OT - Consignment Shops?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

OT - Consignment Shops?

I'm looking to make some extra money and have been checking out local consignment stores.  I have some clothes, shoes, china, etc.

I don't have any designer labels, so some of the high-end shops probably aren't for me, but which ones do you like and recommend?

Any location is fine....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

Re: OT - Consignment Shops?

seems the consignment shops i've dealt with are real picky as to what they take...seems the bulk i've been calling all want "high end" clothing labels w/a value of at least $100., and won't take anything other than clothing... 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Laryan,
    how about suits? I have several; mine as well as DH's. Some are designer labels, but most are not. They are all in excellent shape; some I have hardly worn (weight fluctuations, LOL) - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I had thought of selling some clothes on consignment, but then a friend told me that the items needed to be dry cleaned just prior to the shops taking them.  That's understandable, but with the cost of dry cleaning today, by the time the shop takes its cut, it seemed to me that I could easily lose money rather than make it. 

I never did go further with it, but I'd be interested in hearing from someone who had some success with selling on consignment.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sandwich,
    I thought the exact same thing. However, I would do the dry cleaning in my dryer using the Dryer sheets. It works really well. No way would I pay the dry cleaning prices, they ask for these days. But why go through all that work, if they decide not to take it. I am in a limbo, whether it is worth it or not - Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I was a fan of Second Time Around in Back Bay. They had one on Newbury and another on Eliot, I think, in Harvard Square. However, I moved from Boston several years ago, so I"m not sure if htey are still there. They took designer and higher end pieces. There is also a place in Portsmouth, NH but hte name is escaping me. 

Cosmo, most places are only going to take clothing, not china.  If you don't have higher end stuff, you are probably better off donating and taking a tax write off. If you don't see w/in a certain period of time, you don't get a commission if the shop ends up selling it. GL.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

In Response to Re: OT - Consignment Shops?:
    [QUOTE]Sandwich, I thought the exact same thing. However, I would do the dry cleaning in my dryer using the Dryer sheets. It works really well. No way would I pay the dry cleaning prices, they ask for these days. But why go through all that work, if they decide not to take it. I am in a limbo, whether it is worth it or not - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

pingo:

The friend who told me about the dry cleaning said that the shop she went to wanted to see the item in a dry cleaning bag with the ticket on it.  But that was probably before in-home dry cleaning products became available.  I think if you wanted to sell, the best course is to talk to the shop owner and find out what they would list the items for and what their cut  would be -- and also if they thought your items would sell quickly.

As for china, Cosmogirl, Replacements will buy china from you, but I think they probably pay you less than half of what it is worth.  You could sell it on craigslist or ebay, but again you'd have to be prepared to take less than what you'd like to get for them in your heart of hearts.   Of course, if you have no attachment at all to the stuff, it may be worth it anyway.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

another idea...why don't you "rent a table" at a flea market or have a yard sale?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Actually, there are a lot of consignment shops that don't insist on designer labels, or that do specialize in home goods rather than furniture.  I was hoping someone had some experience with those.

Yes, planning a yard sale for next month, too.  

(Good to hear from you, though, and EES, LOVE your name!)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

I haven't had good luck with consignment shops for non-designer label clothes, but I've had good luck consigning furniture and china at the Furniture Consignment Gallery in Hanover.  I had some old china and glassware that sold nicely.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Second Time Around is still open at both locations, and I think they have a third shop now. They have their guidelines posted on their website.