OT: Finance stuff

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Re: OT: Finance stuff

I've ironed exactly once in my life.  The shirt didn't look any better when I was done than when I started.

But, I know that ironing exists (mostly because, thanks to my delightul roommate, I walk into the ironing board at least twice a week).  I just don't do it.  Nor do I send stuff out to be ironed - it just gets wrinkled hanging in my closet.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Oh god my sheets are so wrinkled.  I have been tempted to iron them, but as dkb said, they will just get wrinkled anyway!
    I iron about once a month.  I have to give in eventually.  My work wardrobe just about doubles in size when I get around to ironing 2 pairs of pants and 6 shirts all at once :o)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I avoid DCO clothing, but if you want good stuff for the office you often don't have a choice. I just never ever send it to be cleaned unless I spill something on it.
    If the DCO clothes need to be refreshed, I stick them in the dryer with a damp white cotton t-shirt and a dryer sheet. Works like a charm.

I used to use the dryel sheets or Febreeze, but I couldn't stand the way it smelled.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

In Response to Re: OT: Finance stuff:
    [QUOTE]dkb, the ironing sheets thing is generational.  The now very, very old fashioned way to make a "perfect" bed is to iron the sheets.  Many times there was embroidery or lace on the tops that were to be folded down to show.  Was she an older woman?
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Interesting.  No, she wasn't an older woman, I think she was just a little OCD.  I told her to just put them on the bed right when they get out of the dryer and are still warm, that way you can smooth out any wrinkles with your hand.  That's what I did (when I had a dryer) and it seemed to work.  It would be counterproductive now...DH leaves after me and it appears he has a wrestling match with the bed each morning.  He attempts to make it sometimes, where he basically just pulls the covers up to the headboard.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

lol, DH has a talent for pulling up the fitted sheet in his sleep.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OT: Finance stuff : Interesting.  No, she wasn't an older woman, I think she was just a little OCD.  I told her to just put them on the bed right when they get out of the dryer and are still warm, that way you can smooth out any wrinkles with your hand.  That's what I did (when I had a dryer) and it seemed to work.  It would be counterproductive now...DH leaves after me and it appears he has a wrestling match with the bed each morning.  He attempts to make it sometimes, where he basically just pulls the covers up to the headboard.
    Posted by dkb6248[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostongal19. Show Bostongal19's posts

I usually lurk here, but wanted to pass along a tip for your next Al-Clad purchase.  I found great deals on Al-Clad at the Williams-Sonoma outlet located at the Wrentham outlets last year.  It's usually 30%-50% off retail, maybe even more if you can stomach the day after Thanksgiving madness. 

[QUOTE]Pingo, what a great suggestion!  I hadn't thought of that, but I should have.  I've noticed their idea of "seconds" isn't exactly a problem for me, LOL!  I wonder when I can get away to Kittery.  Too bad ALF has moved to Virginia.  I think she was in York, ME. Another money saving tip!  Shop at the outlets.  Wow, we're back on topic. :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

I will admit to occasionally ironing sheets.  I love the smell of sheets hung out to dry but they pretty much are stiff as starch after you pull them off the line.  So if I had been ironing anyway I will run a quick pass over the sheets, nothing fancy and I am not paying a lot of atttention, but it does make the sheets softer and they retain that wonderful dried in the sun smell.  But 99% of the time I just put them on stiff and they are soft by morning.

And pretty much all of my shirts and DH's shirts if I remember to actually get them out of the dryer and hang them when they are still warm will not need ironing.  Sometimes the placet for the buttons needs a quick touch up but nothing extensive.  I look for wash and wear for the most part.  My DH has some DCO sweaters and he was trained well to never put them in the hamper, he keeps those in their own basket when they need to be cleaned and he takes them to be done.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hi Guys!  I love this thread!  Lots of useful info!

Pingo:  I like ironing too.  I wash and iron all FI's dress shirts (people really think you have to dry clean them?).  It is funny, I also find ironing kind of relaxing.  I just wish I was better at it, I'm not very fast.  :)

OT, but I have a question about sheets.  We have bought several new sets of sheets and it seems that in a month or so they get all pilly and rough.  I hate the way it feels, but sheets are so expensive, I've just been living with it.  We've tried a few different kinds, but they all seem to do it.  Am I washing them wrong?  I use gentle cycle, cold water and they are 100% cotton.  It is really driving me crazy.  I had 2 sets of sheets for my old bed (full size) that lasted 4 years no problem.  FI and I got a queen set last year and at least 4 sheet sets have already been ruined.  Maybe it is him... (JK!)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

[QUOTE] OT, but I have a question about sheets.  We have bought several new sets of sheets and it seems that in a month or so they get all pilly and rough.  I hate the way it feels, but sheets are so expensive, I've just been living with it.  We've tried a few different kinds, but they all seem to do it.  Am I washing them wrong?  I use gentle cycle, cold water and they are 100% cotton.  It is really driving me crazy.  I had 2 sets of sheets for my old bed (full size) that lasted 4 years no problem.  FI and I got a queen set last year and at least 4 sheet sets have already been ruined.  Maybe it is him... (JK!)
    Posted by trex509[/QUOTE]

I had this happen to some nice sheets I bought with a high thread count. But the cheaper ones, with a still decent but not ridiculous, thread count from Target are fine years and years later... I wash them hot/warm on regular, sometimes with bleach (they are whitish). I don't know, I think it just depends on the type of sheets.

