Anyone go to Bali, Australia, New Zealand?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

Anyone go to Bali, Australia, New Zealand?

Looking for any recommendations can get about traveling to these places for our HM.  How long did you go for?  What time of year?  Book yourself or through an agent or with tour group?  Any advice, web sites or books you would suggest?  Thank you!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Re: Anyone go to Bali, Australia, New Zealand?

I've been to Jakarta, but not Bali, but just wanted to say that Indonesia is not too hard to navigate, and people are super friendly.  Everyone says Bali is GORGEOUS and wonderful, but I didn't make it there.  (I was just there for 1 month for work.)  That said, don't plan anytime in Jakarta at all--nothing to see or do at all!  Not a great place for tourists.

Okay, sorry if that wasn't too helpful.  It sounds like a wonderful honeymoon itinerary though.  

I would say, try to book yourself, if you have time to research everything.  And if you can swing it, try to fly Singapore Air.  It is seriously the best airline to be on for a long flight, if you are flying economy.  It can be more pricey though....  But wonderful to be able to stretch your legs and get a snack from the little bar they set up at any time during the flight.  

Watch out for the rainy season in Indonesia (roughly Oct-Mar).  A good guidebook should be able to fill you in on weather patterns (I always turn first to Lonely Planet, which is what I used in Jakarta).  And use tripadvisor.com--so many wonderful recs there!

Also remember that Bali is near the equator, so should be pretty warm year-round.  NZ is far enough South that it is chilly there in June-July-Aug (you won't be swimming, and you'll need a jacket of some sort).  My mom made a trip there last year and was complaining about the cold in July!  

good luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Australia and NZ are both beautiful!  Bali, meh, very touristy in the main parts (there are some beautiful more remote areas away from the beaches, but they are a little out of the way (an example - one of my friends was vacationing in the mountains a few years back when the terrorist bombings happened in the main beach town and they did not hear anything about it until the went to fly home about 5 days later).

What type of things are you in to?  Knowing this will allow me to give you some more detailed information/ideas.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

My husband is a Kiwi (NZ'er) and we have lots of family there and in Australia, so I've been a number of times. As Prill says, it would help to know the kind of things you're interested in doing--adventure activities (bungee jumping, scuba, etc.), hiking/outdoor stuff, sightseeing, relaxing on a beach or some kind of combo.

I haven't been to Bali, but if you're looking to include some kind of beach/relaxation stay to your trip, there are a number of options in the area. We honeymooned in Fiji (a 3 hour flight from Auckland) and most of our Kiwi friends honeymooned in the Cook Islands.

As for weather, remember that the seasons are flipped, so our summer is winter in NZ/Australia. Winter on the South Island of NZ is exactly that--very cold, snow in the mountains, etc. The North Island is more moderate, but will be more rainy. It gets warmer the further north you go. Australia will be warmer than NZ and again, depending on where you are, can be quite warm in the winter. (BIL is in Perth and I don't think it ever gets much below 80 degrees there. SIL is in Brisbane and on Saturday they were only about 5 degrees cooler than we were here. She was freezing. We told her we'd been outside all day because it was so warm!) My favorite time in NZ/Aussie is April--late summer, early fall. It is quite warm, but not super hot like it can be.

ETA: You might find this post from a few weeks back helpful

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aLifestyleForum%3a9628Discussion%3af8f2346e-8978-4e49-a1e1-e75c190a20ef

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My in-laws just spent 3 weeks in Australia and NZ and LOVED it.  They didn't complain much about the flight, but they said spending a week in HI first helped break it up.  Must be nice, huh?  A month traveling the world?!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal1124. Show mezzogal1124's posts

I went to Australia in late November - early December of 2007 with my family and had an absolutely amazing experience!  This was a great time to visit because the Australian summer was just getting started. 

