OT - MBTA shenanigans

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

OT - MBTA shenanigans

Yes there's a main thread, but who wants to talk to strangers about it. What do you guys think?

I know I think western MA needs to STFU and swallow the gas tax. Don't like helping to pay for infrastructure inside the 495 belt? Kindly remit all the tax dollars we contribute that you benefit from.

I bought my house in this hellhole of a city because it's a 10 min walk from the train. If the commuter rail stops running after 7p, that's only going to depress my house's value even more.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

Re: OT - MBTA shenanigans

I can't even believe that they're thinking about cutting service at night and on the weekends.  I thought they were trying to make money?  And let's encourage even more drunk driving.  It's already cheaper for me and a bunch of friends to pay for parking in the city at night, but we choose to ride the T, because it's safer.  Grrr.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

agreed, i've always thought we should opt for the gas tax raise than raise the mass pike tolls for those who live North of the city. I don't think it's fair they pay all of the burden because they chose to live their or in some cases had to because of a job. We all use gas and all use the other roads in MA, so gas tax it is. Of course I say this now becaue I drive my car about once or twice a week right now. When we move it'll be 40-45 miles one way each weekday. and cutting late night service is nuts, it's safer than DDing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

The MBTA needs to start spending within its means. Have you looked at the payroll posted on the herald? I can post the link for anyone who wants to see it. Salaries are beyond out of control.  If any entity does not have the money coming in, they can not spend as if they do. Raising ticket fares and gas taxes and demanding money from the state is not the way to go. If thsi happens, the MBTA will continue to spend beyond its means, and never get out of this hole.

The MBTA's officials need to be let go, a new company needs to take over and revamp the transit system. That is the only way anything will ever change.

Do you really think if they increase the gas tax, or receive millions from the state, or raise ticket fares, that suddenly the MBTA will be out of the hole? Nope. Look at how many times in the past 5 years they have raised fares, and yet they claim to be in an even deeper hole.

We should not be rewarding companies that have no concept of money management.

Give the transit system to another company to run.

And yes, this is coming from an MBTA rider. I pay a fortune for the commuter rail. for lousy service, trains that break down, my parking just doubled from $2 a day to $4 a day. The whole thing is a joke. To give them more money will make the problem worse.

People need to be held accountable. If you cannot run your business so that it makes a profit, you lose your business, your contracts and usually your job. This needs to apply here! Think about it, if you suck at your job, your boss will fire you. Well, the MBTA should lose the contract for our transit system. They suck. And the GM making his threats to cut service if they dont get a bailout just shows what a joke the MBTA is. How immature is that? How about you take a look at your revenue, your expenses, and adjust expenses that are UNNECESSARY!!! Like paying people way too much, paying people a pension plus a salary, etc...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

The MBTA could make a lot of money if they charged people who ride the commuter rail.  A lot of people who ride during rush hour have figured out that a ten ride pass can easily last 20 rides or more, so they don't bother to buy the monthly passes.  I know that, when I was living in the MetroWest area, I only rode about once a month, and I was asked to pay about 25% of the time. And I had a friend living in WESTON, who could easily afford to pay, but figured that, since no one else had to, there was no reason she should buy a monthly pass, either.

I also think they would make money if they had turnstyles at the above-ground stops on the Green line, instead of trusting that all the people who get on at the rear doors pay. 

I know I've mentioned this before, but it drives me crazy, because it's so inefficient.  In a town with as many (broke) college students as we have, you shouldn't place the solvency of your business on other people's ability to be honest.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I pay a fortune for the commuter rail. for lousy service, trains that break down, my parking just doubled from $2 a day to $4 a day.
    Posted by Missy509

That's another thing - people would just cram into the MBTA lot, stopping their cars anywhere and not paying.  There were mornings when I would come in and find ten cars "parked" around the edges of the lot (where there are no marked spaces), and half the lot would be empty.  And it was months before I started seeing those people actually get ticketed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

And you think that 2 or 3 college kids per green line train and 4 or 5 cars per lot equals $175million a year?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

And you think that 2 or 3 college kids per green line train and 4 or 5 cars per lot equals $175million a year?
    Posted by helphelpImbeingrepressed

6 cars per day times $2 per car time 260 working days per year = $3,120.  That's just for one lot.  I'm sure there are others.

There are probably an average of 100 kids per month who ride without paying at various times.  So, that's 100 times $1.70 times 12 = $2,040.

On the commuter rail,
    25 people per day (a low estimate) times $6.50 one-way times 260 working days a year = $42,250.  That's only for the Framingham/Worcester line.  So - how many lines are there?  Twelve?  So, $507k per year.

I'm just saying, it adds up - especially because those are low estimates.  It's not like these are new developments.  All things considered, one would think that's half a million a year the MBTA would want. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

That is another excellent point Lucy! Whenever my commuter rail is overcrowded, they never attempt to collect tickets. In a way, it is almost impossible for the conductors to get through all the crowds of people standing in the aisles. Sometimes it is sooo packed! I cant blame them. The MBTA needs to come up with a way to make sure all fares are collected. Tons of lost revenue also doesnt help.

