Any non-swimmers ever go snorkeling?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghotieyes. Show ghotieyes's posts

Alright, so DH and I are finally thinking about booking our honeymoon in Hawaii. I'd love to go snorkeling, but DH doesn't know how to swim. I asked if he'd go anyway, and he said sure, there's a lifevest, right? Yes, it's true you get a life vest, but I'm thinking, even if he's floating, wouldn't he still have trouble maneuvering around to see the fishies and reefs? Anybody have experience snorkling with people who don't know how to swim?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Well, I know how to swim, but I have snorkled w/ a life vest before [we were a few miles out and the water was rough, and I am overly cautious. :-)]. You can do it. You don't see as much [b/c you obviously can't dive down to get closer looks at things] but it's still fun. If he isn't a nervous nellie, you should both be fine. Just let the instructor know he isn't a strong swimmer [don't tell them he can't swim b/c they may not let him go in] and the instructor will keep an eye on him too. Good luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenclown. Show greenclown's posts

I just had to look at our pictures from Hawaii to see if we were wearing life jackets when we went snorkeling. We weren't. I'm sure you could if you wanted though. That said, if I didn't know how to swim, there is no way on earth I would even consider snorkeling without learning to swim first, regardless of having a life jacket. It sounds incredibly irresponsible to me.

Oh, and there were no instructors any of the times we went.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hi Ghotieyes,
    Does he literally not know how to swim, like he couldn't swim to save his life? Or is he just not a good swimmer? I only ask because I can swim technically, but I usually just say I can't because I'm not good at it and I get nervous. That being said, we went snorkeling twice in Mexico and I did just fine. I did hyperventilate for a minute when I first got off the boat, but my fiance held on to me and I was fine after that. We had life vests both times.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hi ALF!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishchick. Show irishchick's posts

Isn't snorkeling essentially floating (cause if you go under, your snorkel will fill with water)? When I snorkeled in Grenada, the reefs were close to shore and we saw a ton of stuff just floating with our snorkels near the reefs. Maybe I just never perfected the art of expelling water!

We are encountering a similar predicament on our honeymoon. My FI doesn't like swimming in the ocean and has never snorkeled but I am so eager to take our half day snorkeling cruise with breakfast, lunch, drinks and three stops to snorkel. We talked about it and I'll be in the water having fun while my FI is in the boat enjoying a cocktail and providing moral support.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I would say having snokelled (sp?) that if one couldn't swim but wasn't afraid to float in a life vest, one could certainly snorkel. I can swim, but I wouldn't call what I did while snorkelling "swimming" - I was just paddling my arms around and awkwardly floated to whatever. If he can float with a vest over a reef, he'll have fun. Of course, he won't be able to dive down, but I didn't choose to do that even though I can swim, and I had a blast.

However, I had an unexpected problem with snorkelling, fyi. I have a pretty bad time with motion sickness, and I found that when I did stop purposefully swimming and put my head down to just let the waves take me, I got very motion sick, like I was on a boat. I was sick for the afternoon even after I stopped right away. Next time, I took a Dramamine 30 minutes beforehand, and I was OK.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[Quote]Hi ALF![/Quote]

Hi fra!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[Quote]I just had to look at our pictures from Hawaii to see if we were wearing life jackets when we went snorkeling. We weren't. I'm sure you could if you wanted though. That said, if I didn't know how to swim, there is no way on earth I would even consider snorkeling without learning to swim first, regardless of having a life jacket. It sounds incredibly irresponsible to me.

Oh, and there were no instructors any of the times we went.[/Quote]

When I went snorkeling from a boat, there were always instructors or at least supervisors. These were larger groups of people who went out on the boat [around 8-10 couples]. On my honeymoon, we did 1 boat snorkel but also snorkeled on our own every day b/c there was a reef off the beach. For the snorkeling on our own, there were no instructors [hence, being on our own. :-)]. I think greenclown makes a good point: if you are going snorkeling on your own, it's probably not a good idea for your DH to do it if he can't swim at all. If you are going on a group excursion, then it should be okay b/c there should be at least 2 instructors along for that kind of outing [if there isn't, it's not a safe tour and you should skip it]. Good luck!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

I would heed Green and Alfs advice - go with a group; that way you will get instruction and they usually provide life vests or pool noodles to float with.

Irish - yes, you can dive down in a snorkel to get a closer look at fish etc. You Just need to either bite your mouth piece harder, or put your toungue over the mouth piece to stop your mouth filling with water. When you resurface you then just say "Blast" or "push" to expel the water from your snorkel.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vanessa11382. Show Vanessa11382's posts

