Exploring Mexico (cancun) any advice?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ekg123. Show ekg123's posts

Isla Mujeres is a small island off of cancun. Beautiful beaches and small town feel - very different from cancun. It is a short ferry ride (I think about 45 minutes) from cancun. Highly recommended for a day trip or an overnight.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WMegs5. Show WMegs5's posts

I went on tours book through the concierge at my hotel, but I would definitely recommend visiting Xel-Ha. If my memory serves me correctly, it is near Tulum and definitely worth a visit if you enjoy snorkeling. http://www.xelha.com/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from msol. Show msol's posts

Your hotel should have a Concierge Service to help you with activities. When I went to Mexico (Playa del Carmen) we did some day trips, but they were w/ a group and on a bus. The day trip we took to the ruins was actually w/ a small group (12 person bus/van) and we had our own tour guide. I would think that a car service or taxi is more money then going on a tour bus.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from alisonf143. Show alisonf143's posts

Edventure Tours all the way! (http://www.edventuretours.com.mx)

They are a local company that does private tours. We used them a few years ago and still say it was one of the best days of our lives! Just a suggestion, I would recommend the Riviera Maya rather than Cancun. There are some great, smaller all-inclusives and you are away from the the college/party atmosphere. I have planned many trips to mexico for myself as well as friends so let me know if you need suggestions!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kel96. Show kel96's posts

I've been to Cancun tons of times and we've rented cars before without any problems. But definitely check with your hotel because they should have an excursion list with reliable companies. If you want to just go downtown in Cancun to shop or eat, take the bus. It's very easy and very cheap and they in front of almost every hotel on the strip. Have fun!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

Alison- thanks for the name. Will look into it. We really went back and forth with this... where to go. Cancun was about by 15th option. My other half was raised on boiled irish food, and the tex mex that I make at home sends him right to... enough said. so we wanted numerous restaurants (we have 5 and we have a sister hotel with another 10). We are also going in mid Feb, so I am assuming there won't be the usual college groups... with time restrictions (we have another wedding at the end of the week) we wanted to minimize flight time and we got a financial deal, so, cancun it is. however, I am all about exploring and not just sitting by the pool (or a dance club in cancun).

MSOL- I should probably call the concierge... the hotel has a car rental place, so I felt we were all set before I heard the stories about getting pulled over. the smaller bus seems managable (in PR, there were like 50 people on the bus and it felt like we had to stop at every single hotel).

Thanks!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

thanks- we leave tomorrow!! very excited!!!!
    wedding review will come after we get back!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

We have decided on Cancun for a variety of reasons for our honeymoon. We are staying at what seems to be a nice, all inclusive resort that provides a variety of restaurants, water sports, etc.

My main question is about exploring the country. We wanted to day trip to the ruins, and Tulum and Playa del Carmen. We are trying to avoid a long bus trip- particularly after spending several long, sunburned hours on one in Puerto Rico last year. However, I have been inundated with stories about being pulled over by local police for bribes and other scary adventures we were hoping to avoid. Has anyone used/found a car service or used taxis for these kinds of day trips? Or had a decent experience renting a car? I have driven in other foreign countries before...
    thanks

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lakehousegirl. Show Lakehousegirl's posts

Winter, we just got back from Cancun and here is my #1 recommendation:

* We took a tour to Chichen Itza (mayan ruins) and stayed overnight at Hotel Mayaland. This tour was great and it was nice to spend the night because it is a 3 hour bus trip. They also stopped at a ceynote (underground river prevalent in the Yucatan), on a Mayan reservation and a store filled with local hand-crafts.
    * I would definitely recommend Isla Mujeras and Xel-Ha as well.

We did not rent a car, but the Hilton had a car rental right in the lobby, so it would have been very easy. I would not worry about driving or renting a car as the roads to most tourist destinations are in very good shape and they are easily marked. The Yucatan Peninsula is filled with tourists and I have a hard time believing any of the scare tactics about police bribing you, etc. I never felt nervous and we visited downtown Cancun several times on the bus and we were the only non-Mexicans on the bus most times. Also, most of the destinations for the tours are no more than 2-3 hours away. We didn't feel trapped at all. As for The Hotel strip in Cancun, you really feel like you are in Vegas, its very un-Mexican in my opinion, beautiful, but very Americanized. You have to head downtown for a bit more of the local culture. Good luck and have fun. We LOVED the locals, we got lost in downtown 2x and people immediately helped us out even with our very broken spanish.

Sections
Shortcuts