Somewhat OT

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Somewhat OT

Have you guys read love letters today about the girl who isn't sure if she should go to a wedding that her ex will be attending?

I am only halfway through the comments and so many people have posted how they think it is rude to be invited to a wedding as a single person without a guest.  There is also one guy who says he never RSVPs.  It's still surprising how many people don't understand wedding etiquette. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Re: Somewhat OT

I never even bother with love letters anymore, it's such a free for all. I read meredith's advice and then leave it at that.

I guess people just aren't as independent as they used to be. I correlate this with people who go the bathroom in pairs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Ha!

I never comment and only read the comments on a VERY boring day.  I was just surprised by how many people made that comment.  Some also said "I don't know why people don't invite everyone with a guest anymore" as if it used to be the norm/proper etiquette.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I am very sad for her that she feels she cannot attend a wedding because someone she dated several years ago is in the wedding party.  It's not like they broke up last week because she found out he's married to a goat and the goat will be there.

But, to the original point - I find that life is easier if you don't allow yourself to be surprised by how rude people are.  Like, for example, when I discovered last night that my roommate stole my full tube of toothpaste, I wasn't surprised at all.  Irritated, yes.  Yell

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

BTW, I agree with Meredith that it's better to run into him when you're expecting than, say, when you run out to CVS at 2 am to buy tampons wearing dingy sweatpants, hair in a messy bun, with spinach stuck in your teeth (or whatever).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

dkb- well I think that people forget that a decade or two ago, most wedding guests weren't single, because that was back when the majority of people still got married young. it was also when most wedding receptions happened at a local hall and didn't cost nearly as much as they do now.

lucy- your roommate baffles me! they shound like some sort of social experiment gone awry.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

LOL Lucy! that's exactly why I heed what my grandmother always said "look at yourself before you go anywhere, you never know who you're going to run into."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

She probably ran out of cream cheese for her doritos and toothpaste was the next best thing.

I don't know why anything surprises me anymore, but it does.  I am still amazed that the guy who sits next to me can dress himself in the morning.  On that note, I think I am going to start a blog entitled "stupid people who somehow make a lot of money."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: Somewhat OT:
    She probably ran out of cream cheese for her doritos and toothpaste was the next best thing.
    Posted by dkb6248

Oh!  See, I'm sure that was it, because she also ate all of our other roommate's jelly, and, naturally, doritos with toothpaste and jelly is the perfect midnight snack.

Seriously, every thing she eats would send me racing for the bathroom.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

dkb- some people are like savants. they do one thing really well and in all other aspects of life they are totally awkward and/or useless.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

dkb- some people are like savants. they do one thing really well and in all other aspects of life they are totally awkward and/or useless.
    Posted by pinkkittie27

Like Rainman.  Or our cat, who this morning demonstrated that, despite being the dumbest creature alive, she figured out how to climb up a kitchen chair and unlatch the basement door so she could open it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

LOL precisely.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

She probably ran out of cream cheese for her doritos and toothpaste was the next best thing. I don't know why anything surprises me anymore, but it does.  I am still amazed that the guy who sits next to me can dress himself in the morning.  On that note, I think I am going to start a blog entitled "stupid people who somehow make a lot of money."
    Posted by dkb6248

I'd like to read that blog dkb lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Love letters is such a cluster fk that I can't read it. The dumbest, most ignorant people in the city are converging on the same internet continuum and their stupid atoms are knocking against each other so hard that there might be another Big Bang. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

WPP- that is the best description of that blog. it used to be tolerable when it was in the old commenting format where everythign was on oen page and you just scrolled down. I can't do the surf-through-the-pages-of-comments thing. Plus, by the 50th comment, everything that could possibly be said on the topic has been said.
    I also find it incredible that the advice is 8/10 "dump him/her", the commenters are incredibly cynical.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Love letters is such a cluster fk that I can't read it. The dumbest, most ignorant people in the city are converging on the same internet continuum and their stupid atoms are knocking against each other so hard that there might be another Big Bang. 
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease

That really is a perfect description! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sher. Show sher's posts

haha, WPP! I read the letter MG's advice and very occasionally will read the first few comments. i think i tried once to go to page 2 and it was a pretty mind numbing experience.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

the chats are similarly unreadable. it's undermoderated, the lunatics are running the asylum.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

On being fine in one domain and totally dysfunctional in others:
         A Masters level staff where I work just had at least the 4th astonishingly stupid episode in the few months I've known her.

When I pulled in to park, she was sitting in a car I haven't seen before, crying.  So I walked around to see what was wrong.

She parked her roommate's car, went in to work, and got a message a time on a meeting had been earlier.  So she got into the car,  only to find "I can't back up."  Tears. Why not, I asked.  She just snuffled more.

So I said, I'll step back, try again,  maybe there is an anti-theft kill switch.    She said, it's not that,  there is no back up gear.

HUH?

So pointing to the shift stick, she said I drive an automatic, and it has a B for backup,  it goes Park, Back-up, Drive 1 Drive 2, and this car doesn't have a B for back-UP.

How to not sound insulting when saying,  It's right there,  see, just past the drive gears,  it says, RN.  She actually said,  well my roommate is a nurse.

No (STUPID) that means move to the side here (show her) for Reverse, that's the R, and back this way to N for Neutral,  before pushing to a drive gear.   She looked like a lost kid in the woods.  Not Back-up?
        No, when your car gets back from the shop, I bet you'll see it says R for Reverse  too, Not B for back-Up.  Most cars do.
        Such effusive thanks,  you'd think I changed 4 flat tires for her.

My Dad and Mom have an old report card of 1 sister's from elementary school,  where the sole comment, every single quarter, was,   Bright, but lacks common sense.

Sis ain't the only one.   [Where is Bill Engvall to say,  here's your sign.]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Wait... how could you think your car had a B gear??

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Wag that story is too much.  I actually work with several people who are brilliant at their job, but when it comes to everything else they are helpless.

We had a client visit our office and asked to use the restroom.  Our bathrooms are locked and you have to enter a passcode to get in.  The keypad looks just like they keypad on a phone. I told her the passcode was 246.  The passcode has been the same for decades, so the paint on those numbers has worn off, so it looks something like this:

1_3
    _5_

She came back and said she couldn't get in because there is no 2,4 or 6.  When I realized she wasn't kidding, I told her to press the buttons where clearly the 2,4 and 6 should be, that they have just worn off.  This woman manages million dollar investments but couldn't figure this out. 

The guy I sit next to doesn't fall into the brilliant but no common sense category.  He is more of a Michael Scott. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Hahaha, dkb and Wag! I love watching stupid people navigate the world. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

One of my co-workers didn't know you have to pee on a pregnancy test... I really wish I had asked her what she thought you did!!!!  Now it's way too late to bring it up again.
    Now I realize that not everyone has taken a test, but I knew it simply because I live, you know, on this planet.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

One of my co-workers didn't know you have to pee on a pregnancy test... I really wish I had asked her what she thought you did!!!!  Now it's way too late to bring it up again. Now I realize that not everyone has taken a test, but I knew it simply because I live, you know, on this planet.
    Posted by framerican51008

Also, I'm no expert, but I imagine that a pregnancy test would come with directions?  I mean, if the owner's manual of my car tells me not to drive while sticking my head out the sunroof....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

dkb, that's very disheartening.  She actually thought there was no 2, 4, or 6???  She's a complete idiot.  She didn't even look mortified when you let her in on the secret?  I'd be so embarrassed, but, then again, I'd hope not to be in that confounded state to begin with.