Somewhat OT

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Re: Somewhat OT

my best friend's grandmother had a parakeet that could talk. it said "whatcha doin'?" and "pretty bird"
    birds are very impressive animals.

In Response to Re: Somewhat OT:
    My elderly next door neighbor who I call the animal whisperer, had a parakeet she rescued named Chico.  She told me one day it talked and I thought she was crazy. I told her I had Cockatiels many years ago and all I could get them to do was whistle.  So she invites me in her house and unbelievably the parakeet talked!!  I guess she talked to him everyday so he picked up words.  He said her name and her husbands name while I was there. She also has a cat Mindy that is 18 years old and has never visited a vet and never bothered the bird either.  Chico passed away last year and is buried in her yard but I am always amazed at her ways with animals.  She has a squirrel Buddy who comes to her door for peanuts and crackers.  Animals know the good ones : )
    Posted by ambergirl

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Your right Pink, birds are amazing.  I loved my cockatiels and was heartbroken when I had to give them up.  The baby named Lucky, would whistle and I would whistle back and he would fly to me and sit on my shoulder while I cleaned.  Adorable...  but I did not know parakeets could talk!  Now I know!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

My nephew had a "talking" parakeet once. It was a very cute bird, but talk she could not. No one except my nephew would understand, what she would say. I guess, it was just like mothers and baby talk. They understand their babies - no one else does.

Once she escaped. Being tame, they left her out of her cage often. One day my BIL opened the door to go to work. Out she flew to the free world. Posters were set up everywhere. Lots of phone calls were made. No sign of her, until a very alert veterinarian - several weeks later - had to check a bird, someone brought in. She recognized the signs of the missing bird, and called my nephew. He went to the address given to him - an hour drive away - rang the bell and asked for his bird.
    The lady, who opened the door told him, they did not have a bird like that. But her husband invited him in, and he saw his bird going completely crazy in a cage - flying up and down, saying his name over and over again. He asked them to please let the bird out - and immediately she flew to sit on his shoulder pecking him joyfully.
    They had bought the bird from a reputable??? store, but when they saw the love btw. my nephew and the bird, they immediately gave up the bird. Happy ending, but I guess talking birds are a commodity.
    Unfortunately, she has since died, but she wa a lot of fun and a loving bird, while she lived.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Great story Pingo!  Very alert vet for sure.  What was amazing with my neighbor, is I distinctly heard the bird say her name and her husbands.  I loved my cockatiels and tried forever to get them to talk but never could. I always say once my present animals are gone, I would def do a bird.  I cannot bear to get attached to a cat or dog again to lose them.  Getting too old for that. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

pingo- that's incredible! truth is stranger than fiction.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Yeah, guinea pigs are a lot smarter than you would think! It's funny to watch him and the dogs, too. They'll go nose-to-nose through his cage and then the guinea pig will lick the dogs' faces through the bars! 
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease

Wow WWP - my first piggy was smarter than I expected, too.  He gave me warnings during snuggle time.  And if he was on the floor, he would always "go" in this 1 corner, so I started putting a cage litter pan there & I could leave him out for hours without worry for the carpet. 
    But the dogs... I don't think he would have been that brave!
    Guinea pigs can be such under-rated little guys!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

In Response to Re: Somewhat OT : Wow WWP - my first piggy was smarter than I expected, too.  He gave me warnings during snuggle time.  And if he was on the floor, he would always "go" in this 1 corner, so I started putting a cage litter pan there & I could leave him out for hours without worry for the carpet.  But the dogs... I don't think he would have been that brave! Guinea pigs can be such under-rated little guys!
    Posted by tibird

Yeah, I read that they like to do their business in one place, so they're easy to potty train. Was your piggy pretty vocal too? My guy's cage is in a central area of the house, and he's always running around outside his house and talking to us. If he's really in the mood for a carrot, he'll climb his bars and do a really loud "WHEEK! WHEEK!"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

you're making me really want a guinea pig whirled :-)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

My cat would be V-E-R-Y happy if I got a guinea pig.... so I'm thinking I won't.  Also no bunnies, mice, gerbils, chipmunks, or squirrels.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I love the "wheek wheek" noises!
    I didn't know piggies were potty-trainable. My friend has a rabbit, a big lop-ear, and he's got free reign of the house. It's so cool! Especially when he plays with the cat, or when I bring Max to visit and the rabbit chases him!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

OK, I'm reading today's love letters:
    http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/relationships/blog/2010/03/to_snitch_or_not_to_snitch.html?comments=all#readerComm

Am I the only person who thinks that if her boyfriend is doing stuff that is illegal:
    a) She should have turned him in then, and
    b) She should turn him in now. 

Not because it would be good revenge, but because he is doing something illegal.  Is this because I'm a lawyer? 

Oh, but for the record, she should probably consider moving out of state first to avoid getting whacked.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

I think it's his family that is doing illegal stuff, not him personally.  I think she's dumb for writing the letter to be posted on BDC in the first place.  If it truly is a Soprano-esque family, she's already in trouble.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I think she's dumb for writing the letter to be posted on BDC in the first place.  If it truly is a Soprano-esque family, she's already in trouble.
    Posted by dkb6248

I couldn't agree with you more.  Whether it's him or his family, if I had enough information that it would actually make a difference, I would turn them in. I guess it depends on what we're talking about, but I get the impression than we're much closer to the Sopranos than to great-grandma accidentally shoplifting once in awhile because she puts stuff in her purse at CVS and walks away without thinking about it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I don't understand why his family had to go everywher he went. She mentions that if he moved, he'd have to pay for the whole family to move.
    WTH??
    If he's clean, then why do they have to move with him?
    Are they in the country illegally?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I don't understand why his family had to go everywher he went. She mentions that if he moved, he'd have to pay for the whole family to move. WTH?? If he's clean, then why do they have to move with him? Are they in the country illegally?
    Posted by pinkkittie27

I thought that was really weird, too.  I mean - do they have jobs?  Does he have a giant house they all live in?  Is he the boss of them?  I'd rather not quit my job and move because my sister's boyfriend got a job somewhere else.  If she suggested it, I expect I would laugh at her.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

LOL, right? And last time I watched The Sporanos, The Godfather and Goodfellas, people did live in their own houses, not all together in some strange criminal commune.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pakistani families do move together, by the way.  I know someone who was considering buying a house out of state, and they had to look for homes for the in-laws, too, who WOULD be moving with them.  It was strongly cultural.  Not sure if that's the case here, but it's a thought.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Wow, that one of the strangest letters  I've ever seen.  Seriously, the girl sounds like pushover (she applied to local schools to *start* a relationship??).  She let him dictate every aspect of her life, including a breakup with no warning?  And she wants him back?  Yet she's still considering turning them in?

Yeah, she's got bigger emotional problems she should be working on.  And he did her a big favor by breaking up with her, too bad she can't see that.