OT - Jon & Kate Plus 8

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

OT - Jon & Kate Plus 8

I like to watch the show, I was cruising on amazon.com looking for xmas gifts and saw their new book & a whole bunch of comments about how evil kate is & how their just exploiting their kids... what do you guys think?

I did see Kate on Say Yes to the Dress - buying an expensive wedding gown so they could go renew their vows in HI which I thought was on the brink of overexposure for their show.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

OT - Jon & Kate Plus 8

I love that show. I think people are upset because they started off as "struggling". Then the show became successful so now they are reaping some benefits. Or people offer them freebies and they accept.

I guess I'm prejudiced because I really like the show, but I'm not sure why people think the kids are "exploited". They seem to be very loving and caring parents. I'm sure there are a lot of things that J+K say "no", too.

I also like the fact that although they are very religious, you don't get any of that on the show.

Those shows are owned by the same network, so there'll be crossover wherever they can manage it.

I'm hoping someone buys me their book for Christmas. check out the cover of Good Housekeeping this month....it's a great picture of them, especially Aidan sitting in the lower rt. corner. Adorable.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

OT - Jon & Kate Plus 8

Did you guys see the episode where Kate and John talked all about how they met and their wedding and having the babies? I think it was in that episode where they said how grateful they are for all the freebies and how they are just a normal family who would never be able to afford all of those things if they weren't given freely. They seem pretty down to earth to me.

Oh and they also said they had no way of knowing that they would end up with sextuplets. It was only either the 4th or 14th time it had EVER happened in the USA (I forget). I guess they get a lot of critical letters from people saying they should have known what to expect since they did fertility treatments blah blah blah.

She can sound harsh sometimes, but I don't think she's so bad... I have certainly had times when I have nagged my fiance like that! Not as much as her though, I swear :o)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

OT - Jon & Kate Plus 8

I have heard of the show, but havent seen it. What is it about?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

OT - Jon & Kate Plus 8

I will admit that I don't watch the show. I've seen bits of it while waiting for What Not To Wear to come on, and from what I've seen, it's seems a little dumb. I'm sure it's hard to raise 8 kids who are all under the age of 6 or so [not sure of the exact ages]. I cannot imagine putting my own kids on TV and having a video crew in my house chronicling our adventures, but then again, I can't imagine having 8 kids. I don't think it's right that they are getting paid for the mere fact that they have 8 kids, and think it's ridiculous that they are being subsidized by people who are fascinated w/ the fact that they have so many kids. How is it real life? In real life, if you have that many kids, you aren't going to be living like they are; you are going to be living in a pigsty w/ hand-me-downs eating alot of Ramen noodles. I just don't get the show.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

OT - Jon & Kate Plus 8

It's a reality show on TLC about a couple that has a set of twins and a set of sextuplets. The twins are girls... not sure how old but maybe about 8? And the sextuplets are 3 girls/3 boys that are around 3.

I'm too lazy to find the web site to confirm that info :o)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

OT - Jon & Kate Plus 8

the sextuplets just turned 4 but other than that, you got the info right fra

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

OT - Jon & Kate Plus 8

When I started watching it - I liked it because their kids are really cute & Jon & Kate are rather realistic in the show - they definitely show their less than pretty side without seeming fake or dramatic.

Some people from what I read online had issues with the camera crews filming the kids while on the potty ... and filming too much of the kids lives to the point where they are more used to being around a camera crew than not.

People also are disturbed by Jon & Kate saying how its tough to take care of their family financially and then go get their teeth whitened, have a personal trainer, get free tummy tucks, go on trips to Hawaii, etc etc etc

Also too- people want to know why Jon & Kate's parents are not involved in their lives at all (which Jon & Kate have said is true)

Now that the show has a new episode each week people are bothered that these kids have turned into circus animals and that their best interests are not being put first.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

OT - Jon & Kate Plus 8

I will admit that I watch the show. I do have an issue with them doing teeth whitening etc, which by the way is most likely free. In addition the topic has not come up but am sure there is free colleget tuition somewhere in the equation that I don't think is right. Not sure why anyone would buy their book, boring.
    As far as infertililty the start of each program says they decided to have 1more. Well anyone who has done this and who has not knows that fertility drugs/procedures has a high rate of mulitiplies (not saying as high as 6).
    I think the show is over exposed now as someone mentioned but like a train wreck I keep watching.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

OT - Jon & Kate Plus 8

i remember kate saying how people will terminate some of the extra embryos (not sure how often that happens) but they wouldnt terminate b/c of their religion.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

OT - Jon & Kate Plus 8

they had sextuplets? Oh I could not even imagine giving birth to 6 kids like that, and then having 6 infants to take care of? wow!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

OT - Jon & Kate Plus 8

Missy,

you should see what her stomach looked like right before she gave birth...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Amarie978. Show Amarie978's posts

OT - Jon & Kate Plus 8

I'll admit, I liked the show in the beginning, when it was them just how they managed day to day life with 8 kids all under age 6 (at the time). It was interesting to watch that. Now, with all the product placement, I feel like I'm watching an infomercial - which, if I wanted to watch that, I'd turn on QVC.

