Somewhat OT

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Somewhat OT

These stories are awesome!  :D

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

lucy- that is a little scary! my cat can't even grasp the concept of "no!"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Well, he can't grasp the concept of "Move over, you're taking up the entire bed," but he gets pretty much everything else... He's not a big fan of "No," either.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Pink!  That story is hilarious!  I am so glad your kitty is okay.

I love candles.  I had to switch from the open candles to the big yankee candles in the jars because DH set our coffee table on fire once.  I had this nice tiered candle display on our coffee table and DH was eating takeout.  He wasn't paying attention and the paper bag that his food came in was way too close to the flame and caught on fire.  I walk in the room and he is staring at the TV in a trance and the table is on fire a foot in front of his face.  I started screaming and he just looked at me like I was crazy.  He finally put it out and then got mad at me because I screamed.  Um, sorry but a fire is something that naturally can provoke a screaming reaction.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

dkb - MEN!  My DH is the same way.  Our dog has a bedtime look and behavior, and when I see it I do the same thing every night.  I tell her, "Let's go out and go pee, and then we'll go to bed."  I get up from the TV, let her out the back (10 ft to the right of the TV), bring her in, give her a treat, and tell her, "Time for bed."  She hops in her crate, I fill her crate water dish (kitchen is open to living room), give her a treat for going, say, "Good night, Honey, sleep tight!"  All this is within feet of DH.  A commercial will come on, he'll survey the room and say, "Where's the dog?"  EVERY NIGHT.  Not quite as dramatic as a fire, but, hey it's every night.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

LOL!

He's now trying to tell me that we need 2 TV (50") mounted on the wall in the living room, you know, for sporting events.  There is a slit screen option on the TV so he can watch 2 or more games at once, but he says it's not the same.  Not gonna happen.  First of all I think that would look ridiculous and second of all he will be twice as distracted and I'd be afraid to leave him alone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

LOL dkb! that's hysterical!

DH has a habit of announcing "Oh no! I can't find my keys/wallet/cellphone/jacket" before he's even looked for them. And whatever he's looking for is usually right in front of his face.
    We sometimes stream Netflix on our TV with the laptop. I can't count the number fo times we've been streaming a movie, and then he'll say "Where's the computer?"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: Somewhat OT:
    I had to switch from the open candles to the big yankee candles in the jars because DH set our coffee table on fire once. . . .He finally put it out and then got mad at me because I screamed.  Um, sorry but a fire is something that naturally can provoke a screaming reaction.
    Posted by dkb6248

I am not laughing.  It's not funny.  But I'm glad he was OK.

My roommate used to come in when we were going to watch TV and light 32 tealights scattered around the room before we could start (and she would, naturally, start lighting 10 minutes after the show started).  However, there was a point during the 2008 election that one of the commercials (or perhaps a debate) caused me to throw a pillow at the TV... knocking the candles over and very nearly starting a fire.  We had to stop using them until the election ended, and by that time, we didn't really watch TV together anymore (not because of that).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Which roommate?  If it's the crazy one, I would be afraid her breath around a lit flame would start a blaze.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Which roommate?  If it's the crazy one, I would be afraid her breath around a lit flame would start a blaze.
    Posted by dkb6248

It is the crazy one.  That's why we don't watch TV together anymore.

One time, she lit all the candles, turned out the lights, handed everyone a glass of wine, and left the room (she never came back).  My other roommate said, "Well, it was awfully sweet of her to bring out all the romance so we could watch Beverly Hills, 90210."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Lucy, I have to say I love your humor and the way you write : )  You crack me up!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Thank you!  That one really wasn't me, though.  I didn't notice how romantic the room was until my other roommate said something about it. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal1124. Show mezzogal1124's posts

lucy- that is a little scary! my cat can't even grasp the concept of "no!"
    Posted by pinkkittie27

Buddy, my parents' cat, can understand a few English phrases.  They've had to resort to saying certain things in Greek in his presence because he was already wise to the English!  For example, he understands the words "treat" and "food," even if they're out of context.  Once I said something like "What a treat!" in front of Buddy and he immediately ran to the cupboard where they keep his treats and looked at me forlornly, like, "Where's my food?"

