Quick Poll - Are You Paying for Bridesmaids Hair?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from girleee1287. Show girleee1287's posts

Quick Poll - Are You Paying for Bridesmaids Hair?

I am in the process of getting a quote from my salon about hair.  Are you guys paying for hair or not?  Every wedding I have been in, I have covered my own hair, but not sure what the norm is.  Thanks

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Re: Quick Poll - Are You Paying for Bridesmaids Hair?

I didn't, but I also didn't require them to have it done professionally or to wear it a certain way.  They did all chose to have it done at a salon, so I made the appointment for all of us after we had discussed it, but they paid for it themselves.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

No. I told them they could do whatever they wanted to do w/ their hair.  I did give them the contact number and price list for the lady who was coming to my room to do my hair, but no one took me up on it.  One of my sisters did get her hair professionally done by her own stylist but I think she also used it as a trial run for how she wanted to wear her hair for her own wedding 11 weeks later b/c she wore her hair the same way both times.  She looked great, as did my other sister and BFF who styled their own hair. I did everyone's makeup, except for my BFF/MOH who did her own.

I think if the bride is requiring a certain type of hair style [ie, updo] then she needs to pay for it.  If it's just being offered b/c of the pampering nature of getting your hair done, but you are letting them wear their hair any way they want it, then I think they can foot the bill themselves. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd save the expense completely and not require/ask anyone to get their hair done.

P.S.  But, that doesn't help answer your question.  I think it is a personal thing that really doesn't have a norm.  If you want to cover it as a gift, that would be nice.  If it's just part of the expense of having accepted the honor of being your bridesmaid, that's not unreasonable to me.  I'm sure when they said yes that they knew expenses like that could be incurred.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

If I were asked to be a BM, I would expect to pay for my own hair.  I don't know how much that helps.

Unfortunately, all of the weddings I have been in were when I was 11-14, so my Mom did my hair.  All of my friends are either unmarried, or were married when I met them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

I am - since I need to get my hair done on a Sunday morning, the salon is not open so my regular hairdresser is going to come to us. She is charging a flat rate that will cover the 4 of us. Because of the financial situation of 2 of the BM's, I couldn't ask them to pay for a portion. I think that is important to consider when you make your decision.
    As for weddings I've been in, mostly I paid for my hair. Once I did it myself and once the bride paid for us.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

My BM paid for her own hair and when i was in her wedding I paid for my hair to be done. It wasn't a requirement of course but i asked if she wanted it done and gave the cost.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I'm not planning to cover my BMs hair, but also not requiring them to have it done.  My friend knew a stylist who she had do all the BMs hair for her wedding, so I might see if her rates are reasonable and consider it.  But at this point, I'm not sure i can afford to pay for them all!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

My girls can do what they want, not requiring it all.. it ended up that 5 wanted their hair done, including mom and flower girl, and 3 didn't so I'm paying for my mom and the flower girl (flower girl as part of her gift cuz I didn't have too much I was giving her besides a fur wrap and a snowflake necklace and mom, cuz i wanted to), the other 3 are paying themselves.. $50 for updo and $40 for blow out with curls. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from twinklie12. Show twinklie12's posts

For all of the weddings I have been in, I paid to get my hair done and expected to do so.  I won't demand that my bridesmaids have their hair done, but if they do want it done, they plan on paying for it - as I did for their weddings!  We'll probably all go to the salon together, which I always enjoy.  It's fun to me to be around the bride as she gets ready, and is so anxious for the big day!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

ditto. My MOH and SIL did their own hair, my other BM, step sister and mom had theirs done at a salon. I did my own hair with help from my MOH, so I didn't book a salon or pay for anyone's hair.

but FWIW, if I were someone's BM and I had longer hair, I'd probably expect to pay to get it done. I guess the good thing about having short hair is never needing someone else to style it.

In Response to Re: Quick Poll - Are You Paying for Bridesmaids Hair?:
    [QUOTE]I didn't, but I also didn't require them to have it done professionally or to wear it a certain way.  They did all chose to have it done at a salon, so I made the appointment for all of us after we had discussed it, but they paid for it themselves.
    Posted by dkb6248[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Speak for yourself Pink. I've found that shorter hair need more styling help.  Long hair is easier - you can always put it in a low pony, or put it in a twist and look good. There are more bad hair days that need professional help w/ shorter hair than w/ long hair.  :-)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I paid for my BMs hair because I wanted them to get it done professionally (I only had 2 BMs, so it wasn't a huge expense). I didn't pick a style for them, though, just asked them to do something different from what I was doing. 

I didn't pay for their makeup; I told them they could do whatever they wanted with that. 

