Thoughts on Sunday weddings?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

My sorry self has to be in bed by 10pm on nights before work. However, I might take a half-day and go in at noon on Monday if it meant getting to fully enjoy a friend's wedding. But, other folks might not be able to do that.

Afternoon weddings are fantastic, and you could always have the wedding straddle the afternoon and evening and have everything wrap up by 10pm. Another added benefit is that if you leave for your honeymoon on a Monday night ro Tuesday morning, the flights are usually cheaper!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

I am having a Sunday wedding. The hours were more flexible than the set noon or 6pm start time on Saturdays. We are having our ceremony on site at 4 & wrapping up at 9. That should give the locals enough time to get home at a decent hour. I know a few will leave early, but mostly it's the ones who wouldn't stay until 11 on a Saturday either.
    For the out of towners, they would have had to take Friday off to travel for a Saturday wedding, so Monday to travel home isn't a big difference. Plus some will get in early to see Boston on Saturday.

Our invitations haven't gone out yet, but for all the people we've told, I haven't heard any complaints about Sunday. I guess we'll see when the rsvp's start coming.
    Just remember that those that are close to you will be there if you had it on a Tuesday, so do what works best for you!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I personally do not like Sunday weddings but unless I had to travel a great distance and was unable to for some specific reason I would not decline. If someone declines just because it is a Sunday then they really don't care about you or your husband.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SelkieKel. Show SelkieKel's posts

I'm doing the Sunday wedding and it is saving FH and I a bundle both for the wedding itself and our honeymoon flights!

We're having the wedding itself in the afternoon and having the reception wrap up by 10. The vast majority of our guest list is local and can still get home at a reasonable hour and we've gotten no complaints thus far.

Pulling off a Sunday wedding depends largely on your guest list though. If you've got a lot of OOT guests it would be very tough on them to all take the Monday off from work.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

[Quote]

Would you decline if it were your best friend or sibling's wedding?[/Quote] I would obviously be involved in the planning process and let them know how I felt first.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Congratulations on your engagement!

In regard to a Sun evening wedding I would decline it. Both my DH and I start work very early. Sorry.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

[Quote]Congratulations on your engagement!

In regard to a Sun evening wedding I would decline it. Both my DH and I start work very early. Sorry.
    [/Quote]

Would you decline if it were your best friend or sibling's wedding?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

1. out of town guests would have to take monday off so they can travel back home.
    2. depending on how late the reception runs people might leave a little early/drink less.
    3. the younger crowd won't care as much, they can handle going out and gettng up the next day.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

I was a bm in a sunday evening wedding once. while it did stink to use a vacation day that monday, i did it, so did alot of other people.

Do what you can do. If it is more affordable for you to have a sunday wedding, then do it. People will come, but, just keep in mind that based on peoples work schedules, not everyone can get that monday off.

those who cant may drink less / leave early. but, the offset is like you said, you will save a good chunk of change. weigh your pros and cons out and then make a decision

or try maybe the sunday before labor day? most places will have a minimum that day, but, some venues that are smaller may not..just a thought

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

You do what you have to do. We were married on a Friday evening because that's what worked for us - we were only engaged for 4 1/2 months and there was nothing left on Saturdays. (Besides - as you mentioned - it was much less expensive). Most of our guests were local so it was not a big deal for the majority of them
    I've been to Sunday weddings - and I will say that I prefer the ones that start in the afternoon so we can get home by 9:30 or 10:00.
    I wouldn't try to get married at 6:00 and have a reception going until midnight - you would probably lose a lot of the guests that way.
    Good luck - and congratulations!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

I agree with many of the posts here. I am also having a Sunday wedding and wrapping the reception up at 9pm. I think, like many wedding-related issues, it is a matter of balancing (or choosing) what works for you and FI and what you think other people would prefer. It was thousands of dollars cheaper to be married on a Sunday, and like a previous poster said, there was much more flexibility, and most venues only hold 1 event on Sundays, whereas they might do 2 on Saturdays.

What I thought was really interesting was one place we looked at was COMPLETELY booked for all THURSDAY nights in June!! I'd much prefer to attend a Sunday afternoon-into-early-evening wedding on a Sunday than a Thursday night wedding.

Sundays seem to be becoming not so unusual - actually, all 3 weddings I went to in 2008 were on Sundays! I didn't take any days off - was just a bit sleepy on the Mondays. Granted, I only had to travel about a two hours.

Good luck with your decision - don't worry too much about it - and don't ask too many people for their opinion because you might just get it! :) (this is what I'm learning from wedding planning).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[Quote] I would obviously be involved in the planning process and let them know how I felt first.[/Quote]

not necessarily. I didnt consult my siblings or my best friend on my wedding date. It is implied that for such an important event, one would make a sacrifice to do everything in their power to be there if they are that close to the B&G. that is why God gave us Vacation days.

