Royals breaching etiquette?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Royals breaching etiquette?

Okay, so I don't really care about the whole Prince William and Kate Middleton thing, but I was very intrigued to see headlines about how they'll be faxing save-the-dates and are considering registering with a charity.

Do you think this will change some people's minds about what is proper etiquette?
    Do you think they'll offend their guests by faxing STDs or by their choice of charity?
    Do people still have fax machines in their homes? (just kidding!)
    Do you think faxing an STD is better than emailing one? Worse? Unacceptable either way?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal1124. Show mezzogal1124's posts

Re: Royals breaching etiquette?

As for the STDs, I find that odd on a couple of levels.  First of all, I've always thought of faxes as strictly for business, partially because I think faxes look ugly, partially because they're SUCH a business form of communication.  But more to the point, it's hilarious that they're sending STDs at all, as the wedding date and location have already been broadcast to the whole world.  :-) 

While I ordinarily might think it pretentious if someone asked me to donate to a charity for their wedding (especially if it was a charity with which I disagreed), I believe it's far more appropriate in William and Kate's situation because the British royal family has long been tied to various charities.  The proceeds of sales of many royal items, for example, goes to charity.  Especially in the middle of a recession, I think it might be more offensive if they registered for gifts as some people might interpret it as selfish. They already have fine china and crystal at their disposal that's hundreds of years old, and are they really going to cook?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I'm hung up on the faxing thing. Seriously, who has a fax machine? Maybe they should send it to people's beepers instead. Or by telegram. I think emailing an STD is better than faxing one because people, you know, use email.

Do you think Kate gets to plan her own wedding, or is it done for her? I would have been sad if I didn't get to plan my own, partially because I'm a control freak and partially because it was fun and special.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpiorising. Show Scorpiorising's posts

You all need a different acronym for Save the Date announcements beside STDs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

oh, grow up Scorpiorising. We can use it without giggling like a 15 year old.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: Royals breaching etiquette?:
    [QUOTE]I'm hung up on the faxing thing. Seriously, who has a fax machine? Maybe they should send it to people's beepers instead. Or by telegram. I think emailing an STD is better than faxing one because people, you know, use email. Do you think Kate gets to plan her own wedding, or is it done for her? I would have been sad if I didn't get to plan my own, partially because I'm a control freak and partially because it was fun and special.
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease[/QUOTE]

Ha! Beepers!

I'll bet she gets to choose flowers and things, but I'm sure there's a bunch of stuff she has no choice but to do. I'm sure picking a dress that is flattering, but not sexy, is going to be an ordeal.
    I'll bet the guest list is hardly up to them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

It's not like they're personally sending faxes to people's homes.

There's all sorts of official protocols they have to go through. That may be the standard protocol for secretaries/assistants for one head of state to contact their counterparts. It may seem weird, but I don't know the nuances of royal/diplomatic protocol. (Even with computers, medical records are routinely faxed from computers, so it's not like the technology is massively obsolete.)

I agree that choosing the dress won't be easy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JJLen. Show JJLen's posts

The save the dates are going to heads of state, etc. So I agree with Redfish -- these are diplomatic ties and there are protocols there that differ vastly from how the rest of us non-royals function.

Also, a "save the date" in any form isn't really an etiquette issue. The invitation is what matters for etiquette, not the heads-up that an invitation is coming eventually. An etiquette breach would occur only if, say, they sent out a save the date but then never sent an invite.

I would also think in the royals case a charity registry would be far, far better. They don't need gifts. And yet people always want/expect to bring something to a wedding. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

seems funny to me that they'd be sending std's...although for some reason, where there is wealth, tradition and a certain protocol involved with the Royal family, something tells me they'd be delivering the std's the old fashioned way...hand delivery by servants.

If i'm not mistaken all wedding plans need to be cleared through Queen Elizabeth first.

although i am hearing that William & Kate won't be using servants after they are married.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]seems funny to me that they'd be sending std's...although for some reason, where there is wealth, tradition and a certain protocol involved with the Royal family, something tells me they'd be delivering the std's the old fashioned way...hand delivery by servants. If i'm not mistaken all wedding plans need to be cleared through Queen Elizabeth first. although i am hearing that William & Kate won't be using servants after they are married.   
    Posted by laryan[/QUOTE]

maybe it's delivered by hand after it comes out of the fax machine ;)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Did anyone watch any of the TLC shows last night about the Royals? I caught part of it and concluded that there is no way I would want to be royalty. Your life is not your own and the Queen's sister couldn't even marry the man she loved because he was divorced!

