Wedding Guest Myths Busted

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Wedding Guest Myths Busted

http://lifestyle.msn.com/relationships/articletkt.aspx?cp-documentid=21301974

Slow day, thought I'd share.
    I was surprised that there's a list from TheKnot that I actually agree with.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Re: Wedding Guest Myths Busted

Wow, I don't have any complaints with these. Maybe there'll be a revolution in the wedding guest world with this list out there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Myth #3: Shopping from the registry is impersonal

I couldn't agree more.  If I say "buy me this" and you buy me whatever "this" is, that's not impersonal.  It just shows that you care enough to listen to me and not substitute your judgment of what I would like for your own.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Love it!  I, too, am especially partial of the registry myth being debunked.  What's more personal than giving them a gift they picked out for themselves?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

In Response to Re: Wedding Guest Myths Busted:
    [QUOTE]Love it!  I, too, am especially partial of the registry myth being debunked.  What's more personal than giving them a gift they picked out for themselves?
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Kar, are you going to kick me??  Sorry, I haven't created an account.  I want to e-mail you, lady!!!!

I have your e-mail...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I'd honestly never heard the theory that picking something from the registry isn't thoughtful- I've just heard it's more expensive ;) 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

You can wear black, but can you wear white?  I always thought that was off limits, but at a recent wedding, the wedding coordinator wore a white dress, pearl necklace and a pearl headband!!  She was also the worst wedding coordinator ever.  We are trying to decide if she's just dumb or incompetent (or maybe both).  The pearl headpeice really got me, she really looked like she was trying to look like the bride.

However, there was also another guest wearing a white dress with a chiffon, layered and sort of ruffled skirt.  Is that okay?  I heard a few BM made a comment about it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Trex that totally reminds me of Kelly from The Office at Phylis' wedding! LOL.

She wore a silk white dress and a tiara!

I was at a wedding once and the BM's wore white chiffon dresses with black sashes and it was actually gorgeous. They carried bright pink roses. But, obviously that was the brides choice.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I would say that unless you know for a fact the bride either a.) won't care or b.) isn't wearing white. NEVER wear white to a wedding.
    Unless it's literally the only dress you own and you don't have the means to get another one.

Someone wore white to my wedding. The only reason I didn't take offense was that she's the SO of a cousin and either a.) didn't know any better or b.) it was the only dress she had, and I know she couldn't afford to buy another one if that was the case.
    But my MOH was pissed off. I had to beg her not to say anything. I guess BMs feel really protective of the bride and don't want anything to ruin her day.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Ha! I was actually going to mention that episode!

[QUOTE]Trex that totally reminds me of Kelly from The Office at Phylis' wedding! LOL. She wore a silk white dress and a tiara! I was at a wedding once and the BM's wore white chiffon dresses with black sashes and it was actually gorgeous. They carried bright pink roses. But, obviously that was the brides choice.
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from deborahs2005. Show deborahs2005's posts

Well, I blew it.  We were just shopping for a dress for my daughter to wear to her boyfriend's Aunt's wedding.  I must have said a dozen times you cannot wear black...  oh well, I guess Mom is out of touch!  
    On a side note - I love when the couple registers.  There is nothing worse than struggling to find something the couple will like and not quite finding the right thing.  Even if you don't get something from the list it gives you an idea of what their tastes are!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE] However, there was also another guest wearing a white dress with a chiffon, layered and sort of ruffled skirt.  Is that okay?  I heard a few BM made a comment about it.
    Posted by trex509[/QUOTE]

That makes me think of a prom dress... I feel like it's not OK to wear your prom dress to a wedding. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's not OK to wear white 'cause of the bride being in white.  Black used to be taboo, but I'm not sure why.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Great post!
    The only thing I realy don't agree with is the registry. Some bride only register for items, that is way out of many guests' pocket book and gift allowance. The last wedding we were invited to, there was not a single registry item under $350.
    Granted, the couple had been living together for 3 years and had all the basics. But registering for a $2000 new mattress is beyond me. I am sure they must have needed it, but we as someone that didn't know the couple well at all (a daughter to an employee) had no one to "group" with. We send our regrets to the wedding (as we mostly do with employees) and send the couple a card with a generous check.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

Pingo you must have odd duck friends.  Every registry that I have looked at has quite the range of price points and often most of them fall into what I would consider the middle of the pack ($75-$125). 

