California Wine Country - Recommendations?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

California Wine Country - Recommendations?

Just booked my flight for the honeymoon - SFO here we come! We're planning to do a few days in the city and then a day in Napa and a day in Sonoma. Can anyone recommend a place to stay that's kind of between the two? We've never been to this part of California. We'll take all the recommendations we can get!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

Re: California Wine Country - Recommendations?

The distance between Napa and Sonoma is 15/20 miles. I like the hotels in Napa. I usually stay at a different place everytime I go. Google Napa hotels. There are different types of hotels and prices.  Drive to Sonoma and come back the same day. That is when less pack and go.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

If you're going to Napa, you should do the wine train.  Look at the hotels that are at the end of the train because, by the time you get there, you will need one.  ;)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Cici, I don't know where we're staying in the city. Everyone suggests Fisherman's Wharf. I think I can use my Mastercard points at the Hilton in Union Square but I'm awesomely bad at picking hotels.

Lucy, you're about the 20th person to recommend the wine train. It's definitely on our list!

Glad to hear they're so close. I know nothing about the area!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdw1003. Show kdw1003's posts

Two years ago I went to SF and Napa with my FI.  We stayed at the Hilton Fisherman's Wharf and the River Terrace Inn in Napa.  We booked both through Priceline's Name your Own Price.  They were very affordable and close to a variety of restaurants/shops/etc. 

We didn't think Fisherman's wharf was too touristy...but we did go in January...which isn't considered "high time". 

Good luck and enjoy!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mo41083. Show Mo41083's posts

DH and I spent a whole week in Napa and Sonoma in October for our honeymoon. We stayed for four nights at the Old World Inn in Napa (walking distance to the wine train, which we did go on one night and it was great, I'd recommend springing for the glass dome cart) and then three nights in Windsor, CA (Sonoma Valley, not the actual town of Sonoma) in the French cottage at Windrose Romantic Cottages.  I loved both of them for different reasons.

Old World Inn was great if you want to be in the thick of things and feel like socializing on your honeymoon.  They have a huge dining room table and serve a great breakfast every morning at 9 and everyone staying at the inn sits around the big table and talk about what they did the day before and what they're up to that day.  We really enjoyed it, plus they also have a wine tasting hour in the late afternoon where most people came back again and sat around to talk before going to dinner.  It is walking distance to downtown which has lots of great restaurants and shops.  It's also only about a 15 minute drive to St. Helena Highway which I like to think of as the Route 1 of wineries because it was so densely packed with vineyards and tasting rooms. My favorite vineyards in Napa were Cakebread and Grgich Hills.  I'd skip the tour and tasting at Nickles and Nickles unless you're huge cab fan, it was $40 per person and a little stuffy for the casual wine drinker.  Unfortunately COPIA is no more, I didn't believe the website and made DH walk over there with me, but it was all boarded up.

The Windrose Cottages are small three-room individual cottages set next to a farm in Windsor.  We loved following the Old World Inn with the cottage because we were ready to relax and the inn keepers had set up the cottage with plenty of breakfast foods (breads, fruits, a belgium waffle maker and mix, etc) and a bottle of wine with cheese, grapes, and breadsticks the first night we were there.  There was also a private hot tub in the back of the cottage. After eating and drinking so much in Napa it was nice to be a little more relaxed and we only went to one vineyard the whole three days were were there and then to a couple tasting rooms in Healdesburg because we were having too much fun being lazy and driving around, the countryside is beautiful there.  I'd highly recommend going to Kunde Estate for a tasting (or a winemaker's dinner, if they happen to have one while you're there) the grounds are amazing and the wine is even better, try the barbera if they have it. We happened to be there for Halloween so we went to the Hallow-winemaker's Dinner in the wine caves. 

I want to go back now!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I wouldn't stay at Fisherman's Wharf.  Honestly, the airport Hilton is pretty nice, has decent views, and is much, much cheaper than Union Square or Fisherman's Wharf.  But, if you're looking for somewhere in between, you don't want San Francisco at all.  You want, like, Vallejo (where you could go to Marine World, which is super cool).

Also, go to Alcatraz!  What says romance like prison?  (Ok, maybe not, but the tour is pretty interesting).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

and be sure to ask for Vicky ;)

In Response to Re: California Wine Country - Recommendations?:
    Also, go to Alcatraz!  What says romance like prison?  (Ok, maybe not, but the tour is pretty interesting).
    Posted by lucy7368

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Thanks everyone for your recommendations! Keep 'em coming! I'm going to look into all of them!

