OT- Swine Flu

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

OT- Swine Flu

So. Piggie flu. Everybody having fun panicking?

$10 someone in your office is bathing in Purell and using Lysol for deodorant. $20 that person comes down with MRSA.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: OT- Swine Flu

I know...gosh, there are so many strains of flu and I don't know how many people have it any any given time, but plenty I'm sure.  I've never seen anything so hyped.

My DH is buying into it somewhat.  He's traveling to TX on business soon and is concerned. I told him he's a 45 year old healthy man who's had the flu before...it'll be OK.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Yesterday my officemate started Fantastik-ing his desk, purel-ing his hands, and generally delousing our whole office. He was freaking me out, so I took everything off my desk  and scrubbed down the whole thing too (that was long overdue anyway, particularly because when I was a out for a few days in December he thought it'd be funny to glue a bunch of stuff to my desk. And it was, but it left a ton of gluey residue!).

As we were scrubbing down the place, our boss and coworkers came in to make fun of us and take pictures.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I've had it with the swine flu reports. I wish all media had an "ignore" button I could push so I wouldn't have to hear about it.
    Throwing the word "pandemic" around for something that hasn't even become as widespread as the regular flu is irresponsible. It's also irresponsible for the media to attribute deaths related to swine flu as "death by swine flu", a lot of these people died due to complications that arose with pre-existing conditions when they got the swine flu- swine flu didn't kill them, it was just the straw that broke the camel's back.
    Thousands of people die of the flu every year. It s*cks, it's tragic, it's sad. This is no different.

What they're not emphaiszing is that all those who have swine flu can be directly link to exposure in Mexico. Because no one's had this virus before it means no one is a "carrier" there's no one walking around asymptomatic spreading it. Everyone who has it is sick. Stay away from people with the flu. If you have flu, stay home, stay hydrated, take medication to alieve your fever. Pretty simple.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from somethingold. Show somethingold's posts

Whirled Peas - you gonna euthanize your guinea pig just in case....sick joke I know - but that got me thinking if there was a "dog flu" do you think anybody would put down their dog like they are putting down the all the pigs in some counties?

So. Piggie flu. Everybody having fun panicking? $10 someone in your office is bathing in Purell and using Lysol for deodorant. $20 that person comes down with MRSA.
    Posted by helphelpImbeingrepressed

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I don't know why they think having piles of diseased dead pigs is better than having live diseased pigs. If treated the live pigs will get over the flu.
    Diseased pig blood filling the gutters and contaminating the water will only make things worse.

Whirled Peas - you gonna euthanize your guinea pig just in case....sick joke I know - but that got me thinking if there was a "dog flu" do you think anybody would put down their dog like they are putting down the all the pigs in some counties?
    Posted by somethingold

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jag27. Show jag27's posts

I've had it with the swine flu reports. I wish all media had an "ignore" button I could push so I wouldn't have to hear about it. Throwing the word "pandemic" around for something that hasn't even become as widespread as the regular flu is irresponsible. It's also irresponsible for the media to attribute deaths related to swine flu as "death by swine flu", a lot of these people died due to complications that arose with pre-existing conditions when they got the swine flu- swine flu didn't kill them, it was just the straw that broke the camel's back. Thousands of people die of the flu every year. It s*cks, it's tragic, it's sad. This is no different. What they're not emphaiszing is that all those who have swine flu can be directly link to exposure in Mexico. Because no one's had this virus before it means no one is a "carrier" there's no one walking around asymptomatic spreading it. Everyone who has it is sick. Stay away from people with the flu. If you have flu, stay home, stay hydrated, take medication to alieve your fever. Pretty simple.
    Posted by pinkkittie18

Pinkkittie - I complete agree with you!  I think it is the media that is putting everyone in a panic about this swine flu.  It's the flu!  So it went from pig to human, but this isn't the first time a flu from an animal was contracted by a human!  Just stay out of Mexico, stay away from people with the flu, and if you have flu like symptoms, stay home and call your doctor!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Posted by somethingold

Aw, he's okay. He hasn't been to Mexico in awhile and he's not that kind of piggie.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

Gee, I hope there is never a beagle flu! lol

FI and I are still heading to Mexico on our honeymoon, unless the borders close! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

I think it has been identified in 11 countries so that it does qualify as a pandemic, which means global.  The word is used to describe the vastness of where the illness is not its severity.  And most people hear the word and thing it means the second coming of the plague, which fuels panic and we all know that the media all love a good panic it is good for the ratings.

