She's a doctor, he's not...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Re: She's a doctor, he's not...

I like the first one....

did you google it???

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Just called my mom, she is a dermatologist and my dad is in a completely different business, she said there are two ways:

Dr. Susan Smith and Mr. John Smith; Dr. Susan and Mr. John Smith.

Hope this helps! :)

ETA: the man does not always have to go first.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

I think you're supposed to keep the man's first name together with the last name, so Dr. Andrea and Mr. William Jones would be correct over Mr. William and Dr. Andrea Jones.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

hmm, I deferred to Crane's for all my addressing etiquette questions.
    They recommend Doctor Jane Smith and Mr. John Smith. See:
    In Which Woman Is a Doctor
    Outside EnvelopeInside Envelope
    Mr. and Mrs. Troy Clayton
    or
    Doctor Christine Clayton
    and Mr. Troy Clayton
    Mr. and Mrs. Clayton
    or
    Doctor Clayton
    and Mr. Clayton

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

I just keeping thinking I always hear them called "Vice President and Dr. Biden" when they're referring to our country's VP and his wife...

Maybe that's because his title as VP is "higher" than hers as doctor...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Thanks guys!  I could have googled it but I prefer to check with you all first :) 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: She's a doctor, he's not...:
    Just called my mom, she is a dermatologist and my dad is in a completely different business, she said there are two ways: Dr. Susan Smith and Mr. John Smith; Dr. Susan and Mr. John Smith. Hope this helps! :) ETA: the man does not always have to go first.
    Posted by Peonie

The first way is the most proper.  I had to look this up for our wedding, too!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from randy07. Show randy07's posts

I just keeping thinking I always hear them called "Vice President and Dr. Biden" when they're referring to our country's VP and his wife... Maybe that's because his title as VP is "higher" than hers as doctor...
    Posted by Rapunzel41

Jill Biden is a teacher at a Community College - a doctor of education, not an MD. Most of my friends with this title don't use it socially - but I guess Jill likes to inflate herself a little.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: She's a doctor, he's not... : Jill Biden is a teacher at a Community College - a doctor of education, not an MD. Most of my friends with this title don't use it socially - but I guess Jill likes to inflate herself a little.
    Posted by randy07

I'd probably use it, if I had it.  Getting a PhD ain't easy.

Then again, I guess that means you all need to start referring to me as either "Lucy, J.D." or "Lucy, Esq."  Undecided

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

In Response to Re: She's a doctor, he's not... : Jill Biden is a teacher at a Community College - a doctor of education, not an MD. Most of my friends with this title don't use it socially - but I guess Jill likes to inflate herself a little.
    Posted by randy07

I think anyone who earns a doctorate degree deserves to use that as a title and not be considered to be "inflating" oneself.  Some people slave longer as students getting a PhD than "doctors" do in med school.  If I spent 8 years after undergrad in grad school you can bet I'm going to call myself Doctor!  (I'm not, by the way, and neither is the doctor in my initial post.)  Some PhDs in academia will one day go on to be professors and will prefer to be called doctor. 

And no one seemed to catch my "Lost" reference...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dreamer-6-19. Show Dreamer-6-19's posts

haha I LOVE Sawyer!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

In Response to Re: She's a doctor, he's not... : I think anyone who earns a doctorate degree deserves to use that as a title and not be considered to be "inflating" oneself.  Some people slave longer as students getting a PhD than "doctors" do in med school.  If I spent 8 years after undergrad in grad school you can bet I'm going to call myself Doctor!  (I'm not, by the way, and neither is the doctor in my initial post.)  Some PhDs in academia will one day go on to be professors and will prefer to be called doctor.  And no one seemed to catch my "Lost" reference...
    Posted by LilSprout

Lil
    Just read this and I get the Lost reference...man am I going to miss that show!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

And no one seemed to catch my "Lost" reference...
    Posted by LilSprout

Lost references make me tear up a bit, so I choose to ignore them when I'm at work.  Cry

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

How did we all miss that Sprout?!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from randy07. Show randy07's posts

Of course it's appropriate to use the title Dr. in academia! It's the social usage that is questionable.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

My email signature at work is Friar Girl, MBA and I hate it. It feels so pretentious to me! Before I got there, my pompous coworker added ", MBA" to his email signature and I wasn't about to let him get the attention for the same degree I have. I never would have put it in there if he didn't. I don't think that knowing I have an MBA is going to make anyone think better of me. I'd rather have my work speak for me than my degree.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

My e-mail signature actually doesn't say "Esq.," because it's a sign of respect.  You should use it to refer to others, but it's not appropriate to use it to refer to yourself, unless, say, you're signing court pleadings or something where you need to be a lawyer.

But, generally, I don't see anything wrong with using titles that you have earned.  It really irks me that it is OK to tout all kinds of sports acheivements and physical accomplishments, that beauty is praised (right, because being born good-looking is really tough work), but people are expected to downplay their intelligence or they're seen as "pompous" or "smug."  You know why that is? Because the people who make the rules aren't very intelligent, and they want to make the rest of us feel bad.  Yell

Ok.  I'm done.  Sorry. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I agree Lucy!  I had an epiphany back in high school...  There was this guy in chorus who was very talented and also very bright.  People (including me) would get annoyed with him for randomly singing or being the loudest.  One day I thought to myself, So what??  Why should he have to bring himself down to our level when he really is more talented?   Why should he have to reign himself in?  (There definitely does get to be a point where it's too much, but a small amount of so-called showing off is ok :o)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

It took me a little longer.  About halfway through college, I realized that I shouldn't have to pretend to be stupid so men would like me.

Then, I didn't date for a very, very long time.  Frown

Sections
Shortcuts