OT - Crazy Realtors!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

OT - Crazy Realtors!!!

Okay, so I just have to share this with all of you because I am so completely in awe of the idiocy of this man...

We're still waiting on a date for our appointment with the mortgage broker to see where we stand.  In the meantime, we've been looking at various sites on line to see what's out there in our meager price range.  Since I'm not actively house hunting yet, I am only giving out an email address that I created specifically for the house hunt.  I've used this on multiple websites so I can shop around.

I drove past a house this afternoon, so I took down the realtor's info, and I signed up on his website when I got back to the office.  Here is the email exchange that followed:

Him:
    Hey, why don't you go get your info elsewhere

Me:
    Excuse me?!?!  That's probably not the way to court and garner new business.

Him:
    I’ve been in this business long enough to recognize a dead beat. That’s alright, I’m sure I can reach you at 508-555-1212. That’s a phone number all dead beats give out. You probably don’t even pay your bills.

Me:
    Not that you merit an explanation, but I find this completely laughable. 
    I work in Hopkinton and I saw your sign on a property on Dilla St while driving to Target in Milford at lunch today.  We are currently going through the pre-approval process for our first mortgage, but as first time home buyers we're waiting to start the search in earnest until we take our class on October 14th.  We are looking all over the MetroWest and Central MA to see what properties are out there that we can realistically afford precisely because we are NOT deadbeat.  We are simply not ready to give out all of our personal information to every realtor out there until we're ready to focus on a particular area and price range.
    You however are still an @ss and you have guaranteed that when we DO start to look, we will absolutely not do business with you.  I grew up in Medway and I have friends and colleagues all over this area (including my mortgage broker!!!), so you can also be sure that I will strongly advise THEM not to do any business with you.  Nice job.

Thanks for giving me the heads up.  Now I know not to waste my time with you. 

Him:

I’ve worked with many first time buyers, and never once was I given a false name, number, and address; just ask my client JOHN DOE he’ll tell you. (Ha,Ha) To think you wouldn’t work with me is a joke. My business is such, that I can be selective and wouldn’t want to work with you. Remember, I’m the one who kicked you off my site.

Me:

And of the seven or so sites I've signed up on over the last week, none of whom have received any information other than my legitimate email address - no name, no phone number, no nothing - you're the only realtor to do such a foolish thing.
    Anonymity does not equal deadbeat.  Right now there are 10 people in my office in here flabbergasted that an individual working in a commission-based field would so something so blatantly stupid.
    In my line of business, I work with MANY homeowners, commercial property owners, insurance companies, and business related to real estate.  You have no idea who I am or what I do.  Just be glad I choose to use my powers for good, not evil.

Him:
    You know you really are pretty boring.

Is this typical of all realtors or did I just get this guy on a really bad day?!?!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: OT - Crazy Realtors!!!

Wow.  You may want to report this guy.  At a minimum, I'd call the company he works with and send them a copy of his email.  What a tool. 

What is his name, so that we can all avoid him.

Incidentally, I contacted a broker in another state earlier this week b/c we are moving. I gave her very little info and she responded right away w/ the requested information and was as sweet as pie.  You never know who is going to end up giving you a big commission in that field;  I cannot fathom that guy making it for long.  Clearly, he has an alternate source of income b/c you never shoot any potential gold-egg laying goose in a commission based field. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

That guy is absolutely out of line, unprofessional, and disrespectful.  You clearly know which firm he works for.  All you have to do is contact his firm, let them know the situation, and find out who is in charge of maintaining that website.  He seems like he doesn't even know how to do his job, let alone write out a proper, professional e-mail. 

I'm sorry that happened to you.  That's just awful.  No one knows what kind of leeches are out there nowadays, and quite honestly, I wouldn't give my personal information on some dumb website, either!!!  Who would in this day and age?  All that "information" is up to the discretion of the person signing on.  You're going online to get your information, etc. 

