OT-Interview Thank you notes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

OT-Interview Thank you notes

Hey ladies,

So I had a second interview yesterday (!!!) for a job I really want. One of the people who interviewed me is someone who I wouldn't be working for but his job is related to the group I could be working for. They wanted a fresh set of eyes to get a prespective on me and the other person they are looking at. So, when it comes to the thank you note-what do I write? I don't feel it's appropriate to say "i think i'd make a great fit in your team" but I also want to write more than "thank you taking the time to meet with me". Help, please Smile

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

Re: OT-Interview Thank you notes

I always include “I think I would be a really great fit.”  That’s what they want to hear.  I also usually reference something I discussed with the person, that way if you interviewed with several people at one company, you aren’t writing the same thing to everyone.  It usually goes something like “I really enjoyed meeting you today.  After meeting you/the team, I am really excited about the prospect of working with Company A and I feel I would be a really great fit (sometimes I throw in a specific reason I’d be a good fit depending on the job).  I really enjoyed hearing your perspective on blahblablah.  Thanks again for your time and I look forward to speaking with you.

Good luck, hope you get it!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

thanks Leila!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I always add something about how interesting it was to hear their thoughts on X, or reference something they talked to you about.  Then explain how or why this makes you more interested in X company, that department, that project, etc.  And why you think you would be a great fit or would be a benefit to their company/department/project. 

Whatever you do, get the note out by the end of today, since the interview was yesterday. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

it's going in the mail today Alf and thanks for the tips. This helps a lot. Although most of our conversation was really about where we live (we live in the same area) and taking the trains to work in the morning lol.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal1124. Show mezzogal1124's posts

I went to a business etiquette lecture recently and one thing I learned was that, unfortunately, snail mail often sits in company mail rooms for a while before it is sorted at companies.  In the fast-paced hiring environment, you may want to send a quick email follow-up in addition to your thank you note (just very brief, thanking them, etc.).  That way, in case your paper note is delayed, your gratitude won't be.  GL!  I hope you get the job.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

Mezzogal, that's such a good point.  My DH and I were debating the pros/cons of email and paper notes, and neither of us thought of this.  Thanks!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

From an HR perspective, email is preferred. As Mezzogirl said, snail mail can take a few days to make it to my desk. Chances are, once received I will glance at the note/card, checking for spelling errors, grammatical errors etc, then just toss it in the trash.
    In 2011 email is totally acceptable.... so long as it doesn't come from an email address such as "raunchymama@hotmail" or similar!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ALF covered every single one of my thank you note suggestions!  So, I have absolutely nothing to add except to give a second to everything she said. 

Oh, and GL with the job, of course, too!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

That's actually really good to know. Depending on where I have read, they've said a handwritten note is a nice touch. If I have an email address I'll use it going forward. In my second interview I did see my thank you notes in their files so I know they are getting them in a timely manner (it's a smaller office @ 100 people). Just not sure why they were saved.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Good luck! The interview process is so nerve-wracking! I hope they realize they can't live without you!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from venforknot. Show venforknot's posts

Good Luck!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

thanks guys. I'd get back about 2-2.5hrs of my life back with this job since I'd just be commuting into South Station and walking 5 mins.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Northern, do you hear tomorrow?

I'm spamming the universe with good thoughts for you!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, Northern! 

I agree that, if it's a big company, an email is probably a better choice.   It's true that there is so little paper mail these days (in most industries) that there's no mail delivery system to individuals anymore at a lot of large companies I've worked for in the last 5 years or so. 

Nothing wrong with a paper note, except they probably won't receive it during the decision-making process.

If it's a small office, then no problem. 

Good luck!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

Any word Northern?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Yes, I was planning on waiting until everything was official but I'm about 75% sure I'm getting a formal offer at the end of this week. The woman I spoke with in HR this past Friday seemed to indicate they wanted to do my background check and talk to my reference before putting together something formal for me. When I do get that call, I think you'll all hear me shouting "woohoo!" from Quincy Wink.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Great news Northern, I hope you get that letter quickly.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

Awesome news! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Two weeks notice goes in tomorrow Laughing

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Hooray!!! Congratulations!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Congratulations Northern!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Congrats!!! So happy for you!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

Woohoo!  Congrats, Northern!  :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Awesome news! Good luck with giving your notice today! I was a bundle of nerves when I gave mine last week! Congratulations!

Sections
Shortcuts