Wedding Guests' Secret Gripes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Wedding Guests' Secret Gripes

This makes some great points!
    http://lifestyle.msn.com/relationships/articletkt.aspx?cp-documentid=20816186&GT1=32023

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Re: Wedding Guests' Secret Gripes

Yep, still haven't gotten the Thank You card from my friends wedding I went to in May, gave her $100 check....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

In Response to Wedding Guests' Secret Gripes:

And that is one of the reasons we didn't have a guest book.  Which initially horrified my Mom but she completely got over it by the time the wedding came around and understood that it wasn't such a big deal that we didn't have one.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

At my sister's wedding, my job was something like standing by the outer door and directing people to the inner door.  Way to make me feel useful.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Wendy, I totally forgot to sign the GB last night!....whoops.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

In Response to Re: Wedding Guests' Secret Gripes:
    In Response to Wedding Guests' Secret Gripes : And that is one of the reasons we didn't have a guest book.  Which initially horrified my Mom but she completely got over it by the time the wedding came around and understood that it wasn't such a big deal that we didn't have one.
    Posted by wendy98

Same here.  My mom kept bringing it up insisting that I needed one.  I just told her I know who is there and I'll be getting cards from them all, so why make them sign their name again.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: Wedding Guests' Secret Gripes : Same here.  My mom kept bringing it up insisting that I needed one.  I just told her I know who is there and I'll be getting cards from them all, so why make them sign their name again.
    Posted by dkb6248

I actually like the idea of a guest book.  I feel like I would be less likely to lose it than a bunch of cards.  However, I have total faith in the ability of my friends and family to sign their names without help, so I'd be more likely to just set a bunch of pens next to it and make sure it was available for signing both before the ceremony and at the reception.

Plus, in the case of familes or whatever, a guest book would have individual signatures, whereas the card might just say "The Jones Family." 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

This is awful- but I have no idea if I even had a guestbook. Certainly I didn't have anyone standing next to it. I think it might have been one of the many things I skipped having because I didn't see the point...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I don't think I will have a guest book. I mean what do you do with it afterwards? Just put it on your bookshelf? And, I always forget to sign them at weddings Embarassed

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

We skipped the guestbook or platter or anything like that.

I have no use for it, dont want to keep or display it and have many memories of who was there that night.
    I certainly dont need a book to tell me who came!

(Can you tell I think these are a waste, lol)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Well actually our photog does a big framed picture of our engagement shoot that people can sign, it is part of our package, so we may do that. But def not the whole book thing. Speaking of which, we need to start picking photos we like from our shoot to frame and such, I am so lazy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Liz - I know how you feel... I finally got around to picking & printing an engagement pic the day before the wedding when I wanted to put one out on the entrance table (to showcase a lovely frame we got at the shower).  The wedding was in May & we haven't even thought framing those photos or an album yet.  Now that's procrastination!

As for a guest book, I wasn't going to have one, but Dh didn't know that.  He bought me the Life is Good book for Xmas & it was signed by Burt & John Jacobs (the founders).  He thought it would make a good guest book, since we'd be likely to look at the inspiring pictures & people might make fun comments.  Then, or course, our venue coordinator passed around a bat for all to sign during our cocktail hour.  That part was a surprise to us, but the photog got pictures of people signing & it looked like they liked the idea.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

good list.  If you entertain, make your guests comfortable. 

AB

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

This list makes it seem like the only reason to go to the wedding is so the bride and groom can treat you for the lovely present you gave them and there is one formula that every wedding should follow: Saturday evening, open bar, dinner, dancing. Oh and the dinner and music better be spectacular or else... Isn't the whole point of the wedding to celebrate the marriage of two people?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Although, some of those were really funny, I don't agree with all of them.  I understand some of the single people don't want a spot light on them that they're single, but I won't invite someone to my wedding with a guest and/or "flavor of the week".  Most of my single guests know others at our wedding.  They won't be too lonely drinking and hanging with their friends all night.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

I think most of the suggestions are good, but some of them I don’t agree with.  Most people who are planning a wedding don’t intend to serve awful food, they go with what they like and can afford.  And I don’t think it’s appropriate for a guest to think because they sent you $200 that is a deposit for their meal. 

I also don’t agree with the plus one, and it’s never just one more person – if you invite one single person with a guest then you have to do it for everyone.  If you can afford to invite everyone with a date great, but not everyone has an unlimited budget. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I was taken aback by the description "if everyone else will be making out with their date..."
    I have never ever seen anyone make out at a wedding. Kiss, hug, dance, sure- but full-on make out?? Gross!