Not for nothing, but you could always do your home search on boston.com.  That's where I go!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Wow!   He is really something!  In my dealings with realtors (there have been 4-5), I have not been impressed whatsoever by their character or customer service, which surprised me, given their commision-based income.  But nevertheless, they have all been rude/pushy/untruthful, I've come to terms & dealt with it.  But this guy, whoa, he takes the cake! 
    I would definately report him to the company (he did this in writing?!!?) and get his name out to people in that area to beware.  The power of an internet search is amazing! 
    I had a realtor trying to rent my place out.  After some very suspicious activity took place while I was not there I demanded my keys back & searched into his on-line reputation.  Turns out the positive feedback on a bunch of webistes was left by his fiancee.  A google search also brought up his wedding announcement :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal1124. Show mezzogal1124's posts

Rapunzel, I'm sorry you had to deal with such an unprofessional jerk.  His conduct is inexcusable.  Definitely report him to his firm.  Also, write scathing reviews on Citysearch and Yelp.  

Unfortunately, this seems to be a theme among realtors.  I had a horrible realtor recently (I wasn't even buying, I was only renting an apartment) and she was simply awful (cut me off when I was trying to ask questions, put words in my mouth, scoffed at my profession).  I, too, was appalled that someone working on commission would behave in such a manner.  Try and keep the faith; I'm sure you'll find a realtor who's pleasant and who will help you find a beautiful home. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd be so boiling mad I'd consider publishing that conversation in the editorial section of the major local paper in his area with his name and company.  I'm pretty sure it isn't classified as defamation unless it's untrue and can be proven as untrue.  (Correct me if I'm wrong, ALF, thanks.)

I'd at LEAST send it to the owner of his franchise and a copy of it to the parent company office.  Not sure if that's 100% applicable here, but I'd go to his direct boss and to the TOP dog with that one.

Sorry you had to deal with that idiot.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dani273. Show Dani273's posts

In Response to OT - Crazy Realtors!!!:
    [QUOTE]Okay, so I just have to share this with all of you because I am so completely in awe of the idiocy of this man... We're still waiting on a date for our appointment with the mortgage broker to see where we stand.  In the meantime, we've been looking at various sites on line to see what's out there in our meager price range.  Since I'm not actively house hunting yet, I am only giving out an email address that I created specifically for the house hunt.  I've used this on multiple websites so I can shop around. I drove past a house this afternoon, so I took down the realtor's info, and I signed up on his website when I got back to the office.  Here is the email exchange that followed: Him: Hey, why don't you go get your info elsewhere Me: Excuse me?!?!  That's probably not the way to court and garner new business. Him: I’ve been in this business long enough to recognize a dead beat. That’s alright, I’m sure I can reach you at 508-555-1212. That’s a phone number all dead beats give out. You probably don’t even pay your bills. Me: Not that you merit an explanation, but I find this completely laughable.  I work in Hopkinton and I saw your sign on a property on Dilla St while driving to Target in Milford at lunch today.  We are currently going through the pre-approval process for our first mortgage, but as first time home buyers we're waiting to start the search in earnest until we take our class on October 14th.  We are looking all over the MetroWest and Central MA to see what properties are out there that we can realistically afford precisely because we are NOT deadbeat.  We are simply not ready to give out all of our personal information to every realtor out there until we're ready to focus on a particular area and price range. You however are still an @ss and you have guaranteed that when we DO start to look, we will absolutely not do business with you.  I grew up in Medway and I have friends and colleagues all over this area (including my mortgage broker!!!), so you can also be sure that I will strongly advise THEM not to do any business with you.  Nice job.   Thanks for giving me the heads up.  Now I know not to waste my time with you.   Him: I’ve worked with many first time buyers, and never once was I given a false name, number, and address; just ask my client JOHN DOE he’ll tell you. (Ha,Ha) To think you wouldn’t work with me is a joke. My business is such, that I can be selective and wouldn’t want to work with you. Remember, I’m the one who kicked you off my site . Me: And of the seven or so sites I've signed up on over the last week, none of whom have received any information other than my legitimate email address - no name, no phone number, no nothing - you're the only realtor to do such a foolish thing. Anonymity does not equal deadbeat.  Right now there are 10 people in my office in here flabbergasted that an individual working in a commission-based field would so something so blatantly stupid. In my line of business, I work with MANY homeowners, commercial property owners, insurance companies, and business related to real estate.  You have no idea who I am or what I do.  Just be glad I choose to use my powers for good, not evil. Him: You know you really are pretty boring. Is this typical of all realtors or did I just get this guy on a really bad day?!?!
    Posted by Rapunzel41[/QUOTE]