Needless to say, Australia is huge.  It's impossible to see it all on one trip.  If you're looking for a "sit, plunk, and relax" honeymoon, this might not be the best location simply because there is so much to see (although, of course, there are plenty of beautiful, relaxing resorts). I'm not sure what types of activities you enjoy, but here are some of my recommendations:

--Climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge.  You must do it.  Make reservations in advance and try to do a climb at dusk, that way you'll get to see a fabulous sunset from atop the bridge.  Even if you're afraid of heights, consider trying the climb.  My mother is very acrophobic and figured she'd have to turn around and go back but she was fine, mainly because, the way the bridge is structured, it is IMPOSSIBLE to peer down over the edge.  You are always 5-6 feet away from the edge, so you are quite safe.

--Scuba dive in the Great Barrier Reef.  If you don't dive, try snorkeling. 

--Go to Cairns and explore the Daintree (rainforest). 

--Go to Kangaroo Island.  We toured the island with a company called Exceptional Kangaroo Island.  It was just my family (4 people) plus one other couple in a jeep for two days.  We were able to determine our schedule because of the small numbers, plus the guides are also amazing cooks and gourmet lunches with excellent Australian wine are included.

--Drive the Great Ocean Road (near Melbourne).  The views are spectacular, and you can stop along the way to see the magnificent rock formations.

--If you go to Melbourne, eat dinner one night on the Melbourne Colonial Tramcar   Reservations are essential.  I know it sounds like a cheesy attraction, but honestly this was the best meal we ate in Australia and you are on a restored, elegant tram. http://www.tramrestaurant.com.au/

--If you enjoy wine, there are some lovely vineyards in Tasmania. 

I could go on and on.  If you have any specific questions, please reply and I'll try to answer them as best as I can.  My mother made all of the arrangements through Garber Travel's Beverly office, which is located in the Cummings Center.  Bon voyage!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

Thanks for all this great info.  We would like to do a few days relaxing on the beach but want to do mostly active things and seeing the must see sights.  We are getting married in November but plan on going on our honeymoon in February for three weeks.  Not sure if three weeks is enough time to do this trip but this is the most time we can swing.  I am going to start looking into these recs.  Thanks so much!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Three weeks gives you plenty of time to travel the east coast of Australia -

Start in Sydney, where you can do plenty of tourist things, eat really well, see the sites - while there, be sure to take a day trip (or over night if you want to do some hkining or stay in a cute B&B) to the Blue Mountains National Park.

From Sydney you can get a cheap flight up north - either far far north to Cairns - where you can access the Great Barrier Reef and Daintree (Rainforest); or, you can easily get to in island on the barrier reef, on which you can do as little or much as you like.   The one thing to remember if going to Australia (or Bali) during February is that it is the warmest month of the year and is jellyfish season in the water.  So if swimming you have to wear a body suit (most hotels/resorts provide these for guests).

With that time you could also go to the "outback" and see Uluru (Ayres Rock), but it will be super duper hot out there at that time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

Thanks. I would not want to be in the water with the jellyfish no matter what I was wearing!  The warmth is one of the reasons we are going in February.  The more I research the more I think we need 3 months not 3 weeks to see everything.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from C9dP. Show C9dP's posts

Went to Australia 20 years ago this coming November for our honeymoon. Nice place, lots of empty space between sights, should have spent the 3 weeks in Austria, Switzerland, and northern Italy......

Sydney's nice enough, sparkling city, pretty people, very small historic district, great harbour area. Spent about 10 days on the reef form mid-November to end of November, rainy season started last few days, so time it right, as rain was washout city, nothing to do when pouring except honeymooning! Went to Townsville and Cairns area up on reef, on nice days, reef beautiful, a long boat ride out htere - about 25-40 miles offshore. Island resorts are wildly expensive. Also, on Queensland coast, the box jellyfish and estaurine crocs arrive with the commencement of the wet, and both can kill you. In a fairly horrible manner. The sharks are no worries relatively.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Nov, have you booked yet?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

Yes and no.  Booked FF miles plane tickets but not hotels or anything else.  Had planned to but since we are going in Feb lots of wedding stuff for Nov seems to be keeping me from getting to it.  Why do you ask?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Where are you flying in to?  Sydney?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

Yes, flying to and from Sydney.  Thinking about skipping Bali and doing two weeks in Australia and one week in NZ.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Just wondering! Was reading the post last night, and thought I would ask. It all seems so exciting!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

