OT: Crock pot recipes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

OT: Crock pot recipes

Post your recipes!

Super easy one my mom gave me:

1 lb pork roast (tied up in the twine)
    half cup of water
    packet of Lipton seasoning (I use the mushroom kind, but there are others)
    baby carrots
    Put it on low for 8 hours

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Re: OT: Crock pot recipes

One jar of chicken gravy (or 6-8oz if you make your own)
    one can cream of chicken condensed soup
    chicken broth
    Two cups chopped celery
    two cups chopped carrots
    two cups peas
    4-6 skinless chicken breats or thighs
    Salt (or celery salt if you have it) and pepper (or white pepper if you have it)

Pour the gravy and the chicken soup into the slow-cooker. Fill the empty soup can with broth and pour into slow-cooker. Salt and pepper to taste. Add chicken, carrots, celery and peas. Cook for 8 hours on low.
    I usually open the slow cooker one hour prior to the meal being cooked to break up the chicken, then let it continue to cook that way for the last hour.
    Serve over biscuits or noodles.

If you don't like peas or carrots you can switch them out for broccoli.

It's really tatsy. Sometimes I'll put some red pepper flakes in it to give ti a bit of a tex-mex kick.

Onion and wine pork

2lb pork roast or loin
    3/4 cup red wine
    1/4 cup water
    2-4 Tbsp. soy sauce (dependng on how salty you like things to be)
    1 packet onion soup mix (or one large red onion, diced)
    Salt and pepper
    8-10 small boiling potatos

Combine liquids and soup mix in crockpot and mix until blended, salt and pepper to taste. Put in pork and potatoes. turn until coated.
    cook on low 8 hours.
    WARNING: this smells heavenly after a few hours and neighbors may come knocking.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ariel81916. Show Ariel81916's posts

This one's great at this time of year when cider and apples are readily available:

2 - 4 lb pork loin
    2 sweet potatoes, chopped into bite-sized pieces
    1 apple, chopped
    1 -2  cups apple cider (enough to ensure everything's got some liquid cover)
    Salt and pepper to taste

Cook on low 6-8 hours.

I made this at home last weekend and used my mini slow cooker (Little Dipper it's called) for about an hour before it was done to make apple sauce on the side - a couple of apples chopped, cooked in water with a little lemon juice and a cinnamon stick. Drained most of the liquid when the apples were soft and mashed them with a whisk and added brown sugar to taste. (I have an unnatural love of apples.)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

me too! I'll have to make this one next week!

And put a little bourbon in your applesauce, it's divine!!!

In Response to Re: OT: Crock pot recipes:
    [QUOTE]This one's great at this time of year when cider and apples are readily available: 2 - 4 lb pork loin 2 sweet potatoes, chopped into bite-sized pieces 1 apple, chopped 1 -2  cups apple cider (enough to ensure everything's got some liquid cover) Salt and pepper to taste Cook on low 6-8 hours. I made this at home last weekend and used my mini slow cooker (Little Dipper it's called) for about an hour before it was done to make apple sauce on the side - a couple of apples chopped, cooked in water with a little lemon juice and a cinnamon stick. Drained most of the liquid when the apples were soft and mashed them with a whisk and added brown sugar to taste. (I have an unnatural love of apples.)
    Posted by Ariel81916[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chiffonade. Show chiffonade's posts

Pinkkittie, do you sear the chicken on the stove first or just put it is as is?

This sounds like pure comfort food!

[QUOTE]One jar of chicken gravy (or 6-8oz if you make your own) one can cream of chicken condensed soup chicken broth Two cups chopped celery two cups chopped carrots two cups peas 4-6 skinless chicken breats or thighs Salt (or celery salt if you have it) and pepper (or white pepper if you have it) Pour the gravy and the chicken soup into the slow-cooker. Fill the empty soup can with broth and pour into slow-cooker. Salt and pepper to taste. Add chicken, carrots, celery and peas. Cook for 8 hours on low. I usually open the slow cooker one hour prior to the meal being cooked to break up the chicken, then let it continue to cook that way for the last hour. Serve over biscuits or noodles. If you don't like peas or carrots you can switch them out for broccoli. It's really tatsy. Sometimes I'll put some red pepper flakes in it to give ti a bit of a tex-mex kick.
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

no searing necessary if you're going to break up the chicken an hour before it's done, like I do.
    If you want to keep the chicken breasts whole, I'd sear them a bit first just so they don't get dry in the middle.

It is pure comfort food, which I love!

