OT-Dear Prudie

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

OT-Dear Prudie

I think this is one of the few times a letter to Dear Prudence has left me speechless

Dear Prudie,
    I have been out of college for a year and have a great job doing contest promotions for a radio company. A very nice co-worker of mine co-hosts a popular morning show. I've found out a secret about her, and I don't know what to do. She appears to be 25 or 26 years old, but I discovered she's really in her late 30s! This is very disturbing. From the way she jokes around, walks, and looks, you would never know she's an older lady. Her audience is mostly college-age kids, and she does appearances at campuses and bars. That's so creepy! Her birthday is next week, and she has invited me and a few others my age to lunch. Since news of her age spread like wildfire through my department, some of us have bought her gag gifts—an inflatable walker, denture cream, etc. She's in a youth-oriented business, and I don't think she understands how pathetic and out of place she really is. I can't help staring at her like she's some strange creature. Should I confront her with what I know? And how do I maintain a professional relationship with someone who's a huge phony, desperately clinging to youth?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from that-guy. Show that-guy's posts

Re: OT-Dear Prudie

What's leaving you speechless - the 23 year old who thinks that an old lady in her 30's has no business appearing in bars, or the fact that someone in their late 30's would want to be around kids in their early 20's that much?

Commercial radio personalities in general are losers, but then again, so are their target audience.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

No link???  For others that would also like a link to see the response it is here.

I would have told the youngin' that perhaps there is no deceiption and the station big wigs (or appropriate people at the station) do in fact know her age and nobody advertises her age.  Depending on how old she is it could become an age discrimination issue etc to be discussing her age.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

sorry scorpio :-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

if this person works in Boston, I think I know who she's talking about.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

In Response to Re: OT-Dear Prudie:
    sorry scorpio :-)
    Posted by NorthernLghts

No worries :)

I am still kind of annoyed that the LW was upset because she sad the woman "appears to be 25 or 26 years old, but I discovered she's really in her late 30s!"  I am just stuck on that, I don't see why this is a problem if the woman never said she was 25 or 26.  The LW looks like an @ss because she assumed the age of the woman based on her looks.

IF the lady looks that young and has a fan base and doing her job the more power to her.  For me that is not the lifestyle I would want, so guess what I am not living it.  I think the LW looks more pathetic than the woman that is doing her job.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Wow.  After reading that response, I officially think I'm in love with Prudie.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

I don't get why that's noteworthy. Good for her. I hope I'm cool with a young crowd when I'm in my late 30s. I also hope that the station reads the column and fires her for being so catty.

Did anyone read the letter below it about the car accident? So tragic.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I just read it.  If I were driving the speed limit, and some impatient jacka$$ felt the need to try to pass me and the two cars behind me over a double yellow line around a blind curb, and died for her troubles, and some idiot said, "See what happens when you drive too slow?" I would hit him with my purse.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Ditto, Lucy. Ditto.
    Dh is a road-rager, and he'll always say that someone driving "slow" on the highway ("slow" because they're going the speed limit) is dangerous. That they should be keeping up with traffic. I always point out how driving te speed limit is the opposite of dangerous.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

There's a road I take every morning to get to the train station and the speed limit is 25. Sure, that's a little slow but it's a well traveled road with lots of houses on it. There's a corner thats quite blind (due to a coffee house) and people can take it at rediculous speeds and cross over the center line.  For this reason i'm pretty mindful of the speed limit. You can tailgate and honk all you want (that happened yesterday) but i'm not hitting someone (or getting a ticket) because you are in a rush.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

The original letter makes me angry.  The writer sounds like a jerk.  I can't wait until they are in their late 30s and see how they feel about people talking about their age like that.

Kind of funny, but I immediately assumed the writer was a guy.  Was I wrong?

Whenever I think about age, I think about something my boss told me when I was a little down about turning 30.  She said "no wise man ever wished to be younger."  I sort of thought about and I remebered where I was in my life when I was in my early 20s, and realized I'd never want to go back there.  Those years were the toughest of my life, figuring out who I was and what I wanted, and I'm very happy to be so much more secure, independent and happy with myself now. 

And based on that letter writer, I say youth = studipity and I'm pretty happy to have the wisdom that comes with age.  I can honestly say, I don't feel bad about growing older anymore.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't left the job I had when I was 23-24 to go to law school.  I figured that I would have risen pretty far in the ranks.

