Your Wedding: What Year? How much did it cost$? Was the day worth the pricetag?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Your Wedding: What Year? How much did it cost$? Was the day worth the pricetag?

We are doing a poll to see if people paid small fortunes for their wedding, and if they could afford it. If you wish to participate answer the following, please:

1- Year married:
    2- Total estimated cost($):
    3- Satisfaction of the day for the pricetag (1=poor, 10=fantastic):
    4- Any incurred debts due to the big day (yes/no):

You can just cut+paste to make it faster. Should be interesting. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Re: Your Wedding: What Year? How much did it cost$? Was the day worth the pricetag?

Of-course in rare cases where parents paid for it, there may be some ambiguity regarding the responses. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Your Wedding: What Year? How much did it cost$? Was the day worth the pricetag?

1- Year married: 2008
    2- Total estimated cost($): $xx
    3- Satisfaction of the day for the pricetag (1=poor, 10=fantastic): 10+
    4- Any incurred debts due to the big day (yes/no): No

ETA: Sorry, I feel like I should edit this to not show the price even though that diminishes the effect of the thread.  I wouldn't want my friends/family to know - kind of like spilling how much you spent on a gift.  It was a family reunion/party we threw for them, really, you know?

It was under $20,000.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

who is "we"?

1. 2007
    2. approx $20,000 for everything
    3. 10
    4. No

I'd like to point out that since you're not asking if these weddings were during peak season or how many guests they had, or where they were, you're missing a lot of critical information.
    My wedding was in May with about 125 people in Boston. And FWIW both my parents and DH's parents paid for a great deal of it, we held to their budget, and we paid for whatever we could afford to.

But I'm guessing anyone who sees their own wedding as a waste in hindsight probably isn't perusing the wedding message boards at BDC.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

1- 2009
    2- $25,000 or less (estimate including honeymoon)
    3- 9
    4- None that I know of... We saved for a while before hand so we had no problem.  Both of our parents contributed (more from mine) and as far as I know it wasn't a problem for them to do so.

Saturday in May.  150+ guests in Canton, MA.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from augustbride20. Show augustbride20's posts

Yes, who is "we"?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

In Response to Your Wedding: What Year? How much did it cost$? Was the day worth the pricetag?:
    We are doing a poll to see if people paid small fortunes for their wedding, and if they could afford it. If you wish to participate answer the following, please: 1- Year married: 2- Total estimated cost($): 3- Satisfaction of the day for the pricetag (1=poor, 10=fantastic): 4- Any incurred debts due to the big day (yes/no): You can just cut+paste to make it faster. Should be interesting. 
    Posted by plasko

Year Married: 2007
    Estimate Total Cost: about $18-20K [not including honeymoon]
    Satisfaction: 10
    Debt incurred: none

Wedding was a Saturday in May for 100 pp.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

1- Year married: June 2009
    2- Total estimated cost($): $13,000
    3- Satisfaction of the day for the pricetag (1=poor, 10=fantastic): 10
    4- Any incurred debts due to the big day (yes/no): No

We were married on a Saturday and had a daytime reception in Somerville/Medford, buffet lunch, open bar (beer, wine, champagne) for 85 people.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

"we" because it was a suggestion by Domino88 on a previous thread ("A Real DOOZIE") that kinda got side-tracked by me a bit. So I thought it was more relevant and respectful to create a new thread. 

And yes, good point kitty, I am talking to a very focused minority since its on the wedding-centric pages, its true. I will take that bias into account. Thx. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

1. 2009
    2. $25000
    3. Me personally - 7, my family - 10
    4. Not so much debt incurred for our wedding, but we also had a rough year with 7 other weddings to attend that year after ours plus a stint of unemployment and our savings had been depleted because of our wedding, so we did incur some credit card debt as a result.

I want to note that I never wanted a big wedding, and totally felt it was way too much money, effort, time, and brainpower on one day.
    My parents, my fiance, my grandmother, and my inlaws all felt differently.
    My friends and family still say it was the best wedding they have ever attended.

Wedding was a Saturday in June, 150 people, and way outside Boston!
    And that figure includes everything, honeymoon, my dress, limo, tuxes, my sisters dress, flowers, shoes, makeup, hair, food, shuttle buses, bar, dessert, etc.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I don't think anyone who went into debt is even going go to admit it.  Or if they let their parents go into debt, they were probably too selfish to know/care, so this is definitely going to be a biased thread!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

What if you're already in debt?  I mean, I have so many students loans that any time I spend a penny on anything that isn't directly paying that debt, I'm "incurring debt" (because it accrues interest daily),  So, technically, even if I spend money on nothing other than the marriage license, I went "into debt" to pay for it.

Actually, I "incur debt" just sitting here, breathing.  What a depressing thought.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

If I agree to get married at my mother's church to save money, how do we factor in the debt I owe to my entire belief system?  The cost to my pride?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

1- Year married:2010
    2- Total estimated cost($):about $15,000
    3- Satisfaction of the day for the pricetag (1=poor, 10=fantastic): 10
    4- Any incurred debts due to the big day (yes/no):no

We included family members in our wedding party who are pretty much all out of town and on limited budgets so we spent a significant portion on their clothes/hair/make up, etc. Also we bought a suit rather than renting a tux, new shoes, other items that are still being used. Had we not done any of that, we probably would've spent a few thousand less. Our parents contributed some money and our tax refunds pretty much paid for the rest so there was NO debt whatsoever; some opportunity cost, but at least we are not still paying for it now. It was totally worth the cost to be able to have our closest friends and family there with us.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

In Response to Re: Your Wedding: What Year? How much did it cost$? Was the day worth the pricetag?:
    What if you're already in debt?  I mean, I have so many students loans that any time I spend a penny on anything that isn't directly paying that debt, I'm "incurring debt" (because it accrues interest daily),  So, technically, even if I spend money on nothing other than the marriage license, I went "into debt" to pay for it. Actually, I "incur debt" just sitting here, breathing.  What a depressing thought.
    Posted by lucy7368

Ugh Lucy, that's awful. Can you consolidate for a lower interest rate? I did that in 2004 so things may have changed but somehow my interest rate is about the same as the interest I earn in my savings account (meaning next to nothing!).   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from miss-cellaneousJones. Show miss-cellaneousJones's posts

How fun, as we're coming up on our 5 year anniversary next month I was just looking through our wedding photos last night and thinking of our special day...