I don't have a problem with them getting the freebies - most of us would agree if we were in their shoes, we'd probably take 'em too. Heck, if I had 6 kids at once, I'd jump at the chance for a free tummy tuck! Some viewers have issues with the following:
    • Before the show started, Kate was insisting that the state (PA) continue to pay for an at home nurse under their medicare law (I think) past the sextuplets 1st bday. This wasn't from a blog, I remember reading an actual PA newspaper article online not too long ago, and many people were upset that she thought tax dollars should go to the care of her kids when at least 1 parent was very capable of working. To paraphrase, Kate said, society approves of infertility treatments so they must help take care of all the children it produces.
    • Many people have claimed (not bloggers initially) that Jon and Kate cried destitute in the beginning when in reality they were sitting on quite a large sum of money given to them by a relative. They did receive a large outpouring of gifts, volunteers and donations when the 6 were born. Again, wish I had time to look for the links right now...
    • Aunt Jodi (Kate's sister in law) was unceremoniously taken out of their lives when TLC offered to pay her for the time she was actually on film doing stuff with the kids. Apparently Kate said, if anyone's making money off my kids, its going to be me.
    • While its not shown on the show, they visit churches all over for speaking engagements, and charge thousands (like $20k). On top of the speaking fee, they pass baskets around for "love offerings" and sell pictures of their kids for $20 each.
    A lot of what you read against J&K online winds up being petty analysis of their parenting and whatnot, but I wish they would just be more honest? Why would I listen to a woman complain about how hard life is when she's out there shopping for a $1.5 million house?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

OT - Jon & Kate Plus 8

The more I watch the show and hear stories the less I like Kate.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Amarie978. Show Amarie978's posts

OT - Jon & Kate Plus 8

Found it! (In case anyone cares...)

State asked to extend care for sextuplets
    Kate I. Gosselin says she would be unable to tend to the needs of the six 1-year-olds and their two 4-year-old sisters without the continued help of a nurse.

By Erin Negley
    Reading Eagle

Kate I. Gosselin pleaded Thursday for the state Department of Public Welfare to maintain funding for a nurse who helps care for her 1-year-old sextuplets.
    Gosselin of Wyomissing fears for the health of her family, which also includes 4-year-old twin daughters, if Medicaid cuts off payments for licensed practical nurse Angie S. Krall.

“She is my other set of medical eyes and ears,” Gosselin told Lisa Neeper, an administrative law judge, during a 90-minute hearing at the State Office Building in Reading.

The hearing was held after Gosselin and her husband, Jonathan K., appealed the Welfare Department's decision to end funding for the nurse.

The state wants to replace Krall with a home-health aide who would help care for the children part time for one month. The Gosselins then would be on their own.

Neeper said she would rule on the appeal by late July.

Kate Gosselin, who attended the hearing with her eight children and Krall, argued the family's case, while a medical consultant and caseworker appeared for the state.

The Welfare Department would not release names of the consultant or caseworker. The Reading Eagle was allowed to attend the hearing only because the Gosselins gave their approval.

Kate Gosselin is a registered nurse. But she said she's too busy caring for the sextuplets and twins and running a household to spend enough time with each child to spot all of their individual needs.

Jonathan Gosselin works in Harrisburg and is gone 12 hours a day.

Kate Gosselin wiped tears while saying that Krall has noticed diaper rashes, fevers and even pneumonia in the children.

If the switch to a home-health aide is made, Kate Gosselin fears she would need a long time to find the right worker.

In the meantime, she said, “It's me with eight children, which is not fair.”

Because the sextuplets were born about nine weeks early, Medicaid paid for Krall to spend 30 hours a week at the Gosselins' Wyomissing home.

The funding period ended April 30, but Krall will continue to assist the family until Neeper rules on the appeal.

The amount Medicaid has paid was unavailable, but Kate Gosselin has said it would cost about $25,000 to pay for Krall's services for another year.

The state's medical consultant testified that Krall bathes and feeds the infants, changes diapers and cleans their surroundings. A daily vitamin is the only medicine the infants take.

“I could find no medical need to have a skilled nurse in the house,” he said. “What the Gosselins need is someone to stay with mom and dad.”

While two of the sextuplets, Collin and Alexis, receive physical therapy through Easter Seals, the four other babies are progressing normally, the consultant said.

