Fall weekend anniversary trip

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tinshee. Show tinshee's posts

My husband and I are planning a weekend trip for our anniversary, which falls this year during Columbus Day weekend. We would like to go north (NH, ME) but stay near the coast. Any suggestions of places to go? - towns to visit and/or hotels/inns to check out? Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

We went to Bar Harbor a few weeks ago. It is absolutely gorgeous. Acadia National Park will keep you plenty busy [esp if you like to bike, hike, canoe or kayak]. Bar Harbor itself has plenty of restaurants and shops too. It's worth the drive. HTH!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bishky. Show Bishky's posts

I'm a native of Maine, and I have to second the rec for Bar Harbor. It's one of my favorite places! That said, you may want to call one of the hotels up there and ask about the environment/atmosphere during October. Most of Maine's touristy areas clear out over Labor Day weekend. That could be a good thing as far as crowds and privacy go, but it'll be good to know that plenty of shops and restaurants will still be open. :)

Also, it's not the coast, but NH/VT border (up near Hanover, Norwich, Woodstock, etc.) is a gorgeous area, too. The leaves should be changing right around then, and there are plenty of lakes, as well as the CT River, if water is your thing.

Happy (upcoming) Anniversary!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethb287. Show bethb287's posts

Wentworth by the Sea in NH
    Portland, Maine (there are several newer hotels in the Old Port area)
    Woodstock Inn, VT (obviously not the coast, but lovely that time of year)
    Wentworth and Woodstock are pricey, but there are other hotels in the area which are very nice and you can always go to these for drinks or a meal.

Columbus Day weekend is popular in ME, NH....you'd better call for reservations now. I'd leave early Saturday morning to avoid the Friday night traffic nightmare (esp on 128) and then you are paying for one less hotel night, too! My anniversary is in September and we have done all of the above.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Boothbay Harbor, ME!!!!!

Not quite as long a ride as Bar Harbor but lots to do and see and oh, so beautiful.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carolyn1104. Show carolyn1104's posts

Alf; DH and I are going to Bar Harbor in two weeks. Do you have any suggestions for where to eat? We thought the Mexican place looked good (and inexpensive) but we're also looking for something for saturday night, maybe something a bit fancy, even. Tough part is that I don't eat seafood. (I know, I know.)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[Quote]
    Alf; DH and I are going to Bar Harbor in two weeks. Do you have any suggestions for where to eat? We thought the Mexican place looked good (and inexpensive) but we're also looking for something for saturday night, maybe something a bit fancy, even. Tough part is that I don't eat seafood. (I know, I know.)
    [/Quote]

Let me try to remember where we ate! We did do Mexican one night [I actually think its Brazilian?] and it was fine. My backside was killing from biking all day so I was more concerned w/ my tookus than my meal though! lol. Actually, it was called Rupunuini's. I remember the silly name.

McKays Public House was really good. DH insisted we go b/c that is our last name. The food was excellent, but the service was a bit slow. If you like long, lingering dinners, it's fine. DH wants to eat and leave or he gets antsy.

There is a really good deli across from McKay's too. We got sandwiches there to take on hikes. They do breakfast too, but we didn't have breakfast there, so I can't comment on it.

We went to Jordan's Restaurant [the one in Acadia not the one downtown] for lunch the day we went biking. It was really good although the menu selection is slim. I was starving so I didn't really care. :-) The popovers are really good.

We ate breakfast at our hotel every day [we stayed at the Wonderview and the restaurant is called the Rhinehart room - not sure about the spelling on that one]. Service can be a bit slow.

You will have tons of fun. Def. go biking. It's the best way to see the park. Good luck!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

one of my brothers & his wife went up to North Conway, NH for columbus day weekend. they wouldn't do it again.

normally North Conway is a quiet town, but it gets real busy during columbus day weekend. they were saying the traffic, etc. was horrendous.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[Quote]
    one of my brothers & his wife went up to North Conway, NH for columbus day weekend. they wouldn't do it again.

normally North Conway is a quiet town, but it gets real busy during columbus day weekend. they were saying the traffic, etc. was horrendous.
    [/Quote]

North Conway is always like that during tourist season [summer or leaf season]. I've always gotten stuck in traffic there. However, it is beautiful and the scenery you get to look at while sitting in traffic is much nicer than the scenery you look at while stuck in traffic in Boston. The traffic is not nearly as bad as Boston either; you won't be sitting there forever - it's just surprising b/c you don't expect traffic in smaller towns.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carolyn1104. Show carolyn1104's posts

Thanks for the advice, Alf. I'm sure it'll be lots of fun! I'll let you know where we end up.

Sections
Shortcuts