Where did you meet SO?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GirlyGirl82. Show GirlyGirl82's posts

Where did you meet SO?

My FI and I recently split and I am having a hard time with it. Feeling sad and lonely and wondering if I will meet anyone else, etc, so, I thought this would be a nice topic, as well as one to inspire me...but, where did you meet your FI/DH/SO and how old were you when you met?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Re: Where did you meet SO?

I'm sorry to hear things didn't work out with you and your FI but hopefully this is for the best. I'm sure you will meet someone who is right for you.

I met my DH in college, more specifically his fraternity house, we was 19.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

We met through a mutual friend... who I was actually seeing at the time... oops! I was 22.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I met DH at a store we both worked at. He was the one I handed my application to. And funnily enough, he told the manager they probably wouldn't want to hire me because I had pink hair. But when I came in for the interview I had dyed it back to blonde. I was hired, and DH switched his schedule so he could work with me. He asked me out the night after he quit that job. :)
    I was 20, he was 22.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GirlyGirl82. Show GirlyGirl82's posts

hmmm, so you were all young when you met your men. I am older and am afraid there are no good older single guys left...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I literally met my SO on my doorstep.  He had moved into the apartment upstairs a couple of weeks earlier.

I was at the very end of lawschool, having an extremely bad day, and I went outside to vent on my phone and chain smoke.  I was about to walk back inside, hand on the knob, I heard something, I turned, and... there he was.  That was it.

I was 27, he was 22.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

You probably shouldn't listen to me.  I met my FI at a bar.  :)

And please don't get discouraged!  There are plenty of great older single guys left, trust me.  My FI is a little older than me (late 30's), and he's got quite a few single friends that are just dying to meet a good woman. 

I'm very sorry to hear about you and your FI.  If anything, just be thankful that you figured out it wasn't meant to be prior to the wedding.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]hmmm, so you were all young when you met your men. I am older and am afraid there are no good older single guys left...
    Posted by GirlyGirl82[/QUOTE]

GG, most men are bad until they meet the right woman.  They meet a woman who, for whatever reason, causes them to behave like normal human beings.  This change is internal and nearly automatic.  The woman should never know that the guy used to be awful (unless she hears stories).

So, don't lose hope, but also don't waste time trying to change them.  For the right one, you won't have to.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

GG, I'm really sorry to hear about the split.

I met FI through a mutual friend (my ex-boyfriend, lol) at a bar. I had no interest in having a boyfriend at that time and didn't want to go out that night, but my friend dragged me. Sometimes if you stop looking and are just living your life, things fall into place. I was 20 and he was almost 23.

Different people are in different places at different times--some of us may have been younger when we met our FIs, but there are older brides on here too. Some women I know shudder at the thought of dating the guys they new in their early-to-mid 20s.

What about trying to meet a guy with a similar hobby? Ex, if you're a runner, join a running club.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

We met in Barbados on vacation.  I am from the US, he is from the UK.  We were 27 when we met.

There are plenty of good guys left--please don't despair!!

We have been married for 17 years and have 2 girls now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sher. Show sher's posts

my DH and i met on the redline :)

i was 27 and he was 29 when we started dating. we talked on the commute for a while before finally going on that first day. we've been together 10 years now.

GG so sorry to hear about you and your FI. grieve, heal and then when you least expect it, be open to meeting someone special.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Don't give up hope GirlyGirl- there are still plenty of single older men. Many of them have even had a "starter wife" and are wiser for the experience. ;)
    As the others said, invest time in hobby or interest groups and don't look to hard. Mr. Right will coem along when you least expect it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I love T romance!!! :)
    It gets me through the times when I'm waiting on a delayed train. I just think to myself "two people on here right now could be falling in love..."

[QUOTE]my DH and i met on the redline :) i was 27 and he was 29 when we started dating. we talked on the commute for a while before finally going on that first day. we've been together 10 years now. GG so sorry to hear about you and your FI. grieve, heal and then when you least expect it, be open to meeting someone special.
    Posted by sher[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]Different people are in different places at different times--some of us may have been younger when we met our FIs, but there are older brides on here too. Some women I know shudder at the thought of dating the guys they new in their early-to-mid 20s.
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease[/QUOTE]

You're absolutely right.  The thought of marrying any of the guys I knew in high school or college makes me want to die.  But, my sisters are happily married to a college and high school sweetheart.  It all depends on where you are at the different stages of your life.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colby2000. Show Colby2000's posts

Girly Girl, don't give up hope!  I had almost thrown in the towel after all my friends started seriously dating and then marrying their SOs. I never thought I'd meet anyone, but then I didn't actually "meet" someone, but just reconnected with someone I knew.

My FI actually met our freshman year of college.  We were set up on a blind date.  I had the biggest crush on him for 4 years but we just remained as friends.  Graduation came and we lost touch.  We saw each other at a friend's wedding 4 years later, started casually emailing, and then began dating shortly after our 5th year college reunion.  This was 4 years ago and the first two years of our relationship was long distance.  So, you never know what will happen.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sher. Show sher's posts

LOL! it's true :) and what a fun way to pass the time. we used to love delayed trains when we were getting to know each other. now that we don't commute together the delays aren't as much fun, but i do try to think that each one is potentially benefitting someones relationship.

