Your Wedding: What Year? How much did it cost$? Was the day worth the pricetag?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Re: Your Wedding: What Year? How much did it cost$? Was the day worth the pricetag?

In Response to Re: Your Wedding: What Year? How much did it cost$? Was the day worth the pricetag?:
    [QUOTE] Kind of like people who buy Kleenex boxes and then stick Target tissues in them so they can pretend to buy name brands.
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]

I'm familiar with the handbag site, but I have to ask - does anyone actually do this?  Will my friends judge me when they come over if I don't have Kleenex Brand tissue? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: Your Wedding: What Year? How much did it cost$? Was the day worth the pricetag?

In Response to Re: Your Wedding: What Year? How much did it cost$? Was the day worth the pricetag?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your Wedding: What Year? How much did it cost$? Was the day worth the pricetag? : I'm familiar with the handbag site, but I have to ask - does anyone actually do this?  Will my friends judge me when they come over if I don't have Kleenex Brand tissue? 
    Posted by lucy7368[/QUOTE]

Yes, there are people who do that.  Scary, but true.  I buy my handbags at DSW or Target.  I don't see the point in spending a huge amount of money on something that is going touch the ladies' room floor at some point.  I will spend  bit more on 1 nice bag for interview/holiday purposes, but those ones I make sure get hung on the hook or sit on the bathroom shelf. The day to day one, you can't always do that b/c sometimes you need stuff in it and can't reach it while sitting down, so you have no choice but to stick it on the floor. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I totally agree; I spend "big bucks" on things I know I will enjoy and will be worth it to me without any regard for what anyone will think of my choices.  On other things I am cheap with an equal amount of regard for others' opinions.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

people aren't always spending a lot of money to impress people. I impress people all the time but spend very little money ;)

But seriously, there are many reasons why someone might get pulled into the platinum wedding- family pressure, not knowing any better, trusting the wrong vendors, and then there are people who just live irresponsibly and are in over thier heads in debt everyday, wedding or no wedding, but just can't part with their lifestyle.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from augustbride20. Show augustbride20's posts

I personally love Coach, and believe it or not, a lot of people have told me that Coach is "low end". Well, to me, it is high end. I have about 10 Coach bags, and I don't buy them to impress anyone because, well apparently, I'm not....but I am buying them because I love their patterns, etc.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Here's another way of looking at it.  I budgetted 20 grand for my wedding and 5 for a honeymoon.  You budgetted 15 grand for the wedding and 10 for a honeymoon.  We both spent 25k, we just had different priorities.

Also, there are PLENTY of things that don't count towards the price per person - dress, rings, shoes, makeup, jewlery - but they count towards the total cost of the wedding.

I promise I will drop it after this!  We'll have to agree to disagree.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from augustbride20. Show augustbride20's posts

Fram, I get what you're saying....there ARE a TON of things that don't count as the actual "celebration."

$100pp isn't paying for your dress, veil, shoes ,hair, etc, etc.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I can see it both ways. Just goes to show how different people see wedding costs in different ways.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Your guests see you in your hair, makeup, dress, shoes - it's what you get all dressed up in wedding attire for.  The cost pp isn't just what they ate, drank, and the space they took up in the hall, imo, but the honeymoon isn't a cost associated with guests at all.  But, no sense arguing about it - I can see both sides, too.  It comes down to this - survey writers need to be explicit as to what they mean by "wedding cost" if they want statistically meaningful results!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[QUOTE]I personally love Coach, and believe it or not, a lot of people have told me that Coach is "low end". Well, to me, it is high end. I have about 10 Coach bags, and I don't buy them to impress anyone because, well apparently, I'm not....but I am buying them because I love their patterns, etc.
    Posted by augustbride20[/QUOTE]

Yes, you are BUYING them.  Totally different. Sorry, I see renting something expensive [be it a dress or handbag - really, does a rented dress REALLY fit correctly off the rack? I have to have even blouses altered!], as trying to impress people. If you like or want something, buy it.  Save to do so. If you only want it b/c you want to have the latest in fashion but don't have the money, find something else that's 'in' in your price range and content yourself w/ that. 

