Wedding guest attire - No red?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Amarie978. Show Amarie978's posts

Wedding guest attire - No red?

I found such an adorable dress on clearance in my size and the right style and everything, and its RED, one of my favorite colors! I was planning on wearing it to a few weddings coming up, but now I've heard that you can't wear red to a wedding for fear of upstaging the bride. Is this true? Obviously, I wouldn't wear something overly sexy or skintight or anything. But its just a pretty red and white (small) polka dot print chiffon dress, very cute. Should I avoid wearing it?

Here's a link to the dress I have: http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/nordstrom--donna-ricco-sleeveless-double-v-neck-dress
    (at least I hope it works)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: Wedding guest attire - No red?

I have never heard of not wearing red to a wedding.  Is the bride Chinese?  If she is having a traditional wedding where she is wearing red, then yeah, I might avoid wearing red.  However, if this is a typical American wedding w/ the bride in white, I'd go ahead w/ the red one you've chosen. It's a cute dress.  I've only heard not to wear white b/c you might be seen as upstaging or competing with the bride.  HTH.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

I think that dress is adorable and totally appropriate for a wedding!  I've never heard of not being able to wear red to a wedding.  Obviously you aren't supposed to wear white, but even some white patterned dresses are becoming more acceptable now.

If you like the dress, wear it!  Unless you're dealing with a serious bridezilla, the dress is perfectly ok.  :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Ditto what ALF & KMT said - I think the dress is fine for a wedding (good point about a traditional Chinese wedding though). 
    We have a group picture of all our guests & seriously, it could have been a funeral for how a lot of people were dressed!  It's a celebration people, spice it up :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

That's a cute dress. If the bride isn't having a traditional Indian or Chinese wedding Tongue out, then you should be okay. I think the only thing you can wear is a white dress! That dress is versatile too, you'll get a lot of use out of it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Amarie978. Show Amarie978's posts

Oh thank goodness! I stumbled on some etiquette blog and the woman just kept going on and on about how horrible it is to see people at weddings wearing black, red or white dresses!  I already had some nice LBDs but I'd been trolling the Macy's racks for colorful dresses for ages til I found this one.  Thanks - I feel much better about wearing this to some weddings!

ETA - not a chinese/indian wedding, so the bride is definitely wearing white herself!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've never heard of that tradition, either.  I think you're safe.  Unless the bride is wearing a red dress, which we have seen here. :)

P.S.  I've worn red to a wedding before, and I didn't get any strange reaction whatsoever from anyone.  And, my mom and grandmother knew what I was going to wear, and they know every rule out there...believe me.  LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Never in my life have I heard that...and if that were true, they wouldn't make red bridesmaids dresses, right? Tibird certainly wouldn't have had red BM dresses, which btw, were beautiful, hehe! Tongue out

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LindaO1MrsO1. Show LindaO1MrsO1's posts

[QUOTE]I found such an adorable dress on clearance in my size and the right style and everything, and its RED, one of my favorite colors! I was planning on wearing it to a few weddings coming up, but now I've heard that you can't wear red to a wedding for fear of upstaging the bride. Is this true? Obviously, I wouldn't wear something overly sexy or skintight or anything. But its just a pretty red and white (small) polka dot print chiffon dress, very cute. Should I avoid wearing it? Here's a link to the dress I have: http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/nordstrom--donna-ricco-sleeveless-double-v-neck-dress (at least I hope it works)
    Posted by Amarie978[/QUOTE]
    Never heard of the rule of no Red dresses at weddings.  Certainly have heard of no black dresses or no white dresses.  Except, I think there are regional exceptions.I was brought up in the Southern Tier of NYS. Catholic weddings usually cannot take place after 2 pm on a Saturday.   The reception usually starts at 6 pm. It seems most women wear one dress to the wedding and another "dressier dress" to the reception.  In recent years, most of the reception dresses are LBD or very dressy black long gowns.  I've also seen White Linen dresses in areas like the South.  And, then there are those strapless, floral  dresses worn by "Southern Belles" in 100 degree heat in the South.  The South also includes Washington, DC (which can basically be quite Southern).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Linda, really? I am in a wedding on June 20th in DC and my BM dress is a black strapless knee-length, with a hot pink sash. Oh wait, you were saying that about the florals....