Okay this post is TOTALLY my post. I went on my honeymoon in October and I can't swim for beans. I am PETRIFIED of the water.... many people have tried to show me how to swin in a pool and I will scream and cry. So we went on a snorkeling open bar type of excursion. I told my DH that he could snorkel and I would drink. lol. We were making 2 stops one at a ship wreck and another in "shallow" waters. I told DH that I would try the shallow waters. Well let me tell you, they were not shallow. I could see at least 10 feet below me. I freaked at first, I am not going to lie. I wore a life vest i was floating and holding on to a rope haha freaking out. DH told me to relax, he is a strong swimmer so he took off his vest held on to one string and made me hold on to the other, he said he would swim and I would just hold on and he would drag me. I Said okay... so we are swimming along, I am moving my legs and all of a sudden I see DH under water not holding onto the vest, I freaked for a second but I quickly realized I was fine on my own. I LOVED seeing all the fish and life down there, it was one of the most amazing experiences andI would love to do it again. So tell your fiance he will be fine! :-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I can't snorkel. I'm not a strong swimmer, but eve with a life vest on I can't do it. When I get into the water and get just a little bit tired, I start to competely freak out and feel like I can't breathe becaus eof the snorkel.
    DH and I went snorkeling in the Bahamas, after they got through warning me abotu all of the awful things that could possibly be in the water- portugese man of war, fire coral, sea urchins- after 10 minutes in the water I freaked out and couldn't breathe with the snorkel in and had to go back to shore.
    The instructors said it's just that some people feel they can't "breathe normally" with the snorkel and it makes you panic.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

pink, you reminded me, I couldn't use the flippers. Ironically, they made me feel like I was gonna drown.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Vanessa, sounds like you did the Aruba 1/2 day snorkel trip? I hope you ventured in the water again for the ship wreck. Good for you for conquering your fear!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Hi ghoti! First of all, I've always wanted to say that I love your screen name - "fisheyes," right???

Anyway, I want to agree with everyone else's post that your fiance will probably be fine. I'm a strong swimmer but somehow I get a mental block when I put a snorkel and fins on. I have to wear/float on a life jacket when I snorkel, but I'm completely comfortable when I do that. Plus, it may make your FI more comfortable with water if he can "practice" while looking at something cool.

That said, if he REALLY couldn't float/tread water if his life depended on it, I don't know if I'd recommend it. When is your honeymoon - could he take swimming lessons before then?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kel96. Show kel96's posts

It's best to have an instructor there just in case. But with snorkeling, you're not really swimming. With a life vest and flippers, that does most of the work for you, you're mostly floating. If you don't panic easily, you should be fine. Have fun!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Maybe the flippers made it worse. The only time I felt really ridiculous is when I couldn't even snorkel at the Disney World "reef" that's like a kiddie pool. I just can't breathe with that thing on. And it's not like I'm prone to panic attacks, I've only ever had one non-snorkel related attack.

[Quote]pink, you reminded me, I couldn't use the flippers. Ironically, they made me feel like I was gonna drown.[/Quote]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vanessa11382. Show Vanessa11382's posts

Hey Kar! Yes thats what we did... we were supposed to get what they called "lunch" too but that was a cheese sandwich which was left out in the heat ha! I def want to go back and do the full day.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[Quote]Hey Kar! Yes thats what we did... we were supposed to get what they called "lunch" too but that was a cheese sandwich which was left out in the heat ha! I def want to go back and do the full day.[/Quote]

Vanessa, funny, they didn't promise us lunch (ew, on the cheese sandwiches!) - we got hor dourves (I know that's spelled grossly wrong!) that were, um, OK, and drinks that were at least pretty.

Did you see the shipwreck?

We were on the snorkel trip on Nov 16th, I think. You?

I'm glad you posted since you aren't a swimmer!! I'm sure that really helped the OP a lot.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

[Quote]pink, you reminded me, I couldn't use the flippers. Ironically, they made me feel like I was gonna drown.[/Quote]

Kar - me too! I freaked out when I realized I couldn't tread water with fins on. As soon as I got the life vest under my chest and got my butt in the air, I was a-ok.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[Quote]

Kar - me too! I freaked out when I realized I couldn't tread water with fins on. As soon as I got the life vest under my chest and got my butt in the air, I was a-ok.[/Quote]

Yeah, that's totally it, LilSprout - I couldn't tread water!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vanessa11382. Show Vanessa11382's posts

Kar, I believe we went on Oct 28th. I really wish I saw the Shipwreck... I was too busy drinking the Aruba Aribas and getting really uncomfortable being around the little Danish girls that were swimming topless... hmm I am now wondering if the 4 Aruba Aribas helped me losen up when I decided to finally go in the water...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

pinkkittie,
    I am with you on the I can't snorkel because I get panicky thing! I'm not a strong swimmer, reallllllllly don't like being over my head (which, um, you always are when in the freakin' ocean after they dump you off a boat!)... so that poses a problem. If I think about the fact that I am BREATHING under WATER then I freak out, dog paddle like crazy woman, throw my head in the air, gasp, oh it's fabulous! And that happened even when I snorkeled in 4 feet of water where I could stand up if I needed to! (which I did, and then did the gasp, throw my head back, get hysterical thing... truly impressive!)

So my only trick is that I can't "practice" in the plain old water. I have to be over a beautiful reef looking at all the beautiful,colorful, fishes to take my mind off the whole I'M BREATHING UNDER WATER AND I'M NOT A FISH OR A DOLPHIN! thing.

Now, if I really couldn't swim I would NOT go snorkeling from off a boat. Becuase it's really deep water and you shouldn't mess around. But can he REALLY not swim, or is he just not a strong swimmer who loves water? I can do it but I hate it, am not comfortable with it, am frightened when over my head, etc. (wow, I'm fun, huh?)

I did do the 1/2 day of snorkeling thing on our honeymoon, which was fun when I wasn't thinking! (and diving down to see stuff? you've GOT to be kidding!)

I say he should go take lessons at the Y so he is a swimmer for life - it's such an important skill to have, if only so you don't drown while playing Marco Polo in the neighborhood pool!

Sections
Shortcuts