There's nothing wrong w/ having or wanting designer stuff.  But unless you can afford it, or save for it, I just don't see the point.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, add  me to the Coach bag lovers!  I got mine because it has everything I was looking for in a purse...you know how we have our functional "requirements" - size, pocket configuration, color, materials, strap length, etc.   I took the  Coach pull tag off, and, since it's plain leather, without the tag you wouldn't know it's a Coach.  Well, actually, the buckles say Coach, but it's hard to notice.  AND, it had been discontinued that year so it was half price!  YAY!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Um,
    When I posted the questions I was thinking of just the wedding day itself and not really honeymoon (as thats just a holiday, albeit a potentially expensive one). Thats why I asked: Was the DAY worth the pricetag? (implying a 1 day event).
    This would ofcourse contain associated costs like buying dresses and suits, and rings and stuff. These are things that were specifically obtained for this day, regardless of their future re-use or not. 
    Engagement is a different story. Many couples get engaged and it goes no further, they split up before the wedding. Some people do not have engagement parties but instead have what is called "Jack and Jill" parties where their friends all pay a ticket price to attend, and this money actually is then supposed to be used to help finance the wedding. No idea why it is not more common, as its a fantastic idea. A community getting together to contribute to the wedding sounds really bonding. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm glad to know that wedding cost surveys can have respondants that include anything traditionally associated with getting married from engagement rings to the honeymoon.  Hm, I wonder about the knot's and other surveys - if the average wedding cost in Boston is $25,000, is that the wedding day cost, the cost of everything associated with getting married, or worse, an inextricable combination of the two?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Some people do not have engagement parties but instead have what is called "Jack and Jill" parties where their friends all pay a ticket price to attend, and this money actually is then supposed to be used to help finance the wedding. No idea why it is not more common, as its a fantastic idea. A community getting together to contribute to the wedding sounds really bonding. -- posted by Plasko

Plasko, most of us feel that it is NOT a fantastic idea.  It is not a party, it is a fundraiser.  Each couple should have the wedding they can afford, and not rely on "required donations" from friends and family.

Wedding guests should not be expected to finance the event.

I think a nationwide survey of wedding costs is pretty irrelevant.  If anyone has checked out The Knot or the Wedding Channel, you'll see a fair amount of weddings featuring pot-lucks, no alcohol, and/or camo-themed extravaganzas.  Not that there is anything wrong with it, but it's not relevant to most Boston-area weddings. 

The only way to get a realistic survey is to itemize the expenses. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I thought he was being facetious about it being a wonderful "bonding" experience.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Regarding Coach... I had just finished telling a friend how I bought the biggest part of my BM gifts at Coach.  She went on to make some comment about how Coach isn't that nice, compared to Louis Vuitton (sp?) and Gucci.  She is such a sweetheart, but makes thoughtless comments like that ALL the time!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

August, I love my Coach bags too. I love them b/c they are sturdy and they last forever. I have other fancy names bags as well, but the ones I love the most are my Coach bags. I don't buy them for a fashion statement, but b/c I love the way they are made. My latest one is 4 years old and it is still looking as good as new. Can't say that of some of my other bags.
    Truly, I really do not care what other people think of my bags. Please tell me. A $300 bag is not exactly "low end". So, what if I get "the look"? I just smile and think, "Sorry for you, you have to be so jealous".

Sorry posters - this was really an OT.
    [QUOTE]I personally love Coach, and believe it or not, a lot of people have told me that Coach is "low end". Well, to me, it is high end. I have about 10 Coach bags, and I don't buy them to impress anyone because, well apparently, I'm not....but I am buying them because I love their patterns, etc.
    Posted by augustbride20[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How rude of her, Fram!  I'm sure your girls loved your gifts and I don't know where this "low end" sentiment is coming from.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I am not married yet.  We will be spending just a little over $6,000 on our wedding (not including honeymoon or my e-ring).  
    The wedding is on a Saturday night in February and there will be around 85 people attending. 
    We are paying ourselves and are not going into debt over the wedding.  
    I am guessing that it will be worth every penny.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Plasko, most of us feel that it is NOT a fantastic idea.  It is not a party, it is a fundraiser.  Each couple should have the wedding they can afford, and not rely on "required donations" from friends and family. Wedding guests should not be expected to finance the event. I think a nationwide survey of wedding costs is pretty irrelevant.  If anyone has checked out The Knot or the Wedding Channel, you'll see a fair amount of weddings featuring pot-lucks, no alcohol, and/or camo-themed extravaganzas.  Not that there is anything wrong with it, but it's not relevant to most Boston-area weddings.  The only way to get a realistic survey is to itemize the expenses. 
    Posted by cosmogirl[/QUOTE]

