OT - Rate your GPS?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

OT - Rate your GPS?

DH wants to get a GPS.  If you have one, tell me what kind it is and what you like or don't like about it.  If you have the model no., that would be really helpful.

P.S.  If anyone has upgraded and is looking to get rid of her old one, let me know! 

Thanks as always! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Re: OT - Rate your GPS?

We have the Tom Tom GPS, and it's wonderful.  I love it.  We have the model, which is about 3 years old (so it's a big bulky), but it's really wonderful. 

I love how you can change the voices, too!  But, that's true of most of the GPS systems.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

We have a Garmin... I can't remember the model number but could ask DH.  I like it very much.  It does not announce actual street names you're turning onto - so if you want that, don't go with this model.  A friend of ours has one that does say street names and whenever she's on Storrow Dr. the GPS lady calls it, "Storrow Doctor," heehee. 

We have it on the British accent. :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

We have a Garmin. We like it, it's never given us wrong directions.
    We have one of the lower-end models, so it doesn't voice actual street names, just says turn right, turn left, take exit.
    We bought it because DH is a wine rep and has to drive around to stores all over the place, so he uses it to get to the places he hasn't been before and to find gas stations and things like that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Also, i would highly recommend this type of product instead of a suction-cup holder: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Portable-Dashboard-StreetPilot-Navigators/dp/B000LRMS66/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1254240890&sr=8-1. It's awesome. (i can't seem to post a picture of it)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

We have the Garmin Nuvi 360 and it was one of the best purchases we ever made!  I went on amazon and they had a chart in the description for the Garmins that told you what the difference was between each model.  I bought the middle level model because it announces the street names, which is really helpful.  It was about $250 I think, but they should have come down in price by now (that was last summer).  I find the Garmins really easy to use and intuitive (though I haven't used too many other ones).  I also like that this one is small, so it fits in my purse or FI's pocket when we go on vacation or are walking around a new city.  The only thing I don't like is that sometimes it takes a while to find the satellites.  Not sure if others are faster.

Good luck!

PS.  We also bought a friction mount for it.  That is nice because it just sits on the dashbaord (and stays there by friction, hence the name), so you can easily move it from car to car and hide it in the trunk when you are parked somewhere public.  The suction cup mounts are a target for theives, even if you remove the unit, I've heard people will break the window to check the glove compartment for it.

ETA: Heather, you beat me to it!  That's the friction mount.  :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

My sister, my Mom, my aunt and my FIL all have various Garmins (ie differnt models) and they all love them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Excellent post, cosmo!  We are moving out of state and I really really want to get one too.  We used one down in DC when we were looking for places and it was a godsend.  I'll def. save this thread!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

we use the suction cup mount, we just take it off the windsheild and put in the trunk when we get out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

In Response to Re: OT - Rate your GPS?:
    [QUOTE]The only thing I don't like is that sometimes it takes a while to find the satellites.  Posted by trex509[/QUOTE]

Trex - same issue with our Garmin.  The amount of time it takes to "find" the satellites *seems* to correlate to the number of buildings and trees that are around (?).  It's the only thing I don't like about it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

yeah, same with our Garmin.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OT - Rate your GPS? : Trex - same issue with our Garmin.  The amount of time it takes to "find" the satellites *seems* to correlate to the number of buildings and trees that are around (?).  It's the only thing I don't like about it.
    Posted by heatherv1211[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from booklover. Show booklover's posts

We just bought a Garmin in August and LOVE it.  I don't know the model # but it cost around $120.  It does not announce street names but you can see the street right on it.  We have the suction cup but when we take it off, we wipe the mark off so you can't tell it was on the window.  I heard that that was a target for thieves.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

My two roommates and I have three different types of GPS (and my SO has a fourth).  Honestly, the one that comes in the Acura is the best, but I don't think that's helpful.  :)

I really like the Garmin, especially because of the dashboard mount.  I have this off-brand that my mom bought because it was on-sale, and it works well enough.  The only problem I have is getting it to understand that I went off-route because I had a problem with its directions, not because I am lost.  It takes awhile to reroute sometimes.  Mine also has these weird, unnecessary features, like you can use it to store photos.  I'd have to check the brand, though.

