OT - Anyone looking for an admin job?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

OT - Anyone looking for an admin job?

We are going to have a job opening in our Hopkinton office...  It's front office / administrative / production coordinator kind of stuff.  It's a full time hourly position, pay rate in the mid-teens, with definite overtime possibility / probability.

All the usual benefits apply, with the added bonus that you get to work with me.  :-)

I am actually rewriting the job description this afternoon, so I can post it on CL and Monster tomorrow.  If anyone's interested, sent me a PM here or on FB.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

Re: OT - Anyone looking for an admin job?

No one's replied, but for one FB message.  I just thought I'd post the link anyway...

http://worcester.craigslist.org/ofc/1412563280.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I wonder if Laryan is still looking, but I don't know if she has a car.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

I sent the link to my sister who has friends that live in the area who may be looking.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I imagine that, considering the economy, you will get 5,000 applications from people trained to be everything from dog walkers to circus performers to electricians to NASA scientists.  Good luck.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

In Response to Re: OT - Anyone looking for an admin job?:
    [QUOTE]I imagine that, considering the economy, you will get 5,000 applications from people trained to be everything from dog walkers to circus performers to electricians to NASA scientists.  Good luck.
    Posted by lucy7368[/QUOTE]

Yeah, no kidding.

No onslaught yet... I'm a hard @ss too.  If you have typos, misspellings, punctuation errors, have no cover letter, and cannot format your resume in an attractive and easy to read fashion, you go in the "no" pile right off the bat.  It really narrows down my choices!  LOL!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Lucy - it is funny, but actually it is not. We have been looking for a part time book keeper/accountant - or a full time book keeper/secretary, for some time now. As you, we thought it would be easy with this economy and the unemployment going up and up - but no, it is not. We have gotten lots of responses, - but no one qualified for the position. And truly, we are not asking for very much. 
    Some applicants are not even available until "they are off their unemployment."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE] Some applicants are not even available until "they are off their unemployment."
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Wow.  I would be sorely tempted to inform those people that it's fraud to refuse to accept a job for which they are otherwise qualified because they would prefer to accept unemployment.  Also, if you're telling employers that you can't start to work for them until your unemployment runs out, you're not technically looking.

I would turn those losers over to the state so fast their heads would spin.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

[QUOTE]I wonder if Laryan is still looking, but I don't know if she has a car.

Thank you for thinking of me Lucy...i'm still looking, but I don't have a car...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

[QUOTE]Lucy - it is funny, but actually it is not. We have been looking for a part time book keeper/accountant - or a full time book keeper/secretary, for some time now. As you, we thought it would be easy with this economy and the unemployment going up and up - but no, it is not. We have gotten lots of responses, - but no one qualified for the position. And truly, we are not asking for very much.  Some applicants are not even available until "they are off their unemployment."
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

these applicants don't realize that they may not be able to get a job after "they are off their unemployment".  

my benefits (including all available extensions) expired the beginning of September.   I have gotten absolutely nowhere.  I've applied all over the place, including full time/part time jobs..in retail, office, temp agencies, etc. 

we're now starting to go into the holiday season, and hiring traditionally stops unless its in the retail industry...    

I've been following articles in the newspapers about the possibility of an extension, there was one bill introduced a couple of weeks ago aimed at extending for 13 weeks of unemployment for those residents in states whose unemployment rates are 8.5% or higher.  That was killed in the senate, because the states whose rate is less than 8.5% wouldn't qualify, and these senators were complaining about that.

Jeanne Shaheen in NH supposedly introduced a bill yesterday that would grant unemployment extension of 17 weeks to all residents regardless of what state they live in, w/an extended benefit week of 8 wks to those whose rates are 8.5%or higher..

should be interesting to see how it turns out..      

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

Lucy,
    You're absolutely correct.  You're supposed to be "actively looking" while you are on unemployment, and you have to maintain a "job search log" while you are looking as well.  The state can and will ask for this job search log at the drop of a hat, and if you don't submit it within a specific time frame, they can **STOP** your check.    Also, if you are offered a job while collecting, and refuse it, they can also **STOP** your check...

I would so rather be working right now..

Edited to add:  The state also runs your social security number thru the department of revenue on a regular basis...if you're working even part time and don't report the earnings while collecting unemployment...you've screwed yourself..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

No luck with the temp agency Laryan?  That stinks.  I used Adecco back in the day and had a good experience.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

[QUOTE]No luck with the temp agency Laryan?  That stinks.  I used Adecco back in the day and had a good experience.
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

The temp agencies are hurting for job listings.. (that's when you know its bad)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]Lucy, You're absolutely correct.  You're supposed to be "actively looking" while you are on unemployment, and you have to maintain a "job search log" while you are looking as well.  The state can and will ask for this job search log at the drop of a hat, and if you don't submit it within a specific time frame, they can **STOP** your check.    Also, if you are offered a job while collecting, and refuse it, they can also **STOP** your check...
    Posted by laryan[/QUOTE]

When my roommate was unemployed, she was offered a job that didn't pay as much as her last job.  She said that she was thinking about turning it down so she could take a "paid vacation" for the summer (i.e., collect unemployment while sitting on the beach). 