That said about once a quarter I do happen to do a pretty good cleaning on my desk and keyboard at work because I eat at my desk and the cleaning staff are not required to clean desks.  So I was planning on doing my desk in the next week or so when I had a slow day but this hysteria is not going to make me stop work just to get the cleaning done. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Actually, the definition of pandemic is "Epidemic over a wide geographical area and affecting a large proportion of the population. "

Swine flu is not affecting a large proportion of the population over a large geographical area. There is a risk of it becoming a pandemic, but it is not one yet. Epidemic, perhaps, pandemic, no.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

We had a follow up yesterday w/the oncology team & were looking forward to some dire warnings re:the wedding & post wedding travel.  FI still has a pretty surpressed immune system (he was 6 months post transplant on Tuesday). 

The docs are the least worried of anyone over this.   They said to: avoid sick people, wash your hands and stay rested/hydrated.  Common sense stuff.  That & a mask/gloves on the plane, but we knew that was coming anyway.  Nothing to worry about, no more than any other infection that's lurking around out there.  Stupid media!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, I'm actually watching The Doctors right this minute, and they are saying the same thing.  They said that this strain may be new, but it's very similar to all the flus.

They are recommending "non-essential" trips to Mexico be reconsidered not necessarily cancelled.  He even just mentioned two friends of his who are getting married there in two weeks and are "freaked out," but I don't think they are cancelling.  There's a woman who works for the show who is at her personal doctor right now getting advice on her trip to Mexico tomorrow. He said hand washing and avoiding sick looking people are key (he acknowledged the obviousness here).  He also said that if you want a mask, get a surgical grade one from a medical supply company, not a mask from the drugstore.  The square surgical masks ones are for protection of other people around you (for instance the surgeon who wouldn't want to cough into an open chest cavity).  The N-95 (cup style over nose and mouth fitting tightly against the face) keeps out 95% of particles (of what size he didn't say) and that's what he wears in the ER when he's working a contagious disease problem.

The biggest way to avoid getting sick, according to the wrap up here, is to avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with your hands between hand washings.  You won't get the flu from it being on your hands unless you give it a way in.

"Doctor's Orders" - Simply, don't panic!

And, the Eucerin "what you need to know" clip - Are you slouching right now?  Sit up straight!  Slouching can cause degeneration of the muscles you should be using for supporting your frame and strain the ones that aren't meant for that job.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ariel81916. Show Ariel81916's posts

He also said that if you want a mask, get a surgical grade one from a medical supply company, not a mask from the drugstore.  The square surgical masks ones are for protection of other people around you (for instance the surgeon who wouldn't want to cough into an open chest cavity).  The N-95 (cup style over nose and mouth fitting tightly against the face) keeps out 95% of particles (of what size he didn't say) and that's what he wears in the ER when he's working a contagious disease problem.

Just an FYI, the N-95 respirators are not designed for everyone - you should be trained how to use them and tested to make sure you are well enough to wear them. You can't breathe normally while wearing them and even medical staff at hospitals need testing before they can be used.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

good to know! That rules me out. I can't even snorkel.

Just an FYI, the N-95 respirators are not designed for everyone - you should be trained how to use them and tested to make sure you are well enough to wear them. You can't breathe normally while wearing them and even medical staff at hospitals need testing before they can be used.
    Posted by Ariel81916

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

The N95 masks at the hospitals/med supply store are the rounded masks that fit tighter than the square paper ones, not the fitted, canister masks (N95-N99). People with respiratory problems may still have trouble pulling air through the generic round ones, but testing should not be required like with canister or air line respirators.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ariel81916. Show Ariel81916's posts

Even those require fit testing at my hospital. Anything beyond a simple surgical mask does and they've sent out boatloads of reminders in the last week telling staff absolutely not to distribute the N95 masks (the fitted ones you're talking about) to patients. The reminders included pictures, so I'm very sure. Smile

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Wow!  Good to know :)
    I used to be an OSHA trainer, so I fit tested people for the canister/airline ones, but I didn't realize those needed testing too.  I should tell FI :)

Sections
Shortcuts