Tipping Question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from preserves. Show preserves's posts

Tipping Question

Ok wedding is fast approaching and a co-worker who is also getting married this summer asked me about tipping. I plan on tipping the woman who is doing our hair and makeup (just like I would at a normal salon). And the tip is included in the limo quote. Who else do you tip..and about how much? I have no problem tipping, if service is good, but at the same time money is a little tight and do not want to tip unnecessarily...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Tipping Question

Hi Preserves,
    Just got married in May.  Here is what I did:
    *We went to salon and I tipped my hairdresser generously because she is a doll.  Also paid for one of the BM's hair and tipped 20% which is my usual.
    *Tipped an extra $20 for each member of the waitstaff.  Not necessarily necessary, but I used to serve at weddings so I wanted to.
    *Tipped the DJ since he works for a company and did an awesome job.
    *Tipped the catering manager, event coordinator, and photobooth attendant.  Once again, not always necessary.  I left the decision up until the last minute because I couldn't decide.  But everything went well that night, so why not?
    *Did not tip the photographer or florist as they run their own companies and we were already paying them plenty.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

ditto what Fra said.  I also tipped the wait staff $20 each & our hostess $30.  We got our coordinator a gift card for dinner out & a nice thank you card.  Seemed like they were all pleasantly surprised (but not shocked like it didn't ever happen).  I'm so glad that we did give extra to the wait staff because everyone was telling me afterwards how attentive they were.  It's amazing what you find out after the fact :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from niki0930. Show niki0930's posts

Did you find out how many waitstaff members there would be beforehand? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Yes.  We knew there would be one server for every 20 guests/2 tables, so once we finalized the tables we knew how many servers would be there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Just an addendum to this, if anyone includes 18% gratuity for their service people in your bill, what generally goes to the service people is only about 8%.  The rest, you guessed it, just goes right to the business, not the actual people you'd want to tip.  It's criminal, but it's how it's done.  So, if you see that "18% included" thing, be sure to ask point blank how much is going to the people who are doing the work as a tip.  Then, you can decide if you want to back fill up to a real tip.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from klm44. Show klm44's posts

In Response to Re: Tipping Question:
    Just an addendum to this, if anyone includes 18% gratuity for their service people in your bill, what generally goes to the service people is only about 8% .  The rest, you guessed it, just goes right to the business, not the actual people you'd want to tip.  It's criminal, but it's how it's done.  So, if you see that "18% included" thing, be sure to ask point blank how much is going to the people who are doing the work as a tip.  Then, you can decide if you want to back fill up to a real tip.
    Posted by kargiver

Kar--- thank you SO much for this info, I had no idea!  I will add that to my list of questions for our coordinator this week!  :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

That may be, kar, but the wait staff at these functions are generally being paid a decent hourly wage [$10 and up] and not the peanuts that a regular restaurant waitperson is paid on a nightly basis.  In other words, they aren't relying on tips for the bulk of their pay.  I hadn't planned on tipping my wait staff, but my dad ran around that afternoon after the party was over slipping money to people.  lol.  I have no idea what he gave them, but knowing my dad, it was at least $20 each.  He did the same thing w/ the band.  It was infuriating, yet amusing at the same time. I'm very appreciative, but it was totally unnecessary in my opinion. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from niki0930. Show niki0930's posts

At our venue, 14% of the food and beverage total is added as a service charge that will be distributed to wait staff and bartenders.  Would you say an additional tip is necessary? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

At our venue, 14% of the food and beverage total is added as a service charge that will be distributed to wait staff and bartenders.  Would you say an additional tip is necessary? 
    Posted by niki0930

I like to give 18 - 20% for good restaurant service.  So, at the least, I'd add 5%.  How much, if any, more than that depends, as ALF points out.  Ask the owner outright how much of the 14% goes directly to the staff doing the work as a tip.  The fact that they call it a "service charge" means it's not all tip in my experience.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from niki0930. Show niki0930's posts

In Response to Re: Tipping Question : I like to give 18 - 20% for good restaurant service.  So, at the least, I'd add 5%.  How much, if any, more than that depends, as ALF points out.  Ask the owner outright how much of the 14% goes directly to the staff doing the work as a tip.  The fact that they call it a "service charge" means it's not all tip in my experience.
    Posted by kargiver

The 14% is fully distributed to waitstaff and bartenders.  On top of that, there is an 8% admin fee.  They note that the "entire admin fee does not represent a tip for waitstaff...".  The fact that they say "entire" makes me think that a portion of the admin fee also goes to the waitstaff.  Like you said, I should probably just ask the coordinator at the venue so I know for sure.    

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from preserves. Show preserves's posts

Our venue does the following: "A customary 14.25% Service Charge, 6.75% Taxable Administrative Fee, and 5% State Sales Tax "

So the way this is worded is that the tip and the admin fee (which i am assuming is for our coordinator) is included in our bill. I would love to be able to tip everyone for doing a good job, but its just not financially possible especially with fees like this added on to dinner $100 per head dinner for 100.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I think the amount servers actually receive varies a lot.  When I was a server at venue we did NOT receive a higher hourly wage as ALF suggested.  We received the usual $2.63 an hour or whatever it was at that time.  I don't know if we actually received the full 18% either, but I asked my caterer and he said his servers did.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pamswedding. Show pamswedding's posts

I would ask- adminstrative fee and service charges go to the company and servers only. I have never heard of it going to your bqt manager or catering manager.  that is what i was told when i asked.

Sections
Shortcuts