1- Year married: 2005
    2- Total estimated cost($): $14,500 (not including honeymoon)
    3- Satisfaction of the day for the pricetag (1=poor, 10=fantastic): 9
    4- Any incurred debts due to the big day (yes/no): No long term debt. We saved like crazy during our 9 month engagement and paid for most of the wedding in cash. Appoximately 5K was put on credit cards and was paid off within 3 months.

With the exception of my mother paying towards 50% of my very expensive wedding dress we paid for our wedding. Wedding was in October and we had 90 guests.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: Your Wedding: What Year? How much did it cost$? Was the day worth the pricetag?:
    In Response to Re: Your Wedding: What Year? How much did it cost$? Was the day worth the pricetag? : Ugh Lucy, that's awful. Can you consolidate for a lower interest rate? I did that in 2004 so things may have changed but somehow my interest rate is about the same as the interest I earn in my savings account (meaning next to nothing!).   
    Posted by cicirose

I actually already did that.  I think you're only allowed to consolidate once.  Even so, the rate is low enough that it probably wouldn't help much to consolidate right now.... of course, it's still more than what I get on my savings.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

1- Year married: 2009
    2- Total estimated cost($): Under $12k (not including honeymoon)
    3- Satisfaction of the day for the pricetag (1=poor, 10=fantastic): over 10. There's so much more to the day than the price. Our families met and mingled, we saw friends we hadn't seen in a long time, and, oh yeah, we got married. This questions always perplexes me; of course it was worth it. 
    4- Any incurred debts due to the big day (yes/no): No. 

We got married on a Friday night in July in New Hampshire with 84 guests. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I don't think anyone who went into debt is even going go to admit it.  Or if they let their parents go into debt, they were probably too selfish to know/care, so this is definitely going to be a biased thread!
    Posted by framerican51008

and there are parents who go into debt for it and don't tell their kids because it's a pride thing for them to pay for the wedding.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Just found some helpful research on the issue of wedding cost, debt and stress:

"

In a survey for Bank of America in 2004, 70 percent of TheKnot.com respondents planned to spend $10,000 or more on their wedding, and 15 percent planned to put the costs on their credit cards.

In another survey conducted for American Express in August 2006, TheKnot.com surveyed 500 newlyweds found that 80 percent named "money" as their prime source of stress from the wedding; 14 percent of the respondents admitted to going over the budget limits they'd set for the wedding.

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/07/wedded_debt.html#ixzz0zjxoWme6"

So, 15% of respondents isn't a majority. And TheKnot.com is definitely a wedding factory-type thing. I was actually expecting more like 20%, so this makes me think that the majority of people don't throw weddings they can't afford. Granted, that was before the recession, but many news sources reported on how people were spending much less on weddings after the recession hit, not more.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

You make valid points, Pink.  But I also think that sometimes a couple's budget IS more then they can afford.  Just because they budgeted and planned to spend a certain amount, doesn't mean they should have.  Or maybe you were referring to the 15% using credit cards... I was looking at the 14% who went over budget.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I don't necessarily equate not putting it on a credit card to mean they can afford it.  If they have saved $50,000 for a down payment on a house and spend $30,000 of it on a wedding instead, could they "afford" it just because they used cash?  Maybe they wouldn't think so when they went to get a home loan.  Also, everyone who puts it on a credit card isn't spending beyond their means.  I put almost every cost incurred on a credit card because I get 1% back on all purchases and pay it off every month so they literally pay me to use it, nothing lost to finance charges or fees.  But, if asked, I'd respond that I'd be charging it all.

ETA:  That being said, though, how does one create an objective survey to determine how many weddings were "afforded" by couples?  Whether you can afford something is subjective by nature. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

1.  1997
    2.  $35,000
    3.  10
    4.  No

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Kar, I thought of that, too.  That was basically the point of my initial post.

I charge almost everything because I get cash back at the end of the year.  But I pay the bill, in full, every month so I never pay interest (because it doesn't make sense, if you don't).  So, when asked, I, too, will usually say I charged it, because, technically, I did.

I don't think there really is an objective way to say that someone could afford it, because, if they weren't spending their money on the wedding, they'd be spending it on something else, and there's a whole cost-benefit analysis that really isn't objective.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BloomingFlowers. Show BloomingFlowers's posts

1- Year married:   1998
    2- Total estimated cost($):   under $5000
    3- Satisfaction of the day for the pricetag (1=poor, 10=fantastic):  10
    4- Any incurred debts due to the big day (yes/no):  No.  We paid for our wedding ourselves.  We had 40 guests (and remember talking to every one of them!).  A month later we rented a small art museum and hosted a catered dinner party for more co-workers and friends that did not attend.  We had a lot of fun at both events, kept to a reasonable budget and started our life together out of wedding debt.

Sections
Shortcuts