OT - is English grammar dead?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

OT - is English grammar dead?

Boston dot com headline, "Health Bill Almost Done"

Am I the only one who cringes at the misuse of the word, 'done?'

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Re: OT - is English grammar dead?

LOL!  I love the websites that post pictures of funny mistakes in advertising and other print media.

Some big shot at our office, who is currently traveling in London, just sent an email to the entire Boston office that said "have fun tonite."  I really want to reply to all with "Is that how they spell tonight in Europe?"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm a stickler for grammar and raised by a grammar queen - my mom taught college English, and I have to say I'm not sure myself what the problem is.  However, it depends on what they mean.  I haven't kept up with the news on the health bill so don't know what they are intending.  Also, I cut journalists slack on headlines.  Sometimes they are not going for perfect grammar, they are going for a catchy headline to make people read the article.

Sorry - usually I'm right there on the perfect grammar bandwagon!

Best, AB!

~kar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Boston dot com's stories are always full of grammatical errors and typos.
    Did you see the article on the Korean food mart? It said "costumers" would enjoy browsing the ailses. It's like they fired all their editors.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Maybe they laid them all off after training their southern replacements.  Sigh, I guess that's really not that funny....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

In Response to Re: OT - is English grammar dead?:
    Boston dot com's stories are always full of grammatical errors and typos. Did you see the article on the Korean food mart? It said "costumers" would enjoy browsing the ailses. It's like they fired all their editors.
    Posted by pinkkittie27

I guess costumers would enjoy the food mart just as much as set decorators or even grips and gaffers....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Uggggg I read an article on here last week that said something along the lines of "Her and her husband went to the..."  Horrifying!!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Uggggg I read an article on here last week that said something along the lines of "Her and her husband went to the..."  Horrifying!!!!!
    Posted by framerican51008

Oh, my...there's NO excuse for that in professional journalism.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Maybe they laid them all off after training their southern replacements.  Sigh, I guess that's really not that funny....
    Posted by kargiver

It's kinda funny Sealed

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Ha!

Posted by kargiver

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

LOL AB!
    But I was really hoping to see a picture with people in masks shopping for groceries.

You've got to check out this website. I send bits from it to my old college professors all the time.
    http://probablybadnews.com/

In Response to Re: OT - is English grammar dead? : I guess costumers would enjoy the food mart just as much as set decorators or even grips and gaffers....
    Posted by downtoearth

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

According to Richard Castle, the English language was murdered on Monday night.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

as a friend of DH's from Baltimore (or Bahlmore, as they say) of says "I don' speak English. I speak 'merican."
    It's funny because it's true.

Posted by lucy7368

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

It may not be dead, but texting is certainly beating it senseless! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

It may not be dead, but texting is certainly beating it senseless! 
    Posted by cosmogirl

I LOATHE texting.  In fact, I anathamatize it.  The person who invented texting should be beaten to death with 1,000 pillows.

Also, it's a TOTAL SCAM.  Texting costs the cell phone companies NOTHING.  The more you pay, the more they are scamming you out of every month.

Ok.  Sorry.  Anyway.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I love texting. I can honestly say most of my texts are gramatically correct. I think abbreviations are okay, or should I say O.K.? ;) But I don't use them very often, except LOL or OMG.

I had a two-way pager long before I ever owned a cell phone. That's when texting was in its infancy, and so I mostly had to email people. DH was the only person I knew who I could text. Every single person who taunted me about texting back then is an avid texter now. I knew it would go mainstream sooner or later.

I just know that all my friends were on instant messanger before we were out of Junior High. People said the same thing about IMs then that they're saying about texting now, and the people I IM'd with still went on to be doctors or lawyers with a command of proper usage.

My cell phone even has spellcheck on texts. I think anything that keeps people interested in the written word is valuable, even if it's limited to 140 characters.

LOLSRSLYBBQKTHXBI

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

In Response to Re: OT - is English grammar dead? : I LOATHE texting.  In fact, I anathamatize it.  The person who invented texting should be beaten to death with 1,000 pillows. Also, it's a TOTAL SCAM.  Texting costs the cell phone companies NOTHING.  The more you pay, the more they are scamming you out of every month. Ok.  Sorry.  Anyway.
    Posted by lucy7368

Now I feel bad for texting you.  I almost texted you to say sorry.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Posted by lucy7368

LMAO!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

In Response to Re: OT - is English grammar dead? : I LOATHE texting.  In fact, I anathamatize it.  The person who invented texting should be beaten to death with 1,000 pillows. Also, it's a TOTAL SCAM.  Texting costs the cell phone companies NOTHING.  The more you pay, the more they are scamming you out of every month. Ok.  Sorry.  Anyway.
    Posted by lucy7368

Yeah, now I know why you IGNORE all of my lovely text messages :(

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Considering the amount of political pork our lawmakers put in  bills before passing them into law,   most are probably well described as done rather than as work completed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

In Response to Re: OT - is English grammar dead? : I guess costumers would enjoy the food mart just as much as set decorators or even grips and gaffers....
    Posted by downtoearth

If it were published in the Globe, that sentence would read:
    I guess costumers would enjoy the food mart just as mush as set decoraters or even grippes and gaffes.

Their editors were all let go years back.  Truly a disgrace.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

I just looked through the news section to read local news, and these 3 headlines were there:

23. School tells all parents their children are absent (AP, 3:42 p.m.)
  24. Man accused of using horse to assault officer (AP, 3:42 p.m.)
  25. NH orders Hooksett day care to close

26. Talking schools and a state which orders adjectives around -  neither is as impressive as the man who can lift a horse to use it as an assault weapon.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: OT - is English grammar dead? : Yeah, now I know why you IGNORE all of my lovely text messages :(
    Posted by lizinboston

No, that's because I usually forget to turn my phone off silent.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

Considering the amount of political pork our lawmakers put in  bills before passing them into law,   most are probably well described as done rather than as work completed.
    Posted by whatawagSBNy

lol

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Toffee. Show Toffee's posts

Posted by framerican51008

NO!  No it did not!  Really? 

• Sections
    Shortcuts