Somewhat OT

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

Re: Somewhat OT

I thought that letter was really sad.  This person is obviously having some issues with her current status in life.  This relationship was so long ago that this man has married and now has two children.  The man and the letter writer broke up because it wasn't working out, yet she is so afraid to see him that she can't go to a friend's wedding.  Very sad indeed.

And dear DKB, people's actions and ideas on this no longer surprise me!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

In Response to Re: Somewhat OT:
    Wag that story is too much.  I actually work with several people who are brilliant at their job, but when it comes to everything else they are helpless. We had a client visit our office and asked to use the restroom.  Our bathrooms are locked and you have to enter a passcode to get in.  The keypad looks just like they keypad on a phone. I told her the passcode was 246.  The passcode has been the same for decades, so the paint on those numbers has worn off, so it looks something like this: 1_3 _5_ 789 She came back and said she couldn't get in because there is no 2,4 or 6.  When I realized she wasn't kidding, I told her to press the buttons where clearly the 2,4 and 6 should be, that they have just worn off.  This woman manages million dollar investments but couldn't figure this out.  The guy I sit next to doesn't fall into the brilliant but no common sense category.  He is more of a Michael Scott. 
    Posted by dkb6248

dkb,  what a scream!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

oh, fram! that's hilarious. she must have lived under a rock!

and speaking of stupid animals...
    my cat lit herself on fire on Friday. I lit candles because my BIL was coming over, and she jumped up where they were and stood over them for a few seconds, and then she went up like a dry Christmas tree!
    I was on the phone with my mom chatting and then screamed "Oh my God the cat's on fire!!" hung up, and rushed over. The cat, sensing something was wrong by this point, jumped down and the jumping put out the flames. She was miraculously unharmed other than her pride. She now looks like a drunk took a set of clippers to her and smells faintly of burnt popcron.
    My apartment reeked of singed fur for hours. I opened up all the windows, but I couldn't bear to re-light the scented candle!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, my word, Pinkkie, that's hysterical (since the cat was unharmed, of course)!!!  I can just picture it...you tell a good story.

P.S.  And, yeah, the OP story was very sad. Divorces and all cause this situation to occur all the time, and people go, are at least cordial, and life goes on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

thanks, Kar. It wasn't funny at the time, but now whenever I tell someone the story, I can't help but laugh. The look on the cat's face was like one of those old Bugs Bunny cartoons. "Hmmm... something's burning... OHMYGODITSME!"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Love the cartoon analogy!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Ok, DKB and Wag, your stories actually make feel better about the fact that I frequently walk into walls and/or furniture.  Embarassed

In high school, my friend and I told people that we had a condition, called "Too smart to function in reality."  This condition was confirmed the day we tried to shake candy loose from the vending machine by tilting it toward us (at 5'2 and about 100 lbs each), instead of toward the wall.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

don't feel bad, Lucy.
    I graze door jams all the time. I have very little depth perception due to an eye problem. One time I thought a cardboard cutout was a real person.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ooh, and I always, always, always have bruises just under my knee where I walk into the coffee table just about every day.  It's not a new table.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

My legs are usually covered with random bruises.  I never know where they came from.  I just don't wear shorts.  Generally, I tell people the cat beats me while I'm sleeping.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

ah, the mystery bruises. it's the curse of the pale-skinned.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Ok, DKB and Wag, your stories actually make feel better about the fact that I frequently walk into walls and/or furniture.  In high school, my friend and I told people that we had a condition, called "Too smart to function in reality."  This condition was confirmed the day we tried to shake candy loose from the vending machine by tilting it toward us (at 5'2 and about 100 lbs each), instead of toward the wall.
    Posted by lucy7368

When annoying people ask me why I have a college degree and work in retail, I tell them that I'm a high-functioning genius cast out by society. 

I mean, that's not true but it makes the obnoxious people stop talking. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

In Response to Re: Somewhat OT : When annoying people ask me why I have a college degree and work in retail, I tell them that I'm a high-functioning genius cast out by society.  I mean, that's not true but it makes the obnoxious people stop talking. 
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease

Now granted, you're choosing to work in retail but i think it's a stupid question anyway. If I don't have a job lined up when mine is over in June, you bet I'm going to work in retail or a part time job atleast. It's called income people. Do people not realize it's tough to find a job?

and as far as being a klutz...i fell my junior year on college on a patch of snow and I fell really hard. I ended up with a bruise twice the size of my hand and a welt the size of my fist. My roommates told me my walking privilages would be revoked if I wasn't careful. my mom has also decided my daughter should be named Grace :-)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: Somewhat OT : When annoying people ask me why I have a college degree and work in retail, I tell them that I'm a high-functioning genius cast out by society.  I mean, that's not true but it makes the obnoxious people stop talking. 
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease

Well, it's half true.  ;)

