Shower Gift Suggestions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

Shower Gift Suggestions

One of my friends is getting married in a very small ceremony next month (only immediate family is invited).  I received an invitation to a surprise bridal shower for her, being thrown by someone I don't know.  I will be attending, but am at a loss for a gift.  They are not registered anywhere, and when I asked the host of the shower if she had any suggestions, she said no, sorry she doesn't have any.  I don't want to show up empty-handed, but can't think of anything.  They have lived together for 4 years now and have most household things.  Anyone have any ideas?  The shower is this weekend, so I don't have a lot of time.  Thanks! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Re: Shower Gift Suggestions

Cookbooks, decorative plates, vase, cool picture/painting, etc.

There is so much more to think of that could be decorative. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

How about some nice martini, margarita, or champagne glasses.  Whichever you decide to go with you can either put some mixers, salts, champagne in a basket with them. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

You can always get her a gift card to BB&B.
    I find quality cotton white towels are always a nice gift, as they're so soft and white goes with everything.
    If she likes to cook there are some really cute aprons on Etsy.com, I never considered buying an apron, but I got one for my birthday. It's so nice to get home and cook and not have to worry about getting food or sauce on my clothes.
    The patterns are fun too, so you don't feel like a dork wearing one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Lingerie for the honeymoon!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from HTuck. Show HTuck's posts

Do they have an outdoor patio type? If so - maybe a grilling basked with fun grilling tools, spices and a cookbook?  Patio "dishware" - people often don't think to register for this type of stuff, but they come in handy and are not always cheap.  What about a fun picnic basket - they have them at macy's all put together with wine glasses, blanket and everything!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbb. Show bbb's posts

Do they have an outdoor patio type? If so - maybe a grilling basked with fun grilling tools, spices and a cookbook?  Patio "dishware" - people often don't think to register for this type of stuff, but they come in handy and are not always cheap.  What about a fun picnic basket - they have them at macy's all put together with wine glasses, blanket and everything!
    Posted by HTuck

One of my favorite shower gifts was similar to the above mentioned post.  My husbands cousin gave us a cooler on wheels, filled with two beach towels, two beach chairs, a grill cookbook, a bottle of wine, and a six pack of good beer.  It was great!  And, we use the cooler and chairs all the time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kate533. Show kate533's posts

I think a picnic basket with a bottle of wine is a great gift. I actually wanted to register for one but couldn't find a nice one at macys or Crate and Barrel.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You have gotten great suggestions here - whatever you pick won't be wrong.  Your OP says you "don't want to come empty handed, but...," but bringing nothing because you can't think of a "perfect" gift would be the only bad choice you could make.

I cook a LOT.  The cookbook I've routinely used for over 10 years is Joy of Cooking (Irma S. Rombauer, et al).  At first, I went to it almost every day for the basic techniques of cooking "regular," everyday food; it breaks everything down to uncomplicated steps and is illustrated in a helpful, not artsy, way.  It covers everything from corn on the cob to the fanciest of entres.  It has sections like "How to know when fish is done."  Even now, I find I learn something useful every time I use it.  It's not at all intimidating; am I the only one that finds some cookbooks scary?

I also enjoy The Gourmet Cookbook (Ruth Reichl).  It is also easy to follow and makes gourmet cooking fun and simple.

I gave away all my other cookbooks (probably 10) when I moved in with DH. :)

~kar

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

A nice cook book if they are that way inclined.
    A love the idea of a picnic basket, with blanket, bottle of wine.
    Nice towels are always a good option.

My only other advice - steer clear of vases.  We specifically said no gifts for our wedding (had lived together for two years, and "out of home" for about 5 years each before that, so really didn't need or want anything), some people felt they should still bring something and I can't tell you how many vases we now have sitting in the top of a closet that all go unused!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshinemrs. Show sunshinemrs's posts

Admittedly, this one can be a bit cheesy but depending on the bride - she may like it.  It is a basket of candles to be lit at different points during their marriage with a poem....

