as he lived to 77.

As for the 34 year old police officer being mowed down by an elderly driver . . THAT's tragic.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

You want to start hyperbolizing, twisting words and being sarcastic? Fine. Let's do it.

All I said is that it's the nice, thoughtful, considerate thing to do.
    It doesn't take long, it doesn't cost any money and it doesn't make it any less your wedding day. But I guess you feel differently.
    If that's the way you feel, fine, but I completely disagree.

It doesn't diminish a wedding to take 30 or 60 seconds to wish a close friend or family member "Happy Birthday"

And, I'm sorry, isn't the attitude that "this is the one day where all attention should be focused on you" what we try to discourage here?

Didn't anyone see the episode of Bridezillas where the pride smashed a cake in her aunt's face because her uncle had a cake at the RD for the aunt's birthday?
    I guess I'm the only one who thought that was bratty of her.
    I guess on your wedding day, God forbid you take any time to acknowlegde anythign else that might be occuring that day.
    I guess for that day your guests are your guests and nothing else.

Silly me, I though it would be nice to say happy birthday to a friedn or family member during your reception dinner. I didn't realize it would just be too distracting, too much trouble and a complete PITA to take a few seconds to do that.

And while anyone would tell you that you're perfectly free to have dinner the night before your parent's anniversary. I would advise that you call them or send them a card for the day-of. I know that's a lot of trouble and a total PITA apparently, but it's a NICE THING TO DO!

Didn't know we advocated against doing nice things here. Good to know.

[QUOTE]Oh no, I'm planning a dinner out with my mother the night before my parent's wedding anniversary!!!  SHOOT!  I should reschedule.  Their feelings are going to be SO HURT! 
    Posted by Goodness1[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: new to board - wedding guest dilemma : As for the 34 year old police officer being mowed down by an elderly driver . . THAT's tragic.
    Posted by princess-cal[/QUOTE]

Ugh, that was terrible.  The pictures in the paper today of his family and fellow officers were heartbreaking.

What a sad week in the news.  That corrections officer from Norfolk County was killed this week too, by the postal truck.  SO awful.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Look we all have different political opinions. But don't say that sh*t on the boards. Keep it to yourself. If I see it again, I am out, and I will NOT come back to the boards...I'm serious.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

[QUOTE]You want to start hyperbolizing, twisting words and being sarcastic? Fine. Let's do it. All I said is that it's the nice, thoughtful, considerate thing to do. It doesn't take long, it doesn't cost any money and it doesn't make it any less your wedding day. But I guess you feel differently. If that's the way you feel, fine, but I completely disagree. It doesn't diminish a wedding to take 30 or 60 seconds to wish a close friend or family member "Happy Birthday" And, I'm sorry, isn't the attitude that "this is the one day where all attention should be focused on you" what we try to discourage here? Didn't anyone see the episode of Bridezillas where the pride smashed a cake in her aunt's face because her uncle had a cake at the RD for the aunt's birthday? I guess I'm the only one who thought that was bratty of her. I guess on your wedding day, God forbid you take any time to acknowlegde anythign else that might be occuring that day. I guess for that day your guests are your guests and nothing else. Silly me, I though it would be nice to say happy birthday to a friedn or family member during your reception dinner. I didn't realize it would just be too distracting, too much trouble and a complete PITA to take a few seconds to do that. And while anyone would tell you that you're perfectly free to have dinner the night before your parent's anniversary. I would advise that you call them or send them a card for the day-of. I know that's a lot of trouble and a total PITA apparently, but it's a NICE THING TO DO! Didn't know we advocated against doing nice things here. Good to know. In Response to Re: new to board - wedding guest dilemma :
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

Not discussing this any further.  Have a good day.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

That senator had a family and friends and did a lot for this state and this country. And bootlegging isn't really that bad of a crime IMO.