I told her that I would call the state if she turned down another job (she turned down one, because she thought it was really shady).  I am soooooo not OK with that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

I'm getting people turning down an interview because it's out of their pay range.

Okay, so you're not working, and you're will to turn down $15 - $17 per hour because you beleive you're worth $18 - 20$ per hour?  I had one woman say she was looking for $20 - $22 per hour.  I was like, "Sh!t, I wish *I* made $20 to $22 per hour!"

The position also earns time and a half for OT.  I work 45 hours per week, and I'm salaried, so I get nothing extra for my time. 

Makes no sense.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

What the heck, Rap...If you pay me $22/hr AND overtime I WILL take the job, that woman is a nutcase. I don't get any overtime at all. She needs to count her lucky stars in an economy like this.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

[QUOTE]I'm getting people turning down an interview because it's out of their pay range. Okay, so you're not working, and you're will to turn down $15 - $17 per hour because you beleive you're worth $18 - 20$ per hour?  I had one woman say she was looking for $20 - $22 per hour.  I was like, "Sh!t, I wish *I* made $20 to $22 per hour!" The position also earns time and a half for OT.  I work 45 hours per week, and I'm salaried, so I get nothing extra for my time.  Makes no sense.
    Posted by Rapunzel41[/QUOTE]

I'd be happy to have a job that paid $15 - $17 an hour.  Only if I had a car...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

[QUOTE]What the heck, Rap...If you pay me $22/hr AND overtime I WILL take the job, that woman is a nutcase. I don't get any overtime at all. She needs to count her lucky stars in an economy like this.
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

It's $15 - $17 per hour, with paid OT.  The admin could end up making more than I do with OT pay! 

Because of my flat out 45 hours per week, I don't have to burn personal time for my sick days. This year I was out twice for two days each time...  So let's say worked an extra 200 hours per year, thanks to 45 hour weeks.  If I only use four sick days, that's only 32 hours.  My boss is definitely coming out ahead there!  LOL!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OT - Anyone looking for an admin job? : I'd be happy to have a job that paid $15 - $17 an hour.  Only if I had a car...
    Posted by laryan[/QUOTE]

Rapunzel, is there any way to get there on the commuter rail?  I know it goes through Hopkinton...

ETA:  BTW, when I was unemployed, I was willing to accept anything that paid more than half my old salary (what I got on unemployment).  I'm pretty sure the state would say that, if you're collecting unemployment, you can't turn down a job that would pay $1-2/hour less than what you want.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

They have been looking for people to add to my department the entire year that I've been working here. The best they've found was an admin temp. I don't know why because the jobs they are offering are VERY well paid and for the industry, hours and overall workload are pretty low. I really don't understand why no one wants the jobs that are available.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]They have been looking for people to add to my department the entire year that I've been working here. The best they've found was an admin temp. I don't know why because the jobs they are offering are VERY well paid and for the industry, hours and overall workload are pretty low. I really don't understand why no one wants the jobs that are available.
    Posted by cicirose[/QUOTE]

Where do you work?  What are you guys looking for?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

what kind of job, cicirose?  my two biggest obstacles are: no car and lack of technology skill.    i'm noticing lately that alot of companies want a very specific skill set, and a specific amount of experience in "the industry"...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OT - Anyone looking for an admin job? : Rapunzel, is there any way to get there on the commuter rail?  I know it goes through Hopkinton... ETA:  BTW, when I was unemployed, I was willing to accept anything that paid more than half my old salary (what I got on unemployment).  I'm pretty sure the state would say that, if you're collecting unemployment, you can't turn down a job that would pay $1-2/hour less than what you want.

You really need a car for the position.  Because of the type of industry we're in, we're all kind of "on call" to run errands during a work day.  I've driven supplies out to job sites when there was no one in the warehouse and all the vehicles were out.  It's also hard to keep to a train schedule because all it takes is one emergency call to delay your departure at the end of the day and you've missed your train!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

I don't know if I should give out the specifics. The company is very reputable, has been around basically forever and is a pretty big name in the city. Unfortunately the people that they are looking for tend to work in other types of companies and the industry is really narrow so I think that puts a lot of people off.

Laryan - what type of job are you looking for? If it's admin related, I don't think my department is hiring for that right now but other areas of the company may be looking for executive assistants. Offices are in Back Bay and South Boston.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know if I should give out the specifics. The company is very reputable, has been around basically forever and is a pretty big name in the city. Unfortunately the people that they are looking for tend to work in other types of companies and the industry is really narrow so I think that puts a lot of people off. Laryan - what type of job are you looking for? If it's admin related, I don't think my department is hiring for that right now but other areas of the company may be looking for executive assistants. Offices are in Back Bay and South Boston.
    Posted by cicirose[/QUOTE]

i'm looking more for a "light admin" or customer service position..in close proximity to the T's Orange Line (i don't have a car)....my technology skill isn't *there* for alot of these positions.  I need to take classes, but few if any are free and the money for these classes just isn't in the household budget right now...they're even cutting back on the federal financial aid..
    unemployment and alot of these temp agencies offer "free tutorials", but i'd be going into it blind...Operation ABLE (organization for workers over 45 y/o) is charging $150.  a class...