The MBTA needs to be revamped entirely. Way too many inefficiencies going on. And to just ask for a handout before even fixing this stuff? Is a joke to me and I hope to God the state does not grant their wish.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

try riding the over crowded commuter rail where a monthly pass for zone 8 is almost $300/month. round trip ticket per day costs more than $15. watch just how often tickets are actually collected. more often than not, they are not collected. yes, that does add up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbilodeau. Show dbilodeau's posts

It's infuriating.  I was waiting at the DT Crossing T stop for a friend a few weeks ago...I waited for about 10 mins and watched at least 25 kids go through the turnstiles without paying.  And the whole time the MBTA worker sitting the her booth watched and did nothing.  And it really pisses me off when I see them sleeping in their booths...I wish I got paid a nice salary to sleep on the job.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

6 cars per day times $2 per car time 260 working days per year = $3,120.  That's just for one lot.  I'm sure there are others. There are probably an average of 100 kids per month who ride without paying at various times.  So, that's 100 times $1.70 times 12 = $2,040. On the commuter rail, 25 people per day (a low estimate) times $6.50 one-way times 260 working days a year = $42,250.  That's only for the Framingham/Worcester line.  So - how many lines are there?  Twelve?  So, $507k per year. I'm just saying, it adds up - especially because those are low estimates.  It's not like these are new developments.  All things considered, one would think that's half a million a year the MBTA would want. 
    Posted by lucy7368

and on top of that, you have the riciculous salaries that the MBTA can obviously not afford. plus paying someone a pension WHILE paying them a regular salary?

here are the salaries. an accounting clerk making $103k????? accounting clerks normally make in the 30k range. Accountants make 40k plus and CPAs are the ones making over $100k. give me a break. I got up to page 19 and salaries were STILL over 100k!

http://www.bostonherald.com/projects/mbta/wages.DESC//1/

now you tell me how it is justified that these people are all making what they are making. My tax dollars should NOT be increasing for this sh!!it

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

It's infuriating.  I was waiting at the DT Crossing T stop for a friend a few weeks ago...I waited for about 10 mins and watched at least 25 kids go through the turnstiles without paying.  And the whole time the MBTA worker sitting the her booth watched and did nothing.  And it really pisses me off when I see them sleeping in their booths...I wish I got paid a nice salary to sleep on the job.
    Posted by dbilodeau

check out what they are getting paid to sleep!!

http://www.bostonherald.com/projects/mbta/wages.DESC//1/

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

check out what they are getting paid to sleep!! http://www.bostonherald.com/projects/mbta/wages.DESC//1/
    Posted by Missy509

I'm pretty good at sleeping.  Do you think they're hiring?  ;)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

I'm pretty good at sleeping.  Do you think they're hiring?  ;)
    Posted by lucy7368

Money seems to be no object to them. Let's apply. Maybe $150k to work 20 hours a week reading a magazine at a ticket booth. :) Works for me. Plus I know the union will get me a good raise the following year!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

The MBTA needs more money. Anyone who thinks mere reorganization is going to find $175million a year is out of her gourd.

Fare evasion and a handful of parked cars are a drop in the bucket.

Debt service and obscene contracts are the lion's share. The latter can eventually be renegotiated, though you can be sure no union will ever take a pay cut, but the former needs to just be paid.

They need to fix their obscene pension program - and they need a pension since public sector employees can't collect SS - and they need a gas tax increase.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

I don't belive for one minute that the revenue from a gas tax increase would go to anything useful.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

The MBTA needs more money. Anyone who thinks mere reorganization is going to find $175million a year is out of her gourd. Fare evasion and a handful of parked cars are a drop in the bucket. Debt service and obscene contracts are the lion's share. The latter can eventually be renegotiated, though you can be sure no union will ever take a pay cut, but the former needs to just be paid. They need to fix their obscene pension program - and they need a pension since public sector employees can't collect SS - and they need a gas tax increase.

Yes, fare evasion is a huge deal. You obviously dont see just how many tickets a day are not collected. At $7 a pop, it adds up times all the people times all the train lines times all the days in a year. It is not rocket science.

And Mass had a chance to not use the mbta several years ago. When the contract went up for bid, the same company that runs the NJ transit system bid on it, lower than the MBTAs bid, and Mass rejected it.

The MBTA does not have to have our contract. They can be fired and a new company brought in.

Any company that pays their employees salaries higher than their revenues is inefficient.  if you spend more than you bring in, thats your problem and you will go under.

If not fired, the mbta needs to start making sure they collect all fares from everyone who uses the trains, and cut their spending. Cutting salaries and or layoffs is a must for these overpaid people. Again I say an accounting clerk at 103k?? Accounting clerks are paid in the 30ks, accountants 40k plus, and cpas at over 100k.