Just another note:  be sure to update the software.  I was riding back from the Cape with one of my roommates, and her GPS insisted that we needed to turn left.  Unfortunately, the only thing to the left was a Burger King.  It kept telling us to turn around, it was nearly midnight, and it was a big mess...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I have the Garmin Nuvi 205 which is the cheaper model.  It doesn't announce street names but I haven't had a problem with that so far.  My only complaint is that it does have some difficulty with the "new" construction in Boston.  I got it last year for Christmas and apparently the maps weren't updated with some of the changes made around the 93N - exit 20 - South Station area.  I should try updating it but for now it gets the job done.  Also I love that it has a "Detour" button.  This came in very handy when FI and I were driving on a road that was closed due to an accident!

Good luck picking one out!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Cosmo, looks like you got several to choose from. Did you check Consumer Reports? They will list most models and tell you all the pros and cons.
    I have a factory installed one in my car - so I can' t help you with a model and such. I just wanted to tell you, that I would not worry about not having the street names announced. Too much talk can be confusing. On most units you can clearly see the streets on the map. Short concise directions is best while driving.
    I love mine and don't know, what I would do w/o it now. I think it should be a standard equipment in all new cars.

In Response to OT - Rate your GPS?:
    [QUOTE]DH wants to get a GPS.  If you have one, tell me what kind it is and what you like or don't like about it.  If you have the model no., that would be really helpful. P.S.  If anyone has upgraded and is looking to get rid of her old one, let me know!  Thanks as always! 
    Posted by cosmogirl[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I looked it up.  Mine's a Nextar.  It works well enough.  However, I have developed a habit of pronoucing street names the way it does, which has the side effect of sometimes making me sound like I don't know what I'm talking about.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We have a Garmin Nuvi that replaced a Cobra.  I've also used a Magellan (sp?) in a rental.

The Cobra beats them all hands down.  The old one we had was difficult to enter data, but it's directions were 99% flawless, and the turns were identified well enough in advance to make the turn and know which turn for sure it was talking about.  The newer ones are touch screen so they have no drawbacks as far as I know.  I have to say, though, that's assuming they kept everything about the internal workings of the navigation system the same.  I can't imagine they messed with perfection.

The Magellan stunk.  It was too late on the draw with the next turn.  It also calculated the distance to the next turn wrong.  So, I kept having to take the next exit and turn around on the highway having picked the wrong entrance/direction.  SO IRRITATING.

The Garmin is OK, but it doesn't seem to understand that you can turn LEFT into destinations.  Instead, it almost always tells you to pass it and make a U-turn.  I figured this out and compensate by turning left, of course.  Not a big deal.  But, my parents have one in Altoona, PA, and it oftentimes cannot find the town or street address.  They also had a Cobra before this and it found everything you were looking for.  I have also noticed it doesn't know about everything like the Cobra did, but in this area it doesn't seem to have as much difficulty.  I like the touch screen and data entry, but when you enter a city for a point of interest, it makes you scroll through all the cities of that name in the US.

The Cobra allowed you to detour in a couple of ways.  You could detour by choosing "avoid current road" or "avoid future road."  The Garmin just has "Detour" which gets you off the current road.  Not always what you want, but workable.

Cobra made CBs, by the way, and have been in the travel communication business for decades.  It shows in the GPS units.  I highly recommend the Cobra even though it's not well known.  They don't advertise for some reason.

Cobra NAV ONE is the model I had, but these are the next generation.  I wish I'd gotten this over the Garmin.  They are nice big screens, too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I have to add that if I'd gotten the Garmin first, I'd have raved about it.  It's just that the Cobra did everything so much better that my parents actually hate their Garmin.  I think it's OK...I don't hate it.  They are always commenting about this or that that the Cobra did better.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]The Magellan stunk.  It was too late on the draw with the next turn.  It also calculated the distance to the next turn wrong.  So, I kept having to take the next exit and turn around on the highway having picked the wrong entrance/direction.  SO IRRITATING.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Now that you mention it, the Magellan is what my roommate has.  The one that insisted that we needed to drive through the Burger King.  But she doesn't really like it.

