Shower Hostess Gifts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

Shower Hostess Gifts

Hi, ladies! 

Some of my bridesmaids are hosting a shower for me this weekend.  I am so grateful, not to mention excited to see lots of friends and family! 

Just wondering if I should give the hostesses gifts of thanks at the shower (on the sly, not in front of everyone) or at a later date.  Don't want to go unprepared, but if I have a little longer to find something good, I'll be relieved.  :)  That said, is there anything I should know about gifts like this?  Is a typical hostess gift (say, wine) appropriate? 

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Shower Hostess Gifts

The person/people throwing the shower (your bridesmaids) are on the hook for the hostess gift, not the guest of honor.  Have fun!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from booklover. Show booklover's posts

Kar, she is the guest of honor and it sounds as though the bridesmaids ARE the hostesses - am I right, Rirlo01?  The day after my shower, I sent a big bouquet of flowers to my maid of honor (the hostess of mine).  I'm thinking a heartfelt card sent right away to each of them would be fine, since there are a few.  I've been a bridesmaid several times and participated in hosting showers and I was always thrilled to receive a card from the bride letting me know how appreciative she was (as opposed to getting the regular thank you along with all the guests).

Hope you have fun!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

My BMs threw my shower (at my house, surprise!!), so I was a bit unprepared for it.  :)  I sent them very personal thank you cards after the shower and then of course got them thank you gifts for the wedding.  So I guess I didn't do a real hostess gift.  Ooops?

I have also helped throw showers in the past for my friends, and they never gave me a separate hostess gift for the shower (just a thank you and gift at the RD).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I've never given hostess gifts for my showers.  I've also never received a hostess gift for hosting a shower.  I don't think a gift is necessary, but a thank-you note definitely is!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I agree w/ Poppy.  Gifts are not required for the hostess, but a thank you is. I've never given nor gotten a gift for hosting a shower.  It's not a regular party where you bring a gift for the hostess as a thank you.  The shower itself is a gift from the hostess - so why would you give a gift in return?  You send a written thank you just like you would for any other gift. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

You've got it, Booklover.  And if most everyone thinks thank-you notes and then the gifts I am giving them later, anyway, are sufficient, I am happy to roll with that.  Thank you all for the advice!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, I thought she meant a gift for the person physically hosting the shindig.  Oops.

I wrote a thank you note to the two people that threw my shower.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I agree that a thank you note is gift enough.  I think in our culture we tend to think that a favor must be repaid, but sometimes you should just accept gratefully.  You'll throw their showers when it's their turn :o)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Thank you notes are a must.  

I sent my MOH flowers after my "not a shower" as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

Oh, thank you notes have been part of the plan all along!  No worries there.  :)  Just wanted to know if gifts for hosting the shower were necessary in addition to the gifts I'll be giving them for being party of the wedding.  Sounds like some people have gone that route while others have not.  Thanks again for all the input!  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I think we have become a culture of gift-giving worrying not to be proper. Who led us to that? All those internet web sites (bridals especially) catering to the vendors, who pay them for advertisements.
    A TY note is more than enough. People give you showers and parties b/c they want to - not to get a gift. I have been the hostess of such several times. I have received gifts - and they made me feel uncomfortable. I have also received heartfelt TY notes, that made me happy. Those were the best.
    One poster mentioned flowers. I have received those, and I enjoyed those a lot more, even though they did not lasted as long as some of the gifts, I received.
    Rirlo, your shower must be over by now. I hope you enjoyed it - Pingo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

In Response to Re: Shower Hostess Gifts:
    [QUOTE]Rirlo, your shower must be over by now. I hope you enjoyed it - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Pingo!  It was amazing.  Thank-you notes are in the works, and I'm still overwhelmed by how loved I feel and how generous everyone was to my FI and me. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

congrats on your shower!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

In Response to Re: Shower Hostess Gifts:
    [QUOTE]congrats on your shower!
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

Thanks, PK!