Your Wedding: What Year? How much did it cost$? Was the day worth the pricetag?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

Re: Your Wedding: What Year? How much did it cost$? Was the day worth the pricetag?

In Response to Re: Your Wedding: What Year? How much did it cost$? Was the day worth the pricetag?:
    If I agree to get married at my mother's church to save money, how do we factor in the debt I owe to my entire belief system?  The cost to my pride?
    Posted by lucy7368

I just spit coffee on my keyboard reading this.  LMAO!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

Re: Your Wedding: What Year? How much did it cost$? Was the day worth the pricetag?

1- Year married:   2010
    2- Total estimated cost($):   under $9,000 including a weekend away
    3- Satisfaction of the day for the pricetag (1=poor, 10=fantastic):  10+
    4- Any incurred debts due to the big day (yes/no):  No. 

We used our tax returns to pay for our wedding and buy new windows for our new house. 

We had about 130 people at a Friday evening reception in Gloucester, MA.  A lot of the wedding was DIY, or I should say DIM.  Actually, everything was DIM except for the photos, video, DJ and cupcakes.  I made the "flowers", centerpeices, invitations, etc.  I think that if I had used real flowers instead of making my own, our costs would have increased significantly.  The biggest issue we had budget wise was planning on David's Bridal alteration prices.

My dad just told me that he's been talking to guests both in person and on the phone and they keep telling him how much of a wonderful time they had.  That's music to my ears!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

1- Year married:2010
    2- Total estimated cost($):25,500
    3- Satisfaction of the day for the pricetag (1=poor, 10=fantastic):10+
    4- Any incurred debts due to the big day (yes/no):none...moved back home 16 months before the wedding and saved like crazy

It was in the North Shore, a Saturday nite on a long weekend in May with 180 people.  We did alot DIY projects and used a lot of local vendors.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Now I am asking a purely naive question here so bear with me:

What does this tax-return thing mean that everyone talks about saves them money? Is there a tax-free year when you get married as a gift by the government, or is the wedding itself tax-deductable or what? What is this "tax-return money" people keep on talking about? Anyone? I should point out I am not from here originally. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Some people brought their 1st home last year (this year before may) qualifying them for the 1st time home buyers credit of 8,000 dollars.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: Your Wedding: What Year? How much did it cost$? Was the day worth the pricetag?:
    Now I am asking a purely naive question here so bear with me: What does this tax-return thing mean that everyone talks about saves them money? Is there a tax-free year when you get married as a gift by the government, or is the wedding itself tax-deductable or what? What is this "tax-return money" people keep on talking about? Anyone? I should point out I am not from here originally. 
    Posted by plasko

Most people have too much money deducted from their paychecks throughout the year and sent to the government to cover their income taxes.  At the end of the year, when they file their returns, those people get giant tax refunds.  I even know people who have additional money intentionally withheld so they'll get a bigger refund, because they can't save on their own.***

The wedding itself is not tax deductible.  However, married people pay income taxes at a lower rate than single people, so if two people get married during the year, and had taxes withheld as if they were single most of the year, that means that when they file, they'll end up getting a large refund the year after the wedding.

*** I make no comment on the advisability of such an approach.  I note only that I know that it happens.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

lucy, I knew I was restating your idea; hope you didn't feel ripped off! :)

plasko, I think people have often see a tax return as "free money" - money the gov't took but gave back.  It's not objectively correct, of course, it was always their money and earned, not free, like every other penny they earned, but everyone (I assume) knows that.  I'm as practical as the day is long, and I've been guilty of splurging here and there with my tax return.  I don't think teeny ever said she was saving money by using the tax return; she just set her budget to be that of the return.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: Your Wedding: What Year? How much did it cost$? Was the day worth the pricetag? : That is a completely inaccurate statement.  Many married couples actually pay more as a married couple than they would as two individuals.  It is called the marriage penalty.  People who have dual income and no kids are the likely ones to get hit with this.
    Posted by Summer2010

Please review your definition of "completely inaccurate."  I said that the tax RATE for married couples is lower than the tax RATE for singles.   I didn't say that married people automatically pay less than single people.  I personally have known a lot of married couples that have gotten a big refund after they got married - it typically, but not always.  And if "many" married couples pay more as a couple (which they do - I never said all married couples pay less than all single people), that means that some don't.