Last week, they closed, laying off 412 people, including probably over 100 people that I knew and worked with. 

I still feel awful about getting older, but I don't feel bad about moving on and growing up, and that pretty much all goes together.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from that-guy. Show that-guy's posts

"And based on that letter writer, I say youth = studipity and I'm pretty happy to have the wisdom that comes with age."

Interesting how when I comment that youth=stupidity in many cases I'm jumped all over, yet this passes by untouched?  Double standard?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Personally, I would feel a little weird being constantly surrounded by people 10 years younger than me. It would probably make me feel old.
    But, if this woman is comfortable with it and her generation gap doesn't affect her performance, I really don't quite understand why the LW thought it was "sad and pathetic".
    I mean, if all your friends are 10 years younger than you, you can still share the same interests and hobbies and not be "clinging to youth".
    If she likes to party hearty, good for her. If I had the kind of job that encouraged the rocknroll lifestyle, I'd be all about it.
    And I wonder if the LW has considered the kind of pressure that women in the music industry must feel to be hip and young. Her job depends on it. Pulling it off is something to be admired, not pitied.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I totally forget I'm creeping up on 40.  That letter made me kind of angry, too.  People guess me to be between 25 - 30 all the time, but I don't TRY to act or look younger than I am.  It's not like I'm being deceptive or anything.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

I love growing older. Why would anyone want to stay in their 20's? Like Trex, I did a lot of growing up in my early twenties, went through a lot of heartaches, etc. I am so happy to be over with all of that, to be indpendent, making my own money, have a stable career.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

Was scrolling through and this topic caught my eye and well, I feel compelled to comment.

I have two daughters in college, so I would guess around the age of the LW?  It makes me proud to know that they didn't behave this immaturely in high school, maybe not in middle school either.  I loved, loved Prudence's response.  I just bookmarked that link.

And for those of you (all of you?) who haven't reached this milestone yet, my forties have been my favorite decade - by far.  Hair maintenence is a b*tch though. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Oh, no!  I can't think of any way maintaining my hair could be any more obnoxious than it is right now.  Yell

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

Our best friends right now are all in their mid-20's, and I myself am pushing 40.  (And my FI is mid-30's.)  My FI worked with him, so they became friendly.  I met him and her, and we just clicked.  She'd had a tough life, and I became a surrogate "older sister".  (We just ignore the fact that technically I'm old enough to be her mother!)  We then became friends with their friends, and that's who we hang out with socially most of the time.  Sometimes it's weird, but most of the time we just forget about the age difference.  They got married and bought a house last year, so for all intents and purposes, they're our peers.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from -callie. Show -callie's posts

hahaha lucy.  When I need a lttle stroking, I threaten to stage a revolt and go au naturel.  Then it's compliment, compliment.  Apparently my family thinks grey + me wouldn't suit.  Truth is, neither do I, but that's my secret.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I love growing older. Why would anyone want to stay in their 20's? Like Trex, I did a lot of growing up in my early twenties, went through a lot of heartaches, etc. I am so happy to be over with all of that, to be indpendent, making my own money, have a stable career.
    Posted by Peonie

I totally agree.  I don't relate to people who say they wish they could go back to "the good ol' days."  I love getting older, too!!  I'm reminded of a Steven Curtis Chapman song that says how he looks forward to watching his wife "grow in beauty."  (I Will Be Here)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

This reminds me... I saw a blurb in TV Guide about how Liz Lemon's hair is too frumpy on 30 Rock... Yeah the photo looked exactly how my hair looks at least 4 days out of every week.  Thank you TV Guide!  (In their defense, I don't really prefer my hair waivy/messy but I refuse to blow dry it every day.)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

the only thing in my early 20s I wish I could return to is not having any bills to pay. That was a great feeling! :)

In Response to Re: OT-Dear Prudie : I totally agree.  I don't relate to people who say they wish they could go back to "the good ol' days."  I love getting older, too!!  I'm reminded of a Steven Curtis Chapman song that says how he looks forward to watching his wife "grow in beauty."  (I Will Be Here)
    Posted by kargiver

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I was much thinner in my early 20s.   I had that whole thing where I could eat garbage constantly, never work out, and still be a size 4.  I could totally return to that.