Oh and I had an ex that asked me to drop his shirts off at the cleaners one time. I asked for them to be dry cleaned. That was WRONG. The cleaners usually launder them, not dry clean.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

No joke - a woman I work with just walked by saying to someone how much she loves to iron!  I wonder if she read this post??!

I wish some of Trex and Pingo's love of ironing would rub off on me!  I'm obsessed with wrinkles (won't leave the house with any, or let DH) but I ABHOR ironing!!  Yet I do it every day.  Even if I hang things nicely in the closet they still get wrinkled.  *sigh*

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE] Oh and I had an ex that asked me to drop his shirts off at the cleaners one time. I asked for them to be dry cleaned. That was WRONG. The cleaners usually launder them, not dry clean.
    Posted by cicirose[/QUOTE]

Well, that's what he gets for not taking them himself.  Kiss

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Anyone else ever notice how they charge much more for a female's dress shirt to be dry cleaned than a male's?  Annoys the heck out of me!  I think I read once that it's because the men's shirts are big enough to fit on a mold or something.  Who knows!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Fra--I'd guess it's because of the crazy tailoring on women's dress shirts.  My shirts are SO much harder to iron than my husband's.  His are like mostly straight panels, so they probably do fit a mold easily, whereas women's shirts have extra darts to accomodate our curves, and require lots of maneuvering (at least for me, when I iron, which is admittedly rare).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

[QUOTE]Hi Guys!  I love this thread!  Lots of useful info! Pingo:  I like ironing too.  I wash and iron all FI's dress shirts (people really think you have to dry clean them?).  It is funny, I also find ironing kind of relaxing.  I just wish I was better at it, I'm not very fast.  :) OT, but I have a question about sheets.  We have bought several new sets of sheets and it seems that in a month or so they get all pilly and rough.  I hate the way it feels, but sheets are so expensive, I've just been living with it.  We've tried a few different kinds, but they all seem to do it.  Am I washing them wrong?  I use gentle cycle, cold water and they are 100% cotton.  It is really driving me crazy.  I had 2 sets of sheets for my old bed (full size) that lasted 4 years no problem.  FI and I got a queen set last year and at least 4 sheet sets have already been ruined.  Maybe it is him... (JK!)
    I was going to ask what kind of thread count you are getting.  I like a high thread count but generally won't go higher than 400 just due to the cost.  I also tend to go for 'sateen' sheets they seem to pill less.  You can often get pretty good buys on high thread count sheets at TJMaxx/Marshalls and on overstock.com.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Trex, I've never had a problem with pilling, but I've also never bought expensive cotton sheets.  It seems weird that $20 sheets from Target or JCPenney would be better than the good stuff.

I was thinking about buying something nicer, but now... I am  not so sure... Undecided

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Hi Guys!  I love this thread!  Lots of useful info! Pingo:  I like ironing too.  I wash and iron all FI's dress shirts (people really think you have to dry clean them?).  It is funny, I also find ironing kind of relaxing.  I just wish I was better at it, I'm not very fast.  :) OT, but I have a question about sheets.  We have bought several new sets of sheets and it seems that in a month or so they get all pilly and rough.  I hate the way it feels, but sheets are so expensive, I've just been living with it.  We've tried a few different kinds, but they all seem to do it.  Am I washing them wrong?  I use gentle cycle, cold water and they are 100% cotton.  It is really driving me crazy.  I had 2 sets of sheets for my old bed (full size) that lasted 4 years no problem.  FI and I got a queen set last year and at least 4 sheet sets have already been ruined.  Maybe it is him... (JK!)

You aren't washing them wrong, you aren't spending enough to get quality sheets.  You should be able to wash them in hot water with regular detergent and bleach.  Get white so you can kill the dust mites by washing them that way.

We spring for really nice sheets with high thread count.  The 200 thread count sheets will be rough no matter how many times you wash them because they don't have enough threads per inch to be smooth.  And, cheap sheets tend to pill because they are made with cotton that has the shortest fibers (or staples), and they tend to break during washing and using.

We buy the hotel quality 400 - 600 thread count 100% cotton sheets.  BBB sells them and even has samples for you to feel.  Also, the Egyptian and Pima cottons are softer than the cotton they don't specify the name of because they have very long staples.  Yup, we pay a lot, but they last forever, are very soft, never pill, and you can wash them in a fashion that kills germs and dust mites.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]I've ironed exactly once in my life.  The shirt didn't look any better when I was done than when I started. But, I know that ironing exists (mostly because, thanks to my delightul roommate, I walk into the ironing board at least twice a week).  I just don't do it.  Nor do I send stuff out to be ironed - it just gets wrinkled hanging in my closet.
    Posted by lucy7368[/QUOTE]

If you ever do need to iron something, the reason it looked just the same as when you started was that the iron wasn't hot enough and/or you didn't use steam.  If you're nervous, turn the garment inside out.  That's a good idea, anyway.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