I will be damned if it costs me more money at the pump to fund a company that cannot manage its own money and is so filled with greed that they have such ridiculous salaries.

It is also not fair for people to pay a higher gas tax for a transit system that supports ONE CITY in the state. Boston is one city people work in, one city people live in. Unless you live in or work in Boston, the transit system does not benefit people. There are lots of people who work in the city, but there are lots more who work all over the rest of the state.

Fire the MBTA.

And what kind of business manager cries to the state ' give me money or else'? Try doing your job as swipe and examine your financial statements. What is your 103k/yr accountant doing?? Nothing?? Surprise surprise..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

The MBTA needs more money. Anyone who thinks mere reorganization is going to find $175million a year is out of her gourd.

You are out of your gourd if you think for one minute that the money from the gas tax increase is going to fix their problem. Do you really think they will pay off their debts and manage their money better? No. They will continue to spend spend spend and then cry for more money again. How many times have they raised the fares in the past five years?? It used to cost me $10 round trip per day. Now it is $15. And they are claiming to be in worse shape today, with higher fares and more riders than they were 5 years ago. Give me a break.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I just don't understand why the first things they want to cut is weekend and week night service and customer service agents at every station.
    Granted, cutting rush-hour service would be worse, but I happen to enjoy taking the commuter rail on the weekends to see friends or family. It just makes more sense than forking over all kinds of toll money to the Turnpike Authority, who I find to be WAY waorse than the MBTA.
    It seems like with the rising toll fares and the MBTA threatening to cut down on commuter rail service that they're holding Boston residents prisoner! They're making it so expensive to leave the city on weekends!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

I just don't understand why the first things they want to cut is weekend and week night service and customer service agents at every station. Granted, cutting rush-hour service would be worse, but I happen to enjoy taking the commuter rail on the weekends to see friends or family. It just makes more sense than forking over all kinds of toll money to the Turnpike Authority, who I find to be WAY waorse than the MBTA. It seems like with the rising toll fares and the MBTA threatening to cut down on commuter rail service that they're holding Boston residents prisoner! They're making it so expensive to leave the city on weekends!
    Posted by pinkkittie18

I dont think they do intend to cut these services. They are making threats to the state for money so that they can keep their large salaries and not have to do their job and actually do a debt to income ratio and analyze their excessive spending in comparison to the revenue coming in, hoping the state is dumb enough to fall for it.

I hope to god the state does not give them a dime.

And yes, even without the recent threats to cut service they do hold the city hostage. Fares are so high, service is so lousy, but its a monopoly and if you dont have a car, you have no other option but to pay that high fare. It is ridiculous.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

Both the Turnpike Authority and the the MBTA need to re-oraganize and come to new terms for the workers.  Unions ahhh I love 'em and hate 'em in this state.  Quite frankly the writing has been on the wall for years that these salaries and pensions are not sustainable yet they refuse to make concessions.  There are some important aspects to unions but when they get on their high horse and complain about wages etc it drives me bonkers.

People do take pay cuts at their jobs.  I just did because we didn't get a raise this year not even a COLA so effectively I took a pay cut.  People in the private sector do it all the time.  It sucks but it is a fact of life.

They need major reform in contracts, salary and pensions.  And yes probably even some increase either in a gas tax (which I loath) or a fare increase.  BUT in order for them (Pike and MBTA) to have any type of faith restored in them they need to reform before the increase to show some good faith effort.

It is cr@p because I don't use the Pike nor the MBTA all that often.  I can go to museums just fine in Lowell, and sporting events etc.  Sure it isn't major league but it is good fun and I can do it more often because the prices are so much more reasonable.  But I will end up paying via the gas tax, I just like to know my money is not in the toilet.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

They are in the process of a reorganization of the Transportation system.  They will create a new authority Mass Surface Transportation Authority.  The Turnpike Authority will be eliminated and the MBTA will now fall under the structure. 

It is a similar model of the New York Transportation system. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

What it's too bad that they can't fire everyone working there right now, and hire qualified folks who are probably out of work currently, and pay them a reasonable wage.
    That would be my solution, but then again, the people working there have families to support. It's easy to say "just fire them" when you don't know these people.

The toll-taker salaries is what I don't get. Why do they make $60k? It's not a skilled task. The people working the register at McDonald's do the same thing, only they make minimum wage.
    I respect the Turnpike and MBTA's desire to pay their employees a living wage, but $60k to put your hand out the window and take change is ridiculous!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

They need more cash AND to cut out all of the overspending. If they don't do both, nothing is going to happen. Kick salaries back to realistic numbers, catch fare evaders, actually punch tickets on the commuter rail, and legalize that bloody gas tax. I'd rather pay that than ~$8 every time I want to leave my house to go somewhere.

In the meantime, if Dan Grabauskas could go away and take that idiot Deval Patrick with him, that'd be great.

Sections
Shortcuts