Way to trample the dead.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: new to board - wedding guest dilemma : You mean our Senator the murderer?  The one who was too much of a coward to face up to what he did?  The one that's family got their $ bootlegging whiskey?  That Senator?  Not so tragic, as he lived to 77. As for the 34 year old police officer being mowed down by an elderly driver . . THAT's tragic.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Ouch... this discussion is too heated for me.  I'm afraid to comment.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

It is what it is.  If the truth hurts, well.  As for not returning to the boards . . uh, so . . . lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

[QUOTE]Ouch... this discussion is too heated for me.  I'm afraid to comment.
    Posted by trex509[/QUOTE]

Me too.  His death is something that hit me hard, and it's really sad.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Then I hope someone is that truthful about you after you die.

Let he without sin cast the first stone...

No one's a saint. Get off your soap box.

[QUOTE]It is what it is.  If the truth hurts, well.  As for not returning to the boards . . uh, so . . . lol

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]You want to start hyperbolizing, twisting words and being sarcastic? Fine. Let's do it. All I said is that it's the nice, thoughtful, considerate thing to do. It doesn't take long, it doesn't cost any money and it doesn't make it any less your wedding day. But I guess you feel differently. If that's the way you feel, fine, but I completely disagree. It doesn't diminish a wedding to take 30 or 60 seconds to wish a close friend or family member "Happy Birthday" And, I'm sorry, isn't the attitude that "this is the one day where all attention should be focused on you" what we try to discourage here? Didn't anyone see the episode of Bridezillas where the pride smashed a cake in her aunt's face because her uncle had a cake at the RD for the aunt's birthday? I guess I'm the only one who thought that was bratty of her. I guess on your wedding day, God forbid you take any time to acknowlegde anythign else that might be occuring that day. I guess for that day your guests are your guests and nothing else. Silly me, I though it would be nice to say happy birthday to a friedn or family member during your reception dinner. I didn't realize it would just be too distracting, too much trouble and a complete PITA to take a few seconds to do that. And while anyone would tell you that you're perfectly free to have dinner the night before your parent's anniversary. I would advise that you call them or send them a card for the day-of. I know that's a lot of trouble and a total PITA apparently, but it's a NICE THING TO DO! Didn't know we advocated against doing nice things here. Good to know. In Response to Re: new to board - wedding guest dilemma :
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

I don't even know what to say to you anymore.

For the record my family barely acknowledges birthdays.  Sometimes we all go out to dinner, sometimes we don't.  I never get cards or presents, except from DH and his mother.  SO WHAT!

Of course you shouldn't purposely think to yourself, I'm not going to say happy birthday to so-and-so at my wedding because it's MY day.  But you also don't have to go out of your way to get them a birthday cake.  It isn't a birthday party, it's a wedding.  I'm sure they won't go home thinking, I can't believe the bride didn't give me a birthday cake or a present at her wedding!!! 

That is my 2 cents and I am done.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

(here's where I need a sarcasm font)
    and don't forget that's it's totally his fault that his grandparents bootlegged. After all, him being unborn and all- he had a huge say in that.
    And it's not like the Kennedys ever donated to charity or anything. They just rolled around in their money and never did anything for the less fortunate.

[QUOTE]Princess..is that SERIOUSLY the only thing you can think of? Something that happened YEARS AGO? That is so f*cking ridiculous. You are pathetic. Uh, so LOL. Grow up. How about a man who did SO much for the poor, SO much for immigrants, SO much for healthcare, SO much for our state. How about that, you idiot. You are a complete moron. If he was such an awful guy, he wouldn't have been in the Senate for almost 50 years...think about it. Peace.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

[QUOTE]Princess..is that SERIOUSLY the only thing you can think of? Something that happened YEARS AGO? That is so f*cking ridiculous. You are pathetic. Uh, so LOL. Grow up. How about a man who did SO much for the poor, SO much for immigrants, SO much for healthcare, SO much for our state. How about that, you idiot. You are a complete moron. If he was such an awful guy, he wouldn't have been in the Senate for almost 50 years...think about it. Peace.

So, what if Mary Jo was your mother, or your sister, or your daughter . . would you still feel the same?  Basically you are justifying murder.  I don't agree with that.  Nobody is a saint, but I for one have never killed anyone.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

You don't have to get them a cake or a gift.