Of the weddings I've been in, I've always paid to get my hair done and expected to incur the cost. You don't have to pay for the hair, but if you're asking them to do something specific then it would be nice. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Jan2010: wow, $50 for an updo is great!  Who are you using?  I paid for my hair as a BM in a recent wedding and it was $100.  I did it because I wanted to spend the morning with the bride, but it was a little painful to pay that much.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]Speak for yourself Pink. I've found that shorter hair need more styling help.  Long hair is easier - you can always put it in a low pony, or put it in a twist and look good. There are more bad hair days that need professional help w/ shorter hair than w/ long hair.  :-)
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]

Me, too.  I can't cut my hair short, because it is impossible to style and, believe it or not, my best look does not involve random pieces of hair jutting out of my head at all angles.  Embarassed 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghotieyes. Show ghotieyes's posts

I paid for my bm's hair and makeup. My mentality is that I wanted them to feel honored to be part of my wedding, not burdened to have to pay for dresses, hair, makeup, showers, bachelorette parties etc. Of course I only had 2, so the price was manageable

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from twinklie12. Show twinklie12's posts

I think most times it just depends on your bridal party and what the norm is.  All of my friends have always paid their own way for hair and/or makeup as BMs.  I like it this way because I can spread out paying for such things for every wedding that I'm in.  I don't like the idea of the bride, who is probably already forking over thousands of dollars that year (at least I am!), also feeling like she has to pay for all the girls hair and makeup as well.  I know it sort of all works out in the end, but I think it's nice for the bride not to have to worry about it in an already expensive year.  As a bridesmaid, it's never bothered me to pay for my hair-do, especially knowing that they'd gladly do it for me someday.  :)  But again, no right or wrong way, just do what you feel comfortable with and what you think your bridal party will be comfortable with.  I am definitely seeking out salons where updos are a reasonable amount for the BMs.  I called one that was $85 for each BM updo, which I thought was a lot, I was expecting more along the lines of $50 or $60, and I was eventually able to find that. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

Trex - I used Amanda Burgess (603-812-6544) for all my hair and makeup needs - she has a team of people and she has 2 makeup (herself included) and 2 hair people coming to my house the morning of.  She gave me one flat quote for all, which worked out to be $35 makeup and $40-50 for hair for bridesmaids.  I paid $150 myself for hair day of, hair trial, makeup trial, makeup day of as well.  So the girls would be more if you want to pay less for yourself or vice versa.  I determined it all ahead of time and paid my deposit of $150 which covers me, and the girls will all pay theirs the day of to get to the overall total.  The lowest I found other than her was $60 for the bridesmaid updos and it was at a salon and I really wanted someone at the house too.. so it all worked out great.  I loved my hair trial and my makeup trial too!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nancysyd. Show nancysyd's posts

I think it depends on what your intention is. If you don't care how they wear their hair for the wedding, then they pay for whatever they want done. If your goal is to have them all have the same look for the wedding, you pay for it. If your goal is to have a lovely experience at a salon together, you pay for it. 

BTW, if you do contract with a hairstylist to do your bridesmaids' hair, please be sensitive to the diversity issue. My close friend, who is Asian, arranged for a hairdresser for the bridesmaids, but the hairdresser was not familiar with working on African-American hair. The hairdresser didn't allow for the extra time, burnt my hair rushing to get it done, and I had that nasty burnt-hair smell all through the wedding and reception. The style just disintegrated during the course of the wedding, and by the time the reception started I looked like the Bride of Frankenstein having a bad hair day! The photos from the wedding are just embarrassing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Alf & Lucy- we're talking pixie short, not chin length. going to a salon to style a pixie cut is like throwing your money away.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Ah yes, I can see where you would be able to do a pixie on your own. Then again, I had a pixie-ish cut once and it still looked like I styled it w/ an electric hand mixer on occasion.  I have fine, wavy/curly hair - that cut short is a recipe for disaster.  The bob it's finally grown out into is a godsend. :-)  As is John Freida.  That man should be worshipped as the god he is.  Frizzease is the world's best invention next to Spanx.  :-)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Really? I have fine curly hair, a pixie is the only cut I can manage because I can blow-dry it straight in 15 mins. Air-dry in the winter is not an option. I used to have a bob, but the amount of blow-drying and anti-frizz hairspray I had to do everyday was exhausting. And I couldn't live without the frizzease hairspray, it's the only thing that curbs the curl.
    My mother has thick curly hair, and she has an awful time with it if she cuts it short because it just won't behave. Plus it's desire to stick straight up is incredible. my hair can't hold volume unless I mousse & round-brush the cr!p out of it, but her hair seems to defy gravity.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

The wedding I am in in June, the bride told us we could do whatever we wanted, but since my hair is so boring and I have no idea how to do it, I will pay to have it done. Same with makeup.

I totally agree with ALF, if the bride is requiring the bridal party get's their hair/makeup done, than she needs to pay for it.

There is a girl who is in this wedding in June who doesn't want to get her makeup done, says she will do it herself. Her eyes look like racoons everytime she does her own makeup, but the bride was like "what am I gonna do? Make her get it done?"

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

someone should take her out for a makeover in april or somethin. you can say "I want to go get some ideas for how to do my makeup, but I don't want to do it alone. You love makeup, come with me!"
    I've found that girls who do their makeup that way just never learned that less is more.

[QUOTE]The wedding I am in in June, the bride told us we could do whatever we wanted, but since my hair is so boring and I have no idea how to do it, I will pay to have it done. Same with makeup. I totally agree with ALF, if the bride is requiring the bridal party get's their hair/makeup done, than she needs to pay for it. There is a girl who is in this wedding in June who doesn't want to get her makeup done, says she will do it herself. Her eyes look like racoons everytime she does her own makeup, but the bride was like "what am I gonna do? Make her get it done?"
    Posted by Peonie[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

For my friends wedding, we took the bride and BMs (only 2 of us) to Sephora for a makeup makeover.  It was great and everyone loved it!  They showed us what colors/products looked good on us and taught us how to use them. You just have to call ahead and make an appointment.  I think they did the bride 1st in 1 hr and then spent like 1 hr on the 2 of us.