The one time I tried to use it, I had a lot of problems.  Mostly because every time we approached a turn, she would grab it and scream "It's lying!  Don't turn there!"  So, I drove past virtually every turn until I told her that if she didn't shut up I was going to leave her by the side of the road in Hingham (nowhere near our apartment).  So, if you're schzophrenic, you might want to steer clear...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OT - Rate your GPS? : Now that you mention it, the Magellan is what my roommate has.  The one that insisted that we needed to drive through the Burger King.  But she doesn't really like it. The one time I tried to use it, I had a lot of problems.  Mostly because every time we approached a turn, she would grab it and scream "It's lying!  Don't turn there!"  So, I drove past virtually every turn until I told her that if she didn't shut up I was going to leave her by the side of the road in Hingham (nowhere near our apartment).  So, if you're schzophrenic, you might want to steer clear...
    Posted by lucy7368[/QUOTE]

Yup, it got me into a VERY bad part of town on a business trip (Hertz rentals uses it).  I was wandering around a run down area looking for an Army base.  I could have been killed. 

Cobra!  Cobra!  Cobra!  (banging fists on keyboard) Wink

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Lucy:  hahaaha!  Picturing your roommate in my head has made my day.  Too funny!!

I love our Garmin!

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OT - Rate your GPS? : Now that you mention it, the Magellan is what my roommate has.  The one that insisted that we needed to drive through the Burger King.  But she doesn't really like it. The one time I tried to use it, I had a lot of problems.  Mostly because every time we approached a turn, she would grab it and scream "It's lying!  Don't turn there!"  So, I drove past virtually every turn until I told her that if she didn't shut up I was going to leave her by the side of the road in Hingham (nowhere near our apartment).  So, if you're schzophrenic, you might want to steer clear...
    Posted by lucy7368[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrssamiam. Show mrssamiam's posts

I have the Garmin Nuvi 255W (this one speaks street names and pronunication as pretty darned good) and LOVE it!

I took it Baltmore this past weekend and used in in totally unfamilar territory. Not only did it get us everywhere we needed to go easily, but the added bonus of telling it we wanted to to find a Starbucks, TJ Maxx, a grocery store, and Old Navy was fabulous. It even brought us to a great bakery in Little Italy and we were walking with it rather than driving! 

I paid $159 for it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Don't you Garmin fans find that it makes you do a lot of U-Turns?  What about the detour feature - have you used that and like it?  It only gets you off the current road, not a road up ahead you happen to know is closed.  And, do you find that it finds every single address you enter?  Every city/town in your state?

How is it possible that me and my parents are the only ones who have these issues with it?  I truly believe it's because we all used the Cobra before we got the Garmin that makes us less than thrilled with the Garmin.

I'm curious - have you used other brands before, or is Garmin the only GPS you're familiar with?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

[QUOTE]Don't you Garmin fans find that it makes you do a lot of U-Turns?  What about the detour feature - have you used that and like it?  It only gets you off the current road, not a road up ahead you happen to know is closed.  And, do you find that it finds every single address you enter?  Every city/town in your state? How is it possible that me and my parents are the only ones who have these issues with it?  I truly believe it's because we all used the Cobra before we got the Garmin that makes us less than thrilled with the Garmin. I'm curious - have you used other brands before, or is Garmin the only GPS you're familiar with?  
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]
    My parents use the detour on their Garmin but only when they are getting off the highway.  As they headed up north to visit me they heard on the CB (a favorite past time) about a highway closure due to contruction plus an accident.  They got off the highway and hit detour and it took them along some side ways and old two lane highways and around the the closure and back onto the highway.  Sure the detour was out of their way and slower than a highway but infinately less frustrating that just sitting there.

They have not said anything about it causing them to make a lot of U turns.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I have a Magellan and I really like it. We had bottom-model Garmin before that and it wasn't that great (but this was about 3 years ago, or 700 years ago in technology time).

The only thing with the Magellan is that it can take a little while to recalculate. Of, and at night it feels compelled to have a black background and white streets, which annoys me because I think it's harder to see.

Just remember to ALWAYS take it off your dashboard. The reason we got our Magellan is that DH left the Garmin on the windshield one and someone smashed his car window  (in our driveway when we lived in Belmont!!) and stole it, then did a hack job of stealing the stereo as well.

Sections
Shortcuts