That is interesting.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've worn black to an evening wedding...not formal, mind you, but dressy, and not at all funeral-esque.  No one seemed offended then, either.  I talked it over with my grandmother in the dressing room, actually. 

As others have said, I think it's just white that's a true faux pas.  ...and black to a casual and/or morning or afternoon wedding would look odd, IMO.

~kar

P.S.  Ever since I watched that million dollar match maker show and she pronounced "faux pas" "fow pow" I laugh when I use it myself.  FOW POW!!!  LOL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I think black at any wedding [day or night] is pretty standard at this point.  I had people wear black and black and white cocktail style dresses to my afternoon wedding. I thought they looked perfectly appropriate. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

[QUOTE]I think black at any wedding [day or night] is pretty standard at this point.  I had people wear black and black and white cocktail style dresses to my afternoon wedding. I thought they looked perfectly appropriate. 
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]

My wedding is in the afternoon and my BM's dresses are black t-length...

Can someone tell me what LBD dresses are??  Smile

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Every wedding I have ever been to, at least 10 girls wear black dresses!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sher. Show sher's posts

LBD = Little Black Dress

I've worn red to a few weddings. have never heard it was a faux pas. and i never competed with the bride! no guest can! i've also worn black (gowns to black tie, and LBD's if evening and less formal).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Aahhh... Thank you!

[QUOTE]LBD = Little Black Dress [/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

If no red is a rule, then someone should have told my husband's stepmother :o)

Seriously though, I didn't see anything wrong with it.  Yes, red is a bit flashy, but so were the bright yellow dresses that two other women had on.

Also, I find black acceptable at weddings, especially evening weddings... Unless it is worn by one of the mothers because then it seems like she is mourning instead of celebrating!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Danielle44. Show Danielle44's posts

I am wearing a red dress as my wedding dress.  Oddly, there were a couple people who heard about this (FMIL and a cousin) and they were both like, "awesome, then I will wear red too!"  I was kind of scratching my head at that response, because people wouldn't wear white to other weddings because the bride is wearing white.  I got upset about it for about 2 minutes and then I was like "eh, who cares?" 
    I think this rule of no red dress for guests at a wedding is recognized by very few people.  And, when it comes down to it, you are not going to take anything away from the bride.  I mean, really, she is the bride!  There will be no confusion there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

[QUOTE]I am wearing a red dress as my wedding dress.  Oddly, there were a couple people who heard about this (FMIL and a cousin) and they were both like, "awesome, then I will wear red too!"  I was kind of scratching my head at that response, because people wouldn't wear white to other weddings because the bride is wearing white.  I got upset about it for about 2 minutes and then I was like "eh, who cares?"  I think this rule of no red dress for guests at a wedding is recognized by very few people.  And, when it comes down to it, you are not going to take anything away from the bride.  I mean, really, she is the bride!  There will be no confusion there.
    Posted by Danielle44[/QUOTE]

I actually find it REALLY odd that they would say, "Oh, I'll wear red, too" especially knowing that you (THE BRIDE) is.  Totally inappropriate.  There are a million other colors to choose from.  It's good that you are okay with it.  That would pi$$ me off, though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I have heard of the no black, red, or white rule. I always took it to mean that you shouldn't go for something too flashy or glamourous, you don't want to be mistaken for a bridesmaid, attention hog, or a widow.

Because you described the dress as "adorable", I'm pretty sure you're in the clear. If you had described it as "dramatic" or "sexy", I would think twice.

Sections
Shortcuts