“My heart goes out to the Gosselins because I'm a father of three, but the medical necessity is lacking here,” he said. “What is needed are child-care workers.”

If the Gosselins don't agree with Neeper's ruling, they could appeal to Commonwealth Court or to the Department of Public Welfare secretary, said Thomas E. Cheffins, department director for the bureau of hearings and appeals.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

OT - Jon & Kate Plus 8

I really like the show and I dont feel they are exploiting their children at all. They attract a certain amount of attention anyways, being sextuplets and they have been invited on Oprah and other television shows before. Not to mention you cant take them out anywhere without people being interested.
    That being said, having 8 children is so expensive, especially on one salary. John and Kate saw a chance to provide for their family, buy a bigger house and maybe even save some money for college. Yes, now they get free vacations (including the one to Hawaii) but they could not do this without the show. I agree with their decision to make the best life possible for their children and the show is their avenue.
    They only film 1/2 the year and not everyday.

Also - Kate bought a sample dress at Kleinfields and was on a budget and I believe she had to buy it there because of her contract with TLC

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

OT - Jon & Kate Plus 8

I also appreciate that they don't seem to "self-censor" for the cameras...they snipe at each other, yell at the kids, get frustrated like anyone else would.

The "little kids" are so cute now. They won't be in a few more years so their popularity will be over and we'll be on to the next new thing. I still remember the "Dilley 6-pack" that Diane Sawyer used to do a special on every year.

At least it's better than Rock of Love Charm School!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

OT - Jon & Kate Plus 8

I think this is one of the most annoying shows! It drives me crazy how much Kate just belittle's John. I don't know how he takes it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sher. Show sher's posts

OT - Jon & Kate Plus 8

what i don't like is TLC calling it a 2 week "wedding" extravaganza! they're MARRIED! this is a vow renewal not a wedding!

i have seen the show but don;t watch regularly. the commercials for it are driving me nuts with the word "wedding" (ok not THAT nuts, but you guys all know what i mean!)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

OT - Jon & Kate Plus 8

I think it is completely hypocritical to say terminating some of these embryos in utero is against your religion. If you're that religious you shouldn't be having fertility treatments to begin with. You should leave it all up to God. Taking Clomid, having IVF, or IUI are not natural ways of conceiving. If one has decided to step over God's will then I think it's crazy to say - "well, we're going to have a litter of kids because God gave them to us." God did not such thing - you and your Doctor did that.
    She chose to have all those babies and she and her husband shouldn't be pimping them out on TV. They could have just stopped after the twins.
    And just how do two people "struggling with 8 children" have money to renew their vows in Hawaii?
    And please don't think I'm against fertility treatments - I'm all for it. Many of my friends had their babies thanks to the wonders of medical science. I also know that some of them became pregnant with 4 or more and terminated in utero in order to give twins (and in one case triplets) a better chance of reaching full term.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

OT - Jon & Kate Plus 8

I totally see your point Missy regarding the picking and choosing of religion as an excuse to support your actions.
    I am not particularly religious and will need fertility treatment at some point. My fiance and I have discussed "reduction" a term I hate, and I am definitely going to reduce if I get pregnant with that many children. The risks are way too high for premature birth and all those issues, lung development, fetal death, etc, not to mention my health trying to carry those babies.
    I am using technology to become pregnant and I will use that technology to have a healthy baby!

However, I just wanted to add all the trips they go on are totally free to them in exchange for the advertising on their show.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongirl831. Show bostongirl831's posts

OT - Jon & Kate Plus 8

Cosmo!!! Haha you crack me up - Rock of Love Charm School! :)

I understand how some may see it as exploiting their kids, but in all reality I think they are doing what they need to do to provide the best life they can for their family.

Think about the expense of 8 children - my god the food bill and diaper bill alone.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

OT - Jon & Kate Plus 8

[Quote]Cosmo!!! Haha you crack me up - Rock of Love Charm School! :)

I understand how some may see it as exploiting their kids, but in all reality I think they are doing what they need to do to provide the best life they can for their family.

Think about the expense of 8 children - my god the food bill and diaper bill alone.[/Quote]
    I can see your point, but if you can't afford 8 kids, you shouldn't have 8 kids.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

OT - Jon & Kate Plus 8

Not even the food bill, think about the cost of college by the time they get to that age!

Not to mention insuring 8 teenage drivers, braces, prom dresses and tuxes for all of them, all those school supplies, outfitting dorm rooms, new clothes!

I shudder

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongirl831. Show bostongirl831's posts

OT - Jon & Kate Plus 8

I totally see your point too, but come on I highly doubt she thought she was going to have six babies. I wonder what your reaction is too that... of course happy to be pregnant but GEEZE SIX kids. yikes.

Sections
Shortcuts