It is exciting and I am so looking forward to this!  We wish we could spend more time on planning this but I guess the good part about going on your HM months after the wedding is that there will be time to plan after the wedding (I hope). 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gonzo130. Show Gonzo130's posts

November, are you planning this yourself or are you using a travel agent?  I posted a while back about Australia and New Zealand and Prill's and Kiwi's posts sold me.  We haven't made any headway and though I travel reasonably frequently and have never used a travel agent before, I feel daunted at booking this all myself.  We've contacted a few travel agents but none have called us back.  So, if you are using a travel agent, would you mind sharing the name?  If you are doing it yourself, how is it going?  Any tips?  Thanks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

In Response to Anyone go to Bali, Australia, New Zealand?:
    [QUOTE]Looking for any recommendations can get about traveling to these places for our HM.  How long did you go for?  What time of year?  Book yourself or through an agent or with tour group?  Any advice, web sites or books you would suggest?  Thank you!
    Posted by november2009[/QUOTE]

We went to Bali on our honeymoon as part of honeymoon tour through Southeast Asia.  We also went to Thailand, Singapore and Hong Kong.  Just a disclaimer, we did this almost 18 years ago. 

We did book through a travel agent, mostly because we were going to all these different places.  You could probably do Bali on your own.  We only stayed 2 days, in a resort--so this was the "relaxing" part of our honeymoon--we still did a few touristy things there.  We found that 2 days on Bali was not enough.  We could have easily spent our 2 week vacation touring all of Indonesia.

One thing we found was that people there are really laid back, laid back to the point that we almost missed our flight leaving Bali because our ground transport kept telling us we had plenty of time! 

We went in October which is a very good time of year there, except for the fact that we could not go in the ocean because of the influx of jellyfish they were having at the time.  Not sure if that was par for the course on October or if it was a random occurence.

We really did enjoy it and intend to go back.  However, you might want to check out the state department's web site.  Travelling to Indonesia is not especially safe right now.  We've looked into it a few times, but feel that it is not the right climate to take our 2 children into right now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Truth be told, if you are only going to NZ and Oz, you can probably do most of your arrangements online, without the use of a travel agent.

There are also super cheap flights to Australia at the moment (like $600 return) as the competition is heating up with Virgin and Delta now doing US - Sydney.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

Hi, We are not using a travel agent since both of us have traveled a lot and have planned far away and relatively long trips like this one on our own.  Also, after posting on several boards recieved no recommendations for travel agents just recommendations for tours which are not our thing.  We are both kind of adventurous travelers and do not mind having to choose where to go, sleep and eat on the go which helps a lot since I do not feel like we have to have everything booked before we leave.  I think we are being especially lax in planning this trip since we are so busy with wedding and have three months after to plan this trip and everywhere we are going English is spoken. 
    As for tips on places to start your search I find tripadvisor.com to be very helpful, especially the travel forums.  I also found through friends a Syndey native and someone who worked in NZ for 5 years and they have been very helpful with ideas for things to do and the order in which to do them.  I always like to get ideas from the non-tourist perspective to find out what the locals do for fun.  I have checked out of the library but not read yet the Rough Guide and DK's Eyewitness Guides to Australia and New Zealand.  Find these two series cover sort of the high and low end bases of travel.  I have also signed up for the newsletters from several airlines to see if we can get good deals on our flights while there (Quantas, Sky West, Virgin Blue). Hope this is of some help. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Sounds great!

Accommodation etc while on the go has become my new thing - I never would have even thought about trying it before, but did it for a weekend away last year and haven't looked back since.  I guess the only thing I would recommend would be having your first night or two in Sydney booked somewhere. And be sure to do a bit of research on this one - as some that are really close to the city can be in pretty sketchy areas, or, despite their close proximity to the city are on the north side of the harbor (the main part is on the south side of the harbor), so you would forerever be catching trains, buses and cabs back and forward.

This said, it is a really easy city to walk around.

Feel free to ask here if you need any ideas/suggestions.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gonzo130. Show Gonzo130's posts

Thanks for your advice. I usually book trips myself so I don't know why I feel so daunted.  We've ordered some books and are planning to plan ourselves.  I'm very excited to go there!