OT - Why is everyone so mean

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[Quote]This is a good thread just to get everyone to check themselves before hitting "submit." If we can all agree to leave out inflammatory words while giving a poster who *seems* snarky the benefit of the doubt, then that'll make a difference.

Hey, maybe some of us work with each other. You never know, right?[/Quote]

Oh, my...well if that's the case I'm in deep trouble. lol. My screen name isn't exactly an alias. ;-)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

LOL lucy!

ams, I'm curious about you e-mail indiscretions too...oversensitive judges and attorneys? (You're a lawyer, right, I didn't make that up?)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That was some fine sarcasm, lucy. :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

On behalf of all normal people, I thank you for not using smiley faces in emails. It's so unprofessional!

It if it makes you feel any better, my main duty at work is babysitting narcississts. It sounds like you know these people too...hmm, maybe we do work together...

:) :0 ;P SMILEY FACE OVERLOAD!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

pink, I totally hear you! "Sorry to bug you" is so passive aggressive, and I reallllly hate that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

One question, why did she want you to begin and end with something personal, though? And, what did you say when she told you that?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]so happy for you that you don't work for her anymore. there's someone i work with who does that and it drives me insane! Sometimes when they call me to ask a work-related question, if I respond that I wasn't involved with that project they say "Okay, sorry to bug you."
    You're not bugging me, you were asking me, at work, a work-related question. If you had called me at home or on my cell phone when I was at lunch I could understand.
    [/Quote]

I guess they're sorry to have called you instead of the person who was actually working on the project?

I would also get, "Do you mind if I call you at 11:00 to talk about XX?"

Well, let's see - you're my boss, I'm at work, it's work-related, but, you know, you're really cutting into my personal email time, so I would prefer that you didn't...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]ugh, I hate smileys in work e-mails! I'm glad to hear you don't use them.
    I would prefer co-workers use double negatives or abbreviations before they start throwing in the smileys.

[/Quote]

I had a boss who insisted that you start and end every email "on the personal level." So, if I was dying of diptheria and needed to go home, I had to email her with:

Dear BossLady,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. :) I, unfortunately, am suffering from exploding bowel syndrome, and I am afraid that I am going to have to take the rest of the day off.

Have a splendid evening!

Lucy

It was ridiculous, but if you didn't do it, she got really offended. However, I got my revenge when I started suffering from tendonitis.

Dear BossLady,

Thank you for asking how I feel. At the moment, I feel as though I was run over by a garbage truck, and then someone put my left arm in a meat grinder. :)

Enjoy your lunch!
    Lucy

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I was feeling particularly cranky that day. Note: she never again asked how I was feeling.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Got it, makes sense now.

I have noticed the callers ask me "how I'm doing", and all I want to do is get them off the phone!! WHAT DO YOU WANT?! Ha, ha.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

i think the smiley face depends on who u are emailing and what you are emailing about. it doesnt have to be all bad. same with the 'sorry for bugging you' phrase. just depends on how close u are to the audience.

u know what i hate? this may be gross, but i dont care. im sick of people taking du**s in the bathroom here! and i am being serious with that. give me a smiley face any day over that

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks it is unprofessional, apparently it is more important to appease people with no backbone than to practice professional communication methods while in a professional environment.

But I digress...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

That's hilarious!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I agree, too. If you have to ask me something about work while I'm at work, then ask away. Stop apologizing for asking!!

Now, if someone at work is calling me at home at 11pm, THEN they would be bothering me.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]

I agree lucy. I went to an all-girls, catholic high school and my social skills only started at college. And everyone says there's a bitchy to pretty ratio... you have to be as pretty as you are bitchy. I guess everyone on here is just drop-dead gorgeous :)

[/Quote]

Well, I know that I certainly am. I'll assume the same is true for the rest of you.

Even toward the end of law school, every once in awhile, I would look around the classroom and think, "Whoa. There are BOYS in here!"

And, ams, I am still soliciting law school contributions, and I've been out for two years.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]

One question, why did she want you to begin and end with something personal, though? And, what did you say when she told you that?

[/Quote]

She didn't actually tell me - one of my co-workers did. So, I said, "That's crap." :)

At the time, I worked in customer service. When talking to a customer, we were supposed to say something nice at the beginning of the call in order to transition from personal to business. Something like "I'd be happy to help you with that," or, if you weren't an ordinarily cheerful person, "I can take care of that for you." You may have noticed that you hear these types of phrases whenever you call the bank - it's a program that everyone uses. Anyway, I guess the idea was that, even though we were in a department that did not deal with customers directly, it was important to address personal and business needs when talking to people. But it was really annoying to read three pages about her kids (whom I had never met) before reading that there was a meeting the following day. Every time she sent an email - 3-5 times per day.

