Cancun (but not honeymoon)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Cancun (but not honeymoon)

I'd publish this in "Travel" but think I'll get more helpful advice here!

DH and I have just decided to go to Cancun - in 2 weeks!!  It's a long story (friend has timeshare that is about to expire), but the short of it is, I know NOTHING about Cancun!  I searched on this forum, but only came up with a couple of messages about it from around a year back.

I would love to hear anything about it from any of you who have been there!  We are staying at the Royal Sands (because that's where the timeshare is).

TIA!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Re: Cancun (but not honeymoon)

Hi Poppy!  Oh fantastic!  Have a fabulous time!  I went to Cancun back in 2003 and I *loved* it!  A few things that were so much fun:

* Xel-ha:  it is an all inclusive park on the coast where a river meets the ocean.  That means the water has a special salt concentration making for interesting snorkeling (so they say).  I *loved* it!  We spent the whole day and there are tons of things to do: snorkel, lots of food, underwater caves to swim through, swimming with dolphins!  I highly recommend it!

*  Mayan Ruins:  we did day trips to both Tulum and Chichen Itza.  Loved them both!  Tulum is on the coast and is beautiful!  It is actually very close to Xel-Ha, so I think we did a combined trip with a tour group we booked at the hotel.  Chichen Itza is farther away (I think a few hours from Cancun), but it was amazing!!!  This is where they have the big pyramid the Mayans are famous for.  It was a wonderful day trip.

*  Isla Mujeres:  gorgeous island a short boat trip from Cancun.  We spent the day here also part of a day trip from our hotel.  I think the resort was  called Garrafon?  It has beautiful beach and snorkeling, good food, hammocks to lay in.  We also took a quick trip to the town for shopping.  It was so much fun!

These are the things I remember off the top of my head.  We booked the day trips through the desk at our hotel.  They were pricey, but well worth it.  I *loved* Cancun!  We were there for a week and did these tours.  The rest of hte time we enjoyed the beach (with HUGE waves!), explored the town and restaurants.  It is one of the best vacations I've ever done.  Of course, we went off season in Oct away from the Spring Break craziness.  I loved that we got a beach vacation combined with cool sight seeing and history.  Have a great time!

PS.  We stayed at the Sheraton Cancun.  Not sure if your place is all inclusive or not, but ours wasn't and we felt fine venturing off on our own.  We took the bus to the downtown area and went shopping, which was a lot of fun!  If you do that, be sure to bargain with them!  I got a lot of deals that way on great touristy crap.  :)  We also had our hair braided, which was fun, but they kind of ripped us off by charging more at the end than they told us it would be, which was a little annoying.  Oh well, the exchange rate was pretty favorable back then, not sure how it is now!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

I went to Cancun on Spring Break my junior year, but that is a totally different experiece ;o)

The beaches are gorgeous, though! I am so jealous, you will have a blast!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

We also went to Isla Mujeres.  There are a bunch of ways to take a boat trip for the day.  I think we spent $50 per person to take a catamaran w/ open bar, go snorkeling, go shopping at Isla Mujeres, and then have a buffet lunch.  Very fun!

If your hotel is in the hotel zone (I think that's what it's called - basically the main road), it's easy enough to hop on the bus to go downtown to the shops and clubs.  Much cheaper than a cab.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

have also been to the area but stayed in rivera maya area.  the royal resorts have about 5 timeshares in that area so you can beach/pool/restaurant hop.  pls be warned i have heard the beach in front of the royal sands was destroyed by one of the hurricanes a couple of years ago and is barely there.  they have been working on it though so hopefully some of it has been restored.  each resort has a market that you can order food and have it delivered to your room. prices are reasonable and worth it for the staples you might want in the room.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks everyone!  This is all so, so helpful.  My biggest concern is the water - I drink like 100 ounces of water a day, and can't really have sugary drinks and won't be drinking alcohol too much because we're TTC.  I'm assuming bottled water is available everywhere?  Also, I wonder if the hotels filter their water at all?  After that scene in Sex in the City, I'm NOT opening my mouth in the shower!!  And a friend said to avoid salads and fruit that could have been washed in the water.

allready - I heard that about the beach, so hopefully we'll be able to use stretches of beach not right in front of our hotel. 

I'm absolutely hoping to go to Isla Mujeres and Xel-ha!  And it's good to hear the trip to town is easy. 

I think I'll pick up a book this weekend.

Thanks again!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

we had NO issues with water.   we drank bottled but showered and brushed teeth without any issues.  we bought bags of ice in the market vs making ice.  i also had ice that was in mixed drinks both in resorts and restaurants and was absolutely fine.  they say DO NOT drink the water on tours to ruins etc, always bottled!  salads and fruits were fine as well in the resorts and restaurants again avoid on tours.  i will say the fruit we had was not the greatest as in ripeness so if you didn't eat any no big deal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Yeah, we bought bottled water easily everywhere and had no problems.  They have it in the hotel room, but charge a LOT for it.  We found a small convenience store in the hotel that was cheaper and then found an independent store a short walk away that was even cheaper than that. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from --jess--. Show --jess--'s posts

We went here last year and loved it.

My favorite was Xcaret it is an eco park and there were lots of fun things to do, the underwater river was very fun as was swimming with dolphins and the sea trek.

(Also loved Isla Mujeres, Chichen Itza, Playa del Carmen, and the beaches)

Also we had no trouble finding bottled water it was everywhere.  Most places filter the water and I was moderately careful (no drinking tap water that wasn't heated but eating lots of veggies and even brushing my teeth with the water in the bathroom) and had absolutely no trouble. 

If you are worried about stomache issues...I went to the Dr before I left and he gave me an antibiotics perscription just in case.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

We just got back - it was great!  I would absolutely recommend it.  Very relaxing.  We took one day trip to Tulum and Xel-Ha - awesome!  I really wanted to go to Isla Mujeres, but the waters were SO rough I was terrified of taking a ferry! 

One thing I'd say about planning a trip there in January - it's VERY windy!

Oh, and we had NO trouble with the water - thank goodness!  The imodium was not needed.

Anyway, just wanted to circle back around!  Thanks for all your advice!  Kiss

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

How was the beach in front of the resort?  We are thinking about heading back but most likely will stay at the Royal Haciendas.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

The beach was fine, although a little unusual... There was lots of dry, sandy beach from the hotel front to the shoreline - plenty for everyone to lay out and not have it be crowded, but then right at the shoreline there's a drop-off of between 3-5 feet down to the actual water... so every morning the hotel staff made sure to shovel out "steps" from the dry part of the beach down to the water.  You can walk along the water - if the tide is low enough you don't get wet, but if the tide is high you definitely will (but you can still walk). :)  We actually kind of liked the way it was because it wasn't crowded at the water's edge.

Here's a picture:

Royal Haciendas sounded cool to me because the coral reef is accessible there.  I wanted to go over there but it was about an hour's bus ride...

Have fun!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Royal Haciendas is cool and we did snorkel the reef.  It was a bit scary because the water is not that deep and easy to scratch yourself on it.  A couple of days the water was rough so we didn't snorkel for fear of getting hurt.  One of the pools also had a sunken deck around the pool you could put your lounge chair or just sit in the shallow water.  Wow that is unusual about the beach.  After a drink or 2 at happy hour you better watch it if you are on the beach:)
    Thanks for the pic.

Sections
Shortcuts