A basket of candles that come in a pair
    In all different colors, for you two to share
    The white ones burn first
    They are wrapped in white lace
    To celebrate your first married night
    In your new chosen place.
    The green pair is taller, and also much thinner
    Burn with the first company you have over for dinner
    The dark blue candles are for after your first fight
    Use them to burn while making up all night
    Pink candles set the mood and pave the way
    For your first married Valentine's Day
    Now, when your first year of marriage is through
    the cream anniversary pair will light for you two.
    Red candles aflame, both your futures are bright
    Celebrate promotions you've worked toward with all of your might.
    By this time we hope, maybe, just maybe
    You can light the purple ones, on the birth of your baby.
    And just when you thought you'd put these away
    Take the light blue ones out for your fifth anniversary day.
    Now just one more pair left for the big 25
    The anniversary pair that will keep your love alive.
    Congratulations bride and groom (enter names)
    On the start of your forever
    May the two of you always be happy together
    And burn these candles
    Just the way we said
    But please don't forget - blow them out before bed!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GK2bwed. Show GK2bwed's posts

A neat gift we got at our engagement time was a bottle of grey goose. It was nice to have something different than the usual bottle of wine. Plus it was something we would not have necessarily bought ourselves. It is a good way to get a liquor cabinet started for them. Of course, our bottle is already gone!

Or what about a subscription to a magazine like Real Simple or Cooking Light?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

A very good idea, if you know they'll appreciate a fine port or liquor, then it makes a great gift. Especially since they can use it to celebrate on many different occasions, unlike wine or champagne where you have to finish the bottle the same day you open it.

A neat gift we got at our engagement time was a bottle of grey goose. It was nice to have something different than the usual bottle of wine. Plus it was something we would not have necessarily bought ourselves. It is a good way to get a liquor cabinet started for them. Of course, our bottle is already gone! Or what about a subscription to a magazine like Real Simple or Cooking Light?
    Posted by GK2bwed

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nell98. Show nell98's posts

Another idea is a tray of some kind. It's the sort of thing you never think to buy for yourself, but is so useful!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from booklover. Show booklover's posts

Conceivably you know your friend and her taste, and whether she likes to cook.  So in addition to the cookbooks you might get her, for example, a "theme" basket to go along with the cookbook - such as a basket on pies (I did this for a friend who loves to bake).  I gave her a basket with a pie plate, pie server, apron, oven mitts and four pie recipes tied up with a bow.

Other posters' ideas are great.  If I were giving that bottle of Grey Goose, I might also include a bartender's guide, some martini glasses, and maybe a jar of olives.  Get creative!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

What is the saying? "You don' t need to invite everyone you invite to your wedding - to your shower. But everyone you invite to your shower MUST be invited to your wedding."
    Ha! Looks like that went wayward.
    As far as shower gifts, there are plenty. Not necessary you give Waterford crystals. Something casual - like TY notes printed w/ their return addy and a pen engraved w/ the bride' s name would be nice. A picnic basket w/ a bottle of wine  and a few homemade goodies. A basket w/ everything (sans the meat) for a backyard BBQ - including invites. I could go on and on. A shower is just a get-together for friends to have a good time before the girl go off to the married section. I know, some think differently - a time to grab gifts. - Me, not so.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Txgrl82. Show Txgrl82's posts

[QUOTE]Admittedly, this one can be a bit cheesy but depending on the bride - she may like it.  It is a basket of candles to be lit at different points during their marriage with a poem....

I LOVE this sunshine, and I don't think it's cheesy at all...I just teared up reading it! (I'm a sap though, and I'm pregnant on top of it, so maybe that's why Wink)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from teacherinmass. Show teacherinmass's posts

How about a gift certificate to spa? For her to relax before the wedding?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

In Response to Re: Shower Gift Suggestions:
    How about a gift certificate to spa? For her to relax before the wedding?
    Posted by teacherinmass

I love that idea. I gave that to a friend for her shower and she loved it! I got her a 90 minute Swedish massage. She told me it was a nice alternative to another thing for her house.

Sections
Shortcuts