Registry "rule of thumb"?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good point breaking sets up. It gives people the option (if they get there early enough) to buy you the whole set or to have individuals purchase bits and pieces of an expensive set. I did this with a (gasp) $2000 knife set...which I do use every single day and adore. (I've used Henkle my whole life up to now, and they don't compare.)

Cutco Ultimate Kitchen Block if you're interested - with 12 reviews it got 5 out of 5 stars. I have to add my own 5 star rating now that I think of it. They're made in the USA and have a lifetime guarantee. Send them in for free (except you have to pay shipping) to have them sharpened for life, too. I got more than 1/2 of the set, including the block, from wedding guests (total of 80 people), and then we completed the rest for 20% off. I don't think it says that anywhere on the Cutco site.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Misslily, I was with your mother until I read this thread. I had no idea, that the bride would get 10% off non-purchased items. So now I feel a lot better giving gift cards or cash - since the bride can go and buy the gifts herself for less.

[Quote]I know that people register for expensive items because they will get the 10% discount so it doesn't bother me. But it sure bothered my mom before I told her what people were doing. She called me once and complained about a registry with sofas and a bedroom set. "Who's going to spend that kind of money!"
    So - yes, some people might think it's tacky - but it's probably worth it to save the extra $$$ - and they'll get over it. :)[/Quote]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

We pretty much registered for everything we needed without going overboard. We also considered each item carefully, like will we use it, do we have room for it? I really wanted an ice cream maker, but in reality, I'll probably never use it. We have a medium sized registry at C&B, a large one at BB&B, and a small one at Pottery Barn.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

[Quote]Wherever you go, they will give you a list w/ estimated number of items based on your number of guests.

The list they give you is not necessarily going to match your personal needs, so dont shy away from registering a few more or a few less of something if you feel like it makes sesne for you. And have fun!! :-)[/Quote]

Thanks! This was something I always got excited about - before we got engaged. Now it's just another thing to stress over! :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

FI and I are going to register soon, and while we know what we need and want, we have no idea how many items we should actually register for. Our registry will include a wide price range to provide options for our guests, but we don't know how much we should actually register for.

Is there a rule of thumb calculation of how many gifts we should put on there? We are inviting about 250 guests. We don't want to over do it and appear greedy, but we do want to give our guests a variety of items to choose from.

Any advice? Thanks!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd be shocked if anyone really assumed you thought you'd be getting a couch as a wedding gift from any one guest just because it's on your registry. People have gone in on group wedding gifts long before the internet. People have contributed toward things the couple wants for a long time, too. It's just another way to let people know what their gift certificates or cash is going toward, and makes your thank you notes for cash easier to write. "Thank you so much for contributing so generously to our furniture..." Then, if they viewed your registry, they'll know exactly what you are talking about.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CD119. Show CD119's posts

A tip: BB&B will give you cash for anything you return off your registry list even without a receipt. Not that I'd purposely over-register there and then plan on doing returns (that seems really unethical, not to mention a huge pain in the butt).

As a related registry question.... I've been thinking about registering for a couch and a chair at Crate and Barrel. I don't expect anyone will purchase those for us, but there is a 10% discount on completion and that would be a nice bit off -- not to mention we can let people know if they can't decide we'd use a gift certificate toward that purchase. Does anyone think that would look tacky? Do people do that?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Personally, I wouldn't think much of 1 or 2 registries with many items on them. We registered for things we need, plain and simple. If it looks like too much, so be it. (Hopefully it doesn't!)

The only time I was taken aback was when a friend had 4 registries and each of them was long. I can see creating 2 and then a few things at a 3rd store, but 4 long registries seemed bizarre. I wouldn't say greedy because I know her well enough to know that isn't true, but still bizarre!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]Careful about the "getting cash for the stuff you register for" idea. Most stores will only give you a store credit - they won't hand over the money. :)[/Quote]

I figured that most places wouldn't do that. in that case - register at Macy's.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[Quote]

Thanks! This was something I always got excited about - before we got engaged. Now it's just another thing to stress over! :)[/Quote]

Dont stress at all, just enjoy it. It is like a big huge shopping spree but without guilt! (and, you dont get to bring anything home, at least not right away).

I did have to do some clean-up after I gave FI the scanner at BB&B though...haha... :-)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Wherever you go, they will give you a list w/ estimated number of items based on your number of guests.

The list they give you is not necessarily going to match your personal needs, so dont shy away from registering a few more or a few less of something if you feel like it makes sesne for you. And have fun!! :-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

When we registered, at two different stores, the people who helped us set them up advised that we register for roughly 1.5 times as many guests as you expect to have....for us that meant over 150 items between the two registries. Needless to say, we are nowhere near that number.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I think it might be even more than 10% off at BB&B! I forget.

