OT: Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

OT: Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin

I thought this article from the Times was very interesting:
    http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1914857,00.html

It's true that, when I work out, I tend to get hungrier.  And I thought it was interesting that muscle only burns about 40 calories per day more than fat - not even enough for me to switch back to my beloved old friend, ranch dressing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Re: OT: Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin

I loved this article!  It made me feel so much better because last year I trained for a road race for the entire year and actually INCREASED my body fat percentage!  (Because I was working out so much every day, I ate way more in afternoon snacks and dinner than I would have had I not been doing so much activity.) 

However, exercise does help your heart, so that's a good reason to keep doing it :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Yes, even if you don't lose weight, there are 30893839830 reasons excercise is good for you.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Peonie, any chance you feel like listing them all?  Wink

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Exercise is good for me because it means I can eat more.  Healthy things, of course.  Wink

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I don't know if this article made me feel better or worse. 

If you found this interesting, you should totally read Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

True that you need both diet and exercise to control weight. I didn't read the article but they go hand in hand. Can everyone open the article? I can't.

Exercise helps protect the bones against osteoporosis. Actually one of the (many) contributing factors to osteoporosis is low body weight, so there...if you exercise and gain a little weight anyway, you're protecting your bones twice.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DZap623. Show DZap623's posts

In Response to Re: OT: Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin:
    [QUOTE]Yes, even if you don't lose weight, there are 30893839830 reasons excercise is good for you.
    Posted by Peonie[/QUOTE]
    I guess knowing how to spell isn't one of them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Uh oh, the grammar and spelling police are here...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Oh wonderful...

Where have you all been all day????

Lucy, I would rather not. But, if eating more like Goodness says, than that is enough reason for me!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]Oh wonderful... Where have you all been all day???? Lucy, I would rather not. But, if eating more like Goodness says, than that is enough reason for me!
    Posted by Peonie[/QUOTE]

I generally think that I exercise because I hate myself.  But then I think, that's not a good thing...

Also, when I am at the gym, I try to buy EVERY SINGLE THING they sell on the informercials on the weekends.  I want a Sham-Wow.  And a Silver Bullet.  And that triangle mop-head thing.  And... all of it.  So, I feel like it might be easier to save money if I didn't exercise. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

For some reason the link didn't post correctly.  Try this:

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0
    ,8599,1914857,00.html

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Lucy, yesterday I was on my way to the gym, and accidently got into the wrong lane (a left lane only) and saw that as a sign from God that I shouldn't go, so I didn't! LOL. I turned right around and went home.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]Lucy, yesterday I was on my way to the gym, and accidently got into the wrong lane (a left lane only) and saw that as a sign from God that I shouldn't go, so I didn't! LOL. I turned right around and went home.
    Posted by Peonie[/QUOTE]

Awesome.  I used to do stuff like that all the time.  I've been really good so far this summer, but if we'd had more days that were nice for being outside, I probably wouldn't have gone nearly as much.  It was like "Well, it's gross outside, and there's nothing on TV... might as well go work out."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

[QUOTE]For some reason the link didn't post correctly.  Try this: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0 ,8599,1914857,00.html
    Posted by trex509[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Interesting...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

My favorite part is where it talks about the self-control muscle.  Like, if you force yourself to work out, then you have less self-control available to avoid eating cake later. 

It makes me think that, if you actually enjoy exercise, it would help you lose weight more than someone who doesn't, because you're not using your self-control to make yourself go.  Thus, you have more self-control for other stuff.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

That's interesting... like, instead of eating the cake because "i worked out so it's [somewhat] ok if I eat a little cake" it's like, "I went through the torture of working out, I'm going to eat cake, dammit!"

I'm not sure which is me...

Much of the time I think I eat bad stuff as a sort of rebellion against my better judgment. 

Ok!  time to go home and go to the gym...

[QUOTE]My favorite part is where it talks about the self-control muscle.  Like, if you force yourself to work out, then you have less self-control available to avoid eating cake later.  It makes me think that, if you actually enjoy exercise, it would help you lose weight more than someone who doesn't, because you're not using your self-control to make yourself go.  Thus, you have more self-control for other stuff.
    Posted by lucy7368[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

It should say why exercise alone won't make you thin.  What you put into your body is just as important, if not more.  Exercising and then eating a bunch of junk is just counterproductive.  Not to say indulging in something occasionally is bad (like JP Licks twice already this week), but if you hit McDonalds after every time at the gym, what's the point?  

Since I moved here I work out less, weigh the same as I did 4 years ago but I am a lot leaner.  What changed?  My eating habits.  Now I am no longer a poor college student buying cheap unhealthy food, living in the South where there is a fast food restaurant or greasy spoon on every corner.  Plus I no longer have a car, so if I want to go somewhere I'm hoofing it. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Well, I just had a brownie and milk...sooo yeah.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Some reasons to exercise (besides toned muscles and losing weight):

Clear skin (physical activity promotes circulation and sends nutrients to your skin), better sleep, less stress (endorphins), more brain cells (exercise drives more oxygen to feed your brain, making you think quickly and clearly), improved stamina (better sex), stronger immune system (sweat out toxins, lower blood pressure/cholesterol/lower heart rate), more energy, increase bone strength....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE] Plus I no longer have a car, so if I want to go somewhere I'm hoofing it. 
    Posted by dkb6248[/QUOTE]

I think this is actually the biggest part of it.  When I lived in NYC, I didn't have a car, and I couldn't afford the subway.  I walked everywhere, and I was tiny.

Of course, I also couldn't afford food, but that's not the point. :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

[QUOTE]Well, I just had a brownie and milk...sooo yeah.....
    Posted by Peonie[/QUOTE]

Just had a peppermint pattie...getting the sensation.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

I was a lot smaller in college, and I drank A LOT more...which I am still trying to figure out. Although I walked ALL THE TIME in college. I'm starting to think maybe all the drinking caught up with me, or that I spend an hour a day in my car. I also ate like cr*p in college...this just confuses me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Could also just be your metabolism has changed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Probably, I only have gained around 20lbs (which is actually a lot) since college. I have been 140 for about 2 years now, but all throughout college I was a solid 120, man I miss that! :(

Sections
Shortcuts