Also, Buddy's treats come in a vaccum-sealed pouch, and he seems to think that any vaccum-sealed pouch contains treats.  Once, my mother left a bag of prunes on the counter.  Big mistake.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Mezz, that is so funny!!  I know both my cats and my dog knows english, my cats know the word "supper" and come. I suspect they know more, but don't want the dog to know....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

My dog knows the words and phrases: "food" "cookie" "treat" "hungry" and "do you want some?"
    it's very hard to bring up the subject of eating at all without him getting really excitied

Response to Re: Somewhat OT:
    In Response to Re: Somewhat OT : Buddy, my parents' cat, can understand a few English phrases.  They've had to resort to saying certain things in Greek in his presence because he was already wise to the English!  For example, he understands the words "treat" and "food," even if they're out of context.  Once I said something like "What a treat!" in front of Buddy and he immediately ran to the cupboard where they keep his treats and looked at me forlornly, like, "Where's my food?" Also, Buddy's treats come in a vaccum-sealed pouch, and he seems to think that any vaccum-sealed pouch contains treats.  Once, my mother left a bag of prunes on the counter.  Big mistake.
    Posted by mezzogal1124

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Amber knows a ton of words too Pink.  If I am on the phone and mention my daughters name, she runs to the door thinking she is home.  She knows all the food phrases and let's go to bed.  When I say that, she runs to the deck door to go out to the bathroom first.  She also knows all her toys.  I would love if they could talk to us : )  And my cats actually know words too, but being independant they don't always pay attention or care I suspect...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

yes, I've found talking to Max so much has made it so that he understand too much of what I'm saying. Although the phrase "Almost there." has become really helpful on trips. He knows he can sleep until I tell him we're almost there.

Amber knows a ton of words too Pink.  If I am on the phone and mention my daughters name, she runs to the door thinking she is home.  She knows all the food phrases and let's go to bed.  When I say that, she runs to the deck door to go out to the bathroom first.  She also knows all her toys.  I would love if they could talk to us : )  And my cats actually know words too, but being independant they don't always pay attention or care I suspect...
    Posted by ambergirl

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

You girls are great!  I love reading your pet stories, it is cathartic.  And it reminds me of my quirky beagles, who also crack me up.  Now I don't feel I'll have to bite the head off the next person who walks into my cube with a mind-numbingly dumb question!
    You ladies may have saved a life today!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

My guinea pig is pretty smart and he knows:
    --his name
    --his nickname
    --"Do you want a carrot?"
    --"Do you want to come out?"
    --"Do you want to watch HGTV with me?"
    And when he has to pee, he tugs on the sweatshirt I wear when I hold him to let me know he has to go back to his cage. He's smarter than a lot of people I know. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I just love all those pet stories. Pets are a lot smarter than we think.
    I have one, which is not really mine, but it was kind of funny at the time.
    One of my co-worker offered to dog sit for a friend's two puppies, while they went back to France to visit their family for 3 weeks.
    It was a disaster at first, b/c the dogs only knew French.  She called some language school in Cambridge, and found a person, that was willing to come to her home to teach her some French dog commands. When the parents came back, she was a pro.
    Several months later another co-worker, that had heard, she was a good dogsitter asked her to sit for her dog for a few weeks. But this time she said,"No!" - The co-worker was Chinese.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ha, Pingo!  That's a good argument for hand signals. :)

WPP, I didn't know Guinea pigs had that much capacity for communication!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

"Do you want to watch HGTV with me?" 
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease

OMG that's GREAT!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Yeah, guinea pigs are a lot smarter than you would think! It's funny to watch him and the dogs, too. They'll go nose-to-nose through his cage and then the guinea pig will lick the dogs' faces through the bars! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

My elderly next door neighbor who I call the animal whisperer, had a parakeet she rescued named Chico.  She told me one day it talked and I thought she was crazy. I told her I had Cockatiels many years ago and all I could get them to do was whistle.  So she invites me in her house and unbelievably the parakeet talked!!  I guess she talked to him everyday so he picked up words.  He said her name and her husbands name while I was there. She also has a cat Mindy that is 18 years old and has never visited a vet and never bothered the bird either.  Chico passed away last year and is buried in her yard but I am always amazed at her ways with animals.  She has a squirrel Buddy who comes to her door for peanuts and crackers.  Animals know the good ones : )

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

OMG! I had a guinea pig, and she didn't understand anything. Your little guy is clearly something special.

My guinea pig is pretty smart and he knows: --his name --his nickname --"Do you want a carrot?" --"Do you want to come out?" --"Do you want to watch HGTV with me?" And when he has to pee, he tugs on the sweatshirt I wear when I hold him to let me know he has to go back to his cage. He's smarter than a lot of people I know. 
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease

Sections
Shortcuts