Fear of flying?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Fear of flying?

DH and I are leaving for our honeymoon a month from today.  I'm scared to death of flying.  The closer it gets, the more anxious I get about the flight.  Anybody else have a fear of flying?  What do you do/take to calm yourself down?

I'm worried that I may pull a "Rain Man" in the terminal.  LOL!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Re: Fear of flying?

I get boozed up at the airport bar...no joke.

And truth be told, more people get killed in car accidents than in plane accidents. There is like a one in a bajillion chance of anything happening. People fly everyday, planes land safely thounsands of times a day. You have nothing to worry about! :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

A dramamine before take off and two glasses of wine with the meal (usually I am flying internationally). Works like a charm every time! :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Dramamine works for me.  I can't say I'm fearful of flying, but I do get motion sick and dread that.  Dramamine makes me sleepy.

You can also get a short term, small prescription for Ativan or some other anti-anxiety medication for the trip.  They can prescribe 4 pills, non-refillable for instance.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

If its an early morning flight I usually have a couple (or a few) bloody mary's. I can't sleep on any moving thing so it relaxes me. I dont have a "fear" necessarily but I don't love to fly.

My  husband has an intense fear of flying, and he finally went to the doctor and got a prescription to take only when he has to fly - he's flying to London next month, so hopefully this stuff works! :-)

Also, I stock up on magazines, books, and make sure I have headphones and an ipod (if your ipod plays movies that is even better...really  helps to pass the time.)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

I love Dramamine!  I get motion sickness and it makes me feel relaxed and a bit sedated.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm not against alcohol to relax, per se, but one word of caution.  If you tend to get motion sick, I'd strongly advise against drinking to take care of the nerves issue.  I'd rather be anxious and NOT vomiting than air sick having had a few drinks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Nurses I knew at a hospital told me about Bonine.  It doesn't have the side effects of Dramamine but is great for any motion sickness and a little calming down.  Have you flown before and really mind it or is it just being afraid that you will get panicky on board?  I never thought I would be able to stay in such an enclosed space for a long period of time, but my first flight was when I had the chance to go to Hawaii - talk about an initiation!  Took a Bonine that morning before breakfast and never minded the flight at all.  Now I actually enjoy flying, even the take off and landing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Epigal. Show Epigal's posts

If you just want to sleep through it, I take Tylenol PM. Takes about 30 minutes to work, and then you just pass out for a few hours, which is great.  I also agree with kargiver about the short-term anti-anxiety meds, just something to help you get through the flights.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdd01. Show jdd01's posts

My FI is deathly afraid of flying and takes two different kinds of anxiety medication before a flight.  We took a practice flight to New York before we had a big trip to Mexico last year and he took three of each med (6 pills total one way) and a glass of wine for the 28 minute flight to New York.  He cried like a baby on the flight and was completely knocked out once we landed in New York, but he got on a plane.  He started to pull the same act on our trip to Mexico and I kind of yelled at him to get his act together and that I wasn't going to baby him this time and he did absolutely amazing on that flight.  His trick was to take his meds like usual, but once the flight was about to take off he put his head to his knees and stayed there a few minutes until the plane leveled in the air.  He said this helped his anxiety level because he didn't feel the G-force as much and was able to concentrate on his breathing.  If I could only show you the difference between the NY trip and the Mexico trip, you wouldn't believe it was the same person...all because he put his head to his knees during take off.  I would still recommend some form of medication, but try this trick as well to see if it helps.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I ALWAYS put my head on knees during takeoff and landing because it is the only thing I have figured out that keeps me from throwing up (sorry for the TMI).  I get SO motionsick on airplanes.  My husband is convinced that I am secretly afraid of flying, which I am not at all.  It's just what I figured out that I need to do, after one too many horrible nausea experiences.  It works WAY better than dramamine for me.  Anyway, it's funny that it reduces the feeling that makes people frightened too.  Don't tell my husband!  :p

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

DH has a few drinks at the bar, but his mother and brother take a xanax. They say it works like a charm.
    If you are really that afraid, I see no reason your doctor wouldn't give you one or two xanax or other anxiety meds just for the trip.

I've been flying since I was 5, so I'm luckily not afraid of it at all.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

ask your doctor.  I used to take xanas.  LOVED IT!!!

I was working in a high-travel job when I developed my fear.  Took the xanax for awhile and then decided the anxiety took too much energy and somehow 'got over it!'

But in the meantime, the anti-anxiety meds worked.

Also, look around the plane and see - you are not alone - rational people fly every day - the attendants actually WORK on planes! 

Also, watch the movie!!!!!  It really serves to take your mind off the flight.  And have a really great book with you.  (I find magazines don't take enough concentration - they don't distract you enough from the flight.)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Fear of flying?:
    [QUOTE]Nurses I knew at a hospital told me about Bonine.  It doesn't have the side effects of Dramamine but is great for any motion sickness and a little calming down.  Have you flown before and really mind it or is it just being afraid that you will get panicky on board?  I never thought I would be able to stay in such an enclosed space for a long period of time, but my first flight was when I had the chance to go to Hawaii - talk about an initiation!  Took a Bonine that morning before breakfast and never minded the flight at all.  Now I actually enjoy flying, even the take off and landing.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

tt, I have to second Bonine for motion sickness prevention without side effects having heard from a friend that he (and everyone else) took it while he was a contractor on an aircraft carrier.  Even the most hearty stomach got queasy out there, and Bonine saved them without drowsiness.  They couldn't have done their jobs half asleep...or vomiting.

However, the drowsiness of Dramamine is a plus on a long flight, IMO.  And, if you do get sick and stay sick long after the flight is over (as I do), you can take a Dramamine before you go to bed and wake up totally fine.

kmt, please give us an update!  How did your flight and honeymoon go?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Hi Kar!  Everything went well, thanks so much for asking!  I made it through the flight, with the only issue being a small crying episode when the plane took off on the way to Chicago.  :)  I did great on the way home though!

Our honeymoon was a blast!  It rained in Chicago for the first three days, but we made the best of it anyway.  We tried a bunch of restaurants, did some shopping, checked out the Lincoln Park Zoo, went to a Cubs game, and we were able to get some Bears tickets at the last minute.  My DH and I both agree hands down that the Bears game was the highlight of the trip.  We're both huge Patriots fans, but it was fun to check out a new football stadium.

And now we're looking forward to moving into our new condo and picking up our new puppy next week!!!  It's been an exciting month for us.  Smile

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

YAY!!  Congrats on conquering your fear!  I always cry when I'm overwhelmed.  Hate that.  Anyways...no biggie!

What a great honeymoon.  Bet you wish you could snap your fingers and be reliving it.

New puppy?!  How exciting!  And scary.  Check out my thread I started in June that has "Crate training" in the title.  There's a lot of good advice that folks here gave me in answer to my trials and tribulations, concerns and questions.  Our pup was 8 weeks old when we got her, and I cried every day (did I mention I cry when I'm overwhelmed?) for a month.  She's 5 months old, now, and is becoming more fun by the week.  Having a young, unhousebroken, untrained puppy is NOT the "how fun!" experience people think it is...  Good luck!

Welcome back!

~kar