What's funny is that, when I left, it was so ingrained that I continued to do it, and all the lawyers I emailed were like "What is wrong with your emails?" I stopped shortly thereafter. :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

so happy for you that you don't work for her anymore. there's someone i work with who does that and it drives me insane! Sometimes when they call me to ask a work-related question, if I respond that I wasn't involved with that project they say "Okay, sorry to bug you."
    You're not bugging me, you were asking me, at work, a work-related question. If you had called me at home or on my cell phone when I was at lunch I could understand.

[Quote][Quote]

[/Quote]

She didn't actually tell me - one of my co-workers did. So, I said, "That's crap." :)

At the time, I worked in customer service. When talking to a customer, we were supposed to say something nice at the beginning of the call in order to transition from personal to business. Something like "I'd be happy to help you with that," or, if you weren't an ordinarily cheerful person, "I can take care of that for you." You may have noticed that you hear these types of phrases whenever you call the bank - it's a program that everyone uses. Anyway, I guess the idea was that, even though we were in a department that did not deal with customers directly, it was important to address personal and business needs when talking to people. But it was really annoying to read three pages about her kids (whom I had never met) before reading that there was a meeting the following day. Every time she sent an email - 3-5 times per day.

What's funny is that, when I left, it was so ingrained that I continued to do it, and all the lawyers I emailed were like "What is wrong with your emails?" I stopped shortly thereafter. :)[/Quote]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL, public restrooms definitely don't have enough ventilation!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

there aren't many phrases that I hate, but that's one of them!
    I also hate CC: addicts. I don't need to be included on every single email you send to the department, thanks!

[Quote]pink, I totally hear you! "Sorry to bug you" is so passive aggressive, and I reallllly hate that.[/Quote]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[Quote]i think the smiley face depends on who u are emailing and what you are emailing about. it doesnt have to be all bad. same with the 'sorry for bugging you' phrase. just depends on how close u are to the audience.

u know what i hate? this may be gross, but i dont care. im sick of people taking du**s in the bathroom here! and i am being serious with that. give me a smiley face any day over that[/Quote]

I rather hear them taking a d**mp than talking on their cell phone while they tinkle. That drives me nuts! Then, they walk out w/o washing their hands. Ewwww. Bathrooms were designed for taking d**mps. :-)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[Quote]

HA! That's awesome. maybe the commonwealth could make whatever ventilation they have standard for all public restrooms!

sure, we all gotta go and sometimes it happens when you are not in the comfort of your own home, but, the SAME people every day? ick. i cant stand the smell of other people's bms, lol

i also cant stand when people bring in smelly food for lunch, or those who slurp when they sip really loud, or talk on the phone alllll day long, or those who always burp! ick.[/Quote]
    Well, no people should not be grunting or crying out in pain or elation while they take a d**mp, but I don't know that most people can 'time' when they take a BM. Sometimes you just gotta go.

I think for communal locations, you need to think twice about bringing in a stinky food - I want to vomit when people reheat fish. I mean, really? Did they think it would NOT cause an uproar when they stunk up an entire floor? And who the heck eats reheated fish anyway? It tastes horrible.

I will admit that noisy eaters annoy me. My DH and I still recall one time when we went out to lunch and there was this couple behind us who were eating sandwiches and salads. They seriously sounded like goats. Some people just aren't taught good manners. Slurping, chomping and saying 'mmm this is so good' every 5 bites is just irritating. This is why I tended to eat lunch in my office. At least I don't turn my own stomach.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

[Quote]LOL, public restrooms definitely don't have enough ventilation!![/Quote]

agreed!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]

What's worse is when I hear women leaving the stall, and walking out of the restroom without washing their hands! Seriously ladies? Can't you just give me the satisfaction of thinking that you washed your hands - turn the water on, at least!

[/Quote]

What actually bothers me is the people who try to carry on a conversation when I am in there. Just imagine that my stall is a urination bubble. I like to pretend that, when I'm in there, you can't hear me, and I can't hear you.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

What's worse is when I hear women leaving the stall, and walking out of the restroom without washing their hands! Seriously ladies? Can't you just give me the satisfaction of thinking that you washed your hands - turn the water on, at least!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

how about nail clipping? I had a cube mate over the wall from me that clipped every Monday afternoon.

Sections
Shortcuts