Wow, so sorry this has happened to you. It is a bad market out there right now, the way the economy is and you would think that this kind of behavior would not happen at all, but especially now. I am not a realtor, but my mom is, and I know that when people show some kind an action that can be damaging, they can be reported to something called the Massachusetts Board Of Realtors.  I do hope that this helps. However, please do not think all real estate agents act this way, as my mom and my sister both have that occupation, and they truly are nice people. I would hate for anyone to put them into this category, but I can certainly understand why some have such a low opinion of realtors due to so many terrible things that you hear about. One bad apple does not rot the whole tree as my grandmother used to say. Good luck with everything, I hope that he gets what he deserves!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: OT - Crazy Realtors!!!:
    [QUOTE]I'd be so boiling mad I'd consider publishing that conversation in the editorial section of the major local paper in his area with his name and company.  I'm pretty sure it isn't classified as defamation unless it's untrue and can be proven as untrue.  (Correct me if I'm wrong, ALF, thanks.) I'd at LEAST send it to the owner of his franchise and a copy of it to the parent company office.  Not sure if that's 100% applicable here, but I'd go to his direct boss and to the TOP dog with that one. Sorry you had to deal with that idiot.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

A true statement cannot be defamatory.  However, because truth is an absolute defense, the plaintiff doesn't bear the burden of proving that the statement was false.  If the statement is true, the defendant would have to prove it.

It's also not defamation if it's just an opinion, i.e., "This guy is a total jerk!"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Wow, I had to read this post out loud to my husband when I read it. I was in shock!  We are currently looking at houses, and have never had this reaction.  We are really just going to open houses and don't want to settle with one realtor right now.  98% of the time we make up names and numbers on the forms, or just dont list them at all when they ask to sign in, give an email address that we don't really use.  The fact is once a realtor has your info, many of them will hound you, the one that does sends emails and calls to see how our search is going.  I know it is their job, but really, how many times do we have to say we are casually looking and are not ready to buy yet?    Anyways, I see why you gave the false info, and i am SURE that this guy has this happen often, he must be lying if he said that this does not happen to him.    Good luck with your search!   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

wow, just wow. No, not all relators are like this rapunzel. Our relator certainly wasn't, maybe because they were friends of my mom, i don't know. but I really hope you are able to find someone much better to work with.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

I believe this guy owns his local franchise, so I don't know who I'd report him too.  He's operating under the ReMax name, so I don't know if they have some sort of oversight over their realtors.

I know there are bad eggs in every profession, so I don't paint all realtors with the same brush.  I just found this reaction so completely laughable...  And ultimately it's his loss!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hi Rapunzel!  Wow that is crazy.  What an idiot!  He really will not last long if he can't treat potential customers with respect and he obviously doesn't realize how important word of mouth is.  If you like, I was happy with my realtor who works out of Waltham.  I can send you her name if you are interested.  She was very professional and responsive.  I guess we're lucky we liked her at an open house decided to use her.  It sounds like there are a lot of jerks out there!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Back2ACK. Show Back2ACK's posts

Hello Rapunzel, it is unfortunate that you had this experience.  The fact that you took the time to post this is the good news.  The thing that you can do which will put a damper on this fellows day is report him to the MA Assoc of Realtors.  I would also do a little homework and find the main or official office of REMAX and send a copy of your experience.  This is a huge company and they don't want any black marks associated with their name.  It has been my experience in life that what looks the bleakest is usually a gift that I am able to appreciate in hindsight.  You are absolutely correct in not giving personal information right off the bat, particularly over the internet.  There are a lot of creepy people out there who are up to no good.  I have a client who owns an office here on Nantucket and if you like I would be more than happy to pick her brain as to what your options are and how this jack--- can be reported affectively.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

as if househunting isn't stressful enough...

when I was househunting, I went into this open house.  The realtor apologized for not being able to show me around right away because she had to "stay with" a black couple who had arrived before me.  "You know...." she said, and rolled her eyes.