[QUOTE]Pinkkittie, do you sear the chicken on the stove first or just put it is as is? This sounds like pure comfort food! In Response to Re: OT: Crock pot recipes :
    Posted by chiffonade[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

I love the crock pot and can't decide on just one recipe.  I do highly recommend the cookbook "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker" by Beth Hensperger and Julie Kaufmann.  There are tons of wonderful and interesting recipes.  I try to make a new one each week and I have yet to taste one that I don't like.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ariel,
    Just saw your post. I make applesauce frequently, and there is no need to bring  out your slow-cooker. Just peel and chop apples in small chunks. Rinse them in water and place them in a pot with whatever water is "hanging on". Add your cinnamon and lemon if you like. Then put your pot on a slow to medium and cook for maybe 15 - 20 minutes or until your apples are soft, stirring on and off. Add sugar to taste. Apple sauce tra-da.
    No need to drain all the good nutrition from your apples. Like you, I just love apples. Can eat them anytime in any shape.

[QUOTE]This one's great at this time of year when cider and apples are readily available: 2 - 4 lb pork loin 2 sweet potatoes, chopped into bite-sized pieces 1 apple, chopped 1 -2  cups apple cider (enough to ensure everything's got some liquid cover) Salt and pepper to taste Cook on low 6-8 hours. I made this at home last weekend and used my mini slow cooker (Little Dipper it's called) for about an hour before it was done to make apple sauce on the side - a couple of apples chopped, cooked in water with a little lemon juice and a cinnamon stick. Drained most of the liquid when the apples were soft and mashed them with a whisk and added brown sugar to taste. (I have an unnatural love of apples.)
    Posted by Ariel81916[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Microwave applesauce

I make my applesauce in the microwave.  Peel and slice apples (as if for pie.)  Fill large microwaveable bowl with apples, add a few tbs of water, add sugar (I start with 1/3, 1/2 cup then add more at the end if necessary, or maple syrup for a nice taste) cinnamon, and a bit of ginger is nice.  Microwave for 4-5 minutes, stir, microwave again and stir, until it reaches the desired consistency.  We like it quite chunky.  Taste and correct sweetness and seasonings.  Then it can be stored in the bowl!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from flaxen. Show flaxen's posts

[QUOTE] Onion and wine pork 2lb pork roast or loin 3/4 cup red wine 1/4 cup water 2-4 Tbsp. soy sauce (dependng on how salty you like things to be) 1 packet onion soup mix (or one large red onion, diced) Salt and pepper 8-10 small boiling potatos Combine liquids and soup mix in crockpot and mix until blended, salt and pepper to taste. Put in pork and potatoes. turn until coated. cook on low 8 hours. WARNING: this smells heavenly after a few hours and neighbors may come knocking.
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

Hey PinkKittie,
    I've got this in the crock pot as we speak!  I don't eat pork, but DH does so I decided to give it a try for him.  He's invited his parents over (gah!) so I've got my fingers crossed...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from katel. Show katel's posts

I'm really excited to try some of these recipes! We got a crock pot for our shower 2 years ago and I've never used it! Thanks, ladies!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fun fact about searing.  I learned on the Myth Busting episode of Good Eats on the Food Network with Alton Brown that it doesn't keep meat juicy, contrary to widely popular and long standing tradition and belief.  He put two identical steaks in the oven one having been seared one totally raw.  They lost the same amount of weight during cooking.  HOWEVER, he didn't go so far as to say "no need to sear" because he readily commented on how the carmelization on the outside is "good eats," 'cause it adds so much yummy flavor.

So, bottom line, if you have time, sear the chicken for taste.  If you don't, it won't be any drier than if you hadn't.

Sorry, no "reply" so if this seems totally random, check out the first couple of posts about chicken breasts.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Hi ladies,
     I got an awesome crock cookbook for my birthday ~ Make it fast, Cook it Slow.  It's based off a blog, where she made a resolution to cook a new crock pot recipe every day for a year.  And her recipies are mostly gluton-free too. 
    I have cabbage rolls cooking now & cannot wait until DH gets home, they smell so good!  And it took all of 5 minutes to make them before tossing them in the pot. 
    (warning, the photo does not look too appetizing)

And Kar ~ thanks for sharing the searing tip.  I'm all about less prep work :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, tibird, hope you and DH are well.  How's he doing?

Mm, I like to know what I can skip with minimal loss of quality in case I'm in a hurry.

Cabbage dishes never look too appetizing as the color of cabbage goes pretty blah after it's been cooked, but it IS tasty!

Sections
Shortcuts