The plan is to stay in San Francisco from Sunday to Wednesday, then drive up to Napa/Sonoma and stay there from Wednesday to Saturday.

I've also booked the night tour for Alcatraz on our second night. It cracks me up that I'm taking my new husband to prison for our honeymoon!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: California Wine Country - Recommendations?:
    I've also booked the night tour for Alcatraz on our second night. It cracks me up that I'm taking my new husband to prison for our honeymoon!
    Posted by FriarGirl03

I suspect that you can buy him a ball and chain at the gift shop.  Wink

Seriously, though, I grew up near San Francisco.  Let me know if you have any questions.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Someone suggested Nob Hill?  I inadvertantly picked a hotel there for a business trip, and it was right next to a XXX gay theater.  Yes, it was a short walk from Union Sq., but it was a world away.  The sushi bar on the other side of the theater was good, though. LOL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

The night tour at Alcatraz is awesome! Be prepared, though, I found it to be much creepier than I expected. Must have been the combination of the stories and the sound effects (they have a special nighttime sound effects "show"--clanging, groans, etc.)

As for a vineyard recommendation, we LOVED, LOVED Schramsberg. They do sparkling wine/champagne. So yummy and romantic. We loved the wines so much that we had them especially brought in for our wedding toast.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redflatshoe. Show redflatshoe's posts

I was just there!  I stayed at Tuscan Inn Bestwestern at Fisherman's wharf.  I like that area because I can walk anywhere and still see some great spots.  

I went to Ghirardellli sq and had an afternoon tea at a british tea salon.  Then I went to pier 33 hoping to sea some seals, but they left for the winter already. 

I also got tickets for Teatro Zinzanni - the most amazing cabaret show you will ever see and very sexy. 

Go to the night tour of the Alcatraz, it is more intense.  Also take a 1-2 hour trip to the Winchester Mansion (the supposedly haunted house with over 100 rooms). 
    For the wine tour, I went to the Sattui winery, that place was gorgeous and the price was just right - I bought a case of wine there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from candice211. Show candice211's posts

hi Friar Girl - my fiancee and I spent 10 days in Sonoma in late Sept 08.  we LOVED it there.  we stayed in 2 places - and the first i would NOT recommend.  the place we stayed that we loved was actually in glen ellen (which is right next to sonoma county) - the cottages at glen ellen inn.
    http://www.glenelleninn.com/

by far our favorite wineries were in the russian river valley (and we visited about 25 between sonoma, glen ellen, healdsburg).  it is SO pretty and scenic there.  we loved healdsburg as well, and if we go back we will stay there.

there was one other resort in sonoma we had spa appts and dinner there that i could recommend - http://www.macarthurplace.com/

best of luck!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

candice, those are my favorite CA wines, the Russian River Valley ones!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

I stayed in Fisherman's Wharf, also at the Tuscan Inn, when I went in '08 and have no complaints about the area or the hotel.  We could walk to a lot of attractions, plus the trolley was nearby.  

We also stayed in the Secret Cottages at the Glen Ellen Inn!  I thought it was nice, but if we go again I think we'll splurge on the Gaige House up the street.  The food at the Glen Ellen Inn was excellent.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Scoma's Restaurant on Fisherman's Wharf is awesome.  Went there on a business trip on the recommendation of a friend - sooooo good.

I wouldn't avoid staying somewhere in that area.  Yes, it's touristy, but so what?  It's a short walk to fun stuff, great restaurants, the trolley, and has good views...what's not to like?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

About Fisherman's Wharf, the only problem I would have staying in a touristy area is the potential for noise. I just imagine there would be a lot of bustle later at night.

Does anyone know anything about The Stanford Court or Warwick Hotels in SFO?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

There's also more crime in touristy areas, and everything costs more.  With San Franciso's public transportation system, you'll have an easy time getting around no matter where you are.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from vickidunk. Show vickidunk's posts

My fiance and I actually just went to Napa and Sonoma in early July. We stayed at the Kenwood Inn which is in Sonoma. It was an absolutely amazing resort! The service was perfect and the inn was secluded and would be perfect for a honeymooner. Very quiet but rustic at the same time. They have a restaurant there as well where we ate dinner and it was honestly one of the best meals I have ever had. And, again, the service was fantastic. Check them out! www.kenwoodinn.com

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from miss-cellaneousJones. Show miss-cellaneousJones's posts

If you are a foodie at all I would recommend having dinner at the CIA (Culinary Institute of America). My husband and I traveled to Napa back in 2004 and had dinner there - is was excellent.