I walked out and called her office, spoke to the manager, and told him what happened.  I hope she got fired. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Wow, this is deplorable.  You should print out the email exchange and glue it (with superglue) to the sign outside the house you drove by that has his info out front.  Of course, you don't want to sabotage those poor people who are working with him to get their house sold, but still... I like Kargiver's idea about publicizing him. 

Good to know about the MA Association of Realtors - let us know if you report him and if you get any response.

One of my best friends used to be a realtor (until she had her baby) and she is SUPER NICE so they are not all like that!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Oh Rapunzel that so blows because buying a house is so stressful to begin with.  I know I just sold an bought a new house last week.  Report that guy to the realtors board and ReMax's corporate site.  We worked with a great ReMax agent that I would recommend in the Lowell/Chelmsford area to anyone even though we didn't buy through her (we got a FSBO) she did represent the buyer of our condo (we were selling as FSBO with commission to a buyers agent).

If you go to ReMax's corp site on the contact us page which is here, at the very bottom is an email in which you can send comments etc about individual offices or agents.  That guy should be out of a job.

On a side note, for the mortgage, we had a h3ll of a time with our mortgage company because our "councilor" was a complete tool and half through out the whole process.  I was waiting until we finished the process and signed on the new house, but I have been keeping track I have a bulleted list about 2 pages long of all the stuff he did wrong.  Friend me if you want to know who to avoid there.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

Thanks for the tips, ladies.

I look on the MA Association of Realtors website but I couldn't find anything, so I sent an email to their general mailbox asking for information.

I did send an email (from my WORK email address, and I WORK for an international property restoration company!) to ReMax International asking if they condone this sort of behavior from agents operating under the ReMax name.  We'll see if I get a response.

This is one of those "I couldn't make this sh!t up!" kind of stories.  And since everything I've written is true and I have the emails to prove it, his name is John Pasciuti and his website is www.homesinmetrowest.com.

Phew!  I feel better now!  LOL!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

why report him?  He's a jerk.  laugh and move on. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

AB- wouldn't you want to know if one of your employees was so offensive and disrespectful of a potential client?
    I know I'd want to know.
    ReMax deserves to know, as I'm sure they don't want this joker sullying their reputation and name.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

In Response to Re: OT - Crazy Realtors!!!:
    [QUOTE]why report him?  He's a jerk.  laugh and move on. 
    Posted by downtoearth[/QUOTE]
    Why?  Because he is a jerk and he is putting a bad light on the company.  Additionally by not saying anything you then basically condone his bad attitude and poor service.  I have worked in various service industries, as a waitress and in retail as well as working in a customer support center, working my way up to supervise a region.  You better believe I would not like to take the call from a client or a prospective client that described such bad behavior but I would rather take that call then to lose business, particularly when times are tough.

Quite frankly no one deserves to be treated the way Rapunzel was.  There are many people in the service industry that work hard for their money and are very respectful to clients and prospects often in the face of being treated poorly by the client or prospect.  To allow these heathens to go on without at the very least reporting their boorish behavior allows them to continue that behavior and color the perception others in the same industry. 

As in any profession there are good and bad and some that just meet the expectations get the job done but are not spectacular.  But is the bad ones that set the stereotype and I do anything I can to combat it.  I cannot allow myself to be treated poorly and not respond, if I don't respond people will think that I find that level of service acceptable and continue to give me that level of service.  Bad service needs to be presented to the person's manager or equivalent, just as good service needs to presented.  I do go out of my way to tell a manager if I receive exceptional service because it is such a rarity.