Too much pressure. Rather be uncivilized, common folk.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I didn't, but the headlines alone make me happy that I'm not some sort of public figure. I saw a headline today "Prince Harry To Be Best Man"- is that really news? Is anyone surprised?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Jack...funny..but neither would I. I guess we are both old fashioned because last summer one of my son's closest friends got married and not only was the wife's ex invited to the wedding..but he was a groomsman. In the fall..the ex is getting married and both the friend and his new wife are not only invited..but in the wedding.
    Also, I am old fashioned in that I like the paper invitations. I be insulted to receive a faxed or e-mailed invitation.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

[QUOTE]Jack...funny..but neither would I. I guess we are both old fashioned because last summer one of my son's closest friends got married and not only was the wife's ex invited to the wedding..but he was a groomsman. In the fall..the ex is getting married and both the friend and his new wife are not only invited..but in the wedding. Also, I am old fashioned in that I like the paper invitations. I be insulted to receive a faxed or e-mailed invitation.
    Posted by miscricket[/QUOTE]

There are many people who are so easily insulted that its scary. But the rest of the world really cant walk on eggshells to please that small minority. I thought that a fax is a paper invitation, no?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Faxing a wedding invitation is impersonal, in poor taste and not proper etiquette..so yes..if I received an invitation via fax I would find it in poor taste. No one is asking anyone to walk on eggshells. If expecting people to have basic manners and etiquette can be defined as "easily insulted" and a "small minority"..then I would suggest our society has more problems than I thought..lol

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Oh..and Pinkkittie..to answer one of your questions..I don't think most people have faxes in their homes...and as well..faxes are becoming more obsolete. I know where I work,we rarely use the fax and instead scan to pdf's and e-mail.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Yes, every office I've ever worked in used thae scan & send, but there's always an old fax on standby.
    I was just curious if anyone had one because I can't remember the last time I saw one in someone's home! But I suppose the royals were faxing embassy offices and the like.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Pinkittie..I agree. The "royal" wedding invitiation process was likely very different from what you would expect in "normal" weddings. For them, it was far more business like. If I received a faxed invitation from one of my close friends or relatives, I would wonder if they had taken leave of their senses.
    In my office, we still have one fax machine. We receive lots of faxes...but there are only one..possibly two..people who actually use it to send.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cathbunk. Show cathbunk's posts

To go back to the original question, I do not think a SAVE THE DATE fax is in bad taste as it is simply a 'heads up.'  The Royal Family were not sending out the formal invitiations via fax they were sending the SAVE THE DATE reminders by fax. There is a difference.

The question on fax machines, nope do not have one.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

[QUOTE]Faxing a wedding invitation is impersonal, in poor taste and not proper etiquette..so yes..if I received an invitation via fax I would find it in poor taste. No one is asking anyone to walk on eggshells. If expecting people to have basic manners and etiquette can be defined as "easily insulted" and a "small minority"..then I would suggest our society has more problems than I thought..lol
    Posted by miscricket[/QUOTE]

Since the royals are basically the epitome of most etiquette, I think that whatever they do is therefore etiquette. Its not like the faxes went to the people directly, as opposed to their offices. This is a state wedding we are discussing after all, not some "little-nobody's" wedding with personal friends and family. 
    I agree with Pink. 
    Also, its more than a little arrogant to think you are above the etiquette of the royals, and have the right to criticize, no? Especially coming from a country where chewing gum is considered normal. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

"Since the royals are basically the epitome of most etiquette, I think that whatever they do is therefore etiquette. Its not like the faxes went to the people directly, as opposed to their offices. This is a state wedding we are discussing after all, not some "little-nobody's" wedding with personal friends and family."

Above by Plasko..

Actually...to address your first statement..not always..and according to the AP..this was not technically a "state event". A state event implies government. This was simply an event of "The Royals". 
    I would hardly hold up business etiquette to that of personal etiquette...lol...and I would not characterize any of the brides of weddings I have attended as "little miss nobodys"...but to each their own.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

State event or not, I agree that whatever is approved by the Queen of England for her family to do in public is etiquette defined.  And, I think Plasko simply meant non-famous by "little miss nobodies."  Maybe not the most gracious way to describe us plebeians, but oh, well.

Sections
Shortcuts