:-)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I think the responses on this will be 50/50. Personally, I was dead set on having mine on a Saturday night. There are places out there that have no minimums at all, if that helps.
    I went to one Sunday wedding and didn't enjoy it as much as others, but I did still enjoy it. And there were definitely people closer to the couple who were having a wild time :o) If it works best for you, I say go for it. So what if some people will complain behind your back?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxgirl44. Show Soxgirl44's posts

I am getting married on a Sunday but its at 3 in the afternoon and its a holiday weekend. We are getting married Oct 11 so its Columbus weekend so most people have the monday off. Unfortunatly we have to meet the minimum for a Saturday wedding since its considered a holiday. I think if you don't make a late night people won't care and will be fine for work in the morning. Good Luck...I know when i was looking in May alot of stuff was already booked in the North Shore area. You need to work fast for photographer and DJ too. 8 months till my big day...eeeekkkkksssss

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

This is true, I'd rather my best friend pick a Sunday night to get married than a destination wedding.

[Quote]

not necessarily. I didnt consult my siblings or my best friend on my wedding date. It is implied that for such an important event, one would make a sacrifice to do everything in their power to be there if they are that close to the B&G. that is why God gave us Vacation days.

:-)[/Quote]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We had a Sunday wedding, and we'd do it all exactly the same way again. Our reception broke up around 10 - no one complained. We did the cake right after dinner so if people wanted to get home early since it was a work night they could.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

[Quote]I personally do not like Sunday weddings but unless I had to travel a great distance and was unable to for some specific reason I would not decline. If someone declines just because it is a Sunday then they really don't care about you or your husband.[/Quote] Oh, here comes the drama!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fram is right, people will complain about something behind your back no matter what. If you truly aren't purposely hurting anyone, do what you and your FI want to do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from somethingold. Show somethingold's posts

Got married on Sun afternoon and that was easy,
    but as others have said - do what you want and especially can afford and give everyone plenty of notice...for my friends or family I would be there regardless. And there isn't for me a reall desire to drink it up so I wouldn't be hungover the next day anyway.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Absolutely, I had the same experience with availability for a Sunday. Of course, I can't compare to having planned it on that Saturday, but a Sunday in November seemed pretty open!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

You should totoally take pics at Columbus Park by the waterfront. That is, if you're going to be int he city already. :)

[Quote]

I am getting married on a Sunday but its at 3 in the afternoon and its a holiday weekend. We are getting married Oct 11 so its Columbus weekend so most people have the monday off. Unfortunatly we have to meet the minimum for a Saturday wedding since its considered a holiday. I think if you don't make a late night people won't care and will be fine for work in the morning. Good Luck...I know when i was looking in May alot of stuff was already booked in the North Shore area. You need to work fast for photographer and DJ too. 8 months till my big day...eeeekkkkksssss

[/Quote]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

I meant to add this too - i got engaged in October and we wanted to get married in June. Because we chose a Sunday, I have had NO PROBLEM at all getting exactly the vendors I wanted (photographer, dj, florist...). If I had chosen a saturday this would not have been the case. Also, Vendors often discount for Sundays.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I agree with others that if Sunday is your option, then make sure your ceremony starts early. If it was a close friend's wedding I would not mind and would take the next day off if I had to travel. However, even leaving a wedding by 10pm on a Sunday night would be too late for me (i am lame!) and would end up leaving early by 9pm. This is just my opinion, I'd have most of the night covered cake cutting time for dancing etc. over by 9. People that want to stay and enjoy with you can stay and keep partying, and not have the others feel that they missed a large portion of the night by leaving early.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

we're also having a sunday wedding. jewish weddings have to be friday before sundown or saturday after sundown. In the spring/summer, i think that pretty much just leaves you with thurs or sun night, unless you want a very early or very late wedding. we've planned 4:30-10:30. it saved us a around 2k on the band, i think. that was the only discount we've received though.

much of our family is from out of town, but honestly my family is from far enough away (michigan, illinois, florida, colorado, california), that for a saturday wedding they'd have to miss friday work most likely. this way, people are coming on saturday and missing work on monday. it kind of works out the same...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from deadicons20003. Show deadicons20003's posts

Thank you Pingo, I am well aware of my constitutional rights. Please don't get so sarcastic and defensive when someone respectfully disagrees with you.

Unless one is a self-centered *ss, one doesn't simply send their regrets to a friend or loved one's wedding just because one is inconvenienced by it. We've all gone to weddings we weren't thrilled about, and reasonable odds are there was at least one person who wasn't thrilled to be at our own weddings. That was my whole point. You suck it up, smile, go and celebrate with them and genuinely wish them well because that is what you do when you care about someone more than you care about yourself. It doesn't change the fact that I find Sunday weddings a pretty big drag. It's my opinion, which I think was what the OP was soliciting.

Saturday weddings are a different story, folks can always fly home on Sunday without missing work, so I don't quite understand your point about your son's wedding, but I am glad it was a happy event.