People like you that just laugh it off are doing no one any good.  Because you laughed it off that person either will not improve and when the next person actually does report the bad behavior the likely response is something along the lines of "Jack never has had anyone complain" because most people are willing to be treated like cr@p and do nothing about it, making those of us that do report less than acceptable behavior as the nut cases.

I am not trying to say that you need to be mean and malicious when reporting an incident of bad behavior/attitude, but quite the opposite.  State the facts and then move on, and stick to your guns.  Quite frankly there is a bank that messed up quite royally with me, I tried to work with them to resolve their issues and didn't threaten to leave if they didn't do things my way.  I worked with them to understand their policies and quite frankly they were unwilling to budge and showed no remorse when they lost a batch of checks (which of course include our account information on them) and were unwilling to work with us to provide credit monitoring service and had general contempt for us questioning the process that led to them losing our checks.  So I left them, I won't even use their ATMs even if they are the only one in site.  The point is this bank is still around because people in general are willing to put up with cr@p service, I am not.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

People like you that just laugh it off are doing no one any good.

Oh please - "people like you???????????"

I don't believe it is my responsiblity to manage or oversee every person with whom I come in contact.  I am not in charge of the world.  If I don't want to work with someone, I don't.  I make my point with my dollars. 

My point is less along the lines of protecting consumers everywhere and more along the lines of, why is our first thought - 'I'm telling?'  I don't much appreciate tattle tales unless there is actual danger involved.  There are so many people in the world that are wonderful - I guess I'd just rather seek them out than waste time worrying about the others.

(P.S. phrases like "..people like you.." do bother me.  generalize much?  assume at all?)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

I don't think the first instinct it to "tattle" I try to work with the person that I am doing business with. If that fails then yes I will take my complaint else where and higher up the food chaing.

I expect decent service and if I don't get it then I speak up for myself and I don't consider it protecting customers everywhere.  I take the perspective that decent service is the way to go and if you are not getting it, then speak up, why should I have to take the time to find another provider of a service if the one I am having issues with is convenient for me?  I take the time to address the issue with the individual and then potentially higher if needed, so that I can keep my business where it is convenient for me.  It doesn't always work, but I find my time is better spent this way rather than "seeking out the wonderful".  This way there is a positive change for me and it generally benefits others as well.

And it should be noted that sometimes you don't really have the option of going elsewhere to receive a service.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I worked in Customer service for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time, and I worked in quality control for a couple of years.  There are some people out there who basically believe that all customers are idiots, it's just a day job, and there's no reason to be polite.  These people can really hurt a company's reputation, and the company needs to know so they can hire people who actually care about customer retention.

It's less about telling and more about "the company has a right to know."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

You said, People like you that just laugh it off are doing no one any good.

But then you said, I expect decent service and if I don't get it then I speak up for myself and I don't consider it protecting customers everywhere. 

I am more than confused.  Your first post strongly stated that my approach to life is such that I am not doing others good.  and it implied that that was somehow a failing of mine. 
    However, as stated in your second post, your approach to life is not to be considered protecting others (or, as I translate it, doing others good,) so I'm confused as to why my approach is incorrect.  Or, if not incorrect, why it is the direct subject of your post.

In addition you said, And it should be noted that sometimes you don't really have the option of going elsewhere to receive a service.

Perhaps, but in the case of this conversation, we are discussing finding a realtor which whom to work.  In this case, the options are almost limitless.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I've never thought of reporting bad service as "tattling." It's more like quality control. This guy might not be a jerk if he knew it would affect his business. Isn't that one of the purposes of boards like these? Brides come on and say, "I need a photographer" and people give recommendations. They also say "stay away from this guy" for x reasons. As a consumer, I want to know what I'm getting into. If a photog is going to be rude to my parents, show up late, take blurry pictures, etc, then I don't want to hire her.