Although, some of those were really funny, I don't agree with all of them.  I understand some of the single people don't want a spot light on them that they're single, but I won't invite someone to my wedding with a guest and/or "flavor of the week".  Most of my single guests know others at our wedding.  They won't be too lonely drinking and hanging with their friends all night.
    Posted by Goodness1

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

My guest book was included with my venue package and people did sign it. One of my friends told me to make sure to "check the back page" and she signed for her and her b/f in big letter "love you guys, best wishes". Made us both smile :-). she also gave the best speech that night (out of the two that were given).

and you're right, for some people an open bar just isn't something that's affordable and not everyone will they you are tacky (dispite what many, many people on the knot seem to think). cash bars are common in my family and my circle so it's not uncommon for us to bring cash to a wedding.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I am hopeful that our guests will enjoy the music, the food, the venue, everything.  I am worried that some might complain about our 35 minute ceremony, but oh well.  If they're worried, they can just come to the reception.  The ceremony is the important part for me, and if some people are only interested in their good time at the reception, then we'll see them there. 

Also, the "deposit" for the meal... sheesh, SO tacky to think that way.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

35 minute ceremony?  I think your guests will appreciate that, especially if they have been to one recently that is an hour+ mass.  Mine was probably about 25 minutes...I don't think I could have stood up there in front of everyone for much longer than that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

dkb, you would be SURPRISED how many people have made negative type comments on "how long" the ceremony is.  Whatever.  I've learned to ignore them.  If they don't like it, they don't have to come. 

I've been to ceremonies that have certainly lasted over an hour and most included a mass.  Mine doesn't, luckily.  Aside from the end of the night, I'm guessing that'll be the only other private time I'll have with my new husband, and no one is taking that away from me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

dkb, you would be SURPRISED how many people have made negative type comments on "how long" the ceremony is.  Whatever.  I've learned to ignore them.  If they don't like it, they don't have to come.  I've been to ceremonies that have certainly lasted over an hour and most included a mass.  Mine doesn't, luckily.  Aside from the end of the night, I'm guessing that'll be the only other private time I'll have with my new husband, and no one is taking that away from me.
    Posted by Goodness1

Really?  My friends all thanked me after ceremony for keeping it short.  35 minutes is nothing, it will go by quickly.  And you're right, it really is the only private time with your new husband, even though it really isn't private.  I totally blocked everything else out during the ceremony and just enjoyed holding DH's hands and looking into his eyes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

dkb, you would be SURPRISED how many people have made negative type comments on "how long" the ceremony is.  Whatever.  I've learned to ignore them.  If they don't like it, they don't have to come.  I've been to ceremonies that have certainly lasted over an hour and most included a mass.  Mine doesn't, luckily.  Aside from the end of the night, I'm guessing that'll be the only other private time I'll have with my new husband, and no one is taking that away from me.
    Posted by Goodness1

Seriously, 35 minutes is nothing. In 35 minutes you are altering the rest of your life. That is a little dramatic but when you think about it... it's ridiculous that people are complaining about such a small amount of time in the grand scheme of things. Don't most people spend at least 8 hours a day at work? And they are worried about 35 minutes?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Please don't all yell at me for saying my opinion, and I understand why people think having an open bar is a "must". But some people simply can not afford it. I don't think you have to have an open bar to have a fun wedding. I have been to a couple where it was cash bar, and I had a blast. I do agree, don't invite 300 people, but don't not invite people you truly want there, just because you want to be able to afford giving out free booze. JUST MY OPINION!! :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

In Response to Re: Wedding Guests' Secret Gripes : Seriously, 35 minutes is nothing. In 35 minutes you are altering the rest of your life. That is a little dramatic but when you think about it... it's ridiculous that people are complaining about such a small amount of time in the grand scheme of things. Don't most people spend at least 8 hours a day at work? And they are worried about 35 minutes?
    Posted by cicirose

You're telling me.  It's really weird.  I try not to pay it much mind, as we cannot control what people say or think, but it does hurt.  When it's mentioned over and over and over again, there are times when I have to bite my tongue before I say, "Then don't come".  But, I restrain myself. 

I know it's not totally private, but we're entering a whole new phase of life during the ceremony.  It will be just the two of us up there.  I'm tearing up just thinking about our moments on the day and days after.  I won't let anyone spoil that for me. 

Sections
Shortcuts