French/Italian Riviera?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

French/Italian Riviera?

Has anyone ever visited or spent time on the Mediterranean between Nice and Cinque Terre?  We are honeymooning there and would love recommendations for things to see and do and eat and drink!  (All we know for sure is that we are going to do the Cinque Terre hike through the five towns - but that's it at this point!)  Going in September. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: French/Italian Riviera?

Not sure where Cinque Terre is, but I can imagine.  I have been to Nice and along the coast in either direction.  Monte Carlo (Monaco) was very cool to see.  Nice was kind of a yucky city with rocky beaches.  It did have a cute little area with restaurants.  Might have been the old city or something along those lines.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

I've never been, but Cinque Terre is like my parent's favorite place on this earth.  That can't be a bad thing! :-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Nice is still a working port, and a population center worth visiting.  There are other nicer sandy beaches, so plan something other than lying on the beach.
           I visited with a friend, and we spent hours walking the seaside promenade, went to the most amazing flower Market, then went to a museum of history and spent all our time on two areas we had never known much about, with films as well as exhibits, on the Barbary Coast Pirates  and on the Active Nice components of the WWII French Resistance.  One small museum focuses on landscape artists of the area and as far north as Provence, with a section on decorative arts.  Two others we loved, features of the trip, were dedicated to Chagall and Matisse, with a great collection in each.  Loads more lithographs than I ever knew they did.  Not particularly time consuming, under 2 hours each but so worth it.
           We did something you won't and picked up a couple of sailors near what turned out to be the Quai -du-Commerce, shortly before noon, and spent 3 1/2 hours taking the high speed Nice to Calvi, Corsica ferry.  The high speed excursion ones run 3-4 hours without the extra 2 hours to load cars.   Great way to travel about 110 miles.  There are only a couple of ferries a day.  we stayed overnight and enjoyed an early evening return trip.      Corsica is rather like Sardinia, Sicily, and some Greek Islands-  amazing sights, but carefully take a dictionary with you to a good restaurant, or you will find yourself eating a 5" cross section of an eel  in broth or jelly (aspic)  or a goat, when you might prefer something else.
         So lots to do in Nice, save the laying on the beach for down the coast.  Even in Sept you can fry if you take a beach chair (set up like cruise ships do, along the promenade) which is about 5 bucks equiv for several hours.  But have a drink and  enjoy the steady breezes at 75 degrees and you can forget you are right along the Tropic of Cancer,  as far south as Havana Cuba.  The shore is best enjoyed outside of the mid-day hours, or from under the shade of a cafe umbrella.  It is not just a matter of sunscreen, the direct sun on your head can give you a headache.

Cinque Terre - On a different trip we took a ferry down from Genoa to the National Park  Cinque Terre, and did the walking paths from village to village.  You feel like a bird on a cliff when you open the window shutters from any lodgings in the villages.  The buildings are all like stacks of building blocks  stretching several stories  out of crevices in the rock,  more like they grew there than were built.
         It is beautiful, no climbing just walking, but steep ups and downs.  If you fear heights, you might want to ferry rather than walk place to place - no real roads.  The train feels hairier than walking with 2 feet planted on the earth of the footpaths, because of the way you travel behind rock walls and suddenly burst out near cliff sides.  But that may be just me-  I'm afraid of the car road ride down Mt. Washington though I have hiked to the summit too many times to count.  I think in CT it is the sudden hanging in space feelings.
         The paths look like the trails for wild burros or mountain goats, just you, rocks and the sea.  So beautiful, though.  We went on after 3 days through the Apennines to Tuscany then flew off.  I wish we had spent more time in the Park.