Here is a link to the tax tables showing that married couples pay less on the same income than a single person would.
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040tt.pdf

The fact that a generlization does not apply to your specific situation does not make it "completely inaccurate."  That's why I used words like "many" or "some."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shortylicious. Show Shortylicious's posts

1- Year married: 2004
    2- Total estimated cost($): $50,000 (including honeymoon)
    3- Satisfaction of the day for the pricetag (1=poor, 10=fantastic): 10
    4- Any incurred debts due to the big day (yes/no): No

We got married in Kennebunkport, Maine with 120ppl in October. My husband paid for it 100%. He scrimped and saved to put himself thru college, grad and law school and once he paid off all his student debts, he saved money for a wedding and down payment on a house. To this day, he refuses to carry debt, so we don't have any other than a manageable mortgage.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

1- Year married:   2006
    2- Total estimated cost($):  $15K (incl. honeymoon)
    3- Satisfaction of the day for the pricetag (1=poor, 10=fantastic):  10
    4- Any incurred debts due to the big day (yes/no):  No

It's been four years now, and our friends and family still talk about what a great time they had, how it was unique and fun, and they can't wait until we have a big anniversary party! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from augustbride20. Show augustbride20's posts

I am not married yet, but I know we will be spending just a little over $40,000 on our wedding (not including honeymoon), and we are lucky enough that my parents have offered to pay for the whole thing, and no, they will not go into debt because of it. I am thinking we will end up with about 150-160 guests. It will be an August wedding in 2011 at a private country club in a Boston suburb. Whether or not it will be worth it, I will let you know in 11 months, but I am guessing it will be worth every single penny :)

Shortylicious, my FI is exactly like your DH. He has never ever had credit card debt in his life and has paid off his CC's ever single month since he has had one. We just bought a house in Arlington (after him selling is condo in Boston he owned since he was 23) and now have a manageable mortgage between the two of us. He has taught me so much about money management.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I don't necessarily equate not putting it on a credit card to mean they can afford it.  If they have saved $50,000 for a down payment on a house and spend $30,000 of it on a wedding instead, could they "afford" it just because they used cash?  Maybe they wouldn't think so when they went to get a home loan.  Also, everyone who puts it on a credit card isn't spending beyond their means.  I put almost every cost incurred on a credit card because I get 1% back on all purchases and pay it off every month so they literally pay me to use it, nothing lost to finance charges or fees.  But, if asked, I'd respond that I'd be charging it all. ETA:  That being said, though, how does one create an objective survey to determine how many weddings were "afforded" by couples?  Whether you can afford something is subjective by nature. 
    Posted by kargiver

The way the article was written lead me to believe that those putting costs on credit cards were going to pay over time, not right away. Of course, there's no way to be sure.

I agree that what one can afford varies from person to person. I, personally, always leave wiggle room when I set a budget. That way, if I go over, it doesn't break me or create debt. So I was thinking those people who went over budget weren't putting themselves into debt by doing so.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

In my opinion, you're not really disclosing the cost of your wedding if you leave things out, such as the honeymoon.  People spend thousands of dollars on their honeymoon.  If you say your wedding cost 16k, but you spent 5k on a honeymoon... Well, that is a big difference.

Now that I think of it, we did technically go over budget because I wanted to spend 20k or less, but it wasn't a problem.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I don't think the wedding cost should include the honeymoon.  "Wedding" to me is the cermony and reception.   You don't add in the cost of the honeymoon to determine price per head of the wedding, do you?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Why would the wedding costs include the honeymoon?  Some people don't take a honeymoon till later.  We took ours immediately after, but I don't consider that a wedding expense.  I also don't consider the engagement ring a wedding expense. 

If we were to add in the ring and honeymoon, our 'wedding budget' would double.  Actually, I think the combined cost of the ring and honeymoon cost more than the wedding and reception.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ours would just about double, too, if we included the e-ring and honeymoon.  I think what should count should only be guest-related. 

Guests see you in your dress, attend the ceremony, eat the food, drink the drinks, get transported, etc. so it all counts.  Guests are not with you on your honeymoon (hopefully!) nor get anything out of your wearing an engagement ring so those are non-wedding expenses although they do have something to do with getting married.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

It was more true when most people married really young, because they didn't make very much, and their combined incomes still weren't much.  It also worked out that way more where you had a girl right out of college getting married and not working, because then the husband had the same income and an extra dependant.  So, it probably doesn't happen as much as it used to, but I do know a lot of couples who experienced it (especially, say, the ones who got married during law school: huge tuition deduction + low income = big refund.)

In Response to Re: Your Wedding: What Year? How much did it cost$? Was the day worth the pricetag? : Ok this is the part that is maybe not "completely inaccurate" because in some cases COULD be true, but it is definitely not an accurate statement.  I appolgize for using the term completely inaccurate but what you wrote is often misunderstood to be the truth. "so if two people get married during the year, and had taxes withheld as if they were single most of the year, that means that when they file, they'll end up getting a large refund the year after the wedding."
    Posted by Summer2010

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

If you're throwing in the cost of the honeymoon, do you also need to include the cost of an engagement party? 

Do most people include the honeymoon as part of the overall wedding budget, or is there another honeymoon budget?  I'm a freak for keeping things separate, but I don't know what normal people do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I don't include the honeymoon b/c I don't consider it a wedding expense. 