NL - When I was in college, I told people that the reason I walked into stuff was that I failed Remedial Walking 101.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Pink, I am killing myself laughing at work!  People must think I am nuts!  Reminds me of the scene in National Lampoons Christmas Vacation when the cat was eating the christmas tree lights. I couldn't stop laughing.  I have a pretty sick humor since I love my cats and dog, but for some reason picturing that is cracking me up! I need help... LOL!

oh, fram! that's hilarious. she must have lived under a rock! and speaking of stupid animals... my cat lit herself on fire on Friday. I lit candles because my BIL was coming over, and she jumped up where they were and stood over them for a few seconds, and then she went up like a dry Christmas tree! I was on the phone with my mom chatting and then screamed "Oh my God the cat's on fire!!" hung up, and rushed over. The cat, sensing something was wrong by this point, jumped down and the jumping put out the flames. She was miraculously unharmed other than her pride. She now looks like a drunk took a set of clippers to her and smells faintly of burnt popcron. My apartment reeked of singed fur for hours. I opened up all the windows, but I couldn't bear to re-light the scented candle!
    Posted by pinkkittie27

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I once put a collar with a bell on my late cat Maggie.  Well, when she took a step, the bell rang and it freaked her out, so she ran, which made the bell go off even more.  She would then stop, look all freaked out and then calm down.  But as soon as she walked the whole process would start over again.  I must confess I left it on her for a while : )  I still laugh thinking about it and hopefully she has forgiven my from rainbow heaven!  Told you I had sick humor : )  Oh, and yes I eventually took it off and threw it out.Sealed

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

it's only funny because the cat was totally oblivious about it for a few seconds, and because she wasn't hurt at all.
    the really funny part is that, if I were to put a candle on the floor, Max would steer clear of it because he instinctively recognizes fire. The cat seems to lack this same instinct.

Pink, I am killing myself laughing at work!  People must think I am nuts!  Reminds me of the scene in National Lampoons Christmas Vacation when the cat was eating the christmas tree lights. I couldn't stop laughing.  I have a pretty sick humor since I love my cats and dog, but for some reason picturing that is cracking me up! I need help... LOL! In Response to Re: Somewhat OT :
    Posted by ambergirl

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

That is what cracked me up the most was your cartoon description, that was great!  I throw a ball down my hallway for Amber at night and one of my cats Boo, will be in the hallway and just sit there.  It is not until the ball has been thrown and he is lucky I missed him, does he look and jump, like Oh Shoot, where did that come from???  And then runs.....  yup, they are a trip....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

it wasn't until I had this cat that I realized that cats are like people, there are stupid ones and smart ones, mean ones and nice ones, etc.
    This cat is very clumsy. Yet, she can catch mice.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

that's hilarious! One time we got a flea collar for the cat I had as a kid. He was trying to get it off with his back paws, and got a back paw stuck inside the collar. when he stumbled into the living room like that we all were laughing so hard we couldn't help him.

I once put a collar with a bell on my late cat Maggie.  Well, when she took a step, the bell rang and it freaked her out, so she ran, which made the bell go off even more.  She would then stop, look all freaked out and then calm down.  But as soon as she walked the whole process would start over again.  I must confess I left it on her for a while : )  I still laugh thinking about it and hopefully she has forgiven my from rainbow heaven!  Told you I had sick humor : )  Oh, and yes I eventually took it off and threw it out.
    Posted by ambergirl

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

My cat used to get his jaw stuck on his collar while bathing.  This happened more than once.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I am cracking up again at that story, I know people think I am crazy for sure now!  I wouldn't be able to help the cat either!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

LOL!

My cat used to get his jaw stuck on his collar while bathing.  This happened more than once.
    Posted by lucy7368

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

But, I have to say, the cat I have now is scary smart.  He once opened the back door, because he wanted to go outside and it wasn't locked (it's always locked NOW). When one of the other cats is making noise, I say, "Go tell him to shut up."  The cat looks at me, gets up, and trots down the hall to the other cat (who, for whatever reason, stops making noise).  One day, I was talking to my SO, and I said something like, "You're the best looking guy I know."  That cat glared at me for 8 minutes.  Finally, I said, "And Kitty is the best looking CAT I know!"  He put his head down and went back to sleep.

In fact, my roommate once had a 10 minute conversation with our neighbor in which the neighbor repeatedly insisted that what we have is a tiny, diabolical human in a cat's body.  Cool

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Love those stories Lucy : )  I had a black cat named Bandit who was the same way.  Scary smart...  woke me up a couple of times in the morning by sitting on the kitchen counter and putting her paw on the can opener.  She wanted to eat early. 5:00am mind you...  I had to leave it unplugged.  My cousin came over one time and she hates cats.  So when she was sitting on the couch, bandit jumped up the side of the couch and just stared at her.  Well she screamed and Bandit kept doing it....  yes I had a diabolical cat too, but made for some funny times : )  Amazing how each animal has such a distinct personality.  I have stories for all my animals.  Some smart, dumb and just plain cute.