OT - Etiquette question, but not wedding related

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

OT - Etiquette question, but not wedding related

I'd like to get my mailperson a holiday gift/gratuity this year.  I have not done this before.  what is an appropriate amount/gift?  Cash?  Giftcard to a local place (DD, Starbucks, etc.)?  I appreciate any advice!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Re: OT - Etiquette question, but not wedding related

According to an online tip guide

"Non-cash gifts with value up to $20. This is for mail carriers that you know and see regularly."

We usually give our mail carrier a $20 gift card to Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks with a holiday card.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Thanks for posting that TRex! That's better than the one I found a few weeks ago. I wanted to know how much would be appropriate to give my regular hairdresser and it said the cost of one service. She's a wonderful hairdresser but I'm not spending more on my hairdresser than I am on my own brother!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

We usually give ours $20.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Sure, no problem!  Glad it helpled!  Tipping drives me crazy, I never know when to do it or how much.  I'd much rather people just tell me what to give them!  I let FI take care of it!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks everyone.  I don't know my mailcarrier, and he/she bends all of my mail to get it into the slot, even if it doesn't need to be bent to fit (resulting in every Christmas card/photo with a big crease in it) so I'm not a HUGE fan, but I want to give him/her something.  I will probably go with a giftcard.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If my mail carrier carelessly bent all my mail I'd certainly not reward the bad behavior with a tip!  Tips, in my mind, are for good service.  Why are you tipping him?  Just curious as to your thought process since it's obviously different than mine.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I don't believe in tipping the mail carrier, that is their job and they are getting paid for it.  The hairdresser - are you talking about "tipping" her/him outside of a your normal appt?  I think that is crazy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Poppy:  I probably wouldn't tip the mail carrier if I didn't know them.  Actually, the first time we did it was last year because we had a really nice one.  And now that we own a home, we like having a good relationship with ours.  But I agree with Kar, I wouldn't tip them if their service wasn't very good, like bending photocards! 

I kind of think tipping gets out of hand.  LIke I said, I never know when it is expected and not, which stresses me out.  I wouldn't tip my hairdresser just for the holidays either, unless I had a really good relationship and she was great.  But then, I only get my hair cut twice a year and I tip at the time of service.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

I gave my mail carrier a $25 gift cert to the 99, same with the UPS "guy."  I also tip the house cleaner (1.5 weeks pay) and the dog walker (2x pay, she's like family), and the newspaper "girl" $20. It does add up!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

I've been seeing the same hairdresser for maybe 3 years now. We kind of knew each other in passing in high school and she recognized me right away on my first appointment. I see her every 7 weeks and she always remembers things about my FI, my condo, my family, my job. She's also coming in from maternity leave to do my hair for the wedding. I typically see her once right before Christmas, so it's not like I'm making a special trip in. This year I got her a $15 gift card to Bed Bath and Beyond because she just bought a house. Last year I think it was Dunkin Donuts.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I was kind of hoping if I tipped him/her, he/she would STOP bending my mail!  :(

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Call me cheap, but I don't tip at the holidays. I mean, I give the usual tip if I'm in a restaurant or getting my hair done, but I don't tip above that. No one gives me a tip for doing my job [when I have one lol].  I tip well - 15% for just showing up w/ a pulse, and 20% or more for attentive service [meaning they brought me my second glass of water w/o me having to wait for 30 minutes and then delivering it along w/ the check].  I don't understand why anyone feels the need to tip over and above the normal amount.

For kid's teachers or babysitters, that's a whole different kettle of fish b/c there is a different relationship there  than there is w/ your mailman or hairdresser. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Just curious, when you tip the mail carrier, do you just leave it in the mailbox? We just have the box on the front of the house, so it's not like there is a flap to put up. I want to make sure he realizes there is something for him!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

ALF, if you're cheap then I am too. I've never heard of tipping the mail carrier at Christmas. Have you guys always done it or is this relatively new?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

My FI works from home periodically, so he gives it to the mail carrier.  Otherwise, not sure what the safest way to do it is!

I never thought of tipping the mail carrier either, but I guess FI's family always did it.  My family never did!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Honestly, the first time I ever heard of tipping the mail carrier was when they mentioned it on an episode of Friends - Rachel and Monica tipped with cookies.  The mail carrier was not impressed.

I've never done it.  I'm with Alf - I tip the normal people you would tip, I tip 15-20%, depending, and I get SO ANNOYED when the waitress doesn't come back to refill my water!  Yell  Yes, I drink an abnormally large amount of water.  No, I don't pay for water.  Yes, it's still your job to bring me more.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Some people have tipped mail carriers for years and years.  Old etiquette books- 60's through 80's )Mom has a shelf full, fun reading) talk about it. 
        I have never understood why people tip the mail carriers in our town or any other who start at $18.75 plus good bennies these days, some making up to $30 an hour, and all get 1 1/2 time for overtime.  Not to mention 27 paid days off plus their vacation days every year.   Why do even 1/4 of the 500 or so homes and businesses on their regular routes give them $20.
         If all did, that would be a $10,000 yearly bonus.  Excuse me, that is their job.  Taxpayers pay what our postage does not cover.

News delivery people who make $12-15 an hour, no benefits, and take gas and the wear and tear of running their car 50-75 miles a day and insuring it for business use - meaning they do not clear $10 before taxes,  them I tip.  Not one paid day off in a year, since any substitute gets every penny for days of delivery.
    Babysitters or day care, household help, anyone with really low pay and no benefits, that is where I draw the line.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Add me to the cheapies.  I tip generously those service people who's job pay scale is commiserate with getting tipped.

poppy, good luck with that!  Wasted money if you ask me, but let's hope it works.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Well, I agree that it may not be necessary, but a nice thing to do.  They are providing a service, so I do give them a tip.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I do tip generously our mailman and our FedEx guy at our office. They have been coming for over 20 years, and often do us favors.
    But at home? No. We used to have a great mailman, but the one we have now is a moron. He places packages on top of our mailbox at the end of our driveway instead of bringing them to our door. No matter the weather. (Now I have them delivered to my office instead). He keeps placing my neighbors' mail in our box and several times, I had to call banks and  CC companies, because I was missing statements. No tip for "bad behavior".
    I used to tip our paperboy, when it was a kid that delivered papers by foot. I would also have tipped the grown up coming in his car. But he would throw our paper whichever way he felt. And too many times I had to go out to get a rain soaked paper. In the wintertime, I would find several papers laying around after the snow melted. But at the end of every month, he would make sure to leave the paper with an envelope right at our front door. I finally got so fed up with him, that I cancelled our paper all together.
    Other service people, I tip when service is rendered. Not just because it Christmas. I usually tip 20% at restaurants, unless the service is really bad.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dani273. Show Dani273's posts

I always give a small token gift to the mail man as he is always going out of his way to make sure that my packages do not get left out for all to see. He also used to let my son help him sort out the mail with him.....there are 3 post boxes at my home, multi family. He always took time to let my toddler "help" him. It was so sweet. He's a nice guy!