Who are "most of us", and do they authorize you to speak for them?
    The whole point is that it is a fundraiser, yes. Well done. It is actually a different thing to a regular engagement party and is entirely a go-if-you-want-to event. No noses out of joint for not showing up. I think they are mainly in low-income communities. Tickets are not that expensive either. You are right that it is not that relevant to Boston (expensive city) weddings, but perhaps an idea for those from surrounding areas where the community spirit is still in full force and people actually do pull together. I know its hard to appreciate from an everyone-for-themselves city. Lets just agree that its a "quaint" notion (as that can be interpreted many ways ;)
    Also I agree that all surveys are flawed. There is no such thing as an un-biased survey (from both sides) and never will be. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I'm in the "most of us." We've actually had this conversation many times, which is why Cosmo has the *authority* to opine. 

Quaint doesn't = tacky, so I don't agree that it's a quaint idea. How is it okay to expect your guests to finance your wedding? It's not about community spirit; it's about not putting your guests in the awkward position of floating you a fiver to throw a fancy shindig you otherwise can't afford. 

I'm from the sticks, gun racks on pickups and cows outnumbering people in a tiny, conservative town in upstate NY where everyone knows everyone else, and Jack & Jill's are just as taboo there as in Boston. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from augustbride20. Show augustbride20's posts

[QUOTE]August, I love my Coach bags too. I love them b/c they are sturdy and they last forever. I have other fancy names bags as well, but the ones I love the most are my Coach bags. I don't buy them for a fashion statement, but b/c I love the way they are made. My latest one is 4 years old and it is still looking as good as new. Can't say that of some of my other bags. Truly, I really do not care what other people think of my bags. Please tell me. A $300 bag is not exactly "low end". So, what if I get "the look"? I just smile and think, "Sorry for you, you have to be so jealous". Sorry posters - this was really an OT. In Response to Re: Your Wedding: What Year? How much did it cost$? Was the day worth the pricetag? :
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]
    I agree, Pingo. My Coach bags have lasted me so long. And, when I say I have about 10, that is since I was around 17 (when I got my first one from my Godmother and was so excited I screamed when I opened the box). I still, to this day, use that bag....ten years later! I could never justify spending $1,000+ on a bag. But that is just me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

That same friend once asked me if she should spend $500 (or was it $700) on a LV wallet?  I said everyone has their thing(s) that they splurge on, but I would never ever spend that kind of money on a wallet.
    (For those of you who are into that stuff, I really meant it - we all splurge on something we probably shouldn't!)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

[QUOTE]That same friend once asked me if she should spend $500 (or was it $700) on a LV wallet?  I said everyone has their thing(s) that they splurge on, but I would never ever spend that kind of money on a wallet. (For those of you who are into that stuff, I really meant it - we all splurge on something we probably shouldn't!)
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

I suppose at the least she can justify to herself that she is making the economy go round by not sitting on her money. Still, though, thats a large investment for a bag. Ofcourse if she is mega rich it might mean nothing to her. The way I see it is that rich people and not so rich people all have the same stuff (cars, holidays, bags, shoes, property etc etc), its just that the rich person-versions of everything cost more and have more frills and baubles. Exclusivity does not, however, mean better quality in a lot of cases. In some regards rich people can be pretty stupid by spending a thousand dollars on a bag just for a brand-name. Its just a bag after all at the end of the day. 
    Some people are like magpies though. See a shiny thing and have to have it, no matter whether they actually NEED it. 
    Still, if your friend is rich (not well defined term) enough to afford her baubles then fair enough. If however, she would prefer to donate that money to a kids-with-cancer charity I think she would feel 100x better about herself than owning a brand-name bag. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I apologize for "speaking for" anyone but myself.

However, I've been on these boards long enough to know what is consensus and what is up for debate.

I have no problem with buying tickets to a medical-expense fund-raiser or a charity auction.  I have attended a pot-luck wedding and had a great time.  I even helped host a "rent party" for friends who had fallen on hard times and needed help to avoid losing their home.  But I don't think you should ask your friends and family for money to pay for your wedding or your honeymoon.

Just my opinion.