OT - Help with earring hole that never felt right, always hurt

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OT - Help with earring hole that never felt right, always hurt

Hi, ladies,

I never cared that much, but since I got earrings for Christmas that I really love, now I have a problem that I do need a solution for.

My ears have been pierced for almost 30 years.  My left one healed up in the normal time and has never bothered me since.  The right one healed in that it doesn't close up unless I don't wear earrings for a very long time, but it has always been painful to put a post in and take it out and gets all crusty and yucky when I do wear them.  It's been this way since I was 9, and I have used alcohol, I've turned the earring obessively, tea tree oil, bacitracin at night with earrings I don't mind getting all greasy...

I had to reopen the back of the right one at Christmas, but that has long since healed and I'm back to the "usual" pain and nastiness I've always had.

Does anyone have a solution?  Does this happen to anyone else?  I figure it can't be an allergy in just one ear, right?!  But, it feels very similar to when I wear earrings that I'm allergic to (and both ears bother me). 

TIA for whatever tips you can give me!!!

~kar

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: OT - Help with earring hole that never felt right, always hurt

Talk to your doctor.  Maybe he/she knows what's going on. 

Another option is to let it close completely and then have that ear repierced.  In theory, it sounds like it could work. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It never actually closes altogether (just the back skin), even after years, so I'm afraid if I get it repierced it will give me a very large hole that still has problems and doesn't support studs.  That would be the biggest irony ever!

Oh, the doctor might know...you're going all the time - how about asking?  LOL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

I'd say it either keeps getting infected or you have some kind of contact dermatitis.

You can't be allergic on only one part of your skin, but it could be related to the way it was pierced (actually either an infection or dermatitis could be) so that part of the subcutaneous tissue (what lies directly under your skin) keeps getting irritated or exposed to something.

I'd see your primary care or a dermatologist.  They might be able to suggest a treatment, but I agree with ALF.  You might need to let this heal over and start again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Epigal. Show Epigal's posts

Something similar has been happening to me too! I thought I was the only one! My right ear is totally fine, but the left one gets red and hurts every time I wear an earring (I've had pierced ears for ~20 years).

Unfortunately I went to the doctor for it and they told me basically there's nothing to do about it. They told me it was a nickel allergy, but I don't understand how someone can develop an allergy in only one ear! (Their answer was something like "it just can't be explained"!) I think what happened with me is that I had an infection that never fully healed, and this has all come after that. I would suggest seeing a dermatologist if you can, because they were a lot more helpful than the PCP, but still no real answers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Epi, you, too? That stinks!

Yikes, this doesn't bode well for me.  The earrings I've been wearing since Christmas are 100% rhodium plated so there's no nickel exposed or anything else that would be reactive.

I guess it could be related to how it's pierced, but I went without earrings for 10 years and nothing changed except the back healed over (just the skin).  When I poked one through, it healed as much as it ever did.

I think I will make an appointment with a dermatologist.

Thanks, ladies!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Between you and Epi, you have 2 decent ears [your left and her right].  Maybe you could take turns w/ them, you know, like the 3 witches w/ the eye in Clash of the Titans?  lol. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL, ALF!!!  That's hilarious!  Laughing

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I am SO glad someone understood that reference.  lol. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

I had something somewhat similar but didn't last as long as your experience but it has been intermittent.  When my left ear feels that way, it will feel warm to the touch but not appear red. 

What I do is for a week, I will clean the post, back of the earring (the part touching the front part of the lobe) and the earing back (the part that holds the stud in with rubbing alcohol, I also put rubbing alchol on a q-tip and soak it and put it over the hole, and kind of mash it against the lobe so some of the alcohol gets into the hole.  I do this on the front and back (using different ends of the same q-tip for the front and back).  After a week all is good, no pain no warmth no crusties.  (ETA- I do the cleaning of the earring etc each morning for a week.)

I figure this is intermitent because I will occasionaly have an earring that should have been cleaned but wasn't in a timely manner. Good luck.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Scorpio, thanks - I will give this a whirl.  I wonder why it doesn't affect both ears, but whatever.  I guess it's a mystery not to be solved.

cici, they white gold posts with regular butterfly backs all plated with Rhodium that I've worn every day since Christmas.  I guess the holes could be different sizes, but I got them done at a kiosk with those special piercing studs.  I'd think they were equal, essentially...????????????

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from woodie. Show woodie's posts

Hey Kar -

I am allergic to antibiotic ointment.  When I use it on my ears, they get really itchy and red.  Try not using the ointment and see if the redness clears up..

