next day brunch

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

next day brunch

What does one wear to a bruch the day after the wedding? 
    Don't want to be over or under dressed!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Re: next day brunch

Just wear a nice simple dress, or black pants and a top. Or nice capris and a top.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

umm  we just wore jeans.  I wore a cute tank, and my husband wore a nice polo. Ours was casual though--just in the Marriott where people were staying.  But seriously, wear whatever you want! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

In Response to next day brunch:
    [QUOTE]What does one wear to a brunch the day after the wedding?  Don't want to be over or under dressed!
    Posted by bostonslp[/QUOTE]

Also consider where it is held.  Restaurants that generally have jacket only type dress codes often have a dressy standard for Sunday brunches and the midday meal, which for many is Sunday dinner,  even if you are in a separate room.  Hotels and motels which do not have separate dressy vs. casual dining places accept their guests in whatever casual wear better than  (and not accepting) tee shirt, shorts and flip flops.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I agree that it depends on where the brunch is held.  I think you can't go wrong w/ a casual dress, nice top and capris, or a blouse and a pair of pants.  I'd avoid wearing jeans, unless they are dressier jeans, or unless it's very casual and at someone's house.  Good luck. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

yeah.  the jeans were partly due to my exhaustion with dressing up at the end of a long dress-up weekend.  I had about 5 different dressy outfits for the 2 days before the wedding, & of course the wedding itself.  (All of our celebrations got stacked up because our family is spread all over and so the day before the wedding was the only time to do the bridal shower, aufruf, etc.)  And, we were getting on an airplane 2 hours after the brunch to go on our honeymoon.  And the brunch invitation was only extended to guests after they arrived in boston for the wedding--it was very casual, kind of last-minute decision to hold it at all.  SO I knew other people wouldn't have brought an extra fancy outfit for it.

Anyway, other people bring up good points that non-hotel brunches may require something dressier than favorite jeans+cute tank. 

If you are having a more formal brunch, maybe a sun/party dress would be the right way to toe the dressy/casual line?  That's what I wore to my shower the day before, which wasn't formal, but I didn't want to look underdressed.  I found the cutest summery dresses at Anthropologie (which provided me with two of those 5 outfits).  They had enough detailing and interest to look dressy, but the cottony fabrics kept them distinctly out of the eveningwear category.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

I know that when I travel, if I have to check out of my room and leave my luggage in a storeroom behind the desk, I wear something comfortable to travel home in, unless I have asked or been told, another outfit is needed.  Only then will I pack travel clothes in a separate carryall and change between brunch's end and time to go.  Just a jacket and nice shoes really dress up twill pants and a camisole  or too bare top.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd think brunch, by it's nature, is casual no matter where it is, unless it's at someplace SUPER ritzy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

In Response to Re: next day brunch:
    [QUOTE]I'd think brunch, by it's nature, is casual no matter where it is, unless it's at someplace SUPER ritzy.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

I pretty much think so too.  I learned my lesson in areas where lots of people dress in their finest for Sunday churchgoing.  Even entering the local steak house, BBQ and chicken fried steak with okra   joint  calls for  a  "certain standard we like to maintain."  They've never been to the old Ritz, but they got snotty down pat when it comes to sundresses and open toe heels  (seeing feet, in an eating establishment! shocking.) 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Any brunch I've gone to has been in a nicer place, like a hotel or restaurant w/ white table cloths and multiple forks, mimosas, etc.  I could not imagine NOT getting dressed up for brunch, but maybe that's just me.  If you are just having sandwiches and bagels in a function room, I don't think you need to get dressed up.  But for me, brunch is a fancy occasion [and one of my favorite meals]. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Many of your guests will be all packed up, ready to leave right after the brunch and dressed in their traveling outfits. The brunches we have attended - including our own brunch we had at our son' s wedding - everyone were dressed in the outfits, they were traveling in. It was anything from jeans with tops and polos to khakis and sports jackets, dresses and suits. Dress in what you feel comfortable with.
    Even at the most fashionable hotels in Boston, they are not asking the men to wear jackets for brunch any longer.
    My son and DIL took us out for brunch at The Boston Harbor Hotel at our last anniversary. We were dressed up - but they were plenty of guests in jeans and polos and no jackets.
    If in doubt call the restaurant and ask them.

Sections
Shortcuts