save the dates/invititations

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from staci1. Show staci1's posts

save the dates/invititations

Good morning, question for everyone... we will be addressing our invites, and save the save the dates with a clear label... is that what everyone else used?  The envelopes are a Merlot color... and the print will be black.  What size did you use?  The save the dates are a standard card envelope size maybe a little bigger, and the wedding invites are about double that size.  I wanted to go to Staples this weekend.. and start this project!!!

Thanks
    Staci

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Re: save the dates/invititations

I used clear lables for our rehearsal invites, wedding invites and the rsvp card back to us.  I went with at standard Staples brand I believe they were 1/2 inch by 1 3/4 inch.

For save the dates we did an evite notice since they are more informal.  Have fun with them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from staci1. Show staci1's posts

thanks... our's are a little formalish...... I was thinking of the labels with a fancy print......do you have any pics... how'd they look?

Staci

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I did a fancy font. Georgia, I think, or maybe Parisian. I don't have any pictures. We did a 14pt font because our envelopes were standard size. Printed them in a dark blue onto the light blue envelopes. They looked very nice.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Are you sure the black will be enough of a contrast against merlot?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I agree....you might not be able to read the black ink on a maroon envelope.  Oh, 'scuse -- merlot.  Maybe try white ink?

Edited to add:  I just re-read your post and wanted to add that most people choose not to use labels on the actual wedding invitations, in case that's what you were asking.  For STDs, no problemo. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I did the same for a bridal shower.  I used Monotype Corsiva as a font.  I thought it looked more wedding-y.  :)

I don't think home printers can print white since they make colors by combining cyan, magenta and yellow.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

we used labels for our save the dates but our wedding invites we printed right onto the envelope.  I didn't like the look of a label on a wedding envelope.  personal opinion though. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

I used monotype corsiva as well. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from staci1. Show staci1's posts

all good idea's.... what other color would you do on merlot envelope... I didn't even know there was white.. what do you think about a silver, or gold?  is that tacky?

Thanks

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

In Response to Re: save the dates/invititations:
    [QUOTE]thanks... our's are a little formalish...... I was thinking of the labels with a fancy print......do you have any pics... how'd they look? Staci
    Posted by staci1[/QUOTE]

I didn't take any pics of the envelopes, but I used the same font and ink color for everything.  My evenelopes were light practically white and we used a dark purple ink.  For a dark envelope I would use as light of an ink as possible or just a gold or silver ink pen.  Maybe a grey ink off your printer would work.   I know we tested seveal colors by typeing out the size font and RGB values on the label and picked the best one.  That maybe the way to go for you, sacrifice an envelope and a label or two.

And sign me up as another Monotype Corsiva font girl.  I think I went with a 14 point font.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]all good idea's.... what other color would you do on merlot envelope... I didn't even know there was white.. what do you think about a silver, or gold?  is that tacky? Thanks
    Posted by staci1[/QUOTE]

Not knowing how dark it is, it's hard to say.  I'd suggest white or ivory.  Silver and gold isn't tacky IMO, but I usually find it just as hard to read as black on dark.  You have to tip it in the light just right to see it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Printers can't print white. Maybe try printing them in black and if it doesn't show up well enough, trace over it with a metallic pen. Or maybe do a colored label and print the text in merlot?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I agree with all the posters, saying that the merlot color is too dark for printing anything on. A friend of mine had her daughter's invitations done in that color (called maroon though) with silver writing. Not only did they have tons of calls to answer afterwards, since everyone had a hard time to read the print, but several invites never made it to the receivers. It was a total mess.
    Even though labels are not the way to go on formal invites (etiquette wise), I think that Pinkie's suggestion (now that you have already ordered and bought your invites), a colored - even white label with printing in the same color as your envelope would be the way to go. Generally I would not go for labels on formal invites, but right now you don't have much of a choice.
    Good luck!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The clear labels are really professional looking.  I just fear the worst for necessary contrast.

Staples can't print text in ivory?  I'd see if I could take them somewhere that can print the labels in a light color.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

Be careful with silver; did silver type on bright pink envelopes for a breast cancer fundraiser and about 40% of the invites came back to us because the post office's scanner "could not read" the envelopes even though they were very clear and legible.  We took them back to the post office and since these were so easy to read the argument that the post office could not really read them was laughable and they ended up hand canceling. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

i'm one of these sticklers for "etiquette" and "properness"...wouldn't recommend labels for wedding invites...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]i'm one of these sticklers for "etiquette" and "properness"...wouldn't recommend labels for wedding invites...
    Posted by laryan[/QUOTE]

I am, too, but in this case I think the rules should be updated to reflect the change in technology.  They look so nice, why not?  They used to look ugly so, of course, they weren't acceptable.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I don't really understand why you are "supposed" to hand write invitations.  I know very few people (myself included) who have really nice handwriting anymore.  If the idea is that you are doing it personally, why is it okay to hire a calligrapher?  If you are making the labels yourself, you are still doing it personally and it looks way better than bad handwriting.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Can we please skip the hand-written vs. labels debate on this thread?

This OP asked about label size, so let's just answer her questions specifically.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good idea.  Sorry I responded.  It's been covered to death.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

Not a fan of labels on invites, don't care about save the dates (sorry, Pink, can't keep that to myself, I think labels on formal invitations look icky).  I agree that you should print right on the envelope.

For the labels, I used clear labels for some return labels I made last year and they smudged, so be careful about that.  I think you will be ok with regular label sized ones for the save the dates) If you do use them for an invitation I'd think you'd need 2 x 3's at least or the printing will be too small.

I was also wondering if you could see the black on that dark of an envelope.  Can you practice in Word first or some other program first (use merlot highlighting and see if black print shows)?

Let us know how they turn out!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

http://www.staples.com/Avery-8987-Gold-Foil-Inkjet-Return-Address-Labels-3-4-x-2/product_446554?cmArea=SEARCH

something like this might work best for a dark envelope. I believe they're also available in silver.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Sorry guys.  I guess I wasn't around for the label vs. hand written debate.  I think labels are fine.  Especially since most people look at the envelope for all of 5 seconds before they open the invite.

Good luck Staci!  I'm sure they will be beautiful.  :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

[QUOTE]Can we please skip the hand-written vs. labels debate on this thread? This OP asked about labels, so let's just answer her question about size, etc.
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

YES, PLEASE.  Thank you, Pink, was just about to write the same thing.

Staci did not ask WHETHER to use labels.

Sections
Shortcuts