- K

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

ears are not created equally.
    I had my ears pierced twice. Both times one ear was fine and the other would get horribly infected and reject the earring. Almost split a lobe on one side.
    I just decided to not wear earrings anymore. However, one ear is totally healed up (it's been about 15 years since they were pierced), and the other still manages to fill up with pus every once in a while and scab over. It makes little sense.

the funniest thing is that most people don't even notice I never wear earrings. I occasioanlly receive earrings as a gift, only to have to ask for the receipt.

Alf- your Clash of the Titans reference makes you my hero

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've tried leaving them in at night (at least a week over the years) and taking them out religiously every night for a long time.  Nope, my mom took me to The Earring Tree in the Bangor Mall in 1981.  I was far from being a rebellious teen! ;)

woodie, that's so interesting - never would have thought.  Since last night was the first time I'd tried it, though...

Thanks for the contined ideas.  I really appreciate it - I know it's so NOT wedding related!

~kar

P.S.  Pinkie - we were posting at the same time, I guess.  It's so weird, isn't it?  I had given up, too, but these are a pair I really want to wear.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

kar- I gave up due to the nearly split lobe issue. If you were to feel my ears you would feel that while the skin is whole, the tissue under neath is completely split. My lobes no longer has the structure to support an earring.
    When my grandmother died I inherited her collection of clip-ons. DH couldn't get over how odd it was to see me with earrings on. I agreed. Having not worn any since I was 13 it just looks wrong to me.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yikes, Pinkkittie, I guess I shouldn't be complaining so much - that sounds awful.  I didn't know it could be so bad.  Clip ons give me a headache, by the way!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Can peroxide damage Rhodium?  And, I wonder if I'll have blonde wispies of hair that comes in contact with it, LOL!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

BTW, Kar, when you first got them done, if you turned one more than the other, they could be different sizes.  Or if you inadvertantly tugged on one or something.  It could happen. 

I remember how excited I was to get my ears pierced for the first time.  All the girls in my family had to wait until they were 13 (I have four older sisters).  However, when my oldest sister's wedding (look! On-topic!) was scheduled five months before my thirteenth birthday, I begged and begged and begged.  I evne bought and wore magnetic earrings to show my mom how nice and grown-up they looked.  I was so excited when she agreed (then I had to find piercing studs that were wedding appropriate, but ok for every day use).  Anyway, for some reason, years later, I decided that I absolutely *needed* a second hole.  Again, it was a huge deal.

Fast-forward. I wear the same two pairs every day.  I clean them, but almost never change them.  It's like my tattoo (also a huge deal at 19) - sometimes, I forget they're even there. 

I guess the point is just that it's funny how much less important things get over time.  However, since you got a pair you love, I wish you luck.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Epigal. Show Epigal's posts

I heard another idea recently - dip the posts of stud earrings a couple times in clear nail polish (and let dry) and it should make them non-reactive, and might help reduce irritation. Has anyone else heard of this? I don't know if I want those chemicals going in my ear...

Scorpio - I'm definitely going to start cleaning all my earrings more often!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Lucy, I can relate - it was such a huge deal when I got them pierced.  My friends in kindergarten had them, and my mom said that was "too young" and I had to wait 'til 3rd grade.  3 or 4 years is an eternity at that age - I was ready to burst!

Now is the first time I've really cared since I was about 13.

Epi, hm, is Rhodium reactive anyway?  Is it possible to be allergic to it?  I'd try the nail polish; I think once it's dry it's not going to add more toxins to your body than breathing does. LOL

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

what about just plain 'ol salt water? I know when I worked at Hot Topic we sold a brand of saline piercing wash for body piercings. You wouldn't believe some of the odd places people get pierced: necks, wrists, backs, chests...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Epsom salt? 

Eww...those are very uncomfortable sounding.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

here's a link about the solution, you just use sea salt

you're never supposed to use alcohol or peroxide on a body piercing, not sure why.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Really?  Oops...I went the peroxide route this afternoon.  This is so confounding!

Thanks for the link, pinkkittie. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Kar - if you do try to get them re-pierced make sure the person that pierces your ear knows what they are doing.  My cousin had issues with one of her ears and after having it pierced and re-pierced she ended up with a lot of scar tissue on the lobe.

Also, the ear that's giving you problems, is it the side you sleep on? That could be causing irritation.  You might want to try taking the earrings out when you lay down.