Hawaii Alternatives

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdw1003. Show kdw1003's posts

Hawaii Alternatives

There have been lots of discussions on this board about Hawaii.  Has anyone had experience for honeymoons at locals between Hawaii and Austrailia such as Fiji or French Polynesia?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Re: Hawaii Alternatives

If you have the budget for Fiji or FP, go for it! But for a lower budget HM, I have heard that St. Lucia is the "Hawaii" of the Caribbean.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

We are taking the 7 night cruise that leaves from Honolulu and stops at Maui (Kahului); Hilo; Kona; Kauai. We are spending three nights prior in Honolulu.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Ohh both fun HM's!!!

I have no idea where we are going yet. We know Aruba one week, but we want to go to another island for one more. Any suggestions??

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My brother and his wife honeymooned in Fiji, and LOVED it.  He's a world traveler and has been to Hawaii many times.  Fiji was worth it to them.  Sorry, no personal experience, but that's the best I've got!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

In Response to Re: Hawaii Alternatives:
    Ohh both fun HM's!!! I have no idea where we are going yet. We know Aruba one week, but we want to go to another island for one more. Any suggestions??
    Posted by Peonie

Maybe St. Marteen(sp) or St. Thomas?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ohh both fun HM's!!! I have no idea where we are going yet. We know Aruba one week, but we want to go to another island for one more. Any suggestions??
    Posted by Peonie

You won't want to leave Aruba; you'll regret leaving if you can spend 2 weeks there.  I get you think you want another experience, but...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claddaugh. Show Claddaugh's posts

I'm a big fan of the Sandals resorts- all inclusive makes it such an easy vacation. I've been to the one in St.Lucia and it was really lovely. Far from the airport tho- an hour long bus ride up some very steep mountain roads. Sandals in the Bahamas (the 'Grande') was really nice too. And they're much closer than Hawaii. I was in Aruba last October- stayed at the Radisson and would definitely go there again. While not all inclusive, it was within walking distance to many restaurants and there was even a Dunkin Donuts on the beach- great for the morning ice coffees!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

In Response to Re: Hawaii Alternatives : You won't want to leave Aruba; you'll regret leaving if you can spend 2 weeks there.  I get you think you want another experience, but...
    Posted by kargiver

Totally understand, Kar! I have been to Aruba 3 times with my family when I was a child. The last time I was 14, so I don't really remember it. Maybe we will go to another island first, THEN Aruba!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdw1003. Show kdw1003's posts

Thanks for the suggestions ladies.  We have a few more months until we have to make a decision.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I would look at Bali if I were you!  I've been to Indonesia, but never made it there.  But I will say Indonesia is gorgeous, the people are friendly, open, and hospitable.  And everyone I know who has been to Bali says it is just incredible.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

I've been to Fiji many years ago and it was beautiful (just check that it isn't typhoon season and that there is no political unrest).  If you have the $$, Samoa, French Polynesia and the Cook Islands are also beautiful, as is Australia.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

I second Prill's suggestion that you make sure the political situation is secure if you decide on Fiji. DH and I honeymooned there in 2006. We went there partly because we were already in New Zealand (DH is a Kiwi). We stayed at the Taveuni Island Resort. Taveuni is a 90 minute flight from Nadi. I would suggest looking for resorts outside of Nadi; the resorts near Nadi cater to a lot of families from both NZ and Australia. If you're interested in knowing more about our trip, let me know and I can give you more details.

DH and I are not divers, but the other couples in our resort who went out diving just raved about their experiences.

Many of our Kiwi friends have honeymooned in Rarotonga. Definitely worth checking out if you want something different.