[QUOTE]I love T romance!!! :) It gets me through the times when I'm waiting on a delayed train. I just think to myself "two people on here right now could be falling in love..."
    Posted by pinkkittie18[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Girlygirl, sorry  things didn't work out w/ your FI.  Don't lose hope! I met my DH when I was 32 and he was 30.  I had pretty much given up hope at that point, even though I hadn't started seriously dating anyone till I was done w/ school [at the ripe old age of 27; I had weird priorities according to some of my friends. lol].  Do things you like to do, and live your life.  You will eventually find someone who appreciates you for you.  I took dance lessons [had always wanted to and my boyfriend would never agree to it], bought my own place, and did whatever the heck I felt like [trip to Newport for the day on a whim, etc].  Have fun and who cares what anyone else thinks!  Good luck.   

ETA: There are just as many good, older single guys left as there are single woman who are looking for them. Bear in mind that they may not have full heads of hair or be in Iron man shape once they are over 30.  As long as they have their own teeth, are gainfully employed, and have no major mental/emotional problems, they should be considered viable choices.  :-) 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from booklover. Show booklover's posts

GirlyGirl, there is every reason to believe you will meet the right guy for you.  I met my guy in my 20s but we didn't start dating until I was 36, and we've been together 10 years.  The time just wasn't right when we first met.  So you never know, you might end up with someone you already know but at this moment you wouldn't be ready or in the right place to date him.

Right now, your focus should be on yourself.  Be kind to yourself.  You've just been through a very difficult time and you need to let yourself grieve over the failed relationship, keeping in mind that it failed for a reason (e.g., he wasn't the right one).  Involve yourself in those activities that please you.  Reconnect with friends and let it be known to those that are close to you that you need a little TLC right now.  And when you are ready, you'll put out the right vibes and things will start happening for you.  But if you are not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with anyone else, so make yourself happy.

Best wishes - sending hugs and good thoughts your way.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

On a related note, my FI is completely different from every other guy I've dated. Obviously, those other relationships failed, but for whatever reason I never thought I'd date a guy like FI.

Like others have said, take care of yourself now and immerse yourself in what you enjoy. Keep an open mind, and maybe some guy you never would have thought about will come along and be the right one.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I met my FI the very first day of college freshman orientation in 2001.

BUT, I was in a wedding this past weekend and the bride and groom met on Match.com. I am a huge advocate of online dating, if it is done safely :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

So sorry! I can totally relate.  I thought I'd never find love or happiness again as I went through my divorce after a 9 year marriage.

After a year of being alone and getting personal counseling (which I highly recommend!!!), I decided I was ready (don't ask me how I knew) to start dating again. 

Leaving it to chance meetings and fixups wasn't my style especially given that I was in my mid-30s and didn't have a lot of opportunities for that.  I went on eHarmony because it had a rigorous personality testing that they use to match you and an intense pre-first-date weeding out process. 

Got "introduced" to my now dear husband by eHarmony, we spent 2 weeks traversing their hoops to know if we wanted to actually meet in person, and on our first date I knew he was the REAL one. 

Got married a year later. :)

Congratulations for making the very tough decision to save yourself a bad marriage.  I didn't, and I'll always be very sorry for that even though things have worked out great in my life since.  You can break up and get over it and no lasting harm is done (in most cases), but a divorce is forever for sure.

Best to you, Hon.  Keep a journal - you'll be amazed to look back a week, month, and year from now to see how far you've come and how much you've learned about yourself (if you take the opportunity to do so).

~kar

P.S.  My first (failed) marriage we were 23 and 24.  When I met my DFH (dear forever husband), I was 36 and he was 43.  He'd never been married.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]I met my FI the very first day of college freshman orientation in 2001. BUT, I was in a wedding this past weekend and the bride and groom met on Match.com. I am a huge advocate of online dating, if it is done safely :)
    Posted by Sept2010Bride[/QUOTE]

I'm a huge advocate of online dating, in theory.  In practice - eh.  It seems like everyone on Match.com just wants to get laid (I base this on profiles I've seen and the experiences of people I've known - including men who sign up for that specific purpose).  I would not give eharmony my money because they are anti-gay, but even before I knew that, I had issues with their personality profile.  It seemed like they asked about 100 questions about religion and kid-raising (things who do not remotely interest me), and not a single question about the things I find important. 

Then again, that was several years ago, and I do have friends since then who met on eharmony who are happily married.  I guess maybe online dating just isn't right for me.  And that's OK.  I'm still a huge fan, in theory.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenclown. Show greenclown's posts

Here.  Literally.  Boston.com used to have personals (well, I suppose they still do, but I obviously don't use them and haven't noticed them in a very long time).  He was 36, I was 25.

Sorry to hear about your breakup.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

eHarmony!! So supportive of "online dating"! Three of my friends (two of which are now married) and one who is getting married next June met online. One on Match and two on eHarmony! If I were single, I would be on there right now! I truly believe it works :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Kar, that was so sweet and touching.  It was nice to read about your true life experience.  Many people can relate to that.  I'm glad things worked out for you!  You deserve it.

I was in a relationship, which I thought was going to be forever.  We were together for almost 5 years.  Started dating when I was nearly 19.  After an AWFUL break up, I met my future husband 2 1/2 years later, and it's been bliss ever since.  It is so important to know yourself, and your partner.  Looking back now, I always wonder WHAT I was thinking being with my ex for as long as we were together.  Everything happens for a reason, right?

Sections
Shortcuts