It doesn't cost anything or take much time to make an announcement, if they're comfortable with that, or a personal comment to them at their table.
    It doesn't take a lot of tiem to do that either.

I didn't say there had to be a gift or a cake, I did say cupcake, but it was more an example than anything.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: new to board - wedding guest dilemma : I don't even know what to say to you anymore. For the record my family barely acknowledges birthdays.  Sometimes we all go out to dinner, sometimes we don't.  I never get cards or presents, except from DH and his mother.  SO WHAT! Of course you shouldn't purposely think to yourself, I'm not going to say happy birthday to so-and-so at my wedding because it's MY day.  But you also don't have to go out of your way to get them a birthday cake.  It isn't a birthday party, it's a wedding.  I'm sure they won't go home thinking, I can't believe the bride didn't give me a birthday cake or a present at her wedding!!!  That is my 2 cents and I am done.
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I'm sorry Sept, but your post is out of line.  People are entitled to their own opinions.  You're sad about his passing, as am I.  Princess is not.  Oh well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I can't say what they feel, but neither can you.
    I cannot speak for them, and neither can you.

So I don't see why you feel it's your personal mission to speak out for them.

And I don't see how you can so easily pass over all of the good things he did with his life.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: new to board - wedding guest dilemma : So, what if Mary Jo was your mother, or your sister, or your daughter . . would you still feel the same?  Basically you are justifying murder.  I don't agree with that.  Nobody is a saint, but I for one have never killed anyone.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: new to board - wedding guest dilemma : I don't even know what to say to you anymore. For the record my family barely acknowledges birthdays.  Sometimes we all go out to dinner, sometimes we don't.  I never get cards or presents, except from DH and his mother.  SO WHAT! Of course you shouldn't purposely think to yourself, I'm not going to say happy birthday to so-and-so at my wedding because it's MY day.  But you also don't have to go out of your way to get them a birthday cake.  It isn't a birthday party, it's a wedding.  I'm sure they won't go home thinking, I can't believe the bride didn't give me a birthday cake or a present at her wedding!!!  That is my 2 cents and I am done.
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

Thanks, fram!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Is it bad that I don't know what you guys are talking about, murder-wise?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

And Mary Jo cannot speak for herself either . . . .

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

[QUOTE]Is it bad that I don't know what you guys are talking about, murder-wise?

The term "Chappaquiddick incident" refers to the circumstances surrounding the death of Mary Jo Kopechne, a former campaign worker for the assassinated U.S. Senator Robert F. Kennedy of New York.

In July 1969, Kopechne's body was discovered inside an overturned car belonging to Senator Edward "Ted" Kennedy of Massachusetts under water in a tidal channel on Chappaquiddick Island, Massachusetts.

After the body was found, Kennedy gave a statement to police saying that on the previous night he had taken a wrong turn and accidentally driven his car off a bridge into the water. He pleaded guilty to a charge of leaving the scene of an accident after causing injury, and received a suspended sentence.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]Is it bad that I don't know what you guys are talking about, murder-wise?

I believe he was driving drunk, went off a bridge into the water, and the passenger in his car died. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

My wedding was the day before my nephew's 1st birthday.  It was the only Saturday available in June and I let my sis know well in advance.  We had the DJ do a quick shoutout to him, not that he knew what was going on, but it was more for my sister.  She was my BM so she had my wedding and was at the same time planning her son's first bday, so I did it for her.  But, a baby's first bday is a big deal, I wouldn't do it for just anyone.

I also got married on the 13th, but we're not superstitious.

Why is there so much arguing on the boards this week?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

I had a friend in high school who was killed in a car accident.  It was awful and I miss her to this day.  The driver who is responsible for her death is alive and well.  If she were to pass away today, I wouldn't relish her death, although it still makes me angry that it was her fault and my innocent friend died...I would be sad for her because she has had to carry around the guilt of killing another person for most of her life.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

and you know what she'd like to say and are therefore speaking for her?

I doubt you're authorized to do that.

[QUOTE]And Mary Jo cannot speak for herself either . . . .