If you are going to include something as tangentially related to the wedding as the honeymoon, you should include the engagement ring, engagement party, all gym/trainer sessions, any pre-wedding beauty treatments [facials or hair stuff done in the year leading up to the wedding], honeymoon expenses, etc. It goes on and on.  I think the costs of the wedding, wedding attire and reception comprise 'wedding costs'.  The RD, engagement party, bachelorette expenses and honeymoon are separate. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from augustbride20. Show augustbride20's posts

I don't include the honeymoon b/c I don't consider it a wedding expense.  If you are going to exclude something as tangentially related to the wedding as the honeymoon, you should include the engagement ring, engagement party, all gym/trainer sessions, any pre-wedding beauty treatments [facials or hair stuff done in the year leading up to the wedding], honeymoon expenses, etc. It goes on and on.  I think the costs of the wedding, wedding attire and reception comprise 'wedding costs'.  The RD, engagement party, bachelorette expenses and honeymoon are separate. 
    Posted by ALF72

I agree 100% with this post...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I definitely see your points, but we're not talking about $200 bucks spent on facials.  I think part of the point of this thread is to discuss if people a) go over budget or b) buy into thinking they have to spend a fortune to keep up with the Joneses.  If someone thinks they HAVE to go to Hawaii and spend 10k on a honeymoon, I think that is part of going over budget and buying into the "rules".  (Or, of course, it could just be that they can afford a 10k trip.)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

If someone thinks they HAVE to go to Hawaii and spend 10k on a honeymoon, I think that is part of going over budget and buying into the "rules".  (Or, of course, it could just be that they can afford a 10k trip.)
    Posted by framerican51008

I think our hypothetical person has deeper problems than poor financial decisions if they think they *HAVE* to do something like that because the cool kids are doing it too. Laughing

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I definitely see your points, but we're not talking about $200 bucks spent on facials.  I think part of the point of this thread is to discuss if people a) go over budget or b) buy into thinking they have to spend a fortune to keep up with the Joneses.  If someone thinks they HAVE to go to Hawaii and spend 10k on a honeymoon, I think that is part of going over budget and buying into the "rules".  (Or, of course, it could just be that they can afford a 10k trip.)
    Posted by framerican51008

Fra, I spend WAYYYY more than $200 on facials in a non-wedding year.  I also chipped a tooth a few days before the wedding.  I would have gotten it fixed anyway but it was definitely on my 'must do before the wedding' list.

I don't see how you can include a honeymoon simply b/c people may wait several months to take one.  If people really can't afford their wedding, they are going to go hog wild on the stuff their guests can see, like the dress, food and open bar. They aren't going to spend so much on underwear, the honeymoon, the hotel rooms, etc.  Kind of like people who buy Kleenex boxes and then stick Target tissues in them so they can pretend to buy name brands. Or that sad and pathetic website where you can rent designer handbags and pretend to your friends and associates that you can drop $2k on a bag when you are really just renting it [ie, wasting money] for a month or two while it's the IT bag.  If people who are putting on a show do go to HI for a week after the wedding just so they can say "Zeke and I are so excited to be honeymooning in HI", chances are they are camping on the beach or staying in Motel 6 and eating Ramen noodles while they are there.  Also, they could go to FL or someplace else for the honeymoon and tell people they went to Bali.  Who is ever going to know unless they see the passport?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from IsabelArcher. Show IsabelArcher's posts

Now I am asking a purely naive question here so bear with me: What does this tax-return thing mean that everyone talks about saves them money? Is there a tax-free year when you get married as a gift by the government, or is the wedding itself tax-deductable or what? What is this "tax-return money" people keep on talking about? Anyone? I should point out I am not from here originally. 
    Posted by plasko

Plasko,  Most people who filed 2008 tax returns (1040) were eligible for an additional $600 credit per tax filer. (And folks who couldn't or didn't claim it for 2008 may have been eligible on their 2009 return.)  So most couples planning a wedding in 2009 would have received up to an additional $1200 on top of any tax refunds they were due. And as someone mentioned, many single people opt for maximum withholdings from their paychecks, so often they end up overpaying their income tax for the calendar year and it is refunded to them after they file their tax return. Also if a single filer is carrying a mortgage he or she would be more likely to qualify for a refund. Folks, notice I said "more likely." I'm quite aware that most homeowners still end up owing tax. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Having a honeymoon or wearing an engagement ring didn't impact the wedding at all.  However, if you want to personally count all those things as "wedding expenses" in your own budget that's different.  It's not wrong, just misleading from a survey's perspective.  Surveys are fragile creatures - if not everyone interprets financial questions the exact same way the results are completely meaningless.

Everything related to the wedding is not the wedding itself.  When someone asks you how much you spent on a new car, you say what you spent at the dealer.  You don't generally take the price you negotiated and then add your increase in insurance, the difference in excise tax, and subtract how much less you'll spend in gas that year if it gets better mileage than your last car, and then tell your friend how much your car cost.  Those are all expenses related to buying a new car, but anyone asking how much you paid for your car isn't asking for that information - they are asking how much you paid Ford for the car.

Sections
Shortcuts