And the beauty of the registry is that you know it will be done in advance and quite frankly if I know I will be tight on funds, I hit the registry early but that is just part of my planning personality.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

A lot of people register for some expensive things, not expecting one individual to buy it, but maybe a group of people to chip in.  I think that's pretty common. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]A lot of people register for some expensive things, not expecting one individual to buy it, but maybe a group of people to chip in.  I think that's pretty common. 
    Posted by cosmogirl[/QUOTE]

Some people also register for stuff just to get the 10% discount during the year after the wedding.  I'd rather spend $1,800 for a mattress than $2,000.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I was not aware of the 10% discount. Then it makes sense to register for expensive items. But what is a guest to do? A gift card to that store? And will the 10% go towards any item no matter how expensive? Some stores have limits, when you use coupons.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Guest Myths Busted : Some people also register for stuff just to get the 10% discount during the year after the wedding.  I'd rather spend $1,800 for a mattress than $2,000.
    Posted by lucy7368[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

[QUOTE]I was not aware of the 10% discount. Then it makes sense to register for expensive items. But what is a guest to do? A gift card to that store? And will the 10% go towards any item no matter how expensive? Some stores have limits, when you use coupons. In Response to Re: Wedding Guest Myths Busted :
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]
    Nope I believe it was 10% off if you "complete" your registry at BBB which means buying anything left all in one fell swoop.

And I don't think that they have limits...I had a 10% off your purchase at Lowes which I received in the mail from changing my address, I took it to Home Depot since it is closer and they honored competitor's coupons, and I was buying all new hardware for my kitchen, that was quite the hefty discount but they didn't balk at all.  I actually kind of wish I had put off the purchase a bit longer as I have a longer list of stuff that I want/need but I do have another smaller coupon to use, and I just keep crossing my fingers for more BBB coupons in the mail, I need some slip covers, but I digress.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Guest Myths Busted : Nope I believe it was 10% off if you "complete" your registry at BBB which means buying anything left all in one fell swoop.
    Posted by wendy98[/QUOTE]

I think it's Macy's that gives you 10% of anything for a full year?  Or Crate & Barrell? Of course, it might have been Linens N Things, in which case it doesn't matter.  I'm sure one of the ladies around here will know.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Guest Myths Busted : I think it's Macy's that gives you 10% of anything for a full year?  Or Crate & Barrell? Of course, it might have been Linens N Things, in which case it doesn't matter.  I'm sure one of the ladies around here will know.
    Posted by lucy7368[/QUOTE]

It's Macy. I found that out the other weekend when I went shopping. The person behind the register told me next time just tell one of the people in the registry department and they'd give me the coupon to use. Thankfully the guy behind the register was nice enough to give us the 10% discount that one time anyway.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

C&B gives you 10% off anything not purchased on your registry, but not for a year.  Can't remember how long.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Man, I miss Linens N' Things....so much better than BBB IMO.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

did you read Miss Conduct's blog question about someone who had a $500 for a store that went out of business recently and they never spent it?
    I think it must have been for LNT and all I could think was "I could have spent $500 in LNT in 15 minutes!!"

[QUOTE]Man, I miss Linens N' Things....so much better than BBB IMO.
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

BB&B gives you 20% off of anything left on your registry.  I totally meant to add more bedding before the wedding!!  It's not for a year though, it's a one time thing and my coupon expired about 3 months after the wedding.

Sections
Shortcuts