I had been using a cheaper mattress pads on my bed for quite a while on our old bed (i think the mattress was about as old as DH). When we upgraded to a new bed when we moved a just bought the same one i had always been using since it worked so well. Went to change the sheets this past weekend and somehow, in my sleep, i managed to wear a hole into it. In all the years we had the old bed this never happened. Cheap isn't always best it seems. I still use the $20 target tee shirt sheets, but i went out to Macy's and bought a real mattress pad. I got a Wamsutta (sp?) one that was normally $50 for $18. It was 40% off and i had a gift card left over from our wedding. Amazing the difference it made...the mattress pad fits much better and feels better to sleep on. So i say, cheap sheets, better quality mattress pad :-)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redflatshoe. Show redflatshoe's posts

I apologize if I misunderstood your post.  I should have made it clear on the original post that the owner changed her mind regarding selling the house.  My landlord only agreed to a 2-year lease.  She was not your typical apartment landlord, she was a homeowner.  Since this was not your typical lease agrements, I asked the landlord to give us 60 day notice if she is planning to sell the house.  If she could not give us 60 day notice, I asked for rent reduction to pay for moving expenses. 

Like I said on the original post, this is not for everyone.  A lot of these things are negotiable, it never hurts to discuss them with your landlord and realtor before signing anything.

To the other poster: Yes it is important to read lease agreements.  It is even more important when buying a house.  I remember I made the lawyers and the mortgage broker run the numbers 3x because they keep getting them wrong.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OT: Finance stuff : That wasn't my point.  Most landlords don't offer 2 year leases, especially ones trying to sell their house, so pretty amazing you managed to get a 2yr lease.  I have lived in my apartment for 4 years and always planned on staying there until I am ready to buy.  I hate moving and just wouldn't want to be uprooted after a year or two when my lease was up if my landlord found a buyer.  For those reasons, I wouldn't rent from someone trying to sell the place.  I'll see if my sister has better luck, but $1500 is probably the minimum in Lexington now.
    Posted by dkb6248[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]I apologize if I misunderstood your post.  I should have made it clear on the original post that the owner changed her mind regarding selling the house.  My landlord only agreed to a 2-year lease.  She was not your typical apartment landlord, she was a homeowner.  Since this was not your typical lease agrements, I asked the landlord to give us 60 day notice if she is planning to sell the house.  If she could not give us 60 day notice, I asked for rent reduction to pay for moving expenses. 
    Posted by redflatshoe[/QUOTE]

Why?  You said she couldn't sell the house because you had a lease.  So why would you need notice?

I'm sorry... maybe I'm missing something.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

If I were buying a house, why would I read a lease agreement?  Why would there even be a lease agreement? 

And by homeowner, do you mean she lived in the home she was renting out to you?  My landlord is the homeowner and he rents out 2 floors of his 3 family home.  I assume you are referring to typical landlord as a company that manages apartment buildings? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OT: Finance stuff : You aren't washing them wrong, you aren't spending enough to get quality sheets.  You should be able to wash them in hot water with regular detergent and bleach.  Get white so you can kill the dust mites by washing them that way. We spring for really nice sheets with high thread count.  The 200 thread count sheets will be rough no matter how many times you wash them because they don't have enough threads per inch to be smooth.  And, cheap sheets tend to pill because they are made with cotton that has the shortest fibers (or staples), and they tend to break during washing and using. We buy the hotel quality 400 - 600 thread count 100% cotton sheets.  BBB sells them and even has samples for you to feel.  Also, the Egyptian and Pima cottons are softer than the cotton they don't specify the name of because they have very long staples.  Yup, we pay a lot, but they last forever, are very soft, never pill, and you can wash them in a fashion that kills germs and dust mites.

We do, too, Kar. Not to sound spoiled but I can not sleep on cheap sheets. I hate the roughness feel to them. FI and I just bought 4 pairs of sheets at 800 count, 2 Pima cotton, and 2 Egyptian cotton, and since we have a king size bed, it cost about $100 a set. So, yes, we spent about $400 on sheets, BUT...they will last a long time, and I'm telling you everytime they get washed, they get softer..it is amazing. I LOVE them. Macy's sells them. Def worth the extra money, IMO. Also, it comes with a full set...including pillow cases.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

We have tried a couple different sheet sets, but the last 2 were 400 thread count, 100% pima cotton.  One was from Marshalls ($40), the other from Kohl's ($60).  Both pilled within a few months.  I guess I'm hesitant to spend more because these weren't that cheap and still were bad.  But maybe they were just poor quality.    BBB's are so expensive.. and yes, they all felt perfect and soft originally, it was after several washes that they turned rough.  So feeling in store doesn't help.

Maybe I'll try splurging on Macy's sheets and see if they are better.  Liz, do you remember what brand you bought? 

Thanks for all the advice guys!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Charter Club, they are AWESOME. Expensive. But I would rather pay the money upfront, than have to keep spending money to buy new sheets everytime they get gross...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Wow I bought my expensive sheets that pilled from Macy's.  Maybe I just got defective ones??? I wish I could still return them!

Sections
Shortcuts