I see a lot of things about registries as a catch 22... On the one hand it can look greedy to register for big ticket items... On the other hand, my sister mentioned that she wanted to get people to go in on a bedroom set for us, but I didn't register for one.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I will say that one very helpful saleslady told me not to "over register". We only had 125 at our wedding. Since most are couples, that comes out to about 60 gifts - 75 if you include the 15 ladies who came to the shower.
    Unless you want to end up with three place settings of this and 4 place settings of that, 5 glasses, etc. don't over do it.
    And try to break things up if you can. Instead of the 10 piece All Clad that's $600 - register for each piece separately. Even though those big sets are "a deal" when you add up the cost of each pan - it's unlikely anyone will spend that much for one gift and you wont end up getting it at all. I got most of mine at my shower because people were happy to spend $90 for one piece.
    I also broke up my china and registered for 12 dinner plates, 12 salad and 12 bread and butter instead of 12 full place settings. I skipped the coffee cups/saucers. I ended up getting everything because people were able to buy within their price range. My boss got me 8 dinner plates (WOW) and lots of people bought me 2 of either salad or bread & butter.
    And we went with inexpensive glass wear - I seem to break a glass every time we have a party so no sense getting "fine crystal".
    Have fun - and remember, you can always add more stuff later!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishchick. Show irishchick's posts

We have two registries - one at BB&B and one at HoneyFund. But we want most people to go to HoneyFund so we only registered for enough at BB&B for shower gifts. The woman at BB&B has called since to remind us to register for more stuff because we have 90 guests! That's annoying.

We have 51 individual items on our BB&B list, with 16 of them costing $30 or more. The rest are pretty cheap. But that's just us. We already have a fairly well stocked home with quality stuff. (My favorite score was a beautiful white 40 piece place setting set from Crate & Barrel that I bought from someone on Craigslist for $40. It was missing only a couple of pieces.)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You can get a 10% (at least) discount on items that have not been purchased off your registry after the wedding from most places. So, don't worry about registering for too much. Whatever people don't buy (and they won't think anything about all the choices they have) you can get later at that discount...unless you don't register for it in the first place.

However, that being said, I've seen couples (strangers) at Crate and Barrel pointing the wand seemingly willy nilly at everything "cute." (OK, mostly her.) But, I strongly advise you to be careful. Register for things you would buy if you were using your own hard earned money AND that you have ROOM FOR IN YOUR HOUSE. Imagine where you will STORE it before you register for it. If you end up with a lot of cool things that you can't find a place for they won't be cool anymore.

Also, imagine yourself USING these things. If you don't spend more time in the kitchen than the time it takes to throw something from the freezer into the microwave, don't register for a $2000 knife set. Things you get as gifts will not change who you are or your habits.

So, don't worry necessarily about how many things you are registering for. Worry about if you have room for them and if you'll REALLY use and love them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Careful about the "getting cash for the stuff you register for" idea. Most stores will only give you a store credit - they won't hand over the money. :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I know that people register for expensive items because they will get the 10% discount so it doesn't bother me. But it sure bothered my mom before I told her what people were doing. She called me once and complained about a registry with sofas and a bedroom set. "Who's going to spend that kind of money!"
    So - yes, some people might think it's tacky - but it's probably worth it to save the extra $$$ - and they'll get over it. :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Txgrl82. Show Txgrl82's posts

Don't worry about appearing "greedy". Guests like to have options, despite what we may think. Register for what you need/want. People will only buy what they want!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I would just say that there's no need to register for stuff that you don't need/don't want/won't use just to fill up your registry with enough stuff for 250 guests. Remember that a lot of people will give you cash, and some might choose to go in together on stuff. It would be unforunate if you ended up with all the filler items, and none of the stuff you actually want.

Then again, if you can return stuff off the registry for cash, I guess it isn't a big deal.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

CD, I'd say go ahead and register for it. It won't look tacky - people often like to get a gift "taken care of" by going in on something big. No hassle for them, new furniture for you. And, like you say, you get it for less if it doesn't get purchased.

However, word to the wise. If you have your heart set on the other items on your registry, you make take away from getting those by having the furniture. That's your personal call, not an etiquette dilema, though. It's a gamble. For instance, I had a $300 weight set on our registry for a short time. When it dawned on me that I wanted $300 of other stuff I registered for a lot more than that item, I canned it before anyone could buy it. It really comes down to making sure that everything on your registry is something you'd definitely go out and buy yourself if gifts weren't part of the wedding tradition.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

register at more than one store, as well as a wide range of prices. it gives people options. one thing I found is alot of people will chip in and give a "group gift".

register for "basics" including the little items like dish towels, pot holders, trivets and gadgets.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

why don't you just add the couch & chair to your C&B registry like a day or two before the wedding?

very few people are likely to see it, and you can get the 10% off

you can always get gift certificates anyway...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

It went way more smoothly then I thought it would!! We enjoyed it.

We considered who cares more about which items, and let that person pick. My fiance used to be a chef, so he chose most of the kitchen stuff. (Atlhough, I had to reel him in a few times when he wanted something too expensive